R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 NO Sunroof :) and Happy Club!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 06:21 PM
900darmah
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JudgeS
And rule #1 is convertible owners should never make fun of anyones lifestyle.
WTF???

Old 07-18-2008, 06:23 PM
900darmah
1st Gear
^ a convertible owner making jokes so funny ahhh
Another Mac owner with out a sense of humor.
Run into them every day.

Last edited by 900darmah; 07-18-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:29 PM
Halifax
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Living in the Northeast, I like the sunroof and have it open much of the time. I'm not happy with the mesh wind deflector but I imagine it was supposed to be an improvement over the R53. No squeaks, leaks, etc. (yet). The other fun car in the stable is a '75 TR6 so open tops work for me.

Very effective and well-made sun shields for the R56 by Stratmosphere reviewed here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...=stratmosphere

Post #30.

But now I see that this is the No Sunroof and Happy Club! Whoops.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:32 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Wow triple post cool, not, make fun of Mac owners all you want it obvious YSATI, so its easy to take that opinion from where it comes

Old 07-18-2008, 06:56 PM
bobj
4th Gear
Hey Judgie, so is that a "no", they don"t let you out on week ends?

P.S. How come MACs didn't sell well until Steve Job's finally gave up the RISC processor, and admitted they were not faster than PC's by deciding to put Intel Processors in them? That is, now the insides are the same chips as in any PC. Faster? ...do you believe in the easter bunny too? You do know that MAC's o/s is basically good ole' Linux, don't you? The same stuff us PC guys download for free from universities all over the world? Then again, maybe I do have a MAC .. Let's see .. same processor, memory, hardware as your MAC, different color plastic on the outside, but look .. I am running Linux too, just like you! Hmmmm, I'm confused, maybe you could explain the difference in terms a computer engineer like me could understand ....

Seriously Judgie, you have to learn to lighten up ... you need to go out for longer drives in your OPEN TOP mini.

Last edited by bobj; 07-18-2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:57 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
no sunroof = no fun

It just opens up the whole interior.
no sunroof = more headroom = more room for a race helmet = way more fun
no sunroof = less weight = lower center of gravity = way more fun

Old 07-18-2008, 07:10 PM
Bananas
2nd Gear
Ok, so my deepest apologies for bringing up the Mac vs. PC debate! Soooo shouldn't have brought it up, apparently. I just meant to say that it seems like the sunroof question is something a lot of people have a strong opinion on. (And for the record, I'm a Mac addict. Hee hee.)

Old 07-18-2008, 07:21 PM
bobj
4th Gear
WOW, Judgie, you found your CAPS key and used an acronym, I'm impressed!
But that was a bad one, so you are going to get a time-out.
Pretty soon they may let you take a computer 101 course, but you will have to promise to keep taking those little blue pills.
It's becoming obvious YSA social skills, Judgie. You see, it is all in good fun, nobody is trying to pick on you ...there is no boogeyman.
You can go back to your room now. We will leave the night light on for you. And tomorrow you will feel better. Nightie night ....

Last edited by bobj; 07-18-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:50 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Much better!

Old 07-18-2008, 09:41 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Hey bobjob its really too easy to get under your skin, I didn't know you would give me all this attention, did you really need two posts to respond to me, guess YSATI too, or you just get so excited by your witty comebacks you need to respond twice. Now like all convertible owners your probably a bit sensitive or maybe going through a midlife crisis so I apologize for those shots, don't want to kick a man while he's down, can't take it, or going senile, so go out and look cool with your top down like you want, man your so cool, open that top lol, you are really so cool, like Fonzie, and funny WOW

Oh and Macs FTMFW hater.

Last edited by JudgeS; 07-18-2008 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:29 PM
bobj
4th Gear
Judgie, you forgot your pill again ....

Old 07-18-2008, 10:46 PM
bobj
4th Gear
Look, judgie, I posted twice, just for you ...
Does this mean I can put you on my buddy list now? But no more CAPS you naughty boy.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:48 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Couple funny things here...

the thread was for No Sunroof, and happy club, but those with sunroofs couldn't help but come on in and post....

Just to stir the pot, I had an Amiga with a 68030 that would run both windows and mac OSs faster than the equivalent machine... As emulations! There's a lot more than technology that goes into sucessful computer business. The Amigas are gone, but both macs and PCs live happily under this roof.

One thing I have noticed though, those of us with convertibles tend to not like sunroofs. Also, since the Mini one is transparent, isnt that more of a moonroof? At least it used to be. Sunroofs were panals that were metal, not plastic or glass.

Matt

Old 07-18-2008, 11:32 PM
Analogeezer
2nd Gear
We test drove a MINI for the first time the other day and it had a sunroof, it was a day in the high 80's and our son complained it was almost unbearable in the back and I noticed the heat as well.

I've got one on my Integra and don't use it all that much, it at least has a full sliding shade to block it when not in use.

Not an option for most, but I also have a Mazdaspeed Miata which after I bought that car made sunroofs largely irrelevant for me

Also, in certain colors the two tone MINI's look really cheeky and you loose a lot of that look with the huge sunroof.

Analogeezer

Old 07-19-2008, 12:31 AM
Bruce/Fl
3rd Gear
Would someone please mention Hitler so we can Godwin this thread?

Oops!

Old 07-19-2008, 12:34 AM
bradchatellier
3rd Gear
Sunroof would have compromised an audiophile grade stereo install, and with the risk of a rattley one... not a chance.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:34 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bruce/Fl
Would someone please mention Hitler so we can Godwin this thread?

Oops!
Obviously, Hitler would side with the no sunroof crowd -- Aryans sunburn easily.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:48 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No sunroof is an absolute deal breaker for me. In fact, it DID break a deal. In December, 06, I couldn't find the combination I wanted--CR MCS, 6 speed, AND a sunroof. Two out of three, yes, but I wanted three out of three. I ordered.

I haven't had a car without a sunroof since a minivan in '93, and I don't intend to quit. It's not any hotter with a good tint, and can cool down faster than a closed car, and yes, it gets mighty hot here in the Houston area--mid to upper 90's for weeks on end.

I've never had a problem with a roof, either--no leaks, rattles, or breakage. Well, I did have one break, but I think it had something to do with hitting a tree sideways. And in that case I was trapped in the car with a broken back and a jammed door. I was actually able to flag down a guy by sticking my hand out the (broken out) sunroof so that he could see there was someone in the car. Made my life easier that day, since no one had seen the accident and it was a 2-lane out in the boonies.

Why have one? Well, I use mine about 9 months out of the year. Nothing finer than a blue-sky day with a hole in the roof. And driving the twisties with heat on and roof open is wonderful!

We even have a '64 Porsche 356 SC Sunroof Coupe--a really rare bird. As nearly as I can find out, only about 2500 to 3000 were ever made...

Old 07-20-2008, 04:46 AM
getting grey
2nd Gear
Blame it on NAM

I spent months lurking this site before placing my order. At that time it seemed like the one option that earned the most complaints was the sunroof. This was an option I thought I might like but decided against only after reading how many of you were honestly unhappy with them.

I love the breeze when I put down both windows.

I don't feel the differance in performance when I bring home a boot full of groceries and don't think the added weight of a sunroof would really slow me down.

My stock headliner (white) helps to keep the inside bright and cool.

The more hair I loose the less I enjoy the sun beating down on my head.

Thank You NAM for making easy for me to make the right choice. Your comments can be a big help when a newbee configures that first mini.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:26 AM
SmokeM
5th Gear
Originally Posted by fishbert
Obviously, Hitler would side with the no sunroof crowd -- Aryans sunburn easily.
I read quite the opposite, they needed the sunroofs so they could "Heil" each other as they drove past each other on the street.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:49 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by getting grey
I spent months lurking this site before placing my order. At that time it seemed like the one option that earned the most complaints was the sunroof. This was an option I thought I might like but decided against only after reading how many of you were honestly unhappy with them.

The more hair I loose the less I enjoy the sun beating down on my head.
I think a lot of the negative responses in NAM were about problems with the early R56. A lot of owners reported excessive noise, for which there now is a cure. Fortunately I never had any trouble.

As for the hair thing, that's what they make MINI caps for!

Old 07-20-2008, 02:11 PM
Eric (Plug Guy)
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Astro has no sunroof, and I wanted it that way. I do, however, own cabs and sunroof cars as well.

In the cab, I do a good bit with the top down when I feel like it (temp is good, not too hot), but in the sunroof cars, I rarely use it.

On the Mini, I did not enjoy the sun beating down on me through the mesh, and did not feel I'd use the sunroof much either. Even with tint, I thought I would prefer no sunroof, so I got it that way.

And to throw another log on this fire, our household is both Mac and PC friendly (I have pc's here and at office, but all other members of this house have Macs, and I will probably drift that way soon).

Old 07-20-2008, 02:14 PM
Peaches611
4th Gear
Another happy non-sunroofer here. That was one of my "must not haves" when I ordered. It really wasn't because of heat issues or complaints I read here; it was just that I felt if I wanted a lot of sun in my car, I'd get a convertible.

Every car I've owned had a sunroof (had always bought off the lot before my MINI), and I rarely used it. When I did, I didn't enjoy it.

I'm very happy with my MCS w/o sunroof, and even with anthracite headliner, I don't find it dark at all inside.

Cheers!

Old 07-20-2008, 02:21 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
It's really amazing that there are either rabid sunroof demanders like me, and rabid sunroof haters like the others. Not too many ambivalent owners. Then again, the haters are largly people who didn't use previous sunroofs. Wonder why? No blue sky days?

Old 07-20-2008, 03:31 PM
futuremini
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a 85 T-Bird Turbo Coupe with sunroof and 2 corvettes with the glass tops. It is not that I hate them just didn't want one on the mini. I just don't like the way it hits half and half above my head. Half sunroof and half sheet metal. Otherwise I do enjoy them.

Quick Reply: R56 NO Sunroof :) and Happy Club!