R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Maintenance Free - Hah! Whatta Joke!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 06:59 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Search the forums here. There are certain reasonable variables that have to be taken into account with the warranty service. Also, I believe that under Magnuson Moss, you are entitled to warranty coverage and service if you scheduled the appointment prior to reaching the end of the warranty's term. You should look into it before calling MINI.

Originally Posted by Dave_in_Va
That's interesting (this whole thread is interesting)...here's my story (and I picked your post, LynnEl to compare mine to): In June I called my local dealer (CROWN MINI of Richmond, VA) to see about getting my MINI in for the 36k mile check up that is recommended in the maintenance manual. They said they couldn't do it, because at the time I only had 32K miles on the MINI. So in July, I called Checkered Flag Mini (in Va Beach becauese that's where I work) to get it in, because by then I had 34,500 miles (Crown told me I had to be within 1500 miles). They were able to get me in TODAY with a loaner (because I live out of town). So, in goes the MINI...but by this time, I'm up to almost 38k miles. Sooooo, the SA tells me that NOTHING is going to be covered under the service warranty because I am over 36k miles. And for that reason, for the "service 1" service and an oil change I am going to have to shell out more than $300!!! THen he says that if I want a front end alignment (I had mentioned it) it was going to be something like $150!!!! I was like BS on that...no freaking way. And then he tries to sell me on the "extended service" warranty for something like $1395! By this time I was totally ticked....I tried to have the service done, told I couldn't; then when I "met the criteria" I had to wait three weeks to get the car and (and added a couple thousand miles to my car!) And when it's all over he calls me to tell me I have a nail in my right front tire (I know that) and tries to sell me TWO (yes, just two) tires for $900 ON SALE!! what a joke!!!!
So for my big maintenance free warranty I got: ONE oil change; and ONE set of winshield wipers.

First thing I did when I got home was go to MINI.com and get to the "contact page..." wrote them a short version of the above story ; left them my email address and phone number. I'm going to call MINI USA tomorrow to ***** about it as well.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:05 PM
ChiliXer
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nouse4aname
Rotating tires yourself isn't a big deal...plus it's the only time I get a chance to really wash off the insides of the rims.
Ha yeah my thoughts, great time to get in there and clean out the break dust. Plus its really easy on the front heavy cars, the front location will lift the whole side up, and the crossing bit of the rotation really isn't that important.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:25 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
What's the proper torque setting when rotating tires and how can you tell? Usually if I do it myself I just tighten them "pretty good" but not "too good" where I crack a stud.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:36 PM
ChiliXer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by toolazyforalogin
What's the proper torque setting when rotating tires and how can you tell? Usually if I do it myself I just tighten them "pretty good" but not "too good" where I crack a stud.
103 ft-lbs. Honestly if you just use the tightest you can get them with muscle and not doing things crazy with the stock lug wrench it will be just about right.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:37 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
On your 2008, the proper torque setting for the wheel bolts is 140 newton-meters (or 103 foot-pounds). The only way to really know you've gotten it right is to use a torque wrench.

I'd *really* recommend a torque wrench, if for no other reason than 103 ft-lbs is higher than most cars recommend, so if you try to do it "by feel", you're likely to end up with undertightened bolts.

Last edited by ScottRiqui; 08-28-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:06 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
+1 on the 103ft lbs and torque wrench ...103 is pretty tight.

So, my Mini is less than 2 months old and has an oil leak which is pretty significant (about 4"x4" of fresh oil under the engine after each 10 mile drive). The leak has been there since day one, yet I was told it was cosmoline and would burn off. After a month and a half of driving and 500 miles the leak has gotten worse. So I called the dealer today and he had to look up whether this was under warranty or not. I was like WTF??? the car is less than 2 months old and has 500 miles on it, it better damn well be under warranty. Anyway, after "checking the computer" they determined it was under warranty. If they hadn't covered it you'd bet I'd be taking them to court. I believe there are lemon laws for new cars. Anyway, I was slightly peeved. ...but taking my car in, in 3 weeks (that's the soonest they can look at my leak ...hopefully it doesn't increase and drain the engine of oil and cause catastrophic failure before the 3 weeks are up ..or they'll be giving me a new engine). To be honest I am slightly annoyed that they didn't catch this when the engineers and tech people went over the car before delivery ...isn't that what I paid my $695 for?? I love my Mini, but a significant oil leak ...common guys.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:08 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Thanks....I'll wait for sears to have a sale.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:59 AM
Dave_in_Va
3rd Gear
OOpssss....just realized I posted in the 07 forum instead of the 06 forum. I'm going to copy my post and paste it there....sorry!

Oh, and just to update: my service 1 inspection (36k inspection) and oil change cost me $295

Last edited by Dave_in_Va; 08-29-2008 at 07:02 AM. Reason: update
Old 08-29-2008, 07:55 AM
Kemiqb
Neutral
Yes Mainline Mini/BMW are terrible!!!! My brother has has a BMW and gets his car serviced there as well. You have to raise hell to get a loaner. When it's time, i'll take my MINI to otto's in West Chester.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:08 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by redhornet
My personal experience with Mini dealerships tied to a BMW dealership is that they look down on Mini owners because we didn't spend over $40K for a car. My brother has a 2003 Cooper and his dealership consistently treated him as a nuisance, not a customer that spent over $20K on a car. When a stand alone Mini dealership opened near him, he started to take the car there and the difference in attitude and service was night and day. Always remember, these are car dealerships that are out to make as much money as possible on every person that comes onto their lot.
Wow - I've been mostly the opposite. Crown MINI in Richmond really do bend over backwards with customer service; I was repeatedly offered a loaner, but I knew it most likely not be a MINI but a BMW, since they (duh) have so many more of those. In Germany I had a local German BMW-only dealer (mostly used BMW - and before you think I'm dumb, not all the dealerships in Germany are German!), and the dual-dealership was 45 min away. Those BMW guys didn't know very much about the MINI, but they did a bang-up job figuring it out and doing their homework. And they were really great guys, too.

The most problems I had were with the dual-BMW/MINI dealer there. Very snotty, even when driving the husband's BMW. (I highly suspect that's due to history with "Ugly Americans" though...) I just about jumped across the counter and murdered the tech there when I watched my beautiful new car roll out with NASTY, rusty, dirty, steel rims on winter tires, however...And charged me 600 Euro anyway for them -- at the time, equivalent to almost $800. I told him I wanted the tires on MY rims. Evidently Germans have a completely different perspective of their "nice" cars and don't really care about aesthetics vs. practicality...which I could understand, except I was pretty explicit in TWO languages.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:17 AM
bhelton
4th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Wow - I've been mostly the opposite. Crown MINI in Richmond really do bend over backwards with customer service; I was repeatedly offered a loaner, but I knew it most likely not be a MINI but a BMW, since they (duh) have so many more of those.
With everyones' service issues, I'm glad to hear Crown has a good reputation. That's where I'll be ordering/servicing Stella. I know the MA I've been working with has been great (and very patient), but I don't know about the service department.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:30 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bhelton
With everyones' service issues, I'm glad to hear Crown has a good reputation. That's where I'll be ordering/servicing Stella. I know the MA I've been working with has been great (and very patient), but I don't know about the service department.
Again, I'm the opposite -- I have no idea about the MA side, but the service is . Oh, wait...I DO have experience with their MA side...they're the ones that keep pestering ME to SELL my MINI to THEM!!! NO NO NO NO NO!!!!