R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 MCS questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 06:33 PM
sunchaser99
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MCS questions

As a prospective buyer I have numerous questions concerning the MCS that hopefully some of you can answer. I am pretty set on the MCS with auto transmission as the MC to me seems underpowered.

1. Is the MPG really only 3-4 less than the stock, or is there a big difference in real life?

2. My biggest gripe is the noisy motor...what do you all think about it?

3. Have you experienced any turbo problems and is it as reliable as the MC in the long run?

4. Has torque steer been a problem for you MCS users? Many reviewers have mentioned this as a pretty bad problem.

5. When can we expect 2009 MCS? Any information on it yet?

6. Are you still satisfied with your MCS, and do you regret going for the MCS?

7. Which transmission did you go for..auto or manual, and why?

Thats about it for now, sorry for the many questions but hopefully some of you can answer them. I really like the MCS but I am not sure yet if i want to shell out 23k due to some of my concerns especially engine noise, or if i should wait for the newer models considering 08 is the first generation for the turbocharger.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:34 PM
flav
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sunchaser99
As a prospective buyer I have numerous questions concerning the MCS that hopefully some of you can answer. I am pretty set on the MCS with auto transmission as the MC to me seems underpowered.

1. Is the MPG really only 3-4 less than the stock, or is there a big difference in real life?

3. Have you experienced any turbo problems and is it as reliable as the MC in the long run?

4. Has torque steer been a problem for you MCS users? Many reviewers have mentioned this as a pretty bad problem.

Thats about it for now, sorry for the many questions but hopefully some of you can answer them. I really like the MCS but I am not sure yet if i want to shell out 23k due to some of my concerns especially engine noise, or if i should wait for the newer models considering 08 is the first generation for the turbocharger.
1. yes, i get 32 mixed and can get as much as 35-37 on the highway taking it easy

2. actually its not noisy enough, so i added a cold air intake and now it sounds perfect

3. not a single problem, never heard of one actually. i don't know why it wouldn't be as reliable. the internals are designed for the extra power.

4. i noticed it at first, but i don't ever notice it now. its part of learning to drive the car and is just a characteristic.

5. i would say sept 2008, fall is when mini usually updates models.

6. no regrets AT ALL!!! its as fun to drive as it was a year ago.

7. manual (of course). not only does it drive better in my opinion, but use the extra cost savings for the auto to offset the cost of the MCS vs the MC. if you are so worried about cost drop the auto trans and have fun with the manual.

BTW the 2007 is the first year with a turbo, i know, i have one.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:54 PM
dwf137
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since I don't have mine yet, I'll post up based on my order...

2. I guess it's a little noisier then the regular cooper, but that's the price you pay for higher performance...

4. Take a test drive and see for yourself. There is some torque steer, however I find it's significantly less then my underpowered 90 accord, so I'm okay with it.

6. The regular cooper wasn't even an option for me.

7. Manual. Kind of for the same reason as I chose the S and the sunroof. It was a "had to have" option. The thrill of driving a manual car and the connectedness that you feel is the main reason. I enjoy being "in touch" with the car, I like the mechanical connection.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If by stock you mean an MC rather than an MCS, my impression from posts is that it is about 4 to 6 mpg different. If you add an auto transmission you lose a few more mpg.

I think tire noise drowns out motor noise and is much more of an issue. It is not a quiet car.

The R56 is too new to know anything about long-term reliability. Over one year I haven't had any engine problems with my 2007 MCS.

Torque steer is strong in the MCS.

When you can order it will vary a little from dealer to dealer, depending on how quickly they are selling out their allotments.

Satisfied, and no regrets.

Manual. It is more fun and will take aftermarket shift *****.

The 2007 is the first year for the R56. First Generation refers to 2002-2006 MINIs.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:55 PM
Oakland Raiders Mini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can only answer 4. 6. & 7. through 1st hand experience

4Q. Has torque steer been a problem for you MCS users? Many reviewers have mentioned this as a pretty bad problem.

4A. No I have muscles and can control it

6Q. Are you still satisfied with your MCS, and do you regret going for the MCS?

6A. No one regrets the S.

7Q. Which transmission did you go for..auto or manual, and why?

7A. Manual because I'm young (26) and want a full experience. My 1st manual and I enjoy it even in Los Angeles traffic.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:07 PM
sunchaser99
1st Gear
Thanks for the replies everyone...really appreciate the input. I might just end up waiting for the 09 edition since its only a few months away?

Old 06-17-2008, 06:23 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
2. Four banger engines aren't quiet to begin with. Mine must be quiet compared to those of others. Turn up the radio!

Old 06-17-2008, 06:31 PM
dbhouston
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DuongR56

7A. Manual because I'm young (26) and want a full experience. My 1st manual and I enjoy it even in Los Angeles traffic.
Ouch. At 43 I still get a rush out of my 07 MCS manual. I've been driving it for a year and a half and have no regrets.

I guess the difference between 26 and 43 is that I don't have payments.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:49 PM
ram1962
2nd Gear
I'm a relatively new owner, but I'll give you my impressions so far.

I would say these three questions are highly dependent on how you drive the car. Reading between the lines, If you are mostly concerned about gas milage, it sounds like you are not going to be aggressively driving. So gas milage should be in the low to mid 30's if you have a mix of hwy/city. Even when driving it hard, I've been getting around 27-28 mpg and that is with very little highway miles.

I've found the engine noise not to be an issue while going through the gears shifting at 3000 rpms. Torque steer again will vary by how hard you hit the accelerator. I hardly notice it unless I hit the gas hard. Even then, it's very managable.

Can't really comment on this because I haven't owned mine long enough.

I defer to the other responders.

Definitely satisfied!

I went for the manual. I've driven mostly manuals and driving an automatic feels a little lazy for me now. I would definitely consider an automatic if you have a lot of stop-n-go traffic jams on your commute. That's about the only time I don't like driving stick.

Good luck with your decision. MC/MCS, in my opinion you cant really go wrong.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:03 AM
japtor
2nd Gear
1. Haven't really measured tanks, but have been watching the tripometer MPG. I usually get around 22-25 just driving around locally, longer highway trips I've gotten around 35. I could probably get more if I wanted to, but that wouldn't be as fun.

2. It's one of the things I like. The secret ricer in me also likes the subtle turbo sound.

4. Hasn't been a big deal for me, certainly none of the "oh my god I hit the gas and the car hurled me 10 lanes over!" type of stuff.

6. Yes, just wish I had money for wheels and some other pointless junk like different mirror caps.

7. Auto cause I'm a heathen. On top of that I left foot brake. Then from video games I've gotten used to sequential shifting (left paddle should be downshift!). I'm a bizarro case.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:15 AM
Creeve
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone...really appreciate the input. I might just end up waiting for the 09 edition since its only a few months away?
I have not read about any significant changes coming for '09. If you are thinking they will fix problems from the previous two years MINI doesn't really wait for a new model year to fix problems. They fix them as they arise. Things like the air scoop and and hidden compartment were fixed in the middle of the production year.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:43 AM
Gmund
Neutral
I hear alot about the torque steer under heavy loads. I do not think it is torque steer. I think its the traction control systems that are cutting power as the front wheels spin. When I turn off the traction control even under full throttle it runs as straight as can be. I track my car and figured this out quite quickly.
Dont get Automatic trans. you loose performance, fuel economy and add weight.
There might be some deals on 08's so unless there is a significant change in design or features....save the money for options or upgrades

Old 06-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One change for 2009 seems to be that Astro Black will be replaced with a blacker metalic black. AB is a blue-black. Not sure if there will be any other color changes.

Also, I've read somewhere, that DSC will be standard with the 2009 model.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:35 PM
nouse4aname
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by flav
3. not a single problem, never heard of one actually. i don't know why it wouldn't be as reliable. the internals are designed for the extra power.
Ummm...<cough>
http://www.motoringfile.com/2008/02/...issue-exposed/

This is the single biggest factor driving me towards a justacooper rather than an S. Oil starvation issues would not be good for long term reliability...

What scares me the most is that so far Mini does not appear to have a solution or even a real understanding of this problem, regardless of how rare or prominent it is.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:11 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
^^ but we don't know the actual long-term effects yet as there's not very many R56s out there that are high mileage, nor is anyone 100% sure that it's oil starvation. The actual noise is enough to cause concern, but it's not necessarily something that has been proven fatal to the turbo R56 "platform" yet.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:18 PM
nouse4aname
2nd Gear
Yeah, exactly why it's scaring me away from the S, lots of unknowns about what exactly is going on there and there have been many reports of this problem to Mini over quite some time now.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:29 PM
sunchaser99
1st Gear
There seems to be a lot of unkowns about the turbo which is definitely scary for someone who wants to buy the car as an everyday car for a good many years to come. The non cooper though amazing on gas is unfortunately just way too underpowered for me personally, so I am definitely getting frustrated on what to do. So you guys dont think the 09 will have any considerable changes? When will we find out whats in store for 09?

Also what do you guys think about the dash? While I think its unique, I do feel that its just too big and somewhat toyish. Also something I am hoping they make more streamline in the 09 edition. The new black color coming out seems promising as I would love to see a real black on it.

Aside from the turbo/motor concern, and less so with the dash I do feel the cooper is just an amazing car with great looks, performance, and economy that no other car to my knowledge possesses..and thus am still seriously considering...though I am not sure if i should wait and stick with my dying gas guzzling 98 explorer for a bit longer.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Madison MS MINI
3rd Gear
Happy Motorin'

. . . someone who wants to buy the car as an everyday car for a good many years to come.
That's the reason I found and bought a used/low miles cabrio.
The non cooper though amazing on gas is unfortunately just way too underpowered for me personally, so I am definitely getting frustrated on what to do.
After having the MCSc and never driven Justacooper I can't say, But man what a kick in the butt Winnie is. No torque steer to speak of and with the top down and the music up, I'm smiling ear to ear.
Also what do you guys think about the dash? While I think its unique, I do feel that its just too big and somewhat toyish.
I feel older is better there also. Speedo isn't soooo big.
. . . I do feel the cooper is just an amazing car with great looks, performance, and economy that no other car to my knowledge possesses. . .
And you'll feel that way once the baby is born and is yours.