R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Red rooster seats & color line - brushed alloy or piano black?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 08:24 AM
ronmichael
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red rooster seats & color line - brushed alloy or piano black?

Anyone have pics of an interior with the red rooster color line and brushed alloy surface?

I ask because I am torn between the brushed alloy and the piano black. I like the nice real metal dash trim instead of glossy plastic... but I don't like that getting brushed alloy forces you to get that light silver plastic circle around the doors. I like the black circle you get with piano black.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:15 AM
jyarrow
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out my gallery. There are some photos of the brushed alloy. I'm very happy with it.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:35 AM
JudgeS
6th Gear
I would go Piano black, I don't think the brushed alloy looks much better than either of the standard interiors, I also think it looks better with the red.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:50 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Black and red is a good combination. Silver and red is less dynamic.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:33 AM
FlyingZ06
3rd Gear
black!!!

Old 06-18-2008, 01:41 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ronmichael
Anyone have pics of an interior with the red rooster color line and brushed alloy surface?

I ask because I am torn between the brushed alloy and the piano black. I like the nice real metal dash trim instead of glossy plastic... but I don't like that getting brushed alloy forces you to get that light silver plastic circle around the doors. I like the black circle you get with piano black.
The silver/gray plastic circle around the doors is exactly what I don't prefer about the Brushed Alloy trim. Don't know why they didn't make it match the finish on the dash pieces, or at least put a shiny finish on it to make it look better. The brushed alloy metal on the dash looks fantastic, especially when you notice the three colors/finishes together (i.e., textured black on the top part of dash, brushed alloy in the center, and then the color-line (red, in your case) on the bottom -- sharp! Now that I've studied it in my own car, I realize it actually does match the other matte silver/gray finishes in the cockpit (i.e., around the arm rest if you have it, the control *****/buttons, and a few other trim pieces). However, while I'd still opt for the Brushed Alloy Trim again, I wish they'd have used something else other than the dull "gray matte" on the door rings.

BTW, keep in mind that the shiny Piano Black shows a tremendous amount of fingerprints (especially as you keep pressing the "secret glove compartment" to open it), and also scratches quite easily. See, everything has a down-side; there's no perfect solution!

Good Luck with whatever you choose!

Old 06-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Apple
6th Gear
go standard and get red.... I ordered mine like that the piano black shows fingerprints like crazy :(

Old 06-18-2008, 02:56 PM
ronmichael
3rd Gear
Thanks for all the feedback so far. It's quite useful.

Any thoughts on going with gotham gray (and the red color line and brushed alloy)? It's hard to find any real pictures of gotham gray, but it looks like it could be interesting...

Old 06-18-2008, 04:17 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Well, if they'd offer gray seats as well, it would work perfectly, IMO, plus it would give a light, cool feel to the interior. It's a nice shade of light gray and it looks OK with the black/gray leatherette, but solid black, or two-tone black and red/blue just doesn't look so good, IMO; too dis-jointed (I finally saw one in person at the dealer last week and it definitely stood out, not in a good way, IMO). I was initially interested in Gotham Gray myself to lighten the interior as much as possible, but my MA advised against it considering the lack of coordinating seating surfaces. Now after seeing it, I think he was right. I also think there wouldn't be enough contrast with the Brushed Alloy, particularly on the doors. Just my 2 cents.

Someone recently posted pix of the Gotham Gray interior in their gallery which might help you. It works in this MINI with leatherette seats and silver exterior. Check it out here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...129119&page=25

Last edited by 3DogDepot; 06-18-2008 at 04:24 PM. Reason: added link
Old 06-18-2008, 04:50 PM
ckranert
2nd Gear
I like the piano black. I had a choice because the dealers had the same cars, one black and the other alloy. To me the alloy looked strange because it didn't blend well. The black kept fingerprints and dust until I put some wax on it (zymol), now there are no issues with either.