R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Pulling the trigger next month!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 10:43 PM
RSXtoMCS
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulling the trigger next month!

Hello everyone,

So, after four months of waiting, bugging my co-workers everyday with Mini stories and every now and then walking around the Mini dealership lot to lift me back up after a stressful day at work, I've decided to place my order for a R56! I have a SoCal dealer in mind as well as a configuration and I'd like to get everybody's $.02 on my plan.

As for the dealer, I'm planning on going through Long Beach Mini. Two reasons for this decision. First, I've heard of many good experiences regarding their service. Second, they're relatively close to my favorite spot in LB. For everyone who's dealt with Long Beach Mini, are you still happy with their service?

And for my configuration, here's what I've come up with...

DS/B with bonnet stripes
Getrag
Sport
Premium
LSD
Xenon (read multiple posts regarding these and the H13's and decided on the HID’s)
Rear fog lights
Anthracite
Piano Black
White turn signals
Multifunction wheel
AWD

Actually, make that FWD. Maybe AWD will be an option in 2015? (What a beast of a Mini that will be!)

So that's my game plan. I've been content with these decisions for the last few months so I'm comfortable with my dealer and configuration preferences. If you have any suggestions though, please let me know.

As for his name... Austin! (Yes, I've spent some time around I-35 and Mopac! I miss Taco Cabana!!! )

Last edited by RSXtoMCS; 06-23-2008 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:17 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've also heard good things about Long Beach. The downside was that they sold their allotment quickly and sometimes you had to buy into next month's allotment, so a delay in getting a car.

The only thing I would get in the 2008 Sport Package is DSC. Are you sure you want sport suspension? I'd advise driving both to make sure.

The factory 17" wheels are very heavy. The Crown-Spoke 17" wheels weigh 22.5 lbs. I think the Web-Spokes are the same or heavier. If you are concerned about performance, lighter wheels are better. I ended up selling mine and getting a set of 16 lb. wheels for $750. Aslo switched to non-runflat tires. Sold the Crown-Spokes with Dunlap runflats (had about 1500 miles on them, IIRC) for about $600 in the NAM Marketplace.

If you are getting an S, I'd recommend getting LSD. The car has a lot of torque, and FWD cars like to spin wheels. Without LSD, a computer system called ASC kicks in and applies the brake to a spinning wheel, and can cut engine power. LSD will reduce the intervention of ASC.

I didn't get the sunroof. Too much glass on top. It adds weight to the highest point of the car, and cannot be full blocked off. Some sunroofs have had problems with leaks, wind noise, and mechanical problems. Some have been trouble free. However, if you really want a sunroof...

I got the HIFI and found that it can sound pretty good if you swap out the speakers. It could use more bass, but otherwise pretty clean with good speakers. The factory speakers aren't that great. They tend to distort with some songs, sound OK with others. IMO, the HIFI and new speakers is the most economical way to get decent sound in a MINI.

In spite of living in California, I like the heated seats in the Cold Weather package. Don't have much call for the headed windshield washers, but the 2007 version came with rainsensing windshield wipers, and they are nice.

I'm a big fan of the NAV. It integrates audio, navigation, traffic alerts (reroutes you around jams when navigation is being used), Bluetooth, and car settings. I also think it looks better than the huge speedometer.

I have the Xenons, but don't like them for driving on country roads with oncoming traffic. Low beams are too bright and cut off sharply. That makes it very hard to see beyond their reach. I prefer the halogens of my 1990 Integra.

When I ordered, I thought the Comfort Access was rather gimmicky, but now I like it a lot. I just leave the fob in the coin pocket of my Levis. Locking & unlocking the car without a key is nice. Push the Start/Stop button and go.

Rear fog lamps are a good idea if you ever drive north on Hwy 5 or down Hwy 1 to Sandy Ego. Also useful for alerting drivers that you think they are following too close. If they aren't doing it maliciously, they usually back off. They are only $100.

The Lounge Leather seats have lumbar support. The cloth don't. Some of the inbetween seat options may, you'd have to check, if you want them.

I recommend the Anthracite Headliner. It includes the pillars. Looks much better than stock, IMO.

I went for Piano Black interior, probably get English Oak if I were doing it again.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:23 AM
luckyduck
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice. Mine is sitting on a dock in Southampton right now. Before this is all said and done with, you will know your VIN "better than your SSN" as somebody put it. It may take a few weeks to get the VIN.