R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Getting ready to order a Dark Silver MCS

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 05:03 PM
miniSdave5341
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting ready to order a Dark Silver MCS

Hello all,
I know there have been lots of threads regarding what to order on a MCS. Just looking for some advice from those of you that have experiance with various packages/options. I plan on getting the following:

1. Dark Silver MCS with black racing stripes
2. Xenon headlamps
3. Limited Slip
4. Rear Fogs
5. Hi-fi sound
6. Piano Black interior
7. Staying with leatherette seats
8. Arm rest
9. Multi function steering wheel
10. I am on the fence about the sport package. Definately want DSC but am wondering about the sport susupension (seems cheap for what you get) and the web-spoke 17 wheels. Love the look of the wheels but have read lots of complaints about ride quaility with 17" wheels and sport suspension. I will be taking it through twisties tho. How much worse of a ride are we talking here? Also what about the cost to replace the 17" wheels vs. 16" vs. performance? BTW, I am not so intrested in buying aftermarket wheels personally. So whatever MINI wheels I get I plan on keeping.

Considering: Anthracite headliner, heated seats (not sure about these though), white turn signal option (not sure if this is available with xenons or not)

Any advise you may have regarding this would be very helpful

Old 06-24-2008, 05:11 PM
loislane
1st Gear
OOOHHH you must do the Anthracite head liner! It looks HOT, My husband has it in his 08 MCJCW you can't go wrong with it. The part I like best is when you look into the car from the outside the A-pillars are dark grey too so they don't look white, kind of a shamu look when you go with the lighter color. Other than that you are on the right track with all your other options. Enjoy your MINI.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:16 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
Very nice build, looks like you have most everything covered. Definitely consider the white turn signals if you don't want any amber in your headlights/tail lights. Even better with Xenons I would imagine.

Excellent choice in color, too

Old 06-24-2008, 05:20 PM
DMAC57
4th Gear
Great color.....must ne Dave thing!

Old 06-24-2008, 05:36 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
I have a dark silver MCS w/ black trim on order.

couple things I did that might help you out:

-Anthracite headliner
-I did not get the sport package, but instead bought the sport suspension and LSD for $1,000 total.
-Ordered some all black Konig Runaway w/ Yokohama's from a 3rd party vendor (only $1,200 total).
-JCW aero kit
-All black leather interior
-Carbon fiber intake on hood
-no stripes (Just me, but I don't care for the fact that they are vinyl and not painted. If the stripes were painted, then i'd definitely get 'em).
-white turn signals

I got some other items, but thought that may help you w/ the sport option. I think it's $2k w/ the nicer wheels, ...yet for the same price you can get the suspension and LSD and after market wheels that are better than what Mini offers. -that's what I recommend.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:34 PM
miniSdave5341
1st Gear
thanks for the feedback so far.....three questions:

1. Is the high-fi stereo worth it?
2. I have read to get white turn signals but I cant seem to find that option on the configurator.
3. Is there anyone who has driven both a 07 or up Mini with 17 inch wheels and sport package and a 07 or up Mini without? If so what is the differance in ride exactly?

Old 06-24-2008, 07:23 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniSdave5341
2. I have read to get white turn signals but I cant seem to find that option on the configurator.
It's under Step 1. Right under Body Color, choose Details. Should be the first option on the left.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:26 PM
loislane
1st Gear
1. yes the HK stereo is worth it. 2. not sure where to find that option 3.the 08 with sport pkg is STIFF but is where it needs to be. this also depends on the tires. My hubby has an 08 with the sport suspension and it is stiff, great in corners, straight on the highway for distance driving. Sometimes the tires get caught in the road ridges but less so with his dunlops vs my pirellis', both are RF tires too.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:16 PM
HerboS
1st Gear
Get the heated seats, I have had them in my last several cars, and would not go without them. They are great for long drives, not just cold weather. I use them all year to relax my back.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:15 PM
italianfry
1st Gear
Hello all,
I know there have been lots of threads regarding what to order on a MCS. Just looking for some advice from those of you that have experiance with various packages/options. I plan on getting the following:

2. Xenon headlamps
3. Limited Slip
4. Rear Fogs
5. Hi-fi sound
6. Piano Black interior
8. Arm rest
10. I am on the fence about the sport package. Definately want DSC but am wondering about the sport susupension (seems cheap for what you get) and the web-spoke 17 wheels. Love the look of the wheels but have read lots of complaints about ride quaility with 17" wheels and sport suspension. I will be taking it through twisties tho. How much worse of a ride are we talking here? Also what about the cost to replace the 17" wheels vs. 16" vs. performance? BTW, I am not so intrested in buying aftermarket wheels personally. So whatever MINI wheels I get I plan on keeping.

Considering: Anthracite headliner, heated seats (not sure about these though), white turn signal option (not sure if this is available with xenons or not)

Wanna just buy mine? only difference is racing stripes and mine is auto. BOOOOOO! That was dumb of me. I have had problems with keeping the piano black clean as when i get in the car my huge feet always scuff the door. would have taken the alloy if i could've done it again. have fun!

Old 06-24-2008, 09:26 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
i disagree that the better stereo option is worth it. I listened to both at the dealer and they honestly sound the same to me. ...yet again, this comes down to personal preference. I am probably not the audiophile that some are?

Old 06-24-2008, 09:29 PM
MiniMedic
2nd Gear
pretty much same build as i did! even down that that smooth, sexy, yet with a hint of machismo, dark silver. here's what i think: skip on the sport package. your $1500 goes a lot farther in the after market. you can get nice rims and tires (or tyres if you prefer) for about a G, and a much much larger anti sway bar for less then $500. i did opt for the DSC, and the prem package, and the heated seats. if for no other reason, it keeps the ladies happy after a hard day of snowboarding.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:37 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
your $1500 goes a lot farther in the after market.
+1 on that.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:59 AM
aem421
4th Gear
Hello all,

2. Xenon headlamps
3. Limited Slip
4. Rear Fogs
5. Hi-fi sound
6. Piano Black interior
8. Arm rest

I have almost the same car. Here's my .02 cents:
1. You don't need the Hi-Fi Sound system, I've heard both and they sound the same.
2. Piano Black interior is nice but shows finger prints and scratches really easy.
3. Change the leatherette to cloth. I've driven cars with both and the leatherette is hot in the summer and cold in the winter.
4. Definitely get the anthracite headliner. Looks sooo much better.
5. Definitely get the DSC. It holds the car in place on hills for about 4 seconds before it starts to roll back. Very nice feature.
6. I've driven cars with both 16" and 17" wheels. I couldn't tell the difference. I would say skip the sport suspension. If you want a better suspension, go aftermarket.
7. Above all, get the white turn signals. That is the one thing I really wish I got with mine.

Anyway, good luck!

Old 06-25-2008, 06:31 AM
provofam
2nd Gear
It sounds like you really want a good suspension setup if your going to be driving the car on the twisties alot. You should either go with the sport suspension now or buy aftermarket. However if your concerned about ride quality, then either of those options is going cause the ride quality to suffer. You mentioned that you would probably buy aftermarket rims. That is what I did as well as I really didn't like the look of the 16" rims that came with the car. I also don't have the sport package but I do plan on upgrading my suspension via the aftermarket. I'm not sure where you live but up here in Chicago the heated seats are nice on chilly days as well as easing a sore back. Good luck on the purchase and have fun with your new MINI

Old 06-25-2008, 06:44 AM
Bool
Neutral
Retarded Question:

If you just go with some stock rims and then buy some after market rims, does that cause any issues with the warranty? Also when you're going with the aftermarket rims, are you guys also buying new tires?

Old 06-25-2008, 11:06 AM
provofam
2nd Gear
I can't imagine that it would affect your warranty at all. The rims and tires that I installed have no clearance issues and you can get 18" rims directly from the dealer. You could always ask your dealer but they would have to prove that it caused a failure. I did buy new tires as well. I had too much fun with the S and the runflats were starting to get run thin

Old 06-25-2008, 11:40 AM
eR1c
5th Gear
it's just easier and probably not much more to order your wheels and tires together. Almost all companies will balance your wheel/tire combo for free or for very little when you buy the set from them. Go online, there are tons of places selling wheels/tires for great prices.

If you have a newer Mini, be sure to order the TPMS sensors for your tires... (these are the sensors that tell you when your tires are low on air).

as far as warranty, like Provofan stated, i've never heard of wheels or tires voiding a warranty. Most people replace tires when they get bad, that doesn't void a warranty... not sure why wheels would. Yet if your were really concerned, you could always just switch the wheels when you bring it back to the dealer. (if you have a jack, you can do it yourself pretty easily).

Old 06-25-2008, 07:16 PM
kmartin
1st Gear
Originally Posted by HerboS
Get the heated seats, ... I use them all year to relax my back.
Do these seats heat on the back ?

Old 06-25-2008, 10:11 PM
rwwilsonjr
3rd Gear
1. I have the Hi-Fi sound system and to be honest I don't think it's all that Hi-Fi. To begin with the MCS isn't really quiet enough to really appreciate Hi-Fi. So if I did it over I would probably not get it. I really like the Sirius (and the Xenon lights).

2. I went for the Fluid Silver dash instead of the Piano Blk and it really turned out nice. Very happy with that choice.

3. The leatherette seats are hot so I agree that the cloth seats would probably be more comfortable. Not real crazy about the sport seats though. Hopefully I will eventually get used to them. Kind of hurt the sides of my legs.

6. I got the 16" wheels strictly for the better ride. The 17" wheels make the car look better IMO.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:34 AM
bugman58
1st Gear
I got a 2011 S, ordered it from Oxford England, 15 days on the pond. Yes, get the sound system, I would add sport springs myself, Mini's suspensions are not low enough. I would also add Bora exhaust, sound and look great, nothing close, take off the resinator if you want it a little louder. I almost got the dark silver (eclips gray) but ended up doing an all black mini with the black web spoke wheels with silver rims 17'', the car has a ton of black on it anyway. The car is going to ride rough as long as you have the run-flat tires on it. When you replace with regular tires you will get a better ride, trust me on that! A ball to drive!! Watch for the man!!

Old 12-17-2012, 04:16 PM
greytango3
1st Gear
Originally Posted by kmartin
Do these seats heat on the back ?

Yes they do, and they work quite well! I have them in my 09 MCS and I don't always use them but it's a nice option to have.