R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Dealer add-on's - Extended Maintenance/Warranty, InvisiShield, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 01:58 PM
GRITCH
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer add-on's - Extended Maintenance/Warranty, InvisiShield, etc...

Hello All:

My brother will be taking delivery of an MC in about a month. He paid MSRP and didn't even receive a set of floor matts. The MA gave him this quote for the dealer installed add-on's.

What is your opinion/advice?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

-> Extended Maintenance 6 Yrs/100,000 miles - $1,795.00
-> Polyshield Paint Protection - $695.00.
-> 3M InvisiShield - $695.00 (5 year warranty) Front nose of Mini
-> 5 year Tire and wheel insurance - $749.
-> CNA Extended Warranty - $2500.
-> Lo Jack - $695.00
-> GAP Insurance - $599.00

Old 07-16-2008, 02:10 PM
mslatter
4th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Don't pay for the paint protection. It's just the same type of sealant or synthetic wax you can buy and apply yourself for $15 a can (that'll give you maybe 4 applications.) It lasts about 3 months, and you're supposed to bring your car to the dealer to have it re-applied. They very much count on you not doing that.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:20 PM
MeloR56
3rd Gear
Wow... dealer is on a role

-> Extended Maintenance 6 Yrs/100,000 miles - $1,795.00 We have GEICO and Mechanical Breakdown Insurance $250 deductible is $23.50 7 year 100K mile per 6 mos and is equal to any dealer provided mechanical extended insurance

-> Polyshield Paint Protection - $695.00. Junk... do your own routine cleaning/waxing (what ever weapon of choice... Zaino, Zymol, Rejex, Mothers, etc etc...the so called 'paint protection' stuff is strictly a insurance policy based on a probablility of a claim for paint fade etc... snake oil

-> 3M InvisiShield - $695.00 (5 year warranty) Front nose of Mini If only the "front nose" then to much $ plus just go to an excellent local installer if there is one and get what you want.. nose, side mirrors, wheel well arches, head lights, etc. But yes I am a very strong believer in clear bra systems just beware of poor installers and dealer high costs (remember they just have some one local do then tack their P&OH costs and pass on to you

-> 5 year Tire and wheel insurance - $749. Total nonsense... just betting the odds in case you damage a tire (which has a manufacture warranty...not hazard but you can get that elsewhere) or alloy damage... this one is pure profit

-> CNA Extended Warranty - $2500. No idea what this is

-> Lo Jack - $695.00 About average from a dealer... can get less by going to a Lo Jack dealer

-> GAP Insurance - $599.00 Very high... assuming you are borrowing to purchase car, many times lenders will provide gratis or for a nominal charge

Basically, unless you (meaning your brother) have to roll these types of expenses into the loan amount (meaning getting loan thru dealer) just does not make sense and is a money gravey train for the dealer
Michael

Old 07-16-2008, 02:22 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GRITCH

-> Lo Jack - $695.00
-the ex M 6/100 I think one can buy down the road if they decide to keep the car

-PPP? no.

-3m invisishield: up to you. the bottom clip gets a lot of damage. at least here it's warrantied by the dealer so if it mucks up they have to replace it, like on my r53

-tire and wheel ins? gmab DT will sell warranties on new runflats for about $24-28.

-I have no clue what cna is but it sounds bad.

--LJ? only if you live in a high crime area.

-Gap insurance for a MINI? you really have to be a joke with finances to ever be upside-down on one of these cars, they are holding their value so well.

And dont be such a Gritch. there's no dishonor paying msrp for a MINI. Be there, done that, never a regret. welcome to NAM!

Old 07-16-2008, 02:25 PM
FlyingZ06
3rd Gear
Tell the dealer to kiss your a$$. WOW!

Old 07-16-2008, 02:52 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
-> Lo Jack - $695.00
Total up everything listed there and it is $7728 plus the MC MSRP!!
Then if your brother finances the MC add in the additional interest charges on top of all of that.WOW

I can see why GAP insurance is listed because that covers the value of the car,remaining interest charges plus all of the dealer add-ons should the MC get totaled.

GRITCH tell your brother to shop around if there are other MINI dealerships in the area because that is mostly all dealer profit on that list.Honestly the extended warranties can be bought down the road before the factory warranty expires plus they can be bought a lot cheaper.The clear bra is a very good investment to protect the front end but an independent shop can do it for less and offer a lifetime warranty on it.Same with LoJack just have it installed by a LoJack dealer.Besides most dealerships use outside shops to do the installations because they don't do it themselves.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:10 AM
GRITCH
Neutral
Thank you everyone for the excellent information! Can anyone recommend an InvisiShield (or simular product) installer in Massachusetts.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:27 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
If I had it to do over again I'd shop around for a clear bra-like product for the nose. I have a number of annoying little paint dings after 15 month. The rest of the stuff is a bad deal for you, good deal for the dealer. If the guy sells you all of it you'll find him after work at Best Buy getting a HDTV and Rock Band on his way home with his commision. Read the wheel/tire policy, mine had a $2200 limit, 3 tire limit, stuff like that (to prevent you from nailing your whole set after 25k miles and driving to the dealer I guess).

Old 07-17-2008, 09:34 AM
richs10
5th Gear
About the GAP INSURANCE:

Never buy the GAP Insurance from your dealer. It is way more expensive than you can find either at your own bank, or more reasonably, with your Auto Insurance Carrier.

- My bank, PenFed, offer GAP coverage for $200.00 on any car loan. On my loan, the Payment Saver Option, it was included at no charge.

- I also have the same coverage on my auto policy. My current company includes it in an upgrade package which covers the deductible for glass damage. My prior auto insurer, State Farm, offered it as a separate coverage for a few bucks each 6 mo. renewal period. That was great since you could add or drop it from your policy as needed.

Again: NEVER BUY GAP FROM YOUR DEALER.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:38 AM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
I got the 6/100,000 extended maintenance for $1399. I still got ripped but I drive 25,000 miles a year so the 3/36,000 does nothing for me. Good luck!

Old 07-17-2008, 09:38 AM
gaston
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some people feel better with lots of insurance on their purchases, some don't care. Circuit City will try to sell you an extended warranty on a $15 toaster :-)

I'd rather have all that money on my pocket. Then if one of these occurs, I'll get it fixed and have $ left over.

If you plan on keeping the MINI after the factory warranty runs out (I don't), then this may be useful, but I think you can purchase this at a later date.
No. Wax the car a couple times a year.
I don't expect my car to look perfect forever. Chips happen.
Why do you need this?
What is this?
-> Lo Jack - $695.00
I don't think MINI's are popular cars with thieves, so why do you need this?
I paid cash for my MINI.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:28 PM
GRITCH
Neutral
Taking all of your advice into account (THANK YOU! ) here is the status provided to the dealer.

REJECTED -> Polyshield Paint Protection - $695.00.
REJECTED -> 5 year Tire and wheel insurance - $749.
REJECTED -> CNA Extended Warranty - $2500.
REJECTED -> Lo Jack - $695.00
REJECTED -> GAP Insurance - $599.00

Any recommendations for the following are appreciated

Seeking alternative dealer/provider -> Extended Maintenance 6 Yrs/100,000 miles - $1,795.00

Seeking alternative products/installer -> 3M InvisiShield - $695.00 (5 year warranty) Front nose of Mini

Old 07-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Noegel
5th Gear
Sweet... I didn't know these came with extended warranties.

This 6 year/100,000 mile warranty... what does it cover? Does it cover the same things the initial warranty does? Sounds like a good price considering the cost of labour and the parts of these cars.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:01 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Gritch, I am curious as to how much of the front of the MINI would be covered with the quote you have gotten for the Invisibra.

In the DC area, we are kinda stuck since there are only two outfits who do really good work. I think both of them know that since the lowest price either will offer is $995.00.

For that price, I received full upper and lower bumper coverage, the hood with a bikini cut about 5 to 6 inches above the top of the scoop, the scoop itself, the headlights, foglights, mirrors and door edge guards. (plus the lights are covered in a thicker 3M material) 3M provides a 5 year warranty, but the installer gives you a lifetime warranty for his work.

What does your quote cover? Is it done by a 3M trained and authorized tech?

Thanks, Rich

Old 07-17-2008, 01:06 PM
deafbuzz
2nd Gear
if you are planning to keep your mini for good without reselling the car after 50,000 miles then go for it. i decided to keep my mini for good without reselling and did purchase warranty and maintenance separately.

if it includes the front bonnet and bumper then go for it. if it is only front bonnet without bumper then your price is little higher than mine.

ouch, yours is higher than mine. i believe mine is $500. btw, i had only 1,200 mileage on my brand new tire with first nail and leaking. good thing it did warn me before i knew my tire was leaking slowly.

btw, service advisor mistakely charged me for $275 including labor, tire and free shuttle to ride on nice bmw suv. i claimed to have hazard protection program to cover this. then sa took good care of making a call for 15 minutes and no charge. i am still in good hands with hazard protection program for 5 years.

same comment about keeping my car for good without reselling it then i go for it.

well, if you have good job then gap insurance is pointless.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:02 PM
GRITCH
Neutral
Noegel: The This 6 year/100,000 mile warranty is for "Maintenance" only i.e., Oil, filter, brakes, wiper blades.

richs10: The $695 3M InvisiShield covers the upper/lower bumper and approximately 18" of the bonnet, maybe the mirrors (MA wasn't sure). NOT COVERED: The scoop, headlights, fog lights mirrors and door edge guards. However, for an extra $50 they will cover the front fog lights only. I reviewed the InvisiShield install procedure and it seems straightforward since it's precut for the mini.

After comparing the cost of the same products with other dealers, this dealer is well above average in retail pricing. After talking to an alternative MINI Dealer and comparing MC pricing with options, service, loaner car, etc, my brother is considering canceling the current MC order and then reordering.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:14 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Gritch: IMO, the headlights and the fog lights are a must. This car is low to the ground. I lost two fog lights on my Dodge truck over six years and the MINI's headlamps are about as high as the Dodge's fogs.

If you are going to go with the Invisibra, I recommend that you do a search here and read up on some of the installation stories. I used FrontGuard here in Maryland, and after watching two guys spend a good three hours installing mine, I would never attempt to do this on my own.

IMO, you must have a professional install, and you must make sure the outfit you choose has a good reputation. I paid top dollar for mine, but they knew what they were doing and they bordered on OCD with the install. My guy also gave me the option of a straight across the hood cut or a bikini cut for the top of the bra. I went with the bikini cut and I think that looks great since it breaks-up the line of sight with the edge of the bra.

One last consideration: If you are going to add bonnet stripes you need to make a decision as to whether you install the bra or the stripes first. My stripes were already on the car from the VDC, so they are under the bra. But if I did it over, I would have the stripes on top just because they are cheaper than the bra to replace if they fade or get damaged above the bra line.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:23 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Probably the invisishield and tire warranty would be something I would look into.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:42 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Don't be so quick to dismiss the tire protection.

16" runflats cost about $300 EACH not including labor. 17" are closer to $400 each. BMW/MINI will not repair a runflat that has a nail so you get a free tire (including all labor). If you have 18" tires you'd be stupid not to get it.

2 flat tires and it has paid for itself.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:53 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Keep in mind that many places will patch a runflat.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:01 PM
saturn
4th Gear
GAP insurance you can get through your auto insurance policy, depending on who your insurance is, 3-5 bucks extra a month. I got I just because most people have the minimal insurance if any at all and I want my a$$ covered!

Old 07-17-2008, 07:10 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
16" runflats cost about $300 EACH not including labor. 17" are closer to $400 each. BMW/MINI will not repair a runflat that has a nail so you get a free tire (including all labor).
Wow!!! Where are you buying your tires? TireRack has plenty of 17" runflats for Cooper S for $200 or less.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:25 PM
GRITCH
Neutral
Originally Posted by richs10
Gritch: IMO, the headlights and the fog lights are a must. This car is low to the ground. I lost two fog lights on my Dodge truck over six years and the MINI's headlamps are about as high as the Dodge's fogs.

If you are going to go with the Invisibra, I recommend that you do a search here and read up on some of the installation stories. I used FrontGuard here in Maryland, and after watching two guys spend a good three hours installing mine, I would never attempt to do this on my own.

IMO, you must have a professional install, and you must make sure the outfit you choose has a good reputation. I paid top dollar for mine, but they knew what they were doing and they bordered on OCD with the install. My guy also gave me the option of a straight across the hood cut or a bikini cut for the top of the bra. I went with the bikini cut and I think that looks great since it breaks-up the line of sight with the edge of the bra.

One last consideration: If you are going to add bonnet stripes you need to make a decision as to whether you install the bra or the stripes first. My stripes were already on the car from the VDC, so they are under the bra. But if I did it over, I would have the stripes on top just because they are cheaper than the bra to replace if they fade or get damaged above the bra line.

richs10;
I agree with you regarding covering the headlights but getting everything done correctly will cost upwards of $800+ And yes, a professional install is a must in most cases but some of us are brave enough to attempt it. Of course the install will be professional if someone makes a recommendation.

The dealer has an employee that installs the InvisiShield, decals, stripes etc. I've seen the work and it looks good. The MA said they do not go over the stripes by rather cut around them unless the customer wants otherwise.

The bonnet stripes were ordered with the MC as a $100 option (VDC install?) as opposed to having them installed by the dealer for $300.

Q: When you watching the two guys do the FrontGuard installation were the pieces precut or did they make the cutout from a sheet of the material?

Q: Does anyone have an idea what the precut InvisiShield material costs for the MINI?

Old 07-17-2008, 08:10 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by toolazyforalogin
Keep in mind that many places will patch a runflat.
Including Discount Tire who does it for free.

Originally Posted by RaceTripper
Wow!!! Where are you buying your tires? TireRack has plenty of 17" runflats for Cooper S for $200 or less.
Yep, about $200 is the most you need to pay for a runflat if you wreck it.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:37 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
For a local professional clear bra installer you can check 3M's website just put in your zip code and select the product of interest:

Quick Reply: R56 Dealer add-on's - Extended Maintenance/Warranty, InvisiShield, etc...