R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Totally ignored by a Corvette driver

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 07:01 AM
MinLes
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree!

I own both, a ZO6 and a John Works Mini. I have to agree most vette guys are snobs!!

Old 06-19-2008, 07:34 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ryephile
... Yellow Corvettes are definitely a different kind of 'vette owner. The ones that are in it for the performance have silver/blue/black/white ones...
Silver/Blue/Black/White Corvettes? You sure?

Perhaps Yellow Corvettes... Like this one?

Attached Thumbnails Totally ignored by a Corvette driver-c6-corvette.jpg  
Old 06-19-2008, 12:00 PM
OPC
RATTUS Deserticus
Originally Posted by r56mini
I was out riding my bicycle today. At a traffic light I was standing right next to a shiny yellow C6 convertible at the front of the line. His top was down and I was looking down on him and said "Nice car.." He didn't look. His radio was on but I was at 2 O'Clock in his visual field looking at him. I said one more time, "NICE Car!" Still no response. I felt like an idiot. The light changed and he took off. I went on my way. I am never giving any more compliments to Corvette drivers. NO MORE!
Can't believe I'm the first to ask -- what were you riding? It is entirely possible he was intimidated by your ride. Corvette? Bah, I'd take a Pinarello Prince anyday over a 'Vette.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:37 PM
SLEDGE-O-MATIC
1st Gear
I'm an ex-Z06, M3(E46) & pimped out F250 diesel owner & I'm still amazed that I received more , more gaukers, and just general nice compliments on my 04' MCS in the year and a half that I owned it, than all the other vehicles combined. Plus, it was more fun than any vehicle I've ever owned. I'm now waiting on my 09' JCW to arrive. Let the fun begin again!!

Old 06-19-2008, 02:04 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Don't feel bad. Just go motoring and do the wave!

I did the wave yesterday on the way to a friend's house. Beautiful laser blue s with a white roof was motoring past me and I stuck my hand out the window to wave. I was surprised to note that the driver was a big guy. He stuck his arm out the window... and part of his shoulder and I think most of his upper torso... and waved up and down real big! I couldn't help but laugh and it made my day.

Forget those jerks driving "super cars". They don't have the wave.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:45 PM
E36 M3
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RandomGemini
Don't feel bad. Just go motoring and do the wave!

I did the wave yesterday on the way to a friend's house. Beautiful laser blue s with a white roof was motoring past me and I stuck my hand out the window to wave. I was surprised to note that the driver was a big guy. He stuck his arm out the window... and part of his shoulder and I think most of his upper torso... and waved up and down real big! I couldn't help but laugh and it made my day.

Forget those jerks driving "super cars". They don't have the wave.

Corvettes started the wave as far as i know.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/history/wave.html

Old 06-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Auto_Pilot
6th Gear
Maybe I did look gay in my tight bike shorts.
No, no...that would have attracted the Corvette driver

Old 06-19-2008, 03:30 PM
MiniMacPR
5th Gear
People ride bikes and verts with their top down in the North Pole

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 06-19-2008, 05:59 PM
Bandit
3rd Gear
he was probably old and deaf

Last edited by Bandit; 06-19-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:05 PM
FlyingZ06
3rd Gear
Z06 owner here. I would have looked as I have a mini also. Most probably would not look. Would I look at a dude in a Civic Si? Nope. Usually people just look at me cause they want me to drag them off the line to see how fast I am. Don't waste my time.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:06 PM
FlyingZ06
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Sabre
Silver/Blue/Black/White Corvettes? You sure?

Perhaps Yellow Corvettes... Like this one?
Good one dude! That is one fast winning Vette!

Old 06-19-2008, 06:35 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by FlyingZ06
I definitely stand corrected. For some reason the yellow Z06's attract a different demographic than the yellow coupes and 'verts. Just my observations.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:58 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by E36 M3
Corvettes started the wave as far as i know.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/history/wave.html

Actually, I thought for sure that this was a motorcycle enthusiast trend that started there... neat. You learn something new every day, but this is actually not relevant to the point of my earlier post (still cool to know tho!).

Never, will a 'vette driver stick his body out of a car window and wave at another 'vette driver like he's a kid on Christmas. Only MINI Motorers do that. :-)

Old 06-20-2008, 07:52 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Originally Posted by FlyingZ06
Thanks FlyingZ06!

The ALMS factory Vettes are simply superb!

They sound wonderful too... Love the growl of that big V8!

Can't wait to see them compete later this summer during the ALMS race at Road America!

Old 06-20-2008, 08:05 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
You guys are funny. Yah, I'd have to say the guy either a.) didn't hear you, b.) was a little embarrassed at all the attention he might get - even though it's a *DUH* attention-getting car or c.) he thought you were coming on to him.

I love to laugh, and I'd like to think I have a good sense of humor - and I like to share it...but it really does *ping* me when I don't get responses when I'm trying to be friendly, and ESPECIALLY from un-responsive or rude MINIdrivers.

I'd love a stingray myself (saving it for AFTER I win the lottery!), and I guess...well...just keep trying! They can't ALL be bad, right?

Old 06-20-2008, 08:12 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
the scum was thinking about the mini he should have bought and how he will get raped at the dealer when he trades it in for a mini.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:15 AM
psb
3rd Gear
I was out riding my bicycle today. At a traffic light I was standing right next to a shiny yellow C6 convertible at the front of the line. His top was down and I was looking down on him and said "Nice car.." He didn't look. His radio was on but I was at 2 O'Clock in his visual field looking at him. I said one more time, "NICE Car!" Still no response. I felt like an idiot. The light changed and he took off. I went on my way. I am never giving any more compliments to Corvette drivers. NO MORE!
don't base being you on other peoples responses in these situations, it is a losing proposition. just keep being you. when someone acts like that it makes me smile.... as if acting better than other people is being rude to them, this is an american myth of the wanna be elite. for some reason we associate treating people poorly with power and taste..... wow how screwed up is that....well some people do

Old 06-20-2008, 08:47 AM
Hellion
3rd Gear
Man much to do about nothing. A person is going about their business and because he didn't want to converse with a stranger at the lights all of sudden there is negative connotations????

Old 06-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Auto_Pilot
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ENGINE 58
the scum was thinking about the mini he should have bought and how he will get raped at the dealer when he trades it in for a mini.
Possibly he was angry about how much he paid for a full tank of gas?

For the record...I have nothing but respect for the Corvettes...they are considered the best bang for the buck...Well until the GT-R arrives officially

Old 06-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Apple
6th Gear
Might have been hard of hearing??? I had a lingerfelter &50TT vette, have to say i will never buy another POS

Old 06-20-2008, 07:56 PM
TonyR
2nd Gear
Not everyone is friendly, I have a neighbor that lives 2 houses over and he makes it a point to not make eye contact so he does not have to say hi. And by the way I drive a Vette and not every Vette waves back at me, but its ok, I don't let it bother me, I still am friendly and wave. You shouldn't stop being friendly just because of one encouter.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:00 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Creepy people can be found everywhere.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Bandit
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride

that's probably what the vette driver was thinking

Old 06-20-2008, 09:47 PM
tc-mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
Very true - you have to be a bit careful about who you strike up a conversation with at a stop light. It's especially disconcerting when you have the top down at a light - you're pretty vulnerable. Weirdos want to tell you all about how you're compensating for some other weakness, how you're driving a overpriced piece of garbage, sometimes people even throw things into your car while you're trapped at the light. And then there are the kids who want to challenge you to the next light (obviously not the case here, but a VERY common experience). Not acknowledging the other person is often the safest bet.

All that aside, most Vette drivers appreciate it when someone says "Nice Car" - just like most Mini drivers do too. A simple "Thanks" is all that's needed - it's not a silly response at all, and is usually enough to acknowledge the compliment but not open yourself to a story about how their uncle once had a "insert car here" that he put a supercharger on and took to the NHRA nationals and won 2nd place, and, and, and.

I drive my 2003 vette everywhere as long as there isn't snow on the ground (that will likely change when the R57 comes out - I'm waiting until I see how the roll bars work before I decide which model to buy). The Corvette gets 30+ MPG on the highway, and as a 2003 it only depreciates about $1200 a year. And, I like it when people comment on how it looks, or ask how it is to drive one. I expect that when I get a Mini, the experience will be the same. It too is a car that is not for everyone, but everyone secretly wishes they could borrow for a week.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:58 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OPC
Can't believe I'm the first to ask -- what were you riding? It is entirely possible he was intimidated by your ride. Corvette? Bah, I'd take a Pinarello Prince anyday over a 'Vette.
I was riding just this.... Nothing spectacular.

Quick Reply: R56 Totally ignored by a Corvette driver