R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 If Apple made a car...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 11:28 AM
drummergirl
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats on the plasma. I have a couple friends that got one and it works great as a monitor too. I don't own a tv, but after seeing how nice the images looked on the screen I was a bit tempted. I thought the computer images would look too far away since the screen was so large, but it really looked good. I ended up getting a 24 inch monitor though. Nothing like having some extra real estate when you are viewing stuff from a 13" laptop.

Yeah, my MINI is all set for now too. I have a Honda Element and when I bought that I decided on a basic model so that I could customize it as I liked. I ended up getting a few different things for it to make it special. When I ordered the MINI I took the exact opposite approach and souped it up at the factory so that I wouldn't need to do too much after I bought it. I added a killer stereo, tinted windows, and aftermarket wheels, but everything else was configured before purchase. It is nice to get in the car and feel like it is just as I want it and no more changes necessary. With that said, the one thing I may shift in the future is my tires (when the runflats die) and I may switch to 17''s. There are a couple MINI's in the lot where I park at work, and every time I see the 17inch wheels I want some. We'll see. . .

Cheers-
p.s. I will pm you.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:15 PM
MichaelA
1st Gear
Originally Posted by drummergirl
Hey now, are you sure? I ordered my car in March and wanted an Apple logo then? haha. But I will gladly give over the title of who came up with it first if you can top that.
And I'll credit whomever needs crediting with the idea... but you said you had one made... can you tell me where?

Michael

Old 10-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by miniphatty
If Apple made a computer, you:
Apple did make a computer. Lots of them, actually.

1. Wouldn't have to worry about upgrades or mods - you just thrash the old car and get a new car every time you want more performance
If you bought a 2007 MINI, like I did, and want the USB connector for your iPod, you have to get a new MINI.

I can add more RAM and add or upgrade the internal hard drives in my Mac. How do I do that to my MINI?

2. You would get the core (OS) tied in with the car and you would have to pay for any future upgrades to the software
My MINI has the NAV. If I want the latest maps, I have to purchase them.

I can't get the software for my 2007 that would give me the one-touch window up option. I'd have to get a new car.

3. You wouldn't find much support for 3rd party applications like the latest games (someone find a car analogy) but you will always have Solitaire.
Adding mods to the MINI can void your warranty. Speaking of games, taking your MINI to an AutoX can void the warranty.

I couldn't resist the above - I am not a Mac hater - I just cannot afford them or rather justify purchasing one.
You probably paid far more modding your PC to give it features a Mac already has.

I can see the analogy about how a MINI community is similar to the Mac community (price, quality, design, intuition) but I don't think MINI's the kind of car Apple would make.
Don't forget the sense of creativity, humor, and playfulness.

You're right. Apple would probably build a car that was more innovative and paradigm changing.

I do have a Mac Mini on my desktop along with several Linux machines, a Sun workstation and a Windows machine and I use what works for me
I have two Mac and a Sony Vio PC. The PC doesn't work for me. It sits idle.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PVP
I've had Macs since 40 mgs was a big hard drive! Yikes, I think I'm dating myself big time. I feel the same way about my Macs and MINI, they're both a ball to drive.
Don't feel bad. I had a Mac before any hard drive was available. IIRC, the best you could do was two 400K floppy disks. I bought the first available model hard drive when it became available. It was called the MacBottom because it sat under the Mac. Cost was $1,200 and it had 10 megs of capacity. Oh, and RAM on that Mac was 128K. Before that, I set up a network at work with an IBM PC (first model) and two Apple IIs with a 5 meg Corvus hard drive that was about the size of an inkjet printer.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:36 PM
drummergirl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MichaelA
And I'll credit whomever needs crediting with the idea... but you said you had one made... can you tell me where?

Michael
Hi Michael,

Sorry, didn't mean to ignore you. I didn't even realize my reply to you didn't make it to the boards. I was typing a reply earlier today and must have hit something wrong because I see now that it isn't on here. Anyway, I got it from Aesthetic Creations (which I heard about from this site). One day I may put it on this MINI or my next one. Until then it sits lonely in my closet.

Cheers-

Old 10-02-2008, 01:42 PM
MichaelA
1st Gear
Originally Posted by drummergirl
Hi Michael,

Sorry, didn't mean to ignore you. ... Anyway, I got it from Aesthetic Creations (which I heard about from this site). One day I may put it on this MINI or my next one. Until then it sits lonely in my closet.

Cheers-
No Problem, drummergirl. Thank You!

Michael

Old 01-01-2009, 09:11 PM
mellocooper
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Became a MINI owner and Mac convert within about 3 months of one another. If I ever plan to pick up a Mac Mini, I'll be sure to take the MINI to get it.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:53 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Apple Car Customer Care

I can just hear it now:

(customer with apple car): Um, I think one taillight bulb is burned out. Can I get a replacement?

(Apple Car Care Adviser, in sappy, insincere Sarah Palin-ish tone of voice): OMG I'm sooooo sorry to hear that about yr baby-kins. Please call our 800 number to contact a sappy, insincere genius bar rep to make an appointment to check yr baby's bulb to see if it can be properly refurbished. If not, gee gollywillikers we'll just have to treat yr baby to a whole brand spanking new BULB!

Apple. The decline of civilisation as we know it. Total and complete. Get yr guns and shovels ready.

Last edited by sequence; 01-02-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:32 PM
russgriz
3rd Gear
Bad experience?

Originally Posted by sequence
I can just hear it now:

(customer with apple car): Um, I think one taillight bulb is burned out. Can I get a replacement?

(Apple Car Care Adviser, in super sappy insincere tone of voice): OMG I'm sooooo sorry to hear that about yr baby-kins. Please call our 800 number to contact a sappy, insincere genius bar rep to make an appointment to check yr baby's bulb to see if it can be properly refurbished. If not, gee gollywillikers we'll just have to treat yr baby to a whole brand spanking new BULB!

Apple. The decline of civilisation as we know it. Total and complete. Get yr guns and shovels ready.
Did you have a bad experience with Apple Customer Care?

Old 01-01-2009, 11:55 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by russgriz
I love my Mac (Macbook Pro 15"), and my MINI...but if there's something I've noticed that's common to both - (in my experience) they both seem to lack good Customer Service. They come across as arrogant (and treat you like you're a dummy), and will even deny that a problem exists even if you show it to them in person.

If I had to buy products based on customer service at all, I don't think I'd own a MINI or an Apple product.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:58 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
LOL, good one. You forgot the part where they have the genius bar run some sort of diagnostic on the parking brake handle (or some other non-related component) prior to them narrowing it down to the bulb.

I can just hear it now:

(Apple Car Care Adviser, in super sappy insincere tone of voice): OMG I'm sooooo sorry to hear that about yr baby-kins. Please call our 800 number to contact a sappy, insincere genius bar rep to make an appointment to check yr baby's bulb to see if it can be properly refurbished. If not, gee gollywillikers we'll just have to treat yr baby to a whole brand spanking new BULB!

Old 01-02-2009, 06:09 AM
russgriz
3rd Gear
Lack good customer service?

Originally Posted by AKIndiMini
I love my Mac (Macbook Pro 15"), and my MINI...but if there's something I've noticed that's common to both - (in my experience) they both seem to lack good Customer Service. They come across as arrogant (and treat you like you're a dummy), and will even deny that a problem exists even if you show it to them in person.

If I had to buy products based on customer service at all, I don't think I'd own a MINI or an Apple product.
Can someone have a bad customer service experience with Apple? That is absolutely possible, not every individual they employ is great at customer service. Can you get an arrogant Mac Genius? Sure, that is a bit more possible . But lacking good customer service? In my own experience, absolutely not. And Consumer Reports rates them a 92 out of 100 in Customer Service. The next closest competitor? Sony.....with an 82. And it's all downhill from there.

We should all feel free to share our individual experiences with others, to assist them in making their own decisions on the products they buy. But to make a sweeping statement that Company A "lacks good customer service" without sweeping evidence to back it up is just irresponsible.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:49 AM
sequence
6th Gear
PC Car Care

OTOH:

(PC Car customer): Uh, I think I have a burned out tailight bulb. Can I get a replacement?

(PC Car Service Adivisor): OK, that'll be $3.95.

(PC Car Customer): Cool, thanks

Old 01-02-2009, 10:06 AM
sequence
6th Gear
The only Apple product I own is a 40 gig Ipod, about 4.5 years old, given to me as a gift. It totally died on me (temporarily) on Xmas day so I called Apple customer care the 26th. It wasnt that it was a bad experience, it was just too folksy and sappy and the rep simply could not get to the point about what to do and where. Finally when the nasally, Sarah Palin-ish voice on the other end suggested a "genius bar" rep could take a look at it, by golly, I tried to schedule an appointment to take it to one of 3 stores in my area--but they could not book any appointments, and then blew me off and told me to call back after the first of the year "when things slow down" whilst the dead iPod lay in my hand. No other solution offered.

Then lo and behold a miracle: the iPod somehow corrected itself the next day, booted up, and all was well. Thank God. Save for the inevitable battery replacement down the road, I do NOT want to have to deal with these people ever again.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:13 AM
thejokell
4th Gear
The only Apple product I own is a 40 gig Ipod, about 4.5 years old, given to me as a gift. It totally died on me (temporarily) on Xmas day so I called Apple customer care the 26th. It wasnt that it was a bad experience, it was just too folksy and sappy and the rep simply could not get to the point about what to do and where. Finally when the nasally, Sarah Palin-ish voice on the other end suggested a "genius bar" rep could take a look at it, by golly, I tried to schedule an appointment to take it to one of 3 stores in my area--but they could not book any appointments, and then blew me off and told me to call back after the first of the year "when things slow down" whilst the dead iPod lay in my hand. No other solution offered.

Then lo and behold a miracle: the iPod somehow corrected itself the next day, booted up, and all was well. Thank God. Save for the inevitable battery replacement down the road, I do NOT want to have to deal with these people ever again.
You're looking for support on an iPod that's 4.5 years old? You do realize that the warranty expired 3.5 years ago, right? The only thing you'll get out of a genius bar appointment is them telling you that it's broken, out of warranty, and that you can trade it in for a % off a new iPod (I think it's 20, but I can't remember).

Old 01-02-2009, 10:18 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Well I could go and write several more pages about the customer service I received with my current Macbook Pro, and the Powerbook G4 that I had prior to that. But I'll spare everyone the grief.

Both my PB and MBP have had to get service under the AppleCare warranty on numerous occasions. The service I received was more than enough "sweeping evidence" for me to start feeling as though Apple's customer service is a bit lacking. I don't care what the statistics show - MY own personal experience with them is what counts to ME.

If you're really interested in what problems I've had with MINIUSA or Apple customer service, PM me - I'll be more than happy to tell you about my experience with both. Maybe you'll see why I feel the way I do about their service. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE their products (though, not a fanboi) - just wish I could have had better luck w/ their service on the rare occasions that I need it.

I don't really appreciate being called "irresponsible" when all I was really doing was responding to sequence's little joke about what would happen if Apple built a car. I thought it was funny because of what I had experienced with Apple. I was in NO way trying to sway anyone away or towards an Apple product, just simply stating what I felt based on experience.

Can someone have a bad customer service experience with Apple? That is absolutely possible, not every individual they employ is great at customer service. Can you get an arrogant Mac Genius? Sure, that is a bit more possible . But lacking good customer service? In my own experience, absolutely not. And Consumer Reports rates them a 92 out of 100 in Customer Service. The next closest competitor? Sony.....with an 82. And it's all downhill from there.

We should all feel free to share our individual experiences with others, to assist them in making their own decisions on the products they buy. But to make a sweeping statement that Company A "lacks good customer service" without sweeping evidence to back it up is just irresponsible.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:33 AM
inimini2007
6th Gear
MINI Customer Service?

I've had excellent customer service from Morristown & Prestige MINI...Parts & Service Department, too.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:40 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by inimini2007
MINI Customer Service?

I've had excellent customer service from Morristown & Prestige MINI...Parts & Service Department, too.
After reading my first post on here, I felt that I should clarify a little bit.

I've had EXCELLENT service from the parts dept at Classic MINI in Ohio, as well as excellent service from parts & service depts at MINI of San Francisco.

My only real beef with customer service relating to MINIs is with MINIUSA themselves.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:02 AM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow... this thread is amazing! Steve Jobs rocks my face off.

I have two iPods (nano & video), iPhone 3G, Powermac G4 tower, 12" Powerbook G4, and a Macbook Pro. And they're all still living!

Old 01-02-2009, 02:38 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by thejokell
You're looking for support on an iPod that's 4.5 years old? You do realize that the warranty expired 3.5 years ago, right? The only thing you'll get out of a genius bar appointment is them telling you that it's broken, out of warranty, and that you can trade it in for a % off a new iPod (I think it's 20, but I can't remember).
Well I knew the warranty was long over; I was not really seeking "support," just guidance as to what could be done with a 4.5 year old iPod; after all it is my first and only Apple product. That I got blown off by a sappy-nice genius, dimwit or whatever they call themselves (not even a follow-up inquiry, and they have my phone/email?) has pretty much sealed the non-deal for me.

OTOH, MINI Customer Service at every end has been nothing short of stellar, inc the financial services folks. That's why when I traded in my problem child 2005 S I decided to stick with the brand and try an 09. So far, way good

Last edited by sequence; 01-02-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:28 PM
wyiauta
wyiauta
Long term Apple owner.

I've owned various Apple products for the last 20 years or so. Currently a 20in iMAC and an iPHONE. Alas, no MINI...yet.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:13 PM
magic08mini
1st Gear
Guilty. G4 Cube, Desk Lamp G4 iMac, Mac Mini, Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod Nano 1G, iPod Shuffle, iPod Shuffle, etc.

Some of this is current and some is past.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:42 PM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by magic08mini
Guilty. G4 Cube, Desk Lamp G4 iMac, Mac Mini, Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod Nano 1G, iPod Shuffle, iPod Shuffle, etc.

Some of this is current and some is past.
The G4 cube is the mac-daddy... no pun intended.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:44 PM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
Hey Drummergirl, you march anywhere, or do you just do kit? (sorry to stray off topic)

Old 01-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Scooner8
2nd Gear
My entire home is Mac. 3 portables with each dedicated Cinema displays & keyboards. Airport Extreme wifi base station. iMac for my son. 3 iphones. My Dell & Sony Vaio had been sitting idle since I converted about 2 years ago. I can't even look at Vista without feeling nauseated Sorry, pc fans...

Quick Reply: R56 If Apple made a car...