R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 About to purchase, Please check specs

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 11:22 AM
Drea
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to purchase, Please check specs

Hi...After lurking around for quite some time I have gotten together everything to go ahead and order my little darling

Here are the specs on what I'm putting in for on Wednesday, please give opinions about anything I may need to add/delete! I am open to any reasonable suggestion. Thanks!!

2008 justaCooper, Automatic
BRG w black top & black bonnet stripes
Chrome mirror caps
Chrome gas cap
15" Rotator spoke wheels (may upgrade this later)
Std seats w the std black/grey leatherette
Premium package (Auto AC, Sunroof, HiFi sound)
Front & Rear fogs
Auto wipers/headlamps
Chrome line interior
Multifunction steering wheel

Old 06-23-2008, 12:40 PM
auggiedoggie01
Neutral
Originally Posted by Drea
Hi...After lurking around for quite some time I have gotten together everything to go ahead and order my little darling

Here are the specs on what I'm putting in for on Wednesday, please give opinions about anything I may need to add/delete! I am open to any reasonable suggestion. Thanks!!

2008 justaCooper, Automatic
BRG w black top & black bonnet stripes
Chrome mirror caps
Chrome gas cap
15" Rotator spoke wheels (may upgrade this later)
Std seats w the std black/grey leatherette
Premium package (Auto AC, Sunroof, HiFi sound)
Front & Rear fogs
Auto wipers/headlamps
Chrome line interior
Multifunction steering wheel
I would suggest is upgrading the wheels now... 08s have in wheel TPMS so it makes it difficult to find second hand even that will be less expensive than upgrading with the order.

Good call on the front fogs ... personally, I went with the clear turns and I think they'd go nicely with you chromeline choice. You may also want to consider the JCW side scuttles and carriers. They have a chrome trim that should also look a little better with the chromeline than the justacooper stock... I know I like mine... I don't the scuttles on yet in the pic.

You'll love it! anyway you wind up configuring...

Old 06-23-2008, 12:53 PM
gababo
2nd Gear
scuttles are cute... must have IMHO....

Paying $166 plus installation for scuttles???? But worth every penny, IMHO. I know it's too pricey.... I hope they reduce the price down to like $60 or something.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:58 PM
auggiedoggie01
Neutral
Originally Posted by gababo
Paying $166 plus installation for scuttles???? But worth every penny, IMHO. I know it's too pricey.... I hope they reduce the price down to like $60 or something.
Install is a super snap. Lift the bonnet pop out the old pop in the new... I think it took me 5 min.

You could do an order from http://www.Minspeed.net they were a little cheaper... there is also a Carbon Fiber / CF look set out there I think they were like $130. I went JCW because of my grill and someother JCW stuff I ahve in Auggie...

Old 06-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by auggiedoggie01
I would suggest is upgrading the wheels now... 08s have in wheel TPMS so it makes it difficult to find second hand even that will be less expensive than upgrading with the order.
I would disagree with this. Factory wheels are expensive, and too heavy. Since TPMS is government mandated, all wheel makers have had to comply if they want to continue selling wheels. While you need to check that used wheels would accept TPMS sensors, most new wheels will.

I just ordered a set of Rota Slipstream 16x7 wheels in gunmetal with a polished rim from http://www.fastmini.net/wheels.html (another NAM sponsor). Haven't received them yet, but I have a set of Rota RBs and they are excellent quality. The RBs were damaged in an accident, so I'm changing to a wheel that is lighter and easier to clean. The Slipstreams weigh less than 14 lbs and cost $169 each. The 16x7 size is just right for 205/50-16 or 205/55-16 tires to give you a little more tread than the stock 195/55-16. This is assuming that in upgrading, you want to go one size up. 17x7 Rotas are also available. They have some 15" but you would need to be sure they would fit.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:30 PM
auggiedoggie01
Neutral
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
I would disagree with this. Factory wheels are expensive, and too heavy. Since TPMS is government mandated, all wheel makers have had to comply if they want to continue selling wheels. While you need to check that used wheels would accept TPMS sensors, most new wheels will...
Certainly agreed, regarding the TPMS (remember that mid 07s and all 08s have sensors in the wheels not the hubs like the gen1s). I was suggesting that it would be benificial to consider upgrading with the build order for $750, including OEM run-flats. Considering that run-flats themselves cost $200 +/- a piece.

Aftermarket options are endless with the proper amount of $$...

If anything, at a minimum talk, with a couple of wheel / tire places and see what an upgrade (15s to 16s or 17s) may cost package-wise or check on-line, weigh the options, and then decide if "economically" it makes sense to order with the build or buy aftermarket.

Opinions will probably vary greatly, we all have our personal preferences.

That's why each MINI is "you-nique"

Old 06-23-2008, 05:35 PM
mellocooper
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Think about getting bluetooth if it's not included with the premium radio-- I love it!

Old 06-23-2008, 06:36 PM
auggiedoggie01
Neutral
good call with the bluetooth , supposedly illegal to use your phone in the car w/o handsfree here in FL... I didn't get it, but I got a nuvi 360 and bought the OEM mount from the dealership... essentially I got the portable nav. kit for about 1/2 the price . Bluetooth works great but ... I wish I could use the steering wheel controls .

Old 06-23-2008, 07:01 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
Plenty are downgrading from chrome to black!