R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 SWMBO is taking delivery of her MINI this Friday!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 10:05 PM
manris
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SWMBO is taking delivery of her MINI this Friday!

Don't worry I will have photos.

I'm really excited for her. I won't lie... I'm really excited too!

Seeing as how the car was ordered and only recently painted should I hold off showing her how to properly wax/detail?

You read about older cars that need time for the paint to cure (finish off gassing), and body shop work which states not to wax for 30-90 days.

Is that an issue with a freshly made MINI, or do they bake or do some sort of accelerated cure for the paint?

Old 06-16-2008, 10:18 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats. Take your time to look it over carefully inside and outside before you take delivery. I took a friend who was not as excited as I was to help me look for problems in paint, body panel gaps, scratches, etc. Things can happen between the factory and delivery.

There have been a few threads with checklists. Here is one:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...05#post1434705

Regading wax, I don't think it is an issue. My dealer offered to wax it before delivery, but I asked him not to because I was adding my own stripes.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:25 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Between the post-paint "baking" at the factory, and the elapsed time between it being painted and being delivered, there's no need to worry about waxing/sealing the paint right after you bring the car home.

Don't forget the claybar! Even with a new paint job, "things can happen between the factory and delivery", as Robin said.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:18 AM
manris
1st Gear
Thanks for the replies!

Considering everything that is done to the paint in terms of curing at the factory I didn't think it would be an issue to wax soon after production.

I already have a big detailing weekend planned for the Charger so I'm gonna try to get her to come over.

Although I have a feeling detailing without damage will be a yawn-fest for her.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:32 PM
manris
1st Gear
Went by the dealer today to get her current car appraised 2000 Ford Focus. The MINI was there and awaiting delivery for Friday, had I known I would have brought my camera.

The car was in pretty good shape, but there was a scratch in the one of the bonnet stripes, which they are gonna take care of. The car wasn't nearly as clean as I expected it to be, I found that pretty disappointing.

That said I don't really want a dealership porter doing any detailing on the car. I'd rather do it myself as I teach SWMBO how to properly detail a vehicle without damaging the paint.

On some areas of the car there were small spots of dried gunk. Not really sure what it was. Thinking about it now I wonder if it was carnuba wax? It almost had that consistency.

Either way it doesn't matter, "Winston" as she has so affectionately dubbed the Cooper S will be getting a dawn bath, claybar, and three coats of Zaino in the coming week.