R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Sun roof shader

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 11:22 PM
genik
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sun roof shader

I love my sunroof, there only one glitch, the shader, its pierced with holes and i just don't like when the suns Ultra Violet rays hit you with out protection! Maybe it would be best if the sunshade was with a non pierced material, is there anything on the market to make a replacement?

Old 06-21-2008, 11:28 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a co-worker recomment some pierced thingy that has been on other sites as a Corvette sun roof filter.
I may look into it. Party on, Wayne!

Old 06-21-2008, 11:33 PM
genik
5th Gear
But a pierced sun roof shader just wont work cause the suns rays will drop right in the cabin! Needs to be non pierced and UV resistant!

Old 06-22-2008, 12:42 AM
jjp007
4th Gear
Originally Posted by genik
But a pierced sun roof shader just wont work cause the suns rays will drop right in the cabin! Needs to be non pierced and UV resistant!
thats called tint. Get the window tinted with ceramic tinting!

I think the pierced fabric over the sunroof is to keep the bugs out, not really the sun.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:46 AM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heres the best solution I know about:

http://www.stratmosphere.com/mini_interior.htm

Old 06-22-2008, 05:05 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
That may be the cat's meow Judge, but dang that seems a bit pricey.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:30 AM
JudgeS
6th Gear
I don't think $59 for both is pricey at all.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:40 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Well, considering it's custom fit -- not a smal detail to overlook these days! -- the price is pretty commensurate. Have you checked out the front windshield shade prices for MINIs lately? Same kind of price. And Walmart etc. are always out of stock on all kinds of shades nowadays!

ANYWAY... genik - you may want to go the route of getting your sunroof tinted a little more instead of replacing the screen. This way you don't have to worry about taking anything out/in/ or remembering to remove it before you open the roof. And if you like graphics, some of the cool roof graphics make the interior darker (kinda tinted).

Good luck!

Old 06-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Apple
6th Gear
the one i have now has it, it way to hot in florida, my one on order i passed on the sunroof and happy i did

Old 06-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Another option would be to replace the factory shade with material that is solid. Not for the faint of heart since you have to remove the sunroof glass to access the rollers.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Mini S Pilot
5th Gear
I found smaller size sun shades, really close to those pictured above, in our local Dollar Store. Very light weight and fit right up in each side of the sunroof. It only takes an extra minute to put them in place when I know the car will be sitting in the sun for awhile. While driving around with them in the Mini screens hold them in place fine without sagging.

I've searched the local Dollar Stores after seeing that these worked so well. I was going to share my find with other Mini owners. I've not been able to find anymore, except the three in my original purchase. I'll keep my eye out though, just in case.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:45 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Yes, please!

Old 06-22-2008, 12:58 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I love my sunroof, there only one glitch, the shader, its pierced with holes and i just don't like when the suns Ultra Violet rays hit you with out protection! Maybe it would be best if the sunshade was with a non pierced material, is there anything on the market to make a replacement?
The factory tinted and laminated sunroof glass should allow very little of the UVA and UVB radiation through. The screen further reduces both. If you're concerned about the radiation that does get through, you can have aftermarket tinting added that will stop 100% of both.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:58 PM
genik
5th Gear
I think that replacing the mini tints with other more solid "non screened tints" would be better, any such thing out there?

Old 06-22-2008, 02:58 PM
bmwg84
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JudgeS
Heres the best solution I know about:

http://www.stratmosphere.com/mini_interior.htm
I'd get that in a heartbeat if it didn't look so Ghetto-Fab installed. That crap will blow out my window at 100mph

Old 06-22-2008, 04:07 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
Another option would be to replace the factory shade with material that is solid. Not for the faint of heart since you have to remove the sunroof glass to access the rollers.
Plus you would then obviously loose the functionality of the screen, to me far more important. My A3 had the same issue and people always complained on the Audi boards, but honestly I don't see why. I have very fair skin, I never remember one occasion where the light that came through would have any effect on it as far as sun burn or tan. For those who say its to bright and have to wear sunglasses, if it were that bright out wouldn't you be wearing sunglasses for the light coming through your windshield that you have to look at anyway. The biggest issue I have with this design is the amount of heat it causes in the vehicle when parked (once driving any heat caused is easily remedied by venting the sunroof) most easily fixed by some sort of sunshade. Changing the blind or tinting the sunroofs, gives up light closed (tint) or air open (shade instead of screen) you just cant get back. And do be honest the whole reason to get a sunroof is to add light and air for a feeling of openness, that IMHO the Mini coupe specifically needs.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:01 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Living in South Florida the sun beats down on you including the heat so since my MCS came with the dual sunroofs I bought the sun screens from Minspeed for $35.They work great and can be removed and stored easily.

Link:http://minspeed.net/R56SRS.htm

Old 06-22-2008, 05:19 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Thats a lot better price than the Strat. ones as well.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JudgeS
Plus you would then obviously loose the functionality of the screen, to me far more important.
I'm like you, I like the screen and don't need a darker cover. But many are not like us and want a solid cover. Most of the time I have mine open anyway without the screen. So the few times I would want it solid, replacing the screen with a solid material is a good option.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:47 PM
6th Gear
All tint (Likely even the factory tint) filters out UV Rays. I wouldn't worry about it if that's your only concern...

Old 06-23-2008, 06:02 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Does anybody have pictures of the "after" of a perforated roof graphic/tint? ("light" is not easy to take pics of, I know!)

Old 06-23-2008, 07:40 AM
OPC
RATTUS Deserticus
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Does anybody have pictures of the "after" of a perforated roof graphic/tint? ("light" is not easy to take pics of, I know!)
Not ideal photos, but the Cooper Flags gallery has some decent shots. Scroll to the bottom of the page for interior shots. They're not all perforated, but still translucent.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:24 AM
MCEnvy
3rd Gear
Yes, as mentioned above, I've always been under the impression that all cars' windows come with UV protection built in. Even if they're not tinted, they have a built-in film to stop the UV rays. I think they block out 87% or so. Otherwise, everyone would have a sun burn from driving in the sun!

Old 06-23-2008, 09:34 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OPC
Not ideal photos, but the Cooper Flags gallery has some decent shots. Scroll to the bottom of the page for interior shots. They're not all perforated, but still translucent.
AHA! Thanks! Now I just have to find the graphic I really want!

Old 06-23-2008, 09:51 AM
OPC
RATTUS Deserticus
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
AHA! Thanks! Now I just have to find the graphic I really want!
Make sure you take a peak at the FAQ section. The perforated material does not have the life expectancy of the opaque (solid) material; approximately 2yr vs. 5yr, respectively.

Last edited by OPC; 06-23-2008 at 09:51 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: R56 Sun roof shader