R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 If Apple made a car...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 12:34 PM
hunsingeruk
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats hilarious, I was just thinking yesterday that this MINI community is even more hardcore than the Apple community!

I'm not a mac fanatic but I have two ipods and a 1st gen iPhone

Old 06-26-2008, 12:36 PM
Apple
6th Gear
agreed^^^^

Old 06-26-2008, 12:45 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well its a bit different, and I dont think quite as heated. Most Mini owners have respect for other car makers, but lets face it even Kia does a better job at making cars than MS does at making OS and anything else.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:47 PM
hunsingeruk
5th Gear
LOL, Vista at least:P

Old 06-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Julian Pyke
2nd Gear
I'll be owning a mini soon... but I do own a macbook (latest one, with the new system). I love it! Does that count?

Old 06-26-2008, 01:06 PM
ProfessorZoom
3rd Gear
Location: second star to the right and straight on 'til morning
Originally Posted by Julian Pyke
I'll be owning a mini soon... but I do own a macbook (latest one, with the new system). I love it! Does that count?
It's a start.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:35 PM
Apple
6th Gear
I was going to call my car iMini, but chose Apple

Old 06-26-2008, 01:51 PM
drummergirl
2nd Gear
"iMINI" iLOVEIT!
of course Apple is perfect since yours is red.
cheers-
p.s. my apple logo arrived today (it's at my po box so i haven't seen it yet). may have it installed this weekend!

Old 06-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Pretzel Logic
3rd Gear
Powerbook G4, 2 iPhones, 5 iPods in this household. Started way back in the day with an Apple Lisa, then a Mac Plus, and have owned most versions in between.

I assume then, that despite Mini disclaimer about windows formatted USB drives and iPods (for the R56 USB port option), these items will work just as well if formatted on a Mac?

If only the Mini Nav system was as intuitive as Apple products...

Old 06-26-2008, 02:58 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I won't call myself a hard-core Mac fan being that I still use PCs (and to some extent, like them), but here's what I've got:
Apple IIGS (first computer...still works!)
Power Mac 7300
Power Mac G3 (Beige)
Powerbook G4 (last gen before MacBook Pro)
20GB 4th gen iPod (black)

Old 06-26-2008, 04:55 PM
curtis0407
2nd Gear
I don't see it...

I will preface the following by saying that my MCS is - hands down - my most favorite car ever. Also - I just bought a 16GB iPod Touch, so I appreciate what Apple does... even though I also own a Dell XPS laptop.

Apple has some amazing industrial designers in it's fold and they provide products that are beautifully designed, durable and amazingly well executed with regard to user interface. No doubt, a fantastic company. The MINI is an amazing car for a lot of reasons - design is not it's strongest aspect. The interior is a classic case of design first, function second. The center console is the most glaring example. The exterior is fine, not exceptional. I guess, what I am trying to say is that the designers were shooting for a modern take on a classic design - and pursued that to the bleeding edge, which ultimately compromises some functional aspects of the car. Which is contrary (seemingly) to Apples MO. In the end, the MINI stands out in the overall driving experience it affords its owner more than it does as a cohesive and well designed object overall.

The Audi S5 represents the perfect, contemporary automotive analogy to an Apple. Beutifully designed and executed and pretty functional too. IMHO.

Disclaimer - reliability is not factored into the above impression.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:03 PM
chowdah
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by drummergirl
p.s. my apple logo arrived today (it's at my po box so i haven't seen it yet). may have it installed this weekend!
drummergirl-I read your post about your Mini looking like a white MacBook! That is SO cool ... Can't wait to see pics! It's nice to see some hardcore Mac Evangelism-keep it up!

Old 06-26-2008, 05:35 PM
SuwaneeM3
3rd Gear
Wow... funny thread. I dont consider myself a "mac" person... because I am an engineer. However I have and still own:

Apple II
Apple Mac SE
Apple MAC SE/30
Apple 5400c laptop (gave to parents)
Apple Newton (way back.. long broken)
Apple iMac purple slot loader (wife's)
2 iPhone 8g
iPod nano

So... maybe i am a mac geek. Dont tell anyone.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:47 PM
ChiliXer
4th Gear
Not so sure MINI would be mac of cars. Mini's are sold as very customizable and upgradeable. Apples idea of upgrading is buying a whole new very expensive product. Id say more the prius, trendy and complicated to mess with.

I don't own a single apple product. Having windows/dos as home and mac/apples at school I have learned to loath everything from apple. I suppose I don't fall into the typical MINI customer, but I suppose looks were the major downside to me as I was shopping around

Old 06-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Minimana
Neutral
Mac Mini Cooper

Mac user for years. SE, Cube, PowerBook G4, Mac Mini. iPod shuffle, iPod 30gig, iPhone.
Now, Mini Cooper (picked up six days ago!)

Jason.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:14 PM
escobar929
Neutral
Originally Posted by ChiliXer
Not so sure MINI would be mac of cars. Mini's are sold as very customizable and upgradeable. Apples idea of upgrading is buying a whole new very expensive product. Id say more the prius, trendy and complicated to mess with.

I don't own a single apple product. Having windows/dos as home and mac/apples at school I have learned to loath everything from apple. I suppose I don't fall into the typical MINI customer, but I suppose looks were the major downside to me as I was shopping around
not necessarily, my mac book pro is modded. i've changed every single icon, from the finder icon to the trash can

and i upgraded to 4gigs of ram (not mac ram, too expensive)

Old 06-26-2008, 09:08 PM
HighSchoolzMINI
6th Gear
o yea me 2!!!
my dads a MAC nut so i ended up following his foot steps, i have a macbook pro and a touch screen iPod, WOOT WOOT for MACs

Old 06-26-2008, 11:22 PM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Hardcore Mac guy here i even work at the Apple Store. But sadly i havent had a mac since Dec :(

Old 06-27-2008, 06:35 PM
chowdah
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SuwaneeM3
Wow... funny thread. I dont consider myself a "mac" person... because I am an engineer.
Perfect! You're an engineer and a closet Mac Geek! Go to work for Apple and help make some more cool products! My Newton still works-now that was a product that was before its time!

Old 06-27-2008, 06:39 PM
chowdah
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by IrishCooper
Hardcore Mac guy here i even work at the Apple Store. But sadly i havent had a mac since Dec :(
I would freak without my Macs! I couldn't work at the Apple store because I'd buy everything and then go broke.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:56 PM
zooki
2nd Gear
All I can say it's it's probably a good thing Apple doesn't have to depend on their computer sales to stay afloat. Without the Ipod and the Iphone, and Itunes they would be under by now. Didn't Microsoft bail out Apple not too many years ago? Something to the tune of $150 million back in '97?

Old 06-27-2008, 07:10 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by zooki
All I can say it's it's probably a good thing Apple doesn't have to depend on their computer sales to stay afloat. Without the Ipod and the Iphone, and Itunes they would be under by now. Didn't Microsoft bail out Apple not too many years ago? Something to the tune of $150 million back in '97?
That was over a decade ago. Mac sales are doing well. They are gaining market share as frustrated Windos users are migrating to the Intel Macs.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:21 PM
BigSky
6th Gear
PowerBook G4 17" and a couple iPods.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:31 PM
Rocapotamus
1st Gear
As a computer scientist and full time programmer, I can honestly say the only thing I like about Apple is their product design. I don't think their products are worth the hefty premium you pay for them. It's not like I can't afford to pay the premium, it's just the principle of the matter.

As for MINI, well, they have the design and the performance. So they get my money.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:30 AM
abuzavi
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mac count +1, now at 4.

Bought a MacBook Pro at the Apple Store in KS this week, and latched on to the education discount (better than the military discount) -- free 8GB iTouch out of the deal.

So far, so good. Busy loading software onto it as I can -- GIMP, Thunderbird, Firefox, truecrypt, transmission and the like. So much to load onto a clean system!

So, yeah -- new laptop with me, wife has the titanium with her (667 Mhz!), there's an original graphite iMac in one shipment of goods, and her non-Intel iMac is in the other shipment of goods. 4 Macs (and two iPods) spread out across the world right now.

Quick Reply: R56 If Apple made a car...