R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Need some help with post-order option confusion

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 11:47 AM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help with post-order option confusion

Ok, so Siva is at the dock, waiting for a boat. Now that I've had more time to look at things, I've come to the realization that I'm going to severely dislike my wheels. I got the S-winders under the notion "Hey, they'll be easier to clean than something like the web spoke" and I figured I'd upgrade later but that they'd work for a nice OEM set for a while. Of course now I realize they don't look that nice (to me) in person.

Options I'm considering:

1) Living with it. *shudder*
1b) Powdercoating black in the hopes that'd make them look more appealing... Cost: Unknown at the moment
2) Buying a set of 16" R90s and simply swapping them out (the 16" doesn't have the bolts all around the circumference) - Cost: $700 + Mounting/Balancing
3) Scraping the money together and buying a set of 17" R99s or 18" R105s from the dealer, or finding a set of wheels on TireRack that I'd enjoy (really wanting to keep OEM though...) - Cost: $1600 - $3000

Issue number two is with the clear bra option. My dealer wants to charge $799 for the partial front. I plan on getting the JCW Aero Kit installed at some point in the future, so would it be better to simply forgo the clear bra at this point and wait until I get the Aero? Or forgo the clear bra altogether? I've been wavering back and forth and I realize their price is on the higher end anyway so this may be the deal breaker...

Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure there are a few more things I'll think of before the MINI gets here, but that's what I get for being obsessed and rushing into the purchase without carefully thinking about it...

Old 06-20-2008, 12:25 PM
cryptiq
1st Gear
I can't help w/ the wheel dilema, but for the clear bra, I'd at least get your hood done. If you know you're going to ditch the existing front bumper, I wouldn't spend money putting a clear bra on it....unless you plan to resell it and think it would increase the resale value. While the buyer of your bumper might appreciate the fact you had it protected, I highly doubt you'll get the return on your investment. But definitely get the hood done. I loved my clear bra on my Audi.

Edit: $799 is way too much for the clear bra. Shop around. To do just your hood you really shouldn't have to spend more than $200...even that is on the high side.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:39 PM
Apple
6th Gear
Save your money on the clear bra....it looks bad in my honest opinion if a rock hits fix it

Old 06-20-2008, 12:55 PM
cryptiq
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Cybergypsy
Save your money on the clear bra....it looks bad in my honest opinion if a rock hits fix it
If it's installed properly, it shouldn't be noticeable from 5' away. And even if you notice it, hey, it's a bra, ask yourself if you'd rather see that or a black leather bra...personally I like the slightly visible clear bra. If you were to repair your paint every time a rock hit it, you'd pay for quite a few clear bras in the matter of a few months.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Apple
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cryptiq
If it's installed properly, it shouldn't be noticeable from 5' away. And even if you notice it, hey, it's a bra, ask yourself if you'd rather see that or a black leather bra...personally I like the slightly visible clear bra. If you were to repair your paint every time a rock hit it, you'd pay for quite a few clear bras in the matter of a few months.
the car i have now is a 2003 with 1 rock chip:(

Old 06-20-2008, 01:19 PM
MCEnvy
3rd Gear
I'd say if you hate the wheels, it's worth the money to change them. Don't forget, you're going to be living with them every day for a long time, and you won't get full enjoyment out of your car! I'd keep them for a few weeks just to confirm you don't like them. Then get some new wheels. $1,600+ sounds like a LOT of money on wheels though! Maybe keep a look out for deals or used wheels on this site until you find some that you love.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:29 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Mini Rule #1: don't buy anything from the dealer except the car unless you absolutely have to or unless you don't care what it costs. Especially wheels. The OEM wheels are overpriced enough as it is. Don't make the same mistake twice. I'd get a clear bra if I had it to do over. You'll get rock dings on the bonnett yes you will.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:37 PM
cryptiq
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Cybergypsy
the car i have now is a 2003 with 1 rock chip:(
If you prefer the look of that rock chip over a clear bra, then I'd say you made the decision that was right for you.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:25 PM
new22003
2nd Gear
I second staying away form the dealer. Is there any particular reason you want to stay with the OEM wheels? Not knocking your decision, just curious.

I chose the Bridge Spokes because it was on of the "base" wheels and I knew that one of the first mod I will be doing to my mini is new wheels and tires. Aftermarket wheels are lighter which will give you multiple benefits in performance and economy, if only slightly. They are much cheaper too, most of the sets I have priced come in well under $1000 with tires. They arguably look better and personalize your mini. You can sell your oem's here on on ebay to recoup some of the costs as well.

Look for an ad selling my Bridge Spokes when my mini arrives at the end of July! Ill make you a good deal

Old 06-20-2008, 02:59 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are lots of good choices for aftermarket wheels from other than the dealer. I've been running Rota RB 16x7 and two were damaged in an accident. I've just ordered a set of Rota Slipsteam 16x7 in Royal Gunmetal (polished rim) from http://www.fastmini.net/wheels.html. They weigh only 14 lbs., and cost $169.00 each.

You should be able to sell the S-winders on the NAM Marketplace forum pretty easily.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:06 PM
wbarnhill
I appreciate the responses! The reason I'd like OEM wheels is purely in my head. I mean I can simply buy stickers elsewhere that say MINI and slap them on aftermarket wheels, I guess I'm probably just worried I'd get wheels that look absolutely out of place on the MINI. I've looked around tirerack but for the ones I find myself liking, I'm looking at 1600 or so at least for wheels tires tpms sensors and shipping.
The clear bra is pretty invisible on the laser blue but that edge still irritates me (though not as much as a rock would!), it's mainly the price that bothers me, especially when i'll get rid of half of it by the end of the year. I guess I need to look for dealers of the film and hope I don't get a chip before getting to them!Thanks again everyone and keep up the ideas This is really helpful!

Old 06-20-2008, 04:20 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
rock chips can be fixed pretty well... there are do it yourself kits ..I have one, it works great.

I don't care for the clear bra.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:35 PM
mitemini
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Powdercoating your wheels to black will run you about $70 per wheel and approx $20 shipping (depending on where you are/if etc...) but the $70 is about normal. You may have other costs as well like taking the tires off, remount and rebalance. Dont forget downtime unless you have a spare set you can use in the meantime.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:48 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
Wb, I had the wheel dilemma, but kept mine.

I scoured the internet, looking at wheels.
Find something you like and swap them out. Don't look back.
You won't miss the old wheels if your ride is smoking hot!

Old 06-20-2008, 07:59 PM
wbarnhill
Originally Posted by DragonWagon
Wb, I had the wheel dilemma, but kept mine.

I scoured the internet, looking at wheels.
Find something you like and swap them out. Don't look back.
You won't miss the old wheels if your ride is smoking hot!
I'm looking at a few Rotas from FastMINI... we'll see what happens

Old 06-20-2008, 08:00 PM
new22003
2nd Gear
A couple things that may help you.

This site shows the weight of the factory wheels.
http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?f...heel_tire_tech

This site has some cheap packages although you have to watch the weights on some of the wheels. Many are the same weight or lighter than most stockers though. For a new mini (r56) you have to select the year 2007, the site doesnt appear to have minis as an option if you select 2008, same wheels though.
http://www.edgeracing.com/

Good luck

Old 06-21-2008, 12:59 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talk to people in your local club, too. Some may know of a set for sale, or have other leads.

FWIW, you might see if your dealer will TRADE your wheels for another set already ordered or on the lot. Mine did.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:34 PM
GaryCooper
1st Gear
I'd be real carefull with any type of front covering, such as a bra. Especially if you intend on leaving it on for any length of time. I had one for my old BMW 2002, and thought it would protect the paint from the rock chips. Well it did a pretty good job there, but moisture can build up under the bra and swirl or fog your paint. I learned a valuable lesson. Chips are much easier to fix than having your fenders and hood repainted.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:53 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Another potential problem is an unnoticed friction as you drive your car. I've heard of some paint rubs because of one. I bought a bra from a friend for $20 for our classic Porsche. It's never been on the car, and probably won't be. You wouldn't believe what the paint job cost--it's not worth the risk.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:17 PM
postlapsaria
3rd Gear
I just want to point out that the S-winders are not easy to clean at all. The car wash does a pretty good job getting them clean, but I hate going there. If you get down and physically clean them, it takes a while to get all the corners and everything.

I also have been considering getting my S-winders powdercoated black, but I have a feeling it might look weird. Apparently no one on NAM has done this yet either...there is a thread out there (that I started) asking for pix, with none posted yet.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:23 PM
wbarnhill
Originally Posted by postlapsaria
I just want to point out that the S-winders are not easy to clean at all. The car wash does a pretty good job getting them clean, but I hate going there. If you get down and physically clean them, it takes a while to get all the corners and everything.

I also have been considering getting my S-winders powdercoated black, but I have a feeling it might look weird. Apparently no one on NAM has done this yet either...there is a thread out there (that I started) asking for pix, with none posted yet.
Well damn, they're absolutely useless then! Oh well.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After living with white webspokes for a while, we got bridge spokes on the latest 2 MINIs. The bridge spokes look like the easiest to clean.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:29 AM
cryptiq
1st Gear
Originally Posted by GaryCooper
I'd be real carefull with any type of front covering, such as a bra. Especially if you intend on leaving it on for any length of time. I had one for my old BMW 2002, and thought it would protect the paint from the rock chips. Well it did a pretty good job there, but moisture can build up under the bra and swirl or fog your paint. I learned a valuable lesson. Chips are much easier to fix than having your fenders and hood repainted.
I think you folks are referring to a classic leather/vinyl black bra that is removable...whereas the thread starter (wbarnhill) was inquiring about a clear bra. A clear bra is not meant to be removable, except after several years, it's a clear film that adheres to the paint much like vinyl. The issues you mentioned are not a problem with clear bras.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:53 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Btwyx
After living with white webspokes for a while, we got bridge spokes on the latest 2 MINIs. The bridge spokes look like the easiest to clean.
Yes, they aren't hard to keep clean, in spite of BMW's continuing choice of dusty brake pads. I've found one thing that makes them easier, and it should make life with other wheels better, too. Use a terry cloth bath mitt (kids use them), soap it up, and wear it like a glove. If your fingers can touch it, they can clean it, too!