R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Instances of choking / about to stall

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 08:46 AM
Qingdom
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instances of choking / about to stall

I've had my MINI for about 5 months now. There are certain times when I feel like driving lightly and not floor it.

During those instances, there are times while during a stop sign to make a turn or a red light about to accelerate (or turn), the engine would putt-putt-putt in a choking sensation before moving forward getting to a point where it's getting enough gas to go smoothly.

To bypass this, I would have to step on the gas a little harder (beyond the choking effect point)... but this doesn't do my fuel efficiency within city limits any justice.

I can feel the choke during stepping on the gas a little harder too. This applies to all types of roads: uphill, downhill, slippery, straight.

Don't know if there's any relation, but there was also this one time I started the car in the morning to move out the garage, turned the car on, immediately drove it off the driveway, turned to park, and while turning, the engine stalled.

Was a scary thing too because it was a good thing there was no traffic coming, else i would've been blocking the middle of the road. I had to put the car in Park to press the ignition button before the engine would start again.

Haven't encountered it again because I would let the car warm out at least 2 minutes before moving on.

I checked the engine oil and it's within margin. Although, it's at 4600mls with its break-in oil still.

No mods. Everything stock MCSa '07. Anyone have any insight?

Old 06-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Robophobia
2nd Gear
I just got my car saturday and then when I was leaving for work yesterday it started to do the same thing you desrcibed like putt - putt - putt and I thought it was going to stall as well. Did the same thing today. I only have 300 miles on mine.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:21 AM
MINImizeMe
2nd Gear
I am still learning to drive stick on mine.... so I may never notice this and would blame myself for stalling

Old 06-26-2008, 10:27 AM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MINImizeMe
I am still learning to drive stick on mine.... so I may never notice this and would blame myself for stalling

except the OP has an automatic.

Qingdom: I would guess it's related to the electronic throttle. Does it happen with the sport button on?

Old 06-26-2008, 11:09 AM
Robophobia
2nd Gear
I have a manual as well, but my instance only occured when I started the engine then after about 30 seconds it goes away.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:10 AM
r56mini
6th Gear
sport button

Old 06-26-2008, 11:54 AM
Qingdom
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mellowmcs
except the OP has an automatic.

Qingdom: I would guess it's related to the electronic throttle. Does it happen with the sport button on?

I haven't tried it with the 'sport button' on. But this putt-putt-putt issue is with the sport button off. I hardly use the 'sport button' unless I am in a really really tight bind or if I am in a real time crunch late situation.

I believe the instances when this happens are usually after coming to a stop right after using the paddle shifters. Then supposedly when the autoshift program kicks back in, that's when the putt-putt-putt takes effect.

I'll have to run some more tests to see if the paddle shifters are the culprit for this after effect.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Robophobia
2nd Gear
Sport button off on mine!