R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 If Apple made a car...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 06:36 AM
Apple
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wbarnhill
With the R56, I'd say it's more towards what Apple would make.

Increased aesthetics, proprietary radio unit, runs a little hot (my MBP is scalding at times), compact...

Yep, sounds like Apple.

you need a New MBP....cool .......ahhhhh

Old 06-13-2008, 06:38 AM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
Originally Posted by Cybergypsy
you need a New MBP....cool .......ahhhhh
I keep meaning to send it in to AppleCare, but I can't pry myself away from it... I need a loaner.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:45 AM
dwf137
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nope, can't stand macs...

plus I do a lot of engineering work, a lot of the programs I use aren't available on macs...

too proprietary for me.

aaaannnd I like my right click too much.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:47 AM
Charlie Croker
3rd Gear
Is this a religious thread???? I'm a heathen! Bless me forum for I have sinned! (hanging head) I still us PC's everywhere I go! Every man has his weakness and this is mine. I beg forgivness and throw myself at the mercy of the forum brothers and sisters to guide me to a new way. Amen~!

I do actually have a Mini and several IPODs including two 8 gb Itouchs. Does that count? ...................... SAVE ME my brothers and sisters!....................SAVE ME!

Old 06-13-2008, 06:50 AM
wbarnhill
Originally Posted by dwf137
nope, can't stand macs...

plus I do a lot of engineering work, a lot of the programs I use aren't available on macs...

too proprietary for me.

aaaannnd I like my right click too much.
I can right click just fine with my wireless mighty mouse.

Plus the fact that I can dual boot into windows means I get OS X for my every day work, and XP for my programming tasks. Fun stuff.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:51 AM
dwf137
5th Gear
Originally Posted by wbarnhill
I can right click just fine with my wireless mighty mouse.

Plus the fact that I can dual boot into windows means I get OS X for my every day work, and XP for my programming tasks. Fun stuff.
I hear ya..

When I first started using computers, at like age 3 or 4(dad is a computer programmer), I booted up to a dos prompt and started programs that way... I knew how to work those computers. Windows has come a long way now, and I guess I'm just not looking for change. I'm happy, and I know windows like the back of my hand...

I actually refuse to install itunes or quicktime or any of apples crap, because I'm that anti-apple. I will never own an Ipod, because there's much better and cheaper options out there. Now everyone knows how I feel...

On a side note, your car is very similar to mine, at least the laserblue/black, sunroof, and pacific blue color line...

Old 06-13-2008, 08:00 AM
wbarnhill
I hear ya..

When I first started using computers, at like age 3 or 4(dad is a computer programmer), I booted up to a dos prompt and started programs that way...
I miss those days. If you'll notice, as computers get more powerful, we still have the "slow" issue because programming has become more and more wasteful since it's expected that people will have plenty of RAM and computing power. But hey, when you compare profits to the cost of man hours to optimize a program, the profits are going to win out. But enough of my rant

On a side note, your car is very similar to mine, at least the laserblue/black, sunroof, and pacific blue color line...
I really can't wait to get it. Gonna add some tint and maybe new wheels... Already paid 250$ for a reserved spot at work so I don't have to park with students who have no respect for others' property. Be sure to post pics when you get yours so I can see how amazingly awesome it is. (since you will probably get yours before me)

Old 06-13-2008, 08:08 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If Apple did make a car, the gas pumps at normal gas stations would not be compatible. Instead, you'd have to go to a special Apple branded gas station where gas would cost $20 per gallon. But you'd pay it because the pumps would look and feel so stylish and cool. If you didn't have such a gas station in your hometown, you'd get your gas delivered mail order.

My dad actually bought one of the very first hand-built Apple computers. I grew up on that and a series of Apple II's, early Macs, and even had one of the first macbooks in college. At some later point, I was left to choose between a $6000 Mac that would do what I needed or a $2000 windows machine. Sad to say but I have not used a mac since for any personal reason except for the one in the lab that runs a couple of specific nerdy molecular biology programs. I have several electronic devices I use with my computers that are not compatible with Apple, so I'm still stuck in windoze world for now. . .

Last edited by Yucca Patrol; 06-13-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:18 AM
saturn
4th Gear
2 Imacs, and an "old faithful" G3, two ipods.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:32 AM
dwf137
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
If Apple did make a car, the gas pumps at normal gas stations would not be compatible. Instead, you'd have to go to a special Apple branded gas station where gas would cost $20 per gallon. But you'd pay it because the pumps would look and feel so stylish and cool. If you didn't have such a gas station in your hometown, you'd get your gas delivered mail order.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:33 AM
dogcowdaddy
1st Gear
Checking in. Started with an Apple IIe. Been a "Mac Moron" since they first came out, except at work where they forced me to the dark side a few years back.

The earlier comment about an Apple Logo for the roof kind of caught my attention. I have a black roof so the new logo...........STEADY!

Cheers

Jim

Old 06-13-2008, 08:42 AM
mrweasel
3rd Gear
we have 4 Macs (G3 B&W, G4, 2 iMacs), 2 iPods and 2 iPhones. Yeah, we drink the Kool-aid

Old 06-13-2008, 09:00 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by krim
Oh that Conflict Catcher, wonderful piece of work. wonderful i say! If i could find the diskette, i'd ask you to sign it.
Thanks. It was written by Jeff Robbin. Which reminds me, I forgot to mention the other program he wrote. It was an mp3 player called SoundJam MP. Casady & Greene, Inc. sold the publishing rights for SoundJam MP to Apple. Jeff is now the iPod Czar, or something, at Apple. SoundJam MP became iTunes.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:18 AM
bradchatellier
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
My first Mac was a 128K in 1984. I started a company that became Casady & Greene, Inc. Some long-time Mac fans may remember Crystal Quest
Damn Robin, who'd a thunk?! Rahspeckt! I was a rockstar on that game... butter on a hot frying pan style, and I lived to get the ship through that gate at the end (cue the sound bite). Is there any way to continue playing that game (I've got a version that works with OS 9, but no emulator) under 10.5?

Anyway, back to the original post, I'm about as Mac fan as you get. 27 year Apple veteran. Didn't come to the Mac until 1985 (cuz at age 14, when you've got a perfectly good Apple IIe, it's pretty hard to convince mom why you need some expensive, weird looking piece of hardware with a GUI). Owned 28 Macs since 1985 (currently have two Mac Pros, a Mac Book Air, and a 20" iMac G5). Worked at Apple doing SQA in the 90's (and Adobe, and Global Village). Been doing Mac consulting on and off since high school, and will be using my 160GB iPod as the stereo in my... dun dunt dun...

BRAND NEW FACTORY JCW MINI (due to be received next month)

POW!

Old 06-13-2008, 09:45 AM
dbhouston
4th Gear
I've had a Mac continuously since my 512K Enhanced in the 80's. Writing this on my MacBook Pro. Looking forward to my iPhone in a couple months.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:55 AM
Super Dave
3rd Gear
Yup, yup. Too many Macs to mention, but now the iMac 20", iPod shuffle and iPod Touch. I have my little white Apple sticker on the back along with my Actual Size and Street Legal Go Kart stickers! This is a HOT thread!

Old 06-13-2008, 10:08 AM
xqb3b
3rd Gear
Currently, a MacPro and an old G4 Powerbook that's literally has been around the world, with a bruised and beat up case but still ticking. No iPod; no iPhone

Old 06-13-2008, 10:24 AM
smash0r
1st Gear
Let's be honest - if Apple had made the mini - the user interface would be a LOT more intuitive

(<3 my mbp)

Old 06-13-2008, 10:28 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by 05LiquidYellow
I tried to get a 20th Anniversary Mac back in the day when they had the price drop, but it didn't work out. I sure loved that computer. I ended up waiting and getting the Original iMac when it came out. Is your 20th still in proper working order?
20th Anniversary Mac
Still works but been upgraded to faster CPU and more RAM.
This requires the larger back panel and is not as streamline.
When it was new I used the S video input to attach a DVD player and run movies using the RCA audio inputs for the stereo bose speakers/sub.
Only drawback was the small flat screen. Ran TV off of my cable at home.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:07 PM
goat
3rd Gear
To the engineer who posted up above... right-clicking has been supported for many many years, just need to plug in a 2 or 3 button mouse. Or use the mighty mouse if you want a cleanly styled mouse (a rarity among 3rd party hardware, sadly).

As for proprietary engineering software, remember that all current macs can boot native into Windows via Boot Camp, or for many applications be sufficiently speedy and stable with Parallels or similar software.

Thankfully, the 'incompatibility' often cited by engineers and scientists doesn't hold as much water as it used to. When my fellow scientists and researchers are buying macs left and right, you know the word is getting out.

Getting back to classic games: Crystal Quest, one of the best. Beyond Dark Castle, incredible for its time. And does anyone else remember ShufflePuck Cafe?

Old 06-13-2008, 01:30 PM
FlyingZ06
3rd Gear
2 mini's here. 1 imac, 4 ipods and a touch

Old 06-13-2008, 03:33 PM
ajakeski
4th Gear
LEADER!

Old 06-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Nui
4th Gear
Loads of Mac's for my business and home use. iPods, iPhones. One PC at work only for checking sites we do. Otherwise it collects dust.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:02 PM
ckranert
2nd Gear
Yep

I have the MacBook Pro, 4 iPods, an old iMac and an Apple IIc (color monitor and printer). Wouldn't consider myself a "fanboy" though becasue my phone is Windows based.

I've also heard that many owners are left-handed. My MA said of the five cars sold on the day I bought mine, four owners were lefties.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:04 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
I've been a Mac fan since I got a job programming them in 1987. I've carried on programming them since, Macintosh PC Exchange (the MS-DOS file system) had a lot to do with me, and I eventually got a job at Apple. USB in the iMac was the first product I helped with there. I did USB work, mainly for OS 9, though I also helped with a couple of USB controller drivers for OS X. I moved over to the iPod end of things starting with the iPod mini. I've been doing iPod USB stuff ever since.

I have a Mac Book air as my main machine, it does everything I want it to except edit HD video and play graphic intensive games (which cause it to go into thermal throttling). The Mac Book air is one of the few Apple products I've payed full retail for, I'd been waiting for that for at least 10 years. The other products I payed full retail for were a pair of 2nd Gen iPod minis, one for each MINI.

(Q22 was the code name for the iPod mini.)

Quick Reply: R56 If Apple made a car...