R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Anyone have a pic of tranny fill plug

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 09:33 PM
Guamxle
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have a pic of tranny fill plug

I've found two fill plugs on the backside of the tranny towards the firewall, not where the sump is. I'm curious has anyone heard of two fill plugs for the tranny? I used an allen, and it fits a 8mm allen socket. Am I looking at the right fill plug?

Old 06-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What year MINI? Auto/Manual?

Old 06-18-2008, 10:12 PM
Guamxle
Neutral
r56 coop hatchback non S auto

oxy you think you have a pic? I'm just making sure i know how to change the t fluid when i hit my miles. I'm almost at 40000, so if you could help thanks.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:15 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
D@mn I thought I had alot of miles at 34k. You wont find any pics here but try this link.Look(click) the first diagram.Number six is the fill plug.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...30&hg=24&fg=15

Last edited by Oxybluecoop; 06-18-2008 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:13 PM
Guamxle
Neutral
oxy thanks

yeah, i'm a therapist and drive about 140 a day. The only thing i don't like is the dealer's prices. But that picture is exactly what i needed to confirm. I just have to take off the tire to access that bolt, and use a tubing to force feed some fluid in that hole. I had one more question, I have the Mini TIS dvd, and it has the procedure to fill the tranny at 35 celsius, and then i went to the Bentley site and they had very similar but one step different.

The TIS said unscrew the fill plug and the drain plug from the pan, then it said put in park and then drive, and pump brakes, and leave in for 2 secs. Check to make sure the fluid drains out from the drain plug, and then retighten.

Bentley site said unscrew the overflow plug not from the pan, but adjacent almost to the pan. Fill the fluid from the fill plug from number 6 that you showed me, until the overflow plug dribbles fluid.

I was going to go ask a tech at the dealership, but no time yet. Have you heard of the proper sequence of filling and checking the level of the tranny fluid?

Old 06-18-2008, 11:32 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
From what I'm told you remove the fill plug first and then the drain plug or it won't empty.As far as how much fluid to replace I would just pour the old in a measured container and then you'll know how much to put in.Good luck!

Old 06-18-2008, 11:40 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
The temperature of auto tranny fluid needs to be in a certain range I think...

Old 06-19-2008, 12:37 AM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
From what I'm told you remove the fill plug first and then the drain plug or it won't empty.As far as how much fluid to replace I would just pour the old in a measured container and then you'll know how much to put in.Good luck!

you always remove the fill plug first, just in case the drain plug wont cooperate.

if you removed the drain plug first and the fill plug wont cooperate... you're SOL

Old 06-19-2008, 12:45 AM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
I don't believe the auto tranny has a drain plug or a fill plug. (many bmws do not). in order to change the fluid you have to drop the whole transmission oil pan. you should also change the "filter" listed as strainer in the realoem link.

also don't forget to clean the magnet before replacing it in the pan.

Last edited by mellowmcs; 06-19-2008 at 12:51 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:50 AM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Guamxle
yeah, i'm a therapist and drive about 140 a day. The only thing i don't like is the dealer's prices. But that picture is exactly what i needed to confirm. I just have to take off the tire to access that bolt, and use a tubing to force feed some fluid in that hole. I had one more question, I have the Mini TIS dvd, and it has the procedure to fill the tranny at 35 celsius, and then i went to the Bentley site and they had very similar but one step different.

The TIS said unscrew the fill plug and the drain plug from the pan, then it said put in park and then drive, and pump brakes, and leave in for 2 secs. Check to make sure the fluid drains out from the drain plug, and then retighten.

Bentley site said unscrew the overflow plug not from the pan, but adjacent almost to the pan. Fill the fluid from the fill plug from number 6 that you showed me, until the overflow plug dribbles fluid.

I was going to go ask a tech at the dealership, but no time yet. Have you heard of the proper sequence of filling and checking the level of the tranny fluid?
except for the temperature part. the procedure for filling is pretty much the same as with BMW (for manual transmissions). remove fill plug, remove drain plug, one drained cycle transmission through gears including reverse (with engine off) then replace drain plug and fill until the fluid starts flowing from the fill plug. always thought that was an archaic way of determining when it was full but it hasn't failed me yet