R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Easy to Drive?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 08:03 AM
jggimi
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
“There is no doubt that customer preference plays a major role in determining what transmission designs to employ,” says Matthew S. Castiglione, group leader, R&D drivetrain engineering, at Southwest Research Institute's Engine, Emissions and Vehicle Research Div.

“Americans drive vehicles with step-ratio (planetary) automatics. Europeans tend to prefer manual transmissions, and CVTs continue to be important in the Asian market,” Castiglione says. “Another part of the equation is the fact that vehicles in America and Europe tend to be heavier with more powerful engines than in other markets; CVTs do not work well in these types of vehicles.”
Excerpt from "The Endangered Clutch Pedal", by Bill Visnic, published in Ward's AutoWorld, Apr 1, 2008, about the rapid changes in transmission technologies over the last two decades, focusing in detail on the new DCT transmissions produced by BorgWarner.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:42 AM
fronesis47
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RadishAttack
While I do not disagree with the supposition that driving a stick makes you a better driver (I did so for 10 years), in the US manual trannies are becoming extinct like dinosaurs. Other negative factors include poor resale and sitting in stop and go congested Cali (or east coast in my case) traffic constantly clutching in/out. Additionally the technology has now advanced so that in auto's such as VW's DSG better performance and mileage numbers can be obtained over a manual. Unless you are a big manual fan or want to save the money up front, then auto's these days make much sense for many folks.
All true! And while I would personally opt for a manual (even the best DSG transmissions just aren't the same, for me, in terms of driving fun), I agree with everything you say here -- good points.

I would only insist on one thing: even if you decide to buy an automatic, I think it's a really good idea to know how to drive a manual. I think you'll be a better driver, even in an automatic, if you have an understanding and a feel for how to control a car with a manual transmission.

And now I'll shut up about this, since I know it wasn't at all the main point of this thread. As to that, I think the MINI is a GREAT car in terms of 'easy to drive' in that it keeps you connected to the ride and aware of what's going on.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:51 PM
sfomini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SkinnyMINI
Ive ordered the MINI!!!!!!!!!!
Congratulations!!!! I predict you are going to love it. Welcome to the club/family/cult.

Tony

Old 06-11-2008, 10:39 PM
SkinnyMINI
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by fronesis47
I know it's completely none of my business, and I apologise for the unsolicited advice...

But if you're going to the work and effort involved to learn how to drive, then you really should learn how to drive a manual. It makes a huge difference to really understand and get the feel for how a car works, and to learn how to control your speed and really have control over the car. And it will reap huge rewards if later on you decide you enjoy 'spirited driving' or if you live some place with lots of ice and snow, where having a manual transmission really helps.

I live in the UK now, and over here you can't get a full driving licence in an automatic car. Almost all rental cars are manuals and almost everyone I know drives a manual. And it's a broad generalisation, I know, but people are better drivers overall here.
I can see your point in learning to drive a manual as well as an automatic.....but I dont see how being able to drive a manual would make me a better driver.

And at this point, I would rather just get comfy driving an automatic and be happy with the MINI rather than learning to drive a stick and getting stressed. My husbands new car (BMW 128i) is going to be a stick shift so I will have to learn if I want to drive his car, but for mine Id rather be stress free and just get an automatic.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:42 PM
SkinnyMINI
2nd Gear
THanks everyone for the feedback. I cant wait til it gets here. So the things installed by the dealer, you can change your mind up to what point?

Old 06-12-2008, 10:50 AM
eR1c
5th Gear
Get an auto transmission if that's what you want. Yet, manual usually gives better control of the car, -allowing you to choose when to shift and downshift.
W/ an auto the car shifts for you and doesn't always make the best decisions in my opinion. ...yet you'll probably never know the difference if you've never driven a manual. Personally I feel that manual adds another level of "fun" to driving. -and once your used to it, it's no more stressful or difficult than an automatic transmission.

congrat's on your new purchase, I am sure you'll LOVE it!

Old 06-12-2008, 10:53 AM
eR1c
5th Gear
So the things installed by the dealer, you can change your mind up to what point?
I just went through this... very easy. If you want to change your mind, i'd call the dealer who sold you your car now, yet they will call you when they get delivery of the vehicle to double check what you want don't want them to install. So, yes, you can change your mind. Just be sure to call your dealer as an extra pre-caution so they don't install stuff that you've changed your mind on.