R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Opinions Wanted on Shift Knob Designs

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 07:43 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Opinions Wanted on Shift **** Designs

I've been experimenting with some designs for shift ***** and would like to hear what people think about them.

1. Amboyna burl & African blackwood:

2. Racing Stripe lamination of cherry and walnut burl. It could be done with any contrasting hardwoods.

3. Inspired by the shift **** in a Mazda 787B raced at Le Mans. It was supposed to reduce fatigue over the 24 hour race.

4. A shape that I worked out that I think is more comfortable than the "Le Mans" cylinder and provides good control for quick shifting.

Please let me know what you think on one or more.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Lippy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the first one the most. Actually- I like them in the order you posted. 1st best, 4th worst.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:25 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Thanks. Of the first two, is it the woods you like, or the single stripe vs. the triple stripe? Or, is it the spherical shape?

Old 06-22-2008, 08:55 PM
Bottoz
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock? <- Matches the car best. The others look out of place.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:04 PM
postlapsaria
3rd Gear
I really like the first one...I like the single stripe, the type of wood, and the shape. I think it matches the MINI well, and would especially go well with my Redwood interior and wood wheel.

I think the 3rd one does not fit the interior at all, nor would the 4th.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:13 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
The different shapes can be made out of other woods. IMO, the maple would go fine with a Creamline interior or Tuscan Lounge Leather, but I can see your point about wanting something that integrates more with other interiors. I tend to like shift ***** and eBrake handles to be accents, rather than blending in, but that is just my taste.

I'm surprised that people like the stock ****. I found it rather uncomfortable for shifting, and the chromed plastic and vinyl make think it belongs in a Crackerjacks box. This **** is what started me on this whole **** making thing.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:16 PM
luckyduck
2nd Gear
Just looking at these, I think #2 would be the most comfortable in my hand, then #1. I don't care for 3 and 4.

Call me weird but this is about how I find myself driving and shifting. Sometimes I rest my hand on the shifter - 3 is too edgy and 4 is too pointy. Sometimes I shift with my fingertips just below centerline - think spider standing on a ball. ***** 1 and 2 look great for that. Sometimes I grasp the shifter from the side or top with the **** in my palm and roll it from gear to gear. Again 3 and 4 don't look too comfortable for that but 1 and 2 would be great.

As for color, 3 and 4 don't look very "custom". I like 1 and 2 best by far and would play with color/stripe variations between the two. I'm trying to visualize the colors of 1 on 2.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:27 AM
Mirrim
Wrench Wench
Hmm, don't like number 4 at all really. For every day driving, 3 doesn't look too comfortable, but I like the styling overall. Out of 1 and 2, 2 looks to be the most comfortable, but I like the woods used on number 1 the best. Number 2 with the woods from number 1 would be nearly perfect.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:11 AM
Nightsky
2nd Gear
I like the shape and stripes of #2 the best.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:03 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Thanks for your replies.

While #4 may look odd, I came to that shape through several experiments. The idea behind the Le Mans handle is that you would grab it with your hand in about the same angle as you hold the steering wheel. With a standard ****, one usually rotates their wrist to grab the ****. Also, a pistol grip like grab makes the shift throw a little easier.

After trying several shapes, I found this bullet shape to be quite comfortable.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:11 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i liek 2nd one.... the last 2 looks liek a sex toy

Old 06-23-2008, 09:18 AM
Creeve
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Thanks for your replies.

While #4 may look odd, I came to that shape through several experiments. The idea behind the Le Mans handle is that you would grab it with your hand in about the same angle as you hold the steering wheel. With a standard ****, one usually rotates their wrist to grab the ****. Also, a pistol grip like grab makes the shift throw a little easier.

After trying several shapes, I found this bullet shape to be quite comfortable.
There are actually alot of anthropometric studies showing just that. The studies were actually conducted to show the benefits of door handles over door *****. A **** style grip reduces grip and arm strength significantly over a handle style.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:31 AM
Doug W
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like #2 the best.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:38 AM
Lyme
2nd Gear
Robin,
I like #2, then #1. I love contrast and the beautiful lamination. All of your ***** are wonderful works of art. My MINI is an auto trans or I would have an RC **** of my very own.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Slay
1st Gear
Robin,
Have you though about turning a segmented form using contrasting wood to make a checkerboard pattern… either horizontally or vertically? I know there’s a lot more work involved with segmented turning, but I think the results are worth it. I’ve often thought of turning a checkerboard pattern myself. Too many other projects to knock out though.
Love your wood selection! Where do you get your timbers?

Old 06-23-2008, 11:19 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Checkers

Originally Posted by Slay
Robin,
Have you though about turning a segmented form using contrasting wood to make a checkerboard pattern… either horizontally or vertically? I know there’s a lot more work involved with segmented turning, but I think the results are worth it. I’ve often thought of turning a checkerboard pattern myself. Too many other projects to knock out though.
Love your wood selection! Where do you get your timbers?
I have a couple checker inlay ***** that didn't work out as well as I would like. Learned a few things, and bought a precision thickness sander since then. So yes, I'm working on some check *****.

Here are the experiments in ebony & white holly:

The one on the left isn't too bad, except that some natural coloration showed up near the bottom. Perhaps I should turn it into a more spherical shape.

I don't like the check pattern on the one on the right. It is too asymmetrical. I'll probably cut it out and inlay a larger and more symmetrical checker piece.

When I get some more checks put together (it is something of a pain getting it just right) I was thinking of something like stripe **** #1 with checks where the stripe is. Not sure whether it should be one row, two rows, or three rows of checks.

The ***** could be out of other woods as well. I might try African Blackwood or walnut.