R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Finally picked up my MINI

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 10:44 AM
gababo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally picked up my MINI

Financed by Pentagon Federal Credit Union and insured by GEICO.
I had to pay $299 for processing fee and $61 for Virginia Business License fee and $10 online processing fee and accessories installation charge of $122. I though I didn't have to pay 6% sales tax on accessories, but MINI of Sterling charge 6% of total cost of MINI even though manager clearly explained that I pay only 5% Virginia sales on accessories.
You need to go over the receipt very carefully. I didn't go over very well when I was sitting with manger. When I got home, I couldn't account $175 difference, which MINI of Sterling might mistakenly overcharged or I missed something. I followed every breakdown of price(cost), I just can't figure out $175 difference. I already left voice message to manager to call me back to go over one more time with me. :-)
I didn't meant to complain here. At any rate, it went very smoothly. Picked up my MINI and drove about 40 miles now. So far, I love it. Very smooth drive, everything functions well. I noticed that when I was driving highway, I saw my MINI goes up to 33.7mpg on screen. I just can't wait to motor more. I added some pics. I'll add more as I explore my MINI more.
Everyone happy motoring!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Finally picked up my MINI-img_0142.jpg   Finally picked up my MINI-img_0146.jpg   Finally picked up my MINI-img_0147.jpg  
Old 06-21-2008, 10:46 AM
Apple
6th Gear
Congrats beautiful Motor on.......

Old 06-21-2008, 10:47 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats! Is this a pre-owned, or what? Good idea to go over the receipts and breakdowns... Happy Motoring!

Old 06-21-2008, 10:55 AM
gababo
2nd Gear
Brand New Baby

Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Congrats! Is this a pre-owned, or what? Good idea to go over the receipts and breakdowns... Happy Motoring!
It's a brand new baby. I waited exactly 6 weeks. Manager told me that they had very low stock due to high demand. I just hope for the best service for years ahead.
I gonna take a good care of my newborn baby.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:56 AM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
Congrats! Remember your break in information, and take excellent care of your new bundle of joy. Happy Motoring!

Old 06-21-2008, 10:58 AM
gababo
2nd Gear
Break In?

Originally Posted by wbarnhill
Congrats! Remember your break in information, and take excellent care of your new bundle of joy. Happy Motoring!
Any idea to take good care of my newborn baby for "break in" period? Any special care required?

Old 06-21-2008, 10:59 AM
PWClubmanPilot
1st Gear
Congratulations! I should be getting my Clubman First week of August... I understand your excitement!

Old 06-21-2008, 11:00 AM
gababo
2nd Gear
"Pre-Owned" Sign will mislead you....

Now I see why you ask that question. "Pre-owned" sign was for the direction.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Tweeckey
4th Gear
Congratulations! That's one nice MINI! Have fun motoring!

Old 06-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Scoopmama
6th Gear
Congrats on a great new ride!!

Here is my biggest tip (check other threads for vastly different and exciting opinions!) and some background. . .

I like to keep my cars forever. The first new car I bought 14 years ago was a Saturn wagon. It's still going strong with 240,000 miles on it.

Change your oil and filter around 500-800 miles, then again at about 2000. After that, every 3-5k. Also, be really deliberate about break-in. Easier said than done, since my gas pedal just seems to like it around 90 MPH!!! But try to vary your speed between 35-70 for the first 100 miles, then gradually up the speed (legally, of course!)

For us, the tedious break in time and the frequent oil changes have really helped us keep our old cars until there is absolutely no life left in them! Enjoy your baby! Forever!

Old 06-21-2008, 11:34 AM
gababo
2nd Gear
Thank you!!

Originally Posted by Scoopmama
Congrats on a great new ride!!

Here is my biggest tip (check other threads for vastly different and exciting opinions!) and some background. . .

I like to keep my cars forever. The first new car I bought 14 years ago was a Saturn wagon. It's still going strong with 240,000 miles on it.

Change your oil and filter around 500-800 miles, then again at about 2000. After that, every 3-5k. Also, be really deliberate about break-in. Easier said than done, since my gas pedal just seems to like it around 90 MPH!!! But try to vary your speed between 35-70 for the first 100 miles, then gradually up the speed (legally, of course!)

For us, the tedious break in time and the frequent oil changes have really helped us keep our old cars until there is absolutely no life left in them! Enjoy your baby! Forever!
Thank you so much for your tips. 240,000 miles? Wow, you are good "parent." hehe.... What do you mean by "vary your speed between 35-70 for the first 100 miles, then grdually up the speed ?"

I guess I need to learn how to change oil since MINI won't change oil for that short mile for free. She told me MINI follows internal indicator for the maintenance program. But for my baby, I don't mind to spend extra for good oil.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:37 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
You might want to get the service department on board with what you're learning -- I have less than 9,000 miles on my '07 and I wanted to get the oil changed. The service guys thought I'd have to pay...but because my baby was 12 months old (from "birth" date, not pick up date) the oil change was free. The computer readout said I still had another 6,000 to go before the first officially recommended change. That made me a bit nervous, so I was willing to pay for it. But free is cool, too!

Old 06-21-2008, 11:47 AM
gababo
2nd Gear
Good to know!!

You might want to get the service department on board with what you're learning -- I have less than 9,000 miles on my '07 and I wanted to get the oil changed. The service guys thought I'd have to pay...but because my baby was 12 months old (from "birth" date, not pick up date) the oil change was free. The computer readout said I still had another 6,000 to go before the first officially recommended change. That made me a bit nervous, so I was willing to pay for it. But free is cool, too!
Very good to know. I might change my oil several times before going for the "1-year" service. It would be wonderful to have a good friend who work for a local car service center.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:16 PM
DonkeyKong
Neutral
I want to know where that $175 went.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:37 PM
wj94
3rd Gear
Mini of Sterling doesn't seem to be very accomodating. I called 3x this morning and nobody picked up. They have no 07/08 cars to test drive, apparently they are all sold and there is no demo car. They won't be getting any more until August from what they said, and no Clubmans until November. Last time I called they told me on leases the MF was .0033, which is a full 2% higher interest than the base rate, along with "MSRP + dealer fees ONLY, no negotiating." I thought this was supposed to be one of the top dealers? I called Mini of Towson and they were much more willing to help.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Kyran
2nd Gear
Congratulations on your new baby. Nice colour choice by the way.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:55 PM
gababo
2nd Gear
Still waiting...

Originally Posted by DonkeyKong
I want to know where that $175 went.
I'm still waiting for the call. I carefull read through pages, but still can't figure out what $175 difference is for. I can't wait to go over with manager over the phone. If they made a mistake, I don't know what to say. It seems that internal computer generated the final paper. So I don't know.
I'll update when I get a call from her. I'm sure she got my message long time ago.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:58 PM
MINIspud
5th Gear
haha, i saw you picking up your car. I was on my black ZX-10 bike circling the back lot in hopes that my MINI got their early..

MIne is due monday..

congrats...

WJ, sorry you had a bad experience. MOS had the most sales of any MINI's last month for the entire country. They are VERY busy. Unless you show up at 9am when they open, you have to wait 20 minutes or more to talk to a salesman on saturdays.. During the week they are easier to get ahold of someone...

Mgmt let them sell the demo's b/c folks were begging to buy the cars..

Old 06-21-2008, 02:00 PM
SmokeM
5th Gear
Congrats don't forget to beat it into submission!

Old 06-21-2008, 02:02 PM
gababo
2nd Gear
My 2nd thought!!

Originally Posted by wj94
Mini of Sterling doesn't seem to be very accomodating. I called 3x this morning and nobody picked up. They have no 07/08 cars to test drive, apparently they are all sold and there is no demo car. They won't be getting any more until August from what they said, and no Clubmans until November. Last time I called they told me on leases the MF was .0033, which is a full 2% higher interest than the base rate, along with "MSRP + dealer fees ONLY, no negotiating." I thought this was supposed to be one of the top dealers? I called Mini of Towson and they were much more willing to help.
This might be the reason that one of my colleagues who lives in Norther Virginia went to Mini of Towson, MD to get his 2005 or 2006 MINI Cooper S Convertible. My sales woman was kind, but not really knowledgeable about cooper. And today, finally meet manager (I though she is manager who managed money ), and she seems indifference. Of course, she smiled and tried to be kind. But I felt a little bit distance.
No complaint. Just want to hear back from the manager regarding the $175 difference.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:03 PM
gababo
2nd Gear
You did?

Originally Posted by MINIspud
haha, i saw you picking up your car. I was on my black ZX-10 bike circling the back lot in hopes that my MINI got their early..

MIne is due monday..

congrats...

WJ, sorry you had a bad experience. MOS had the most sales of any MINI's last month for the entire country. They are VERY busy. Unless you show up at 9am when they open, you have to wait 20 minutes or more to talk to a salesman on saturdays.. During the week they are easier to get ahold of someone...

Mgmt let them sell the demo's b/c folks were begging to buy the cars..
Hold On!!! Did I see you in front of my baby when I was pulling out? I was so concentrated on my new baby. Maybe next time when we see, say "HI!"

Old 06-21-2008, 02:08 PM
gababo
2nd Gear
Thanks!!

Originally Posted by Kyran
Congratulations on your new baby. Nice colour choice by the way.
Thank you!! I though Dark Silver was classic looking like cream color. For me, black-top was must. I think every color has its unique appeal. I don't discriminate based on color. Just a part of expressing, I guess. I just love the way the MINI Cooper looks. It looks so cute, adorable, and very huggable if you know what I mean.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:11 PM
MINIspud
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gababo
Hold On!!! Did I see you in front of my baby when I was pulling out? I was so concentrated on my new baby. Maybe next time when we see, say "HI!"

Yeah, that was me. I saw you taking care of business..

I was wearing a red jacket, and my bike is all black with red flames.

what manger and salesman did you deal with?

I am working with Jeff, and he always seems pretty knowledgeable.. Well as best as a salesman can get. I doubt there are many mini salespersons who are into the minis' more than NAM folks. haha

MOS is crazy busy. I can see why some folks get turned away.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:42 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
...and why isn't your gallery populated?
When you pick up your Mini, you're supposed to:
Take the long way home.
Pick up a bottle of bubbly.
Post pictures you take that night...because you keep going back to look at your new Mini.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:50 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
And don't forget to park it in JUST the right spot, where you can see it from a.) your front window, or b.) your bedroom, so you can almost "sleep with it tucked in"

Quick Reply: R56 Finally picked up my MINI