R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Anyone gotten $1K off MSRP lately?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 08:16 AM
BostonR56S
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rockridge
I thought I was lucky to get my car for sticker price. I remember asking about price negotiation, and my MA told me there was none.
did you get yours in herb chambers boston? or peabody?
i guess i'm hearing many +'s about peabody over boston's -'s
....im about to pick mine up from boston in a few days hopefully...
ive only had a so so experiencve with them, nothing to write home about. no deals, no floor mats, no nothing.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:50 AM
Pretzel Logic
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BostonR56S
did you get yours in herb chambers boston? or peabody?
i guess i'm hearing many +'s about peabody over boston's -'s
....im about to pick mine up from boston in a few days hopefully...
ive only had a so so experiencve with them, nothing to write home about. no deals, no floor mats, no nothing.
I got mine at Peabody. Had a much better reputation than HC. Still, at Peabody no discounts, no floor mats, and relatively tough sell on clearbra, and other protection packages, extended free service, etc...

Peabody is much more accessible to me for service, but they do not have loaners, which HC does... so that is a plus for you.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:52 AM
AvidMINI
Seeing CHILI RED!
I'm paying MSRP for my MINI. All of the dealers in the NorCal area are adding dealer markups, but my MA waived it. I consider myself lucky. I know, a fool and his money are soon parted, but what can I say? I'm in love!

Old 07-15-2008, 12:19 PM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
I posted a few weeks ago how I saw in the San Francisco Bay Area dealership in San Francisco, MINI of SF, handwritten labels with $1500 additional dealer markup [average.]

You guys reporting $1500 to $2000 off MSRP, are you serious? I don't believe that. You had to have been worked on other aspects of the deal [see below.]

The only way one could get those prices is if the dealer worked you on something else, so that on paper it looked like you were getting a deal. E.g., they play around on your trade-in, give you a lousy interest rate on financing, and/or sell you a bunch of after-market items [extended warranty, credit insurance, rust proofing, and other worthless over-priced services / add-ons.]

The car dealers know that many people focus on how much they can get "off sticker" or what they want their payments to be. The salesperson says "So if I can get the car down to this price or your payments to be this _____, will you buy the car?"

The other way to get worked is for the dealer to toss in a few "freebies" that cost the dealer nothing in terms of what you think you are getting. E.g., floor mats, that must cost the dealer about $20 to $30, if that.

When a car is in high demand and flying off the shelf, there's no reason whatsoever for a dealer / salesman to discount the sale. A hot "must have" product like the MINI rarely happens for a car dealer and the salesmen. When sales are hot, no way a salesman is going to pass up the opportunity to make as much money off the sale as he or she can.

IMHO, if you are driving off the car lot at MSRP, without having bought a bunch of worthless over-priced items / add-ons, and got a great deal on financing [e.g., had your own from a bank or credit union] then you got a great deal.

To get an accurate indicator of what someone actually paid for his or her MINI, in total, members should be disclosing full details of the transaction, not just what the dealer took off the sticker. Duly note that no one in a public forum should be posting that kind of information, nor would most people fess up as to what really happened [no one wants to admit they got taken or got a lousy to average deal.]

Bottom Line: A dealer can make $2000 to $4000 EXTRA on a deal by selling an extended warranty, high interest financing [10% to 14%] and other "trinkets." A discount off the MSRP does not mean squat, especially after a visit to the dealer's F & I person ["finance and insurance" salesperson, whose job it is to sell you stuff other than the car. These are commissioned sales people who annually make $100k to $200k depending on their skills.]

Just sayin, sorry to be so negative.

But I have represented or sued car industry types ["ramp / service" advisors, who are typically commissioned salespeople, general managers, car dealerships, and F & I people]. So I have some knowledge of how things generally work at car dealerships.

Don't get caught up on MSRP. You have to do your homework and be on your guard when buying something as expensive as a MINI.

Last edited by MichaelSF; 07-15-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:40 PM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
Originally Posted by wj94
I know some people indicated they were able to get $1k off MSRP a few months ago - how about now with gas prices jumping up? I was offered $500 off MSRP by a local dealer with no added fees and haven't been able to top that yet. How has everyone else's negotiations gone?
If you can get that deal WITHOUT buying a lot of extra stuff [see my post] I would jump on it.

Be careful. Lots of times they will give you a quote, but when you go in to do the deal they will try to sell you financing, extended warranty, etc.

The best way to secure the deal is to get an agreement or "offer" in writing on what they will sell the car for, then simply fight off the F & I salesperson's attempt to sell you $3000 to $4000 in add-ons to the sales price.

Preferably, you will go into the dealer with your bank having pre-approved the financing so that all you have to work on is the sale's price of the MINI.

Bonus Tip: Often, if the salesman sees that you won't be buying the services and financing they offer, they won't do the deal at the price quoted on the phone or in an e-mail. So it's often best to get the deal in writing, then disclose you will do your own financing and don't want all the junk they try to sell.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Politically charged posts deleted and infractions/warnings issued.

NAM is not a place for political discussion. Take it somewhere else.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:56 PM
FlyingZ06
3rd Gear
Well, i'd still buy before the next elections. You'll save money now

Old 07-15-2008, 02:17 PM
AvidMINI
Seeing CHILI RED!
MichaelSF, thanks for your input. I appreciate your no-nonsense approach. I emailed my MA and simply said that I would purchase the car at MSRP if they would waive the ($1,500) dealer "market adjustment." He said c'mon down and let's get this thing ordered!

I checked on Edmunds.com and their True Market Value "TMV" said people in my region (and yours, I suppose) are paying MSRP, so I don't really feel like I'm being taken advantage of. Besides, it's a subjective thing; if I see the worth in it, I'll pay it. Simple as that! I just hope my deal goes through without any problems. I'm pre-approved by my credit union, but I may want to hear if they've got any financing specials available, especially when the time comes to take delivery. I have to put $1,000 down on the car to order it, which I imagine will be applied towards the overall price of the car. I'm also going to pay for the sales tax and registration fees, just to help keep my monthly payments low.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:21 PM
bk13
2nd Gear
depends

Old 07-15-2008, 02:46 PM
SkinnyMINI
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cb333
I've talked to bmw sf, and bmw mountain view, they both want 2-2.5K markup which is a bunch of bull.

I'm still waiting for a reply from east bay mini and see if it's the same case. Is this same case for south cal mini dealers? I don't mind ordering from outside my area, I just hate to pay over sticker.
go to mini of concord..no markups there. i went to east bay mini. they dont have markups either..but their customer service isnt as good as concord. concord is less busy than the east bay MINI in pleasonton. i went to all 4 dealerships and ended up buying from concord.

i didnt get anything off the MSRP but got my carmats thrown in for free.

talk to jason there, he's awesome

Old 07-15-2008, 02:48 PM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
Originally Posted by AvidMINI
MichaelSF, thanks for your input. I appreciate your no-nonsense approach. I emailed my MA and simply said that I would purchase the car at MSRP if they would waive the ($1,500) dealer "market adjustment." He said c'mon down and let's get this thing ordered!

I checked on Edmunds.com and their True Market Value "TMV" said people in my region (and yours, I suppose) are paying MSRP, so I don't really feel like I'm being taken advantage of. Besides, it's a subjective thing; if I see the worth in it, I'll pay it. Simple as that! I just hope my deal goes through without any problems. I'm pre-approved by my credit union, but I may want to hear if they've got any financing specials available, especially when the time comes to take delivery. I have to put $1,000 down on the car to order it, which I imagine will be applied toward the overall price of the car. I'm also going to pay for the sales tax and registration fees, just to help keep my monthly payments low.
Sounds solid and binding if you put a down payment. I did say in another thread that the "additional dealer markup" is a sales tool and dealers typically take it off the price to make it look like people got a deal. But some people pay it.

Personally, if there is nowhere else to shop, I would tell the dealer I am not paying the ADM, but let's do the deal at sticker. If the dealer refuses, I am taking my business elsewhere. But what I am referring to here is the MINI, that is selling for sticker or close to. Obviously other cars, that are soft on sales, can be negotiated to way lower than MSRP. Heck on the gas guzzlers the dealers are taking up to $5K off the sticker just to get people to come in. No one wants a gas hog nowadays. The dealers can't give those SUVs and trucks away, so to speak.

Good you are putting a good down so your payments are lower. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by MichaelSF; 07-15-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:51 PM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
Politically charged posts deleted and infractions/warnings issued.

NAM is not a place for political discussion. Take it somewhere else.
That's right. In my experience, politics or religion in forums will usually cause flame wars, fist fights and all kinds of nastiness. Usually start as a snow ball rolling downhill to where the gloves come off.

Mods have to bring out the bug repellent early on.

When I was visiting relatives they all tried to talk politics and I left the room. No need for fights there, either.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:31 PM
AvidMINI
Seeing CHILI RED!
Originally Posted by SkinnyMINI
go to mini of concord..no markups there.
That's weird. When I called them the other day, the MA said they were charging a $995 dealer markup on top of MSRP!

Old 07-15-2008, 03:33 PM
nouse4aname
2nd Gear
Take delivery of something in dealer stock on Dec 31st and I'm sure you could get a decent deal

Old 07-15-2008, 05:08 PM
DanF
5th Gear
I bought mine at MOP a year ago and really got lucky. I got a free hat!

Old 07-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Bezlar
3rd Gear
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm in Kansas City. No hidden mark ups beings I am writing a check for it, with no trade in. Total discount is 1295 but they are charging me 295 doc fee. It shipped on the 5th should be here next week. Total order to my dealer time less than 30 days. I was surprised it got done this quik. My friend got his last week. It seems that my JCW ground kit is going to take longer to get here than my car. I ordered it the same time as the car. Funny how things work.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:46 PM
bantsai
2nd Gear
$2150 off msrp

Old 02-24-2009, 05:35 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bantsai
$2150 off msrp
Wow, really? What model and trim? Thanks. Oh and where? What part of the country are you from?

Old 02-24-2009, 05:55 PM
IzzyG
6th Gear
International Autos in Milwaukee, WI offered a Clubman S(Dark Silver) for $1500 off MSRP(MSRP at $2699 or something to that effect). This was about a month ago though. The Clubman S is still in their lot so they might renegotiate more now.

I believe at the end of last year, they emailed me with offers around $1500 off MSRP as well.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:19 PM
bantsai
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
Wow, really? What model and trim? Thanks. Oh and where? What part of the country are you from?
cooper s hardtop--4 my wife--drk silver--blk top & mirror---blk leather--piano black--hi fi----++++ ca

Old 02-24-2009, 08:30 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
cooper s hardtop--4 my wife--drk silver--blk top & mirror---blk leather--piano black--hi fi----++++ ca
Did you say California? If yes, may I ask what dealership, as we are looking for my wife also

Old 02-25-2009, 08:18 AM
bantsai
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
Did you say California? If yes, may I ask what dealership, as we are looking for my wife also
pm me--i am in the bay area

Old 02-25-2009, 08:21 AM
dgcooks
3rd Gear
my local dealer simply said,"no".

Old 02-25-2009, 08:32 AM
bantsai
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dgcooks
my local dealer simply said,"no".
sometimes the approach is important if you want the deal--this works both ways--from a seller and a buyer

Old 02-25-2009, 08:35 AM
dgcooks
3rd Gear
sometimes the approach is important if you want the deal--this works both ways--from a seller and a buyer
well, i should elaborate, no on any custom ordered MINI. maybe on that sidewalk that's been on the lot for a year.

Quick Reply: R56 Anyone gotten $1K off MSRP lately?