R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Can the ECU record "abuse"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 02:47 PM
orhanz33
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can the ECU record "abuse"?

BMW recently began using new ECU's with their N54 applications (135, 335i) which allows them to determine whether there was ever any type of modification done to the factory ECU/tuning. I've also read that it can be determined whether the car was "abused" (redlined, over-rev, driven aggrssively).

Can this type of "abuse" be determined on the MCS as well? Perhaps not with the same ECU applications used on BMW's, but can Mini dealers pull the ECU if needed to determine the determine the "abuse" or driving style of the owner?

Old 06-22-2008, 03:53 PM
rickdm
2nd Gear
Someone told me they went to the dealer and the information is recorded on your key. They just put your key in a reader and they can tell al kinds of information, including maximum rpm's.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:05 PM
sk8erguyzach
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rickdm
Someone told me they went to the dealer and the information is recorded on your key. They just put your key in a reader and they can tell al kinds of information, including maximum rpm's.

thats tru the key records everything including miles uve driven on that key

Old 06-22-2008, 04:21 PM
maxx629
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sk8erguyzach
thats tru the key records everything including miles uve driven on that key

Sounds like the wife's key is whats going to service

Old 06-22-2008, 04:37 PM
cartar452
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by maxx629
Sounds like the wife's key is whats going to service
Why should it matter? When you bought the car did the dealer say if you drive it hard and something breaks that you're not covered?

Old 06-22-2008, 04:42 PM
sk8erguyzach
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cartar452
Why should it matter? When you bought the car did the dealer say if you drive it hard and something breaks that you're not covered?
the dealer is very picky bout the warrenty if u add any upgrades yourself and something breaks they blame it on ur moding an they can link a faulty air box to an upgraded short thro shifter so remove any mod uve done yourself b4 u get it serviced

Old 06-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Jhud
4th Gear
the key cannot tell you max RPMS, it will however tell mileage the last time the key was used and also what serivices are due. based on CBS data and key read it can tell the vin and basic info such as what engine as so forth. the key however cannot report or store abuse. The DME ( digital motor electronics ) however can. RTEs ( regional technical engineers ) have access to this data incase of abuse in determining warranted items. they look at this through something called FASTA data transmitted via the internet when the vehicle is hooked up to a gt1 ( BMW diagnostic software ). RTEs can look at this " shadow memory" as its called and are the only ones.
hope this helps

Old 06-22-2008, 05:12 PM
DanF
5th Gear
The first time I brought my car in for service they put the key in the reader and it said 135,000 miles or somewhere around that. I have a bunch of other keys attached to the ring and he said if there is extra weight on the key it reads wrong. The service rep had to hold the weight off the key to get the correct reading of 13,000 miles.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:55 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No.. it's not.

The only information coded onto the key is your VIN.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:56 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jhud
the key cannot tell you max RPMS, it will however tell mileage the last time the key was used and also what serivices are due. based on CBS data and key read it can tell the vin and basic info such as what engine as so forth. the key however cannot report or store abuse. The DME ( digital motor electronics ) however can. RTEs ( regional technical engineers ) have access to this data incase of abuse in determining warranted items. they look at this through something called FASTA data transmitted via the internet when the vehicle is hooked up to a gt1 ( BMW diagnostic software ). RTEs can look at this " shadow memory" as its called and are the only ones.
hope this helps
What he said --^

Jhud is a BMW Tech, and I'm too lazy to type most of the same information, so there ya go..

Old 06-22-2008, 05:58 PM
cartar452
Banned
Originally Posted by DanF
The first time I brought my car in for service they put the key in the reader and it said 135,000 miles or somewhere around that. I have a bunch of other keys attached to the ring and he said if there is extra weight on the key it reads wrong. The service rep had to hold the weight off the key to get the correct reading of 13,000 miles.
So the more you drive the heavier your key gets?

Old 06-22-2008, 06:00 PM
wellzy
4th Gear
i asked at the dealer (classic in mintor) they said that the key fob is only milage/who you are. the upc logs revs/speed but they only look at that if you bring in a motor that you blow up.