R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Much to do with MINI's and -Trust-

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 01:29 PM
cloud10
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Otto is mine, all mine and no one else can have him or drive him. Well, I might let Kurt89A try it, but on a paved road and not at high speeds. And under my supervision. He understands that. He knows my obsession.

Married 21 years, but husband can no longer drive with muscular dystrophy. No kids and the dogs prefer I drive them.

Otto is my favorite car of the 13 I've had and I am insanely possessive of him. Someone set fire to my box of flyers for my shop property that is for sale. People are nuts so Otto stays in my back parking area where he can't be scratched or damaged by some insane person.

I have not had good luck with lending books, dvds, etc, so how could I trust my car with someone who is not paying for him? Sorry, not meaning to sound selfish, but a two-year wait affected my reasonability.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:13 PM
mmm def
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIspud
that is my point. a drivers insurance policy only covers his/her car. if they get into someone elses car, it is the owner of the vehicles insurance at play.

i only know of USAA that lets you pay an extra fee to cover you driving someone elses car.

it is very rare.
You are absolutely right. My sis was borrowing my 335, the windshield got cracked and her insurance said it goes under my insurance. So be careful who drives your cars..

Old 06-17-2008, 02:30 PM
Tennman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bgdc
I don't have a strong attachment to any object. I let anyone drive my BMWs and obviously my Cooper is fair game. If the cars get destroyed, so be it. I could walk outside today, find my Cooper crushed into a tiny cube, shrug and make the call to my insurance company. I don't keep anything in my car and I am sure I can replace it with something else.

My dad's the polar opposite. He has an insulated trailer for his show cars, rubs them with diapers and can tell you every part of the vehicle. But don't ask him to drive a car hard...no, to him cars are pieces of art. To me, cars are replaceable, disposable toys.

I've never turned down a request to drive one of my cars. Never will.

Oh. Well, I'm sure you mean well.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:04 PM
EENY
3rd Gear
A: As soon as you think the relationship is stable enough so it won't be destroyed if an accident were to occur with the fault being on the person you loaned the car to.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:45 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
My driving rule is:
You gotta own and drive a stick before you'll drive mine.
This ain't a driving class.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:38 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We purchased Molly as a commuter car, so it is both of ours and we both drive it. Would I allow any one else to driver HER...NO!!!

MINI: C
Relationship: (SO; Husband)
Time Together: 8.5 years

Old 06-17-2008, 07:22 PM
Mini*In*Flux
3rd Gear
I trust SO (who is also my BFF and I have known since college) with my life - that said he is not allowed to breathe in the MINI.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:24 PM
misslindsey
5th Gear
I've only let my boyfriend drive Lewis without me in the car. I missed them both terribly all day, but I only called once to check on him (and really, only because he had just returned from a 2 week trip to China and had about 2 hours of sleep). I would let him drive more often if he wanted or needed to, but as my daily driver the car is with me most of the time.
For a drive with me in the car - anyone I've ridden with and I know can drive a manual. Most people are afraid to ask since they know crazy I am about the car, but it's just a car when it comes down to it, and I like to share the MINI love so I offer if they look like they want to. If I come with and you buy me lunch, of course. Or you're my mom. She can drive anything (for real).
It was a while before I let anyone else drive him, though. I did let Dennis drive after a week or two, but then not again 'till I was done with break in. I had to take him home and show him to mom and dad before then, too, but that was it.

MINI: MCS
Relationship: boyfriend - serious
Time Known: 2+ years

Old 06-17-2008, 09:31 PM
MotorManiac
1st Gear
I am getting ready to order my MCS, and my wife will actually be driving it to work 5 days out of the week. She commutes a long way in LA traffic and the savings between her gas guzzling Grand Cherokee and the MCS will net us a little more than $100.00 a month in saved gas. I on the other hand drive about 6 miles round trip to work, so I am selling my car and I will use hers to go back and forth from work. When it comes to trust, this is the woman that I married, so trusting her with a car (even a MINI!) is a no brainer.

Besides, I know that she is going to get hooked and we will end up being a two mini family

MINI: unordered MCS
Time together: married for 3 years, known for 6

Old 06-17-2008, 10:04 PM
Luv325Ci-MiniCoopS
2nd Gear
This is an easy one for me, no one drives my cars. I won't even valet my car which drives my friends crazy because I always park the farthest away from everyone...Once in a blue moon my sister will drive the BMW, (she hates my Mini and won't drive it) when we go to Vegas and I'm too tired to drive back after staying up for 36 hours gambling. It goes so the same way about me driving someone else's car, I won't unless I absolutely have too.

MINI: MCS stick
BMW: 325Ci Auto
Relationship: None at the moment, just my dog don't have to worry about her wanting to drive, she likes being the passenger too much

Old 06-17-2008, 11:00 PM
Oakland Raiders Mini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I offer everyone I meet to drive it. If they say yes I kill em.