R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Clarification regarding options needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 04:54 PM
SkinnyMINI
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clarification regarding options needed

Ok Im getting navigation and the multi function steering wheel. I have questions I hope someone can help me with. Ive read several threads but got confused...

1) With the $500 bluetooth option, what am I not getting that I would get in the more expensive, comfort bluetooth option at $1000? What am I getting with the $500 bluetooth option?

2) if I get the $500 bluetooth option, does that mean my ipod titles etc will show up on my navigation screen?

3) If I dont get Sirius or any bluetooth option, is there a point to getting the multi function steering wheel? Note that Im still getting navigation. Is there anything on navigation that is controlled by the multi function steering wheel?

I would like to get everything, but I have a budget and want the best combination possible.

Thanks sooooo much for your help. I love this forum cuz its so helpful!

Old 06-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Ivygirl702
4th Gear
With the $500 bluetooth option, you are getting bluetooth (duh!) and an iPod adapter. The bluetooth with sync up with your phone and will come out through your speakers. Yes, the titles of the songs will show up, as will any playlists, etc. The iPod and the phone are both fully controlled with the radio controls.

I can't give you any help with the other options, I didn't get them.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:15 PM
blackjackmark
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SkinnyMINI
Ok Im getting navigation and the multi function steering wheel. I have questions I hope someone can help me with. Ive read several threads but got confused...

1) With the $500 bluetooth option, what am I not getting that I would get in the more expensive, comfort bluetooth option at $1000? What am I getting with the $500 bluetooth option?

2) if I get the $500 bluetooth option, does that mean my ipod titles etc will show up on my navigation screen?

3) If I dont get Sirius or any bluetooth option, is there a point to getting the multi function steering wheel? Note that Im still getting navigation. Is there anything on navigation that is controlled by the multi function steering wheel?

I would like to get everything, but I have a budget and want the best combination possible.

Thanks sooooo much for your help. I love this forum cuz its so helpful!
1) You're getting an armrest and the ability to pair CERTAIN phones to the antenna on the car(with the purchase of a special insert for the armrest). With the Bluetooth, you're getting the ability, with certain bluetooth-capable cellphones (more than those that can connect to the car's antenna) for making/taking calls on your cellphone through your car's audio system...very cool, IMO

2) I don't believe you don't need the Bluetooth option for iPod functionality, I THINK the car comes with a USB and aux input below the stereo regardless, and that's where the iPod goes.

3) MFSW gets you cruise control also. You don't get it otherwise

Old 06-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Herman da German
2nd Gear
To answer the last part of the question about the multi wheel. When you configure the car online and add navigation it requires the multi function wheel.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Ivygirl702
4th Gear
If you use the aux for the iPod, you have to use the iPod to control it. It won't show the display on the radio and you can't use the radio control to switch songs, etc.

That was extremely important to me as I had full integration in my Civic and wanted the same in the Mini. So that coupled with the Bluetooth was worth the $500.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
If you get the $1000 option you get the centre armrest. I hate the centre armrest, so I'd never got the BlueTooth option before, but jumped on the armrestless option this time. The standard radio can control the iPod and show the track name etc in the display (Nav or otherwise), if you have the Y-cable (USB/Analog audio). The Y-Cable comes with the Bluetooth/iPod option, I assume you can get the Y-Cable separately.

I love the Bluetooth option, I wish I could get it for Tristan. I'm not totally convinced by the iPod adapter.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:07 AM
SkinnyMINI
2nd Gear
Thanks for the info everyone, its been really helpful

Old 06-16-2008, 04:47 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
You probably shouldn't automatically assume that you'll get USB Y-Cable with the Bluetooth/iPod option- some people have had it included with the car, but not everyone has. It's a bit expensive (~$40) coming from the dealer, so if you go for it, you should inquire about the cable being included.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:24 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nicknbecka
You probably shouldn't automatically assume that you'll get USB Y-Cable with the Bluetooth/iPod option- some people have had it included with the car, but not everyone has. It's a bit expensive (~$40) coming from the dealer, so if you go for it, you should inquire about the cable being included.
It specifically states the cable is included in the option, if you've not got it (and you got an iPod option), you've been ripped off.

Only $40? I would have thought it'd be much more expensive than that.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:27 PM
SkinnyMINI
2nd Gear
Ok so i called the dealership and talked to my sales manager and got rid of the navigation after reading a million threads about the nav....im going to go with the Garmin Nuvi.

But i did get the MFSW, Sirius, and the bluetooth ipod option thats 500. i better get my cable!

Old 06-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok so i called the dealership and talked to my sales manager and got rid of the navigation after reading a million threads about the nav....im going to go with the Garmin Nuvi.
Personally, I think that is a mistake. The built-in NAV is more than just a NAV. It integrates the audio, Bluetooth, and car settings.

Audio: You get to control radio, integrated iPod, mp3 CDs, etc. with the NAV screen. Nice to see the list of tracks on iPod or CDs in large type.

Bluetooth: when a call comes in, number is displayed and the audio is paused. Address book and making calls is done on the NAV screen.

NAV: Audio is muted for verbal directions. Real-time traffic alerts are part of the NAV. It will guide you around traffic jams in most cities. Worked very well for me in Los Angeles and San Jose, CA.

Most complaints about the NAV are about looking up points of interest. The navigation itself is just as good as a Garmin. I've run both simultaneously, just to compare.

With a Garmin, the auido would either go through the AUX so you couldn't listen to music. Or, it would go though the Garmin's speaker so it would compete with any music playing.

Car Settings: they are easy to navigate and set through the menus the NAV screen. IIRC, there are a couple settings that are only available if you have the NAV.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:50 PM
()()==
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Btwyx
It specifically states the cable is included in the option, if you've not got it (and you got an iPod option), you've been ripped off.

Only $40? I would have thought it'd be much more expensive than that.
Apparently the cables are shipped to the dealership separately from the cars. They forgot mine and would have mailed it to me for free except I stopped by the dealer before they sent it.

IMO, the bluetooth option is very cool. Get your MA to pair your phone to it before you leave the dealership. Here in WA, holding a cell phone to your ear while driving will be illegal shortly (if not already). The $500 BT option works like a speaker phone through your stereo.

IMO, cruise control is the most important thing about the MFSW. But controlling the audio system is the thing I find myself using the most.

I was surprised to find the $500 BT option didn't provide cabling to put my iPod in the secret compartment. It just uses a short cable that plugs into the aux input and the USB port. The iPod sits in a cup holder. I don't believe the car comes with a USB port without the option, does it? If not, then without it you can't control your iPod from the audio interface. With the option, you still need to control the iPod from the audio controls on the console to select artists, etc.

Re iPod display functionality -- yeah, you can see the titles on the computer or nav screen. But I'm extremely unimpressed. My problem with it is that I have...maybe 250 artists. You have to scroll through them one-by-one from 1 to Z extremely slowly. The control doesn't accelerate like an iPod scroll wheel. I'll probably never again listen to ZZ Top while driving.

Still, I like and recommend the BT/USB option just for the hands free phone, a surprise to me because I'm not a big cell phone conversationalist.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:55 PM
SkinnyMINI
2nd Gear
thanks for the info everyone!!!!

yeah the nav does seems to have its pros as well as cons...but everything was adding up so i thought id pay half the price max and still get a good gps system....

()()== thanks for the details......i understand everything better now. Thanks everyone!

im going to stick to leaving out the navigation and leaving in the bluetooth/ipod option thats 500 and the sirius and get the nav later.

YAY I cannot wait to get my Cooper Now she needs a name. I was going to name her Molly but my husband and I just named our cat Molly..hehe

Old 06-17-2008, 06:59 AM
Apple
6th Gear
Should have gotten the navi

Old 06-17-2008, 10:31 AM
SkinnyMINI
2nd Gear
yeah but its 2000 plus on the MC it MAKES me also choose the Automatic AC which costs 500! For about about a third of that including installation, I can get the Garmin Nuvi!

Old 06-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Personally, I think that is a mistake. The built-in NAV is more than just a NAV. It integrates the audio, Bluetooth, and car settings.

Audio: You get to control radio, integrated iPod, mp3 CDs, etc. with the NAV screen. Nice to see the list of tracks on iPod or CDs in large type.

Bluetooth: when a call comes in, number is displayed and the audio is paused. Address book and making calls is done on the NAV screen.
You get that with the $500 BlueTooth/iPod option, no need for the NAV.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:41 AM
Btwyx
6th Gear
yeah but its 2000 plus on the MC it MAKES me also choose the Automatic AC which costs 500! For about about a third of that including installation, I can get the Garmin Nuvi!
I think the Auto A/C is the best (and most underrated) option ever. Its the one thing I've really missed in MINIs without it.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:43 AM
Apple
6th Gear
since it does much more the navi, it well worth it adds to the look of the car also I had the garmain s and the navigoins....was not impressed and had to always take them down an put them away.. A PITA

Old 06-17-2008, 10:44 AM
SkinnyMINI
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Btwyx
I think the Auto A/C is the best (and most underrated) option ever. Its the one thing I've really missed in MINIs without it.
yeah i can see how its convenient but its 500..i can just do that part manually..its only one button. it would make the navigation option be 2500..eek.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Apple
6th Gear
yeah i can see how its convenient but its 500..i can just do that part manually..its only one button. it would make the navigation option be 2500..eek.
Still well worth it