R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Dealer add-on's - Extended Maintenance/Warranty, InvisiShield, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 08:44 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GRITCH
richs10;
I agree with you regarding covering the headlights but getting everything done correctly will cost upwards of $800+ And yes, a professional install is a must in most cases but some of us are brave enough to attempt it. Of course the install will be professional if someone makes a recommendation.

The dealer has an employee that installs the InvisiShield, decals, stripes etc. I've seen the work and it looks good. The MA said they do not go over the stripes by rather cut around them unless the customer wants otherwise.

The bonnet stripes were ordered with the MC as a $100 option (VDC install?) as opposed to having them installed by the dealer for $300.

Q: When you watching the two guys do the FrontGuard installation were the pieces precut or did they make the cutout from a sheet of the material?

Q: Does anyone have an idea what the precut InvisiShield material costs for the MINI?
Wow, I'm not sure about the idea of cutting the bra around the stripes. That is a lot of work and gives you a lot more seams to worry about. In all the reading I have done on this I have never heard this alternative. The debate is always under or over. I would seriously get a second opinion about that. The main reason I say this is I do not want anyone near my car with an exacto knife trying to cut in the bra. In the threads you will find a real installation horror story about a local DC area installer that made cuts into the paint of a new Cooper trying to custom fit the bra. Makes me shiver a bit!

As I understand it, FrontGuard has the special cutter machine he uses for the template for each type of vehicle it installs a bra on. The pieces were all on a couple of sheets of 3M material that had obviously been precision cut. And there were a lot of different pieces. Each body part has its own custom cut piece. Even the tow hook cover.

During the install, he knew exactly what to do, and knew how to use a heat gun to make sure the undersides of the bumper pieces were secure to the car. Very impressive to watch.

Re: the stripes. I understand what you are saying. The VDC sport stripes I got cost $180.00 total, for the front and back of my Clubman. They were a good deal, but if I had my druthers, I kinda wish they were on top of the bra. Nothing I can do about it now, and the FrontGuard guy told me not to worry. He said he has done many cars either way and does not see problems down the road.

Sorry, but I don't have any info on the cost of the materials. But something else he told me was that he has seen kits sold over the internet that are boxed with 3M documentation, but are not made from 3M brand materials. That's pretty scary. Plus if you buy the material separately and then pay someone to install it, and there is a problem down the road, I can see the manufacturer blaming the installer and the installer blaming the material. I would rather have one source to go back to who is responsible for everything. But that's just me.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:54 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Q: Does anyone have an idea what the precut InvisiShield material costs for the MINI?
GRITCH this should give you an idea of the material costs and they are precut:

http://www.invisiblemask.com/cgi-bin...model=COOPER+S

Old 07-21-2008, 09:44 PM
minim8o
4th Gear
...After comparing the cost of the same products with other dealers, this dealer is well above average in retail pricing....
So then what would you say if a MINI Dealer quoted over $1100 for a clear-bra? Yes, you'd say exactly what I said probably!

Old 07-22-2008, 10:56 AM
GRITCH
Neutral
Originally Posted by minim8o
So then what would you say if a MINI Dealer quoted over $1100 for a clear-bra? Yes, you'd say exactly what I said probably!

It's not a question of what I would say but indeed a question of what actions I would take. Simply put...Thank the Dealer for their time and walk away...

Old 07-22-2008, 01:13 PM
hunsingeruk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Including Discount Tire who does it for free.

Yep, about $200 is the most you need to pay for a runflat if you wreck it.

but do they sell just one? are run flats different that way? I'm used to having to replace at least a pair if I remember correctly

Old 07-22-2008, 01:28 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hunsingeruk
but do they sell just one? are run flats different that way? I'm used to having to replace at least a pair if I remember correctly
You don't always have to. It depends on how much wear you have. I just replaced a punctured rear tire on my M3. At $335 for a Yoko Advan Sport 275/30/19 I was not about to replace a pair if I didn't have to, but the other tire has no more than about 8000 miles on it.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:54 PM
greystone
3rd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by hunsingeruk
Not Mini specific knowledge here, but IMO a 2wd car with open diffs shouldn't have trouble with the difference in diameter between a somewhat worn and new tire. I've owned a lot of awd cars and yeah, damage one, replace all four.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:41 AM
toogs
1st Gear
Hi, just bought my S with 16 inch run-flats. Finance manager seemed really puzzled when I didn't want the tire warranty. Anyway, some posts on this forum seem to indicate discount tire will sell a warranty on my tires but I can't find anything about that on their site.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:36 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by toogs
Anyway, some posts on this forum seem to indicate discount tire will sell a warranty on my tires but I can't find anything about that on their site.
Well it's because they dont advertise this. So just motor over to yr local DT and purchase the warranties, it was about $22/tire when I did mine and well worth it.

But U HAVE to do it in the first 200 miles or so.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:10 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 150 Posts
-> GAP Insurance - $599.00
Get that from your credit union or bank. I paid $150 for GAP on my mini, financed through my credit union. However, if you are using MINI's own financing, this may not be an option... but you might be able to buy it from your insurance company. Call your agent and ask -- explain that you're looking for a better deal than MINI is offering.

(GAP insurance covers the difference between insurance payout and your outstanding loan balance if you total your mini. This is a big deal in the first year or two of your loan period when you may owe more than insurance payout... not so much after that)

Old 08-22-2009, 09:12 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 150 Posts
Hi, just bought my S with 16 inch run-flats. Finance manager seemed really puzzled when I didn't want the tire warranty.
MINi of Peabody has a seriously dented stock wheel they keep in the customer lounge. I suspect the sales guys use it to help sell that "wheel and tire insurance"

(Whoever dented that wheel must have really smashed something hard at speed. It's the most screwed-up wheel I've ever seen! )

Old 08-22-2009, 09:21 AM
toogs
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
Well it's because they dont advertise this. So just motor over to yr local DT and purchase the warranties, it was about $22/tire when I did mine and well worth it.

But U HAVE to do it in the first 200 miles or so.
I don't have a local one (DC area)

Also, re: gap insurance, Erie wants 40 bucks a year to provide it. LOL @ the dealer's quote

Old 08-23-2009, 07:11 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't have a local one (DC area)
Are there any in VA or MD? That sucks, because DT has to see the tires and read the odometer before they sell the warranties.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:01 AM
toogs
1st Gear
Nope. NC is the closest. Anyone know of other companies that do the same thing?