R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Are you bored with your R56?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 04:24 PM
kramseib
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not bored with my R53 yet!!! A 2003 MCS LY/B with all 3 packages. Still fun to drive after all these years. I prefer the MINI over my other car, a 2007 Dodge Charger SRT-8 Super Bee, #735!!!

Old 06-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Bhatch
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RandyBMC
Dude - are you Stig?!? It looks like it from your sig...

To participate in the thread:
I am still thrilled with my '07, and I still miss my '02. The MINI rocks.

Randy
i am not the Stig......

but i track it like i am.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:45 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Bored?

No.

Just takes a quick trip around the block to remember why I bought Scrappy in the first place and I climb out with this on my face all of the time -->

Old 06-17-2008, 05:48 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
The only way you should be bored is if you're shy and don't like showing people your Mini in parking lots.

Say +30 mpg and you'll have an audience.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:09 PM
darmog
4th Gear
Nope, haven't been bored of the R56 yet. Its just sounds so good to just tap on the gas and hear the turbo start to rumble early in the morning as I head to work. Frankly, I find the roads more boring than anything else as its all just straights with me getting some joy only at every curvy off ramp. To solve that I head to highway 130 (the road to Mt Hamilton in San Jose, CA) and take on the twisty roads there on the weekends which is where the Mini feels right at home at. I love that road.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:37 PM
dbhouston
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bgdc
You can't have a Miata and never put the top down...that's like dating Halle Berry and insisting she wear a mumu.
ROFLOL. My wife drove a Miata for years. We loved that car although it was too small for me at 6'2". Tonight, she is out in my MCS. Probably only the fourth or fifth time she has gotten to drive my car in a year and a half. It never gets boring.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:15 PM
ram1962
2nd Gear
Board of my MINI!

That's like asking "Are you bored of...."

Sex,
Ice Cream,
winning (at anything),
money,
candy,
vacation,
the beach,
the Sports Illustrated (swimsuit issue),
Beautiful women,
or life in general.

In all seriousness, I'm a new owner so my answer is "No" and all indications are that it will remain that way.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:20 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally, it took me quite some time to process all the little details of R56 and to really appreciate what MINI did with the car. Part of why it took awhile was that MINI doesn't really spell out the benefits clearly...they're just there. All in all it's a very entertaining car to drive.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:19 PM
fm.illuminatus
2nd Gear
I gave up a 540i for my R56 MCS, and I wasn't sure about it at first. But now, when I look nearly all the other cars on the road, I realize, few of them drive like the Mini, and many of them cost a lot more.

The only thing I might have more fun with would be an M car or an exotic, and that's just not realistic right now. Plus, every morning when I drive to work... I like the car even more. It doesn't make sense.

To top it off, I have a list of mods I'm slowly doing (just got the grill mounted lights, woohoo!), and that keeps me entertained.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:50 AM
Kyran
2nd Gear
Bored? Hmmm.....No!

Old 06-18-2008, 04:14 AM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
the fun never fades

CROC 411

Old 06-18-2008, 04:46 AM
ucbrother
4th Gear
I have an '07 MCS that I took delivery on in early August of last year. I love my car! No where near getting "bored". I used to hate driving, but now I look forward to hopping in my Mini and getting from point A to point B in a hurry!

Old 06-18-2008, 06:35 AM
gregdconsulting
2nd Gear
Bored? No. I love my MCS. I have a 2004 g35 6MT coupe and it is really nice too. Usually I drive the MCS all the time though. I have only put a couple thousand miles on the g35 this year versus ten thousand on my MCS.

Greg

Old 06-18-2008, 07:02 AM
Miah34
3rd Gear
The one and only time I got bored with my '02 MCS, was that like 3 or 4 days I couldn't get it to move because of massive amounts of snow this last winter in Iowa. Otherwise, like almost everyone else has said, once I step out of the MINI is when I get bored...

Old 06-18-2008, 11:58 AM
surfblue
4th Gear
NOPE!

Originally Posted by mmm def
I know these have only been out for what a little less than 2 years? Anybody bored and wanting to try something new? Please don't take this as an insult..this is probably one of the least boring cars on the road...I have an 08 LiB MCS on order Just looking to see if it "fades". Happy Motoring!
Surfblue sez: I'm one year in... The only thing that's gonna fade is your tires, your brakes and your clutch...IF you drive the little beast as it was intended to be driven. (btw, I have had NO issues with my 07 Mini S to date. Just drive it and do oil changes more frequently than the factory recommends, and rotate the tires. I've also NOT been able to make my brakes fade, but maybe I'm not trying hard enough. ) Just this last Saturday, I had it firmly in mind that I was going to take my Grinnall Scorpion out for a drive, as it has been seeing the battery charger more than the road. But when I walked out in the garage, I got into the Mini AGAIN. I should add that in the first six months of ownership, it was very difficult to point the MCS for home. I just wanted to keep on driving. It's still pretty much that way. The car is a stand alone reason to keep driving, gas prices be damned!
See my gallery IF you don't know what a Grinnall Scorpion is. It's a screamin' fast machine, but the Mini just has SOMETHING. But I still miss my primitive little 62 Cooper.

Last edited by surfblue; 06-18-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Mini S Pilot
5th Gear
Bored? No way, I'm just getting my second wind.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:41 PM
bandit33
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Wanna get bored? I mean within a couple weeks? Buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The only excitement you'll have is trying to steer it down a mountain road at 70mph. That'll keep you busy.
it must not have been a srt-8 Grand Cherokee cuz those are pretty fun

there's not a car i've owned that i haven't been bored with after about a year..... the 07 mcs is no exception

Old 06-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Ambrosia
4th Gear
I've got almost 9k miles in almost 5 months of daily driving and I'm definitely not bored of the car...

I am however horribly bored with/tired of the non-stop DC Metro traffic, weekend congestion, left-lane vigilantes, suburban tanks, and speed traps that try to stifle my enjoyment of this car.

As always, a little more power would be nice but I knew what I was purchasing...and it is absolutely not necessary to enjoy this car. Anyway, any more "power" and I would get myself into too much trouble.

Maybe an elise would be more fun than this car but it's definitely not the ultimately practical, superbly balanced enthusiast's daily driver that the mini is.

Motoring ennui is just not possible with a car of this type.

Last edited by Ambrosia; 06-18-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:22 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When/if my euphoria abates somewhat, I recall a bit of Mini history and once more realize that I am motoring in a true Mini/MINI...and that this has been a very long story with many participants who have countless Mini stories from over the years. The new MINI has allowed this saga to continue with a vigor that is still somewhat amazing. I consider myself fortunate to be small part of the Mini/MINI story in my own way, even if I'm just placidly motoring about the neighborhood. In the end that, too, is a very Mini thing.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:31 PM
Diploman
3rd Gear
Familiarity breeds....respect and adoration. My MINI only gets better with time. This car stirs many emotions, the very last of which would be boredom.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:41 PM
tedbone72P
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rrcaniglia
Yeah, I'm just passing 7800 in my first four months, so I may not have much to add vis-a-vis how much fun these cars are...

Wait a minute. I just drove 7800 miles in four months!
gotcha beat bought late and have motored 13876 in 15 weeks. Do I like driving my car? I researched for about 8 months and knew that for my daily commute from Boynton beach (10 minutes south of west palm beach) to Miami Beach, I would have to drive something that would keep me awake. Test drove everything and MCS was the only one I drove a second time. I actually test drove it 4 times and when it was time to buy, there was no hesitation.

This is as stated before a great all around car, except that I can't fit a car seat, a booster seat and a third kid in the back. Fix that and ladies and gentlemen you have the ultimate all around car.

Oh and it needs to be totally submersible and that would be the most greatest all around car in the galaxy.

oh by the way, i'm not bored

Old 06-18-2008, 06:38 PM
DanF
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
When/if my euphoria abates somewhat, I recall a bit of Mini history and once more realize that I am motoring in a true Mini/MINI...and that this has been a very long story with many participants who have countless Mini stories from over the years. The new MINI has allowed this saga to continue with a vigor that is still somewhat amazing. I consider myself fortunate to be small part of the Mini/MINI story in my own way, even if I'm just placidly motoring about the neighborhood. In the end that, too, is a very Mini thing.
Man you should write Novels. Or at least write for a magazine.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:53 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gregdconsulting
Bored? No. I love my MCS. I have a 2004 g35 6MT coupe and it is really nice too. Usually I drive the MCS all the time though. I have only put a couple thousand miles on the g35 this year versus ten thousand on my MCS.

Greg
Okay, I signed up for this forum just to respond to this.

I'm currently researching a new car and among the possibilities are both a new MCS and used G35 coupe. Can you maybe go into a little detail here?

Thanks!

Old 06-19-2008, 08:07 AM
gregdconsulting
2nd Gear
Tu13es, The G35 and MCS are similar in some ways and very different in others. I own a 2004 G35/6MT coupe, and a 2007 MCS/6MT. There are some basics:

The G35 is a great solid freeway cruiser. It is quieter than the MCS, but not much. Fuel economy is about 24 mpg versus about 34 in the MCS, one of the reasons I don't drive it all the time. The G35 is fast and maybe a little faster than the MCS, and both cars corner well. The suspension of the G35 is firm, but smoother than the MCS and when driving it is not at twitchy. The turning radius of the G35 is not particularly good and you need a little space to do a U-turn. The paint on the G35 chips if you look at it and on the MCS it has proven to be more durable. The seat heaters are warmer in the MCS. The Bose system of the G35 sounds better than the MCS premium audio. Despite its small size the MCS is also probably better at hauling cargo.

The reason I like to drive the MCS more is that it is just better in city/suburb driving. It's easy to see out of, easy to park, fairly decent on fuel economy, agile in traffic, good for waving at fellow MINI drivers, and has a personality and fun quotient the G35 doesn't have. The G35 is a great touring car. I drove my friends G35/6MT (we have the same car only hers is in Boston and mine Seattle) all last week. It was great to drive all over Cape Cod and on the freeway up to Montreal. In city it is just a little harder to see out of would always need a bigger parking spot.

I could ramble on more, but if you have more specific questions just PM me. If I were to need to go to one car today I would sell the G35 and keep the MINI. I find it overall to be more useful and overall easier to live with day to day.

Greg

Last edited by gregdconsulting; 06-19-2008 at 08:10 AM. Reason: added car years
Old 06-19-2008, 08:21 AM
cosmosmpower
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bgdc
I'm not sure I'm bored with mine, so much as I really dislike one aspect of the car and there's no getting around it: FWD. It's been nearly 15 months driving my 07 Cooper S and I can say I sorta wish it would disappear so I would have an excuse to get another RWD car. No matter what I can't get used to the feeling of FWD. It's just not fun as much in corners. :(

Sadly, I can't think of a new RWD car I want. I want a freaking e30 sized car with 21st century tech. Catch-22.

My wife just bought me some mods for the Cooper this past weekend. I'll probably return them as a sway and strut tower (certainly not the armrest) aren't gonna mask the car's one failing.
Get a BMW 135i, problem solved. Now weight, is another issue. I get bored with cars easily. I've had my Lotus Elise about 6 months and I'm starting to get bored of it (except at the track, that's a whole different story). I find my 93 beater Miata is kind of like the Mini. Better economy, easy to park, easy to get in and out of and fun to drive although not much power.

Last edited by cosmosmpower; 06-19-2008 at 08:24 AM.

Quick Reply: R56 Are you bored with your R56?