R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Anyone gotten $1K off MSRP lately?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:04 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by owl_loves_mini
the dealer quoted me his invoice is 6.1% below MSRP.

besides just straight BS, could this be true?
the edmunds pricing reports do include destination charges ($650)

the only bad thing with the edmunds pricing reports, is that they are still listing the TMV (true market value), which is what others around your area are paying, as msrp still.

At least for LA, im pretty sure that is no longer true. (the TMV pricing was based off my zip code btw)
Thanks for the clarification Well an easy way to see if he is BS-ing you is, have him show you the invoice. Actually 6.1 % off a $30k car is $1830. I think I would take that

Old 03-11-2009, 08:45 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
Thats not completely true. Dealers get "holdbacks and bonuses" from the manufactures when they sell a car. Most dealers can make money even selling a car at invoice.
As has been stated here many, many times, there is no holdback on MINI's (or BMW's). Sales probably do affect a dealer's future allotments so volume is always a good thing for them, and BMW does offer dealers some "bonus" money for meeting certain sales objectives, but it's much deeper than a per car dollar amount. No certainty that MINI dealers get the same perks. Please keep in mind that the MINI brand has been able to uphold with MSRP pricing pretty such since they went on sale here and there would have been no real reason to give dealers bonuses. It's a brave new world right now and anything's possible.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:58 AM
flnsx
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So many people talk about how much they received off of MSRP but they never mention what dealer fee they paid (if any).

Dealer fee's are pure profit. You need to subtract that from the discount you received off MSRP.

Also, when you lease they LOVE to pad the Bank Fee and ADD other "acquisition fee's" to make up the difference.

It pays to be thorough!

I wonder what the actual "Bank Fee" BMW/Mini financial charges withouth any dealer padding on a lease.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:07 AM
sequence
6th Gear
when some troll (yes NAM has them) claims they rec $1-2K off msrp a car they *ordered*, well, I simply dont believe them. lot stock, ordered rejects, or blinged-out $40K+ JCWs maybe, but ordered? No way. No dealer is THAT stupid nor THAT desperate..

and when I call out them out to .pdf and post their bill of sale to PROVE this, well, they sure disappear fast... (one can do this w/o revealing pers info.)

Trolls everywhere here lately, "oh BTW I got $2000 of msrp for a MINI I ordered." Yeah, and I have a bridge in AZ I'll sell ya so's you can hide under it...

Old 03-11-2009, 10:14 AM
flnsx
1st Gear
I don't dought they received a 2k discount off MSRP BUT most of the time the dealer made up most of that with shady dealings. (added fee's, raised Money Factors et)

Old 03-11-2009, 10:21 AM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
Actually, discounts for ORDERED cars are very real here on the East Coast.........in some areas but not others. I have personally been offered $1000 from one dealer and $800 off plus accessories for a my-spec JCW Clubman.

As time goes on, some dealers are truly offering more (hence MINIUSA's low interest rates) while I have spoken with others who refuse to budge from MSRP.

But, when it comes down to it you have to consider dealer fees (processing/documentation), any other BS fees, drive to get there, discount on car itself, freebie accessories that are negotiated in the deal, etc.

I can believe $2000 off an ordered car............however this would definitely depend on location and "local economy".....sales in your area.

Last edited by minicoopermike; 03-11-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:16 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Originally Posted by flnsx
I wonder what the actual "Bank Fee" BMW/Mini financial charges withouth any dealer padding on a lease.
Acquisition fee on BMWFS leases is based at $625 and dealers are allowed to add up to $200.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:31 AM
flnsx
1st Gear
Ft lauderdale Mini charges $925.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:37 AM
snb3
2nd Gear
$500 off of an ordered car, a rather basic Justaclubman w/few options. Thats with Socal dealer bidding w/themselves. Maybe I could've got a little more off but I'm comfortable paying what, $10 more per month that I could save by the low APR. It was a choice between a greater discount off of a lot car or ordering one exactly the way I wanted. I chose the latter.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:08 PM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Originally Posted by flnsx
Ft lauderdale Mini charges $925.
Unless MINI allows a dealership more markup than on BMW's (which I kind of doubt), either your dealer is quoting you another leasing source rather than BMWFS, or they're breaking a rule that BMWFS is pretty strict about. If it is BMWFS, I'd call them on it.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:29 PM
asaulo1
5th Gear
i've been spec'ing out a lightly equipped clubman S with auto tranny and have gotten quotes from diff. dealers here in So. Cal. with $1k off sticker..... this was unheard of from a few months ago.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:00 PM
invictus
1st Gear
The London Bridge?

Originally Posted by sequence
when some troll (yes NAM has them) claims they rec $1-2K off msrp a car they *ordered*, well, I simply dont believe them. lot stock, ordered rejects, or blinged-out $40K+ JCWs maybe, but ordered? No way. No dealer is THAT stupid nor THAT desperate..

and when I call out them out to .pdf and post their bill of sale to PROVE this, well, they sure disappear fast... (one can do this w/o revealing pers info.)

Trolls everywhere here lately, "oh BTW I got $2000 of msrp for a MINI I ordered." Yeah, and I have a bridge in AZ I'll sell ya so's you can hide under it...

Old 03-12-2009, 05:24 PM
bing330i
Neutral
Originally Posted by minicoopermike
Actually, discounts for ORDERED cars are very real here on the East Coast.........in some areas but not others. I have personally been offered $1000 from one dealer and $800 off plus accessories for a my-spec JCW Clubman.

As time goes on, some dealers are truly offering more (hence MINIUSA's low interest rates) while I have spoken with others who refuse to budge from MSRP.

But, when it comes down to it you have to consider dealer fees (processing/documentation), any other BS fees, drive to get there, discount on car itself, freebie accessories that are negotiated in the deal, etc.

I can believe $2000 off an ordered car............however this would definitely depend on location and "local economy".....sales in your area.
Mike or anyone, any dealers / salespersons in metro DC areas that you can recommend? Thanks.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:48 PM
sarafil
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mtbscott
Acquisition fee on BMWFS leases is based at $625 and dealers are allowed to add up to $200.
base fee went up to 725 and can now be marked up to 925, for BMW and MINI

Old 03-12-2009, 05:54 PM
FlyingZ06
3rd Gear
buyers market dude.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Kimbo80
4th Gear
If the dealer has the car on the lot, they are more willing to discount. Case in point, I bought my Clubman at 1500 off MSRP (Build Date 11/08, purchased 02/09).

However, if you order the car, the dealer is less willing to negotiate off the MSRP price (the most I have seen is 500 off). I highly recommend shopping amongst different dealers and have them compete against each other to get your business.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:01 PM
chili_red
1st Gear
Hey all, just got my new Mini on 03/07/09, build date 12/08, and the dealer took 1k off MSRP, I was also able to get them to include the center armrest which the vehicle didn't have. Had to stand pretty firm on what I was going to accept toward my trade in and they finally agreed.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:14 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Picked my spec ordered Clubman S up mid Feb, $1350 off - believe it or don't, doesn't matter to me.....

Dealer had over 100 cars on the ground but I couldn't find what I wanted, so he re-specced a car already in his allocation to my specs, ordered Jan 9, delivered Feb 21 exactly as ordered.

Dealer doc fee is $297, charged to all cars sold. In Kansas by law, if the dealer charges one customer a Doc fee, they have to charge them all or refund all the ones you already charged, but the fee is set by the dealer - nobody escapes it. However, $925 doc fee at the dealer in Fla. is absurd.........

Old 03-14-2009, 03:27 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Originally Posted by chili_red
Hey all, just got my new Mini on 03/07/09, build date 12/08, and the dealer took 1k off MSRP, I was also able to get them to include the center armrest which the vehicle didn't have. Had to stand pretty firm on what I was going to accept toward my trade in and they finally agreed.
Sweet My wife is looking at Chili Red also

Old 03-14-2009, 08:34 PM
owl_loves_mini
1st Gear
Does anyone know if there are doc fees for socal. if so, what are they and is there any way to get around this charge.

Originally Posted by MINIdave
Picked my spec ordered Clubman S up mid Feb, $1350 off - believe it or don't, doesn't matter to me.....

Dealer had over 100 cars on the ground but I couldn't find what I wanted, so he re-specced a car already in his allocation to my specs, ordered Jan 9, delivered Feb 21 exactly as ordered.

Dealer doc fee is $297, charged to all cars sold. In Kansas by law, if the dealer charges one customer a Doc fee, they have to charge them all or refund all the ones you already charged, but the fee is set by the dealer - nobody escapes it. However, $925 doc fee at the dealer in Fla. is absurd.........

Old 03-14-2009, 09:10 PM
chili_red
1st Gear
The dealer only charged us a $100 document fee , then added a $10 Filing Fee, $26.50 Title Fee, $44 License Fee, $22 Temporary License Fee, $18.00 Vehicle Inspecton Fee, and a $23 Notary Fee. Total $243.50, at least they broke it down .

Old 03-14-2009, 09:33 PM
owl_loves_mini
1st Gear
im going in next week to try to buy a car. no more looking around. so besides the agreed price of the car, tax, dmv fees (title/license), what other costs go into the final monthly payment.

im bringing a computer there with our own car loan calculator so we know if the dealership adding in random charges.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:38 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Any and all "random charges" have to be disclosed on the sales contract, just read it before you sign it and anything you don't understand have them explain it in clear English. It's not rocket science here, just common sense. If their explanation doesn't make sense, have them explain it again till it does, or leave.

But I wouldn't worry about any of that. Find the car you want, negotiate the best price you can, buy it, drive it home and start enjoying your car - after all that's what you're buying, a car. You're not buying a deal......

As to the payments, if you want to double check them using a mortgage payment calculator, fine, but you may get a different payment than they do, loans are calculated in many ways - if it's close, again don't worry about the pennies............just try and enjoy the car.

If you make this an adversarial relationship then you'll hate it, if you have the attitude that you're going to work together to get you a car, it'll be a whole lot more fun and you'll enjoy your car more too. Plus too and also, you'll have a good relationship with your dealer in the future.....

Old 03-15-2009, 07:54 AM
owl_loves_mini
1st Gear
minidave,

although i agree with everything you said, ive asked the board a question about all cost that go into the final payment. what are dealer added fees and what are govt/dmv fees that need to be paid. since you recently got such a great deal, why dont you enlighten some of us looking to buy soon including myself.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:08 AM
diablito
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im going in next week to try to buy a car.

im bringing a computer there with our own car loan calculator so we know if the dealership adding in random charges.
hehehe...I had a client one time who had a device for calculations, took forever to do the deal, but it was fair and it was the first time I actually read the back of the contract, before he signed, just to keep him company.

Quick Reply: R56 Anyone gotten $1K off MSRP lately?