R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Test proven way to save gas.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:04 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test proven way to save gas.

We all know MINI's drag coefficient is quite high. Despite the fact, the MC and MCS get great gas mileage. But I wanted to stretch my wallet even further so I started drafting behind larger cars. I have been averaging 38.8 mpg on the current tank. I welcome big SUV's to cut in front of me.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:32 PM
Bruce/Fl
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by r56mini
We all know MINI's drag coefficient is quite high. Despite the fact, the MC and MCS get great gas mileage. But I wanted to stretch my wallet even further so I started drafting behind larger cars. I have been averaging 38.8 mpg on the current tank. I welcome big SUV's to cut in front of me.
Considering how close you have to be to profit from the effect it should work with no problems if you've got good reaction time.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:39 PM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'Nother name for MINIs drafting behind big rigs? Bumper stain.
Be careful out there, man.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:56 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
R56mini
He achieved great gas mileage
May he rest in peace

Old 07-17-2008, 02:47 AM
bobj
4th Gear
Even better ....
1. leave mini in garage.
2. tie rope to foot.
3. tie other end to neighbors Suburban.
4. catch the draft with zero mpg.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:59 AM
Dubaian
4th Gear
... be careful.. rock chips

Old 07-17-2008, 03:16 AM
leicaguy
4th Gear
running over road debris that you can't react to.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:16 AM
Lyme
2nd Gear
As an option to tying yourself to an Escalanch, Hummer, or some other mostly useless bauble of conspicuous consumption and sense of personal and perhaps sexual inadequacy you might try tying bicycle.
In order for "drafting" to be effective one must be practically kissing the bumper of the aforementioned lead vehicle. You would have to be on hyper alert. Imagine having someone follow you so close to your rear bumper. Along with irritation, frustration, anger, etc., your concentration would be diverted from paying attention to what is ahead to "what is this idiot behind me doing and how can I shake him/her." Another issue is that these large beasts are frequently driving at stupid speeds particularly considering the $ involved. It is not surprising to me to find 'support our troops" stickers on the rear of these beasts.
I try to maximize my mpg by attempting to drive in a sane manner at or near the speed limit. Most people pass me. I no longer care.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:34 AM
Ace121
1st Gear
Here is link to the results that MythBusters achieved behind a big-rig.
http://mythbusters-wiki.discovery.com/page/Big+Rig+Drafting?t=anon

Old 07-17-2008, 04:36 AM
minikart4me
2nd Gear
I just got 37 on my way to Maine, half highway, half back roads (hand calculated). That's good enough for me.

I brake for tailgators.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:40 AM
Lyme
2nd Gear
Welcome to Maine. My MINI resides in a garage along the shore of a lake in Poland, Maine. Oh, I am fortunate enough to live in a house on the shore of a lake in Maine.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:16 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
how near do u have ot be?

Old 07-17-2008, 05:43 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BMWBOY
As an option to tying yourself to an Escalanch, Hummer, or some other mostly useless bauble of conspicuous consumption and sense of personal and perhaps sexual inadequacy you might try tying bicycle.
In order for "drafting" to be effective one must be practically kissing the bumper of the aforementioned lead vehicle. You would have to be on hyper alert. Imagine having someone follow you so close to your rear bumper. Along with irritation, frustration, anger, etc., your concentration would be diverted from paying attention to what is ahead to "what is this idiot behind me doing and how can I shake him/her." Another issue is that these large beasts are frequently driving at stupid speeds particularly considering the $ involved. It is not surprising to me to find 'support our troops" stickers on the rear of these beasts.
I try to maximize my mpg by attempting to drive in a sane manner at or near the speed limit. Most people pass me. I no longer care.
You have a VERY good point about potential road rage / distraction of SUV drivers when someone is trying to hyper-mile on them. ANd also some good points as to why some folks like SUVs. But please leave the political /troops side out of it - it tends to lead off-topic and into a nasty discussion when the OP was trying to be helpful.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:48 AM
PSUinDC
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ngweibing
how near do u have ot be?
I believe that mythbusters proved that anywhere within 100ft is beneficial. Hanging in around 75ft at 60mph isn't THAT dangerous... it's the crazies that try to get 20ft from the bumper of the big rig that scare me.

Oh, and a way to save gas.... just don't drive as much. Lately I've been driving my wife to the metro (5 miles) then parking near by to ride my bike to work (6.5 miles). There's a nice trail near by, and I could use a loss of a few pounds... and its fun

Old 07-17-2008, 05:50 AM
gjhsu
5th Gear
That's odd, I was able to get 38.8 without drafting.

And, yes, it is quite dangerous.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:43 AM
OPC
RATTUS Deserticus
Originally Posted by PSUinDC
I believe that mythbusters proved that anywhere within 100ft is beneficial. Hanging in around 75ft at 60mph isn't THAT dangerous... it's the crazies that try to get 20ft from the bumper of the big rig that scare me.
Yes, but the size of the vehicle you're drafting will determine the size of the low-pressure wake it has. Mythbusters mostly did its testing with a big rig, no?

Also, keep in mind the money you save in gas costs you may end up giving back to the state in tail-gating tickets. WA state requires 1car length for every 10mph velocity. Completely unrealistic in urban areas, but there you go.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:51 AM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
Yeah.. no thanks. I'll go with the savings on my gas card rather than risking my life or the paint on my MINI.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:57 AM
r56mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PSUinDC
To get the drafting effect, I agree that you don't have to be dangerously close. I intentionally left the distance part to the readers and as I suspected many people think NASCAR kind of bumper to bumper drafting. However, anything that will break the air for you in the front will be beneficial, especially in the headwind. I ride road bicycle and you won't believe how much energy you can save by following someone. On a bike you have to be close to save a lot of energy because the bicycle is already extremely aerodynamic.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:48 AM
Ed.A
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
You have a VERY good point about potential road rage / distraction of SUV drivers when someone is trying to hyper-mile on them. ANd also some good points as to why some folks like SUVs. But please leave the political /troops side out of it - it tends to lead off-topic and into a nasty discussion when the OP was trying to be helpful.

Well said....

Old 07-17-2008, 10:15 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Can someone help me with some math? Is there a way to figure out the deceleration rate of a MINI while at maximum braking?

Old 07-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
If you follow the One car length for every 10 mph rule you have 0.82 seconds to notice their brake lights and match their deceleration. How fast you are going doesn't change it. This is based on the length of a MINI (12 ft.) and a person's ability to precisely estimate multiple car lengths visually -- which is doubtful.

0.82 seconds is probably the minimum time it takes for someone to notice the brake lights, decide to brake, get your foot from the gas to the brake pedal, and get the brakes acting. If your attention is distracted you better have significantly better stopping power than the car ahead.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:17 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
OK, forgive me - can you detail that equation for me please? Math is not my forte, and that sounded like fuzzy logic when I read it....Could be user/operator error, though.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:18 PM
silverfinn
1st Gear
Originally Posted by r56mini
Not my cup of tea. I like to have my own envelope of space for freedom to maneuver in case of an emergency. And also I like to drive relaxed. r56mini, your reflexes may be really sharp but watch out for the debris on the road and be prepared. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:54 PM
OPC
RATTUS Deserticus
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
If you follow the One car length for every 10 mph rule you have 0.82 seconds to notice their brake lights and match their deceleration. How fast you are going doesn't change it. This is based on the length of a MINI (12 ft.) and a person's ability to precisely estimate multiple car lengths visually -- which is doubtful.

0.82 seconds is probably the minimum time it takes for someone to notice the brake lights, decide to brake, get your foot from the gas to the brake pedal, and get the brakes acting. If your attention is distracted you better have significantly better stopping power than the car ahead.
.82 seconds assumes the vehicle ahead of you is at a dead stop. Sobering, isn't it? In practice, however, how often do you find yourself six car lengths behind the vehicle in front of you at 60mph during rushhour? Leave that type of gap and 5cars will squeeze into it. Growing up in NM we were taught to follow a 2second rule.

I thought I'd seen studies indicating attentive drivers can begin reacting in .4-.5 seconds. Still doesn't leave much time if you assume the leading vehicle is at a dead stop.

BTW, calculating the deccelleration of a MINI you would have to assume either wheel lockup or ABS and each has its set of inputs into a back of the envelope F=ma equation.

OK, forgive me - can you detail that equation for me please? Math is not my forte, and that sounded like fuzzy logic when I read it....Could be user/operator error, though.
It's just v=d/t

Old 07-17-2008, 02:31 PM
ChiliXer
4th Gear
I know that extreme tailgating can be very dangerous, but I have to completely agree with this one. I notice that I get way better gas mileage in heavier traffic were you really cant get out in front, and making and effort when stuck to pick going behind the bigger vehicle helps as well. The drag coefficient is quite terrible so even little bit of draft you get on an SUV with typical busy highway spacing is pretty noticeable.

When things aren't busy, I just stick to the cruise control, because 10 mph faster than everyone else seems to be the comfortable speed for me when im not thinking about it

Quick Reply: R56 Test proven way to save gas.