R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Is fear of getting a ticket holding you back?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 01:58 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
gokartride - I hope you don't mind, but I had a bit of fun with your name
Not to worry...it happens in OT all the time.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:09 PM
hefro
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went 15 years without a ticket. Within a year, and less than 10K miles, of buying MCS JCW, 2 speeding tickets (last fall) and another ticket for window tint. Graphic on the back of my car says Polizistmagnet! Even the cop who wrote the tint ticket says it's appropriate.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:52 PM
xqb3b
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You mentioned getting stopped going 100mph.... in most jurisdictions, that's considered reckless operation, which entitles you to arrest on the spot and all else that follows, including, if you get a hard-*** judge, some actual jail time, not to mention what it would do to your insurance rates. Come on.... be reasonable on public roads. Wait for a track day, or take an "advanced driving" course at a local track.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:01 PM
DaPooh65
2nd Gear
OK..I'm the one that started this thread and let me inform all that I don't speed. I have 9 points on my driving records for almost 2 decades. The reason I'm asking if you would get arrested going 100MPH or over is because one guy at work told me he got arrested and towed his car away (BMW Station wagon)...just wonder if he was telling the truth.

I just want to maximize the fun with my new toy when it's broken in and was asking experienced Mini owners....:

:-)

Old 06-26-2008, 05:20 PM
new22003
2nd Gear
I have been caught going over 100 and was arrested during that stop.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:27 PM
Des Graziato
2nd Gear
I tend to have a minor lead foot. My last ticket was 72 in a 60, in the wifes Prius.

The thing that will stop me speeding is the Mellow Yellow color.

It will stick out like dog nuts on a canary to the Highway patrol!!

Old 06-26-2008, 08:31 PM
Riffster
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Des Graziato
It will stick out like dog nuts on a canary to the Highway patrol!!
Ok thats funny!!

I dont have a mini yet but even in the car that i have now i hold back. I have gotten one speeding ticket and it was about a year ago was goin 65 in a 45. Eh, i was just keepin up with traffic

Old 06-26-2008, 09:06 PM
HighSchoolzMINI
6th Gear
I agree with everyone here, I had one of those kinda incidents where I was in an empty parking lot the size of an air strip and no i wasnt drunk or anything but something unexpected happened at at only 80 or so i hit a dip in the road b4 a turn and as i tried to run i only had one wheel in the front down and nrly freakin hit a pole. That was about it, and then when i wasnt even speeding and the tail of my 08 baby slid out from behind me and i almost lost control are scary enough!
Be safe ppl, and if you rly feel like you need to push it, do it on a track!!

Old 06-26-2008, 09:17 PM
ChiliXer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by xqb3b
You mentioned getting stopped going 100mph.... in most jurisdictions, that's considered reckless operation, which entitles you to arrest on the spot and all else that follows, including, if you get a hard-*** judge, some actual jail time, not to mention what it would do to your insurance rates. Come on.... be reasonable on public roads. Wait for a track day, or take an "advanced driving" course at a local track.
The major long term cost is going to be the insurance. A 200$ is fine is nothing compared to 3 years of higher insurance rates. Back when I traveled the highways more I used to memorize the cop hiding spots and one day they tricked me hiding pretty well and along with the range of the laser managed to get me. I slowed down right away and he just gave me a very expensive ticket and not wreckless ops. Generally I think wreckless ops is reserved for above 20 over in traffic and not paying attention to the cop. Seeing them and slowing down goes a long way. But a wreckless ops is probably going to get you dropped by your insurer right off the bat. Overall the safest bet is not to speed excessively.

Lets face it the US highways are just long and straight and 130 doesn't really even feel that fast until you drive by someone going slower. Go mess about in a parking lot that is empty thats the real fun in the MINI (best being autoX).

Old 06-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Chicago Cruzer
Neutral
I took my 2003 MC up to 110 mph on a country road. Felt smooth, but once I hit 110 and slowed it took 15 miles to slow my heart beat. I was amazed at how fast I got to speed. I don't think I will ever to that again, but I must say it was one hell of a ride. And if I was caught I'm sure I would have gone to jail.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Julian Pyke
2nd Gear
I don't have my mini yet... but I've been pulled over quite a few times for speeding. Only ticket I have gotten was for going 52 in a 50 (you read taht right).

I've been pulled over for 15 miles over multiple times. I have my Starbucks hat and uniform with me and was like "Sorry Officer (So and so, as I knew their name) making a run for cups for work." They wave goodbye after seeing I serve them coffee.

Sometimes, my job rules.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:30 AM
DJOHNSON143
2nd Gear
i wish it worried me, haha. I got 3 tickets once in a 4 day period hahaha not all for speeding though. I recieved a ticket doing 105 about two years ago and I want to say it was less than 300, and no I was not arrested

Old 06-27-2008, 12:56 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, I do have some concern about tickets lately. I'm waiting for my court date on one I got over 8 months ago (yeah, they're slow around here), and I feel like all eyes are on me. I do know I was tailed a couple of months ago--cop turned around to follow me, but I was at the limit. Having a red car doesn't help, either. It was 57 in a 40, and the ticket will be about $250 if I don't fight it. I have good reason to believe he wasn't clocking me accurately.

Having said that, the last two tickets I got were at least 5 and 15 years ago, respectively. Both were dropped--one for no-show cop, and one because my name was badly misspelled. In both cases the speed limit on the road was increased within a few weeks, and I wouldn't have been picked up at all.

One question, to those who know--if a cop picks me up, can he tell if there is a pending ticket? Can he tell when my last ticket was?

And yes, I've been to 100, once. I've been to 90 a couple of times, in passing on a two-lane, which is where most of my driving is. Slowed down to a respectable speed as soon as I passed the car. Average is 10 over, but that's pretty typical on the highways and freeways around here.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:59 AM
SorryI'mTheDJ
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by eR1c
For me it's all about acceleration and corning. Any car can go 100, and even those that can go over 170 ...what's the point? it's just asking for trouble.

Originally Posted by new22003

There are many who say, “I will never hurt anyone else” or “I only do it on abandoned roads”, etc and then they wind up like this.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=124526#2

You can never predict when there is sand or gravel on the road. What if a tire is shredded? A blowout at 90 on a public road can have catastrophic consequences for you and others. It even costs taxpayers if you take out a road sign or guardrail not to mention the police time that is wasted. Join a local AutoX club and stay safe.
+1...

There were many tragedies during my last year of high school. One of them happened to be a really bad accident that took one life, put another in the ICU for a couple weeks, and left two others scarred for life. The saddest part is that, he was the guy everyone in our class knew. Football star, over all friendly, joked around, was helpful when he was asked to be. Thankfully the girl in ICU pulled through and made it to graduation

That and a run in with the CHP really has made me rethink everything and appreciate my Mini more. I'm way young, but I'm putting this in my personal book. I learned from it, i don't NEED to go 90+. In all honesty I don't need to go 80+. I'll stick to my canyon's and other twistys. Hopefully I'll get out of my rut and be able to join a club and go to my first track

All while being safe of course

on a side note...is it weird that my being pulled over has made me consider a career in law enforcement

Old 06-27-2008, 03:27 PM
sk8erguyzach
4th Gear
never been arrested 4 speeding but iv never been caught either radar detectors work rather well and have saved me from goin 2 jail a few times 135mph in a 60mph on a back road and all of a sudden my radar goes nuts made it to 70mph b4 the cop saw me and flashed his lights but didnt stop me got lucky

Old 06-27-2008, 04:44 PM
reyd1
4th Gear
Yep... fear of getting a ticket is holding me back... And my friends are telling me that certain counties in FL are charging a gas surcharge for having to chase you for speeding tickets only....

The police here in Winter Garden are very strict to speeders.... Don't want to see my insurance rates go higher either...

Old 06-27-2008, 04:52 PM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 313 Likes on 236 Posts
IMHO - the most fun one can have in a Mini (properly attired) is at an autocross...

where are you - I bet I can hook you up with some folks within striking distance...

why you say? what a bother you say?

simple: you can drive 11 10ths, slide the car around, get acquainted with it in all kinds of odd situations, and never hit anything bigger than a cone...

i race. therefore the pressure to explore the car on the street is relieved, and so i don't. the mini is so good, and the limits on the car are so high, that there is no interesting street that would not constitute a terrible risk at anything near the car's potential.

why scr*w around at 7 10ths and kid yourself - find an autocross and jump into the deep end...

(end of rant)

Old 06-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Apple
6th Gear
naw... ordered my MC for a daily driver not speed ordered a audi r8 for sunday

Old 06-27-2008, 05:49 PM
billie_morini
5th Gear
Q: Is fear of getting a ticket holding you back?
A: No.