R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 If Apple made a car...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 05:15 PM
Bhatch
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JudgeS
Its not that bold of a statement, and I'm just repeating it, it was actually a PC World article (November 2007) where the MacBook pro was the fastest notebook to run Windows Vista, it was all over the news when it came out.
Laptops do not represent the "PC". Almost any desktop can wipe the floor with the best laptops, even a XPS/Alienware in SLI note book can be betterd for 1/2 the price.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:27 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bhatch
Laptops do not represent the "PC". Almost any desktop can wipe the floor with the best laptops, even a XPS/Alienware in SLI note book can be betterd for 1/2 the price.
Yes but laptops represent 51% of all PC sales, so they are the majority, that being said a mac runs windows faster than the majority of PCs on the market. Of course you can get a souped up PC that hopefully would run windows faster than any Mac (that is its job), but lets remember no matter how fast your PC is it cant run OSX, and lets be honest your average PC buyer will never spend that sort of money. Your really not getting the point though, which is its funny that apple has designed a product thats superior (even though its a secondary feature) than the majority of those on the market (that were designed to only run that OS).

Old 07-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"PC" stands for Personal Computer. It doesn't stand for Desk Top. So, are laptops, mainframes?

Old 07-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Bhatch
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JudgeS
Your really not getting the point though, which is its funny that apple has designed a product thats superior (even though its a secondary feature) than the majority of those on the market (that were designed to only run that OS).
All Mac does is take off the shelf "PC" components and puts it in a pretty box. They use INTEL chip set on a outsourced motherboard and use a ROM lock to boot their OS. So what they build is a Pc as good as anyone can make, they do make a pretty box.

M$ runs on all x86 platforms...while Apple keeps theirs locked out...that's fine by me. Any PC could run OSX but they keep it locked out... WHy?

lets not forget for years Apple fed the MIPS and PowerPC platforms as the best systems...and then...like sheep...the switched to the Intel platform.

All they have is a pretty box and a Os that runs the same software. You love your MAC and that is fine, they are infact just a personal computer at 40% the price. They are more expensive for the same computer and they are the same inside. Similar specs comparisons go either way....here is one.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7...5.html?tag=btn (XP)
here is a good link for (2006) this is with the 8xxxx series Core2's not the 07 test with the 9300 Intel. on CNET.OSX is 5 times slower at rendering the PC on the same chip and chipset and slower on XP, same with Cinebench benchmark... So it looses flat out on pure power floating point same Software 3 OS...but that is just one comparison...others show what they want. It is all how your read into what you want to belive, or what Apple sells you.

I build my computers from scratch and my Laptops, Dell is worse then apple... on that i digress and let the world continue to feud. I have nothing against the 3rd largest PC builder in the US. But they cater to a breed that belives Apple sells the best...but all they do it sell you the same.

M$ sells Vista an OS in it's infancy, and on the way out already with Windows 7.

Last edited by Bhatch; 07-21-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Apple
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys i did not start the thread to flame one or the other its preference, please do debate it

Old 07-21-2008, 08:32 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
All Mac does is take off the shelf "PC" components and puts it in a pretty box. They use INTEL chip set on a outsourced motherboard and use a ROM lock to boot their OS. So what they build is a Pc as good as anyone can make, they do make a pretty box.
Thats like saying all BMW does is take simple car parts and put them in a pretty box, its nothing more than a dressed up Hyundai.

If you really think Macs are over priced take a look at this article:

http://machinist.salon.com/feature/2...tml?sr=hotnews

Other thing never factored into the equation is resale, I have a 1.25 Dual G4 I bought in 2003 that I would have still been able to sell for over $600 last year, instead I decided to keep her and replace the brand new Dell I got at work last year, as its still faster and more stable. How many PCs do you own that are over 5 years old, and your still able to use for anything.

I couldn't give away any of the PCs I owned after their usually 2 year lifespan when they essentially became obsolete.

Last edited by JudgeS; 07-21-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:32 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
They use INTEL chip set on a outsourced motherboard
No they don't. They design all the boards in house.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:39 PM
AvidMINI
Seeing CHILI RED!
I learned to use computers on PCs and started to make a living at it (I'm a prepress technician for a commercial printer), but eventually, a bulk of the programs I used daily were Mac-specific, or at least more Mac-friendly than their PC counterparts. I don't knock either, but I certainly prefer the Mac over the PC these days. I think the PC is just a little clunkier to operate. At home, I've got an iMac and a black MacBook (wish I could have afforded the Pro, but I still love my MacBook). All things being equal, I have both PCs and Macs to thank for helping me make a living, so I won't trash one or another. But I would definitely consider myself a Mac person these days...

Old 07-22-2008, 01:45 AM
Bhatch
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Btwyx
No they don't. They design all the boards in house.
The Chipset is a Intel chipset, i know in 05/06 Intel was doing the desgin for them.

you can get a Mac motherboard from Tiwan like all other motherboards.
http://www.dvwarehouse.com/Logic-Boa...6-p-32945.html

Old 07-22-2008, 07:09 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The Chipset is a Intel chipset, i know in 05/06 Intel was doing the desgin for them.

you can get a Mac motherboard from Tiwan like all other motherboards.
http://www.dvwarehouse.com/Logic-Boa...6-p-32945.html

It's an Intel chipset, but there's a lot more to a motherboard design than just picking a CPU and a graphics card. There are a lot of "housekeeping" chips on a motherboard beyond what's included in the "chipset", and how well they work with each other and with the CPU/RAM/graphics chipset/etcetera is what makes the difference between a reliable motherboard and a flaky one.

Apple designs their own motherboards, and they have an advantage no one else has - since they design both the operating system and the hardware, Apple can integrate the software and hardware much more tightly than other manufacturers can. This is why Windows (and other operating systems) often have problems with the sleep/standby/hibernate feature on off-the shelf motherboards. There's no hard & fast standard for how to implement sleep/standby/hibernate, and each hardware company does it a little differently.

And as for DVWarehouse, the parts they sell are largely used parts that they've scavenged from old systems - hence the fact that there's only a 90-day warranty. They do have some new parts, but I suspect that those may be leftovers from Apple when they discontinue a particular model. I didn't see any current-version motherboards on their site.

The fact is, buying an Apple motherboard isn't the same as going online and ordering the latest VIA or ASUS motherboard. Apple logic boards that you find online or in a store are going to be used, or "new old stock" from a discontinued model.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:34 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
So? You said motherboard, not chipset. After the Intel transition, Apple have taken more of the design in house, its 08 now, not 05/06. I know the people who design the motherboards. Apple also has a VLSI design team, they used to do chipsets, but have been quiet recently, but if you look on the job adds, they're looking for more VLSI designers these days.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:21 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Who cares? I am a Windows administrator and have been using Microsoft since version 5 DOS. I liked MS and backed them for years but as of late Apple is coming back on strong. I switched and now have a laptop that doesn't crash or need to be rebooted every two days. I can also use the sleep function with no problems. If that paying more means that I get a box that works than I'll gladly pay it.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:44 AM
Euseys
3rd Gear
Euro dealer did not put my ipod connection in properly, my ipod sits in the cubby, under the black loops, near the cup holders. NOT in the glove box, NOT in the secret glove box on the dash.
Very sad.

Will look into a SoCal dealer to fix it so my US Spec mini has the glovebox ipod like everyone else.

Waaa! Boo! Sniffff!

Old 08-12-2008, 08:00 AM
Pretzel Logic
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Euseys
Euro dealer did not put my ipod connection in properly, my ipod sits in the cubby, under the black loops, near the cup holders. NOT in the glove box, NOT in the secret glove box on the dash.
Very sad.

Will look into a SoCal dealer to fix it so my US Spec mini has the glovebox ipod like everyone else.

Waaa! Boo! Sniffff!
I'm not sure if this post belongs in this thread... but in any case, there are two connections. The USB jack is under the climate control, and over the cubby between the cupholders.

There is a separate dedicated IPOD connector which goes into the secret compartment, but few people get this option as it limits the amount of songs which display on the radio.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:36 AM
jjp007
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Euseys
Very sad.

Waaa! Boo! Sniffff!
That is where mine is, not in the glove or secret compartment.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Pinky Demon
4th Gear
Macbook Pro owner as of April. 2.5 ghz Dual Core with 2 GB RAM and 512 Nvidia 8600.

Soon to be owner of a 6spd. Mini S.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Syco R53
3rd Gear
Been using the Macs for a long long time.

Just converted the wife to an iMac this year, and we both got iPhones last week.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:16 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I went from the last of the 15" Powerbook G4s, to a Macbook Pro (2.4 ghz, 2GB ram, 256mb video, 200gb hard drive) last month.

The upgrade wasn't intentional on my part, as I had planned on keeping the PB a bit longer (I'm broke). I sent it in to have the garbled display fixed (applecare expires in Nov), and next thing I know I'm getting a call from Apple because the service center "severely damaged" my PB and it would take "over a month" to get all the parts to fix it. I was offered a new replacement, which turned out to be a MBP. No complaints here!

I'm just really glad I backed up my data prior to sending the PB in for service. Made the transition to the new computer MUCH easier.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:16 PM
abuzavi
6th Gear
I've got an unlocked iPhone, version 1. Using it with a simple pre-paid T Mobile SIM card. No data plan -- just free WiFi when I can get it.

It is awesome.

And the third party apps are good.

But if Mini made a phone, it wouldn't be the iPhone. It's nice, nut not perfect (and yes, I'm a Mac fanboi).

Old 08-13-2008, 05:22 AM
zooki
2nd Gear
If Apple made a car, it would have a secret "kill switch" that Big Brother Jobs would use to destroy all your performance mods from the safety of his Evil Lair. Hahahahaha(<--evil laugh)

Old 08-13-2008, 05:58 AM
Apple
6th Gear
So the new macbooks land in a few weeks.... I am waiting with my ATM card in Hand

Old 08-13-2008, 06:10 AM
Mini S Pilot
5th Gear
This was on my homepage this morning...

http://hamptonroads.***.net/cci/news...alidatearticle

Old 08-13-2008, 06:37 AM
Pretzel Logic
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Cybergypsy
So the new macbooks land in a few weeks.... I am waiting with my ATM card in Hand
I think in a month actually. They will likely wait until the student Mac/free iPod promotion expires on September 15th.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:49 AM
Apple
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini S Pilot
This was on my homepage this morning...

http://hamptonroads.***.net/cci/news...alidatearticle
Yea saw that this morning...

Originally Posted by Pretzel Logic
I think in a month actually. They will likely wait until the student Mac/free iPod promotion expires on September 15th.
Last year the didn't, so there is hope

Old 08-13-2008, 06:55 AM
Pretzel Logic
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Cybergypsy

Last year the didn't, so there is hope
That would be great. I have needed to replace my G4 Powerbook for a while, but have been holding out for the new models!

Quick Reply: R56 If Apple made a car...