R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 NO Sunroof :) and Happy Club!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 03:26 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cybergypsy

Old 07-27-2008, 03:46 PM
Apple
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gokartride
Just added Apple and my 06 Civic... I lose tons of pics... but keep Ins cars with vins

Old 07-27-2008, 07:17 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stan11003
taken from the Stock problems and issues forum
I'd never have glass replaced at a dealer. I've heard of $800+ windshields, too.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:42 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
I'd never have glass replaced at a dealer. I've heard of $800+ windshields, too.
Windshields with the auto rain sensor are a lot more expensive than those without. About 5 years ago I was quoted $650 for windshield on a BMW E39 530i with sensor.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:23 AM
TBMINI
2nd Gear
No sunroof and happy here in The Woodlands, TX (North of Houston)

Old 07-28-2008, 07:25 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RaceTripper
Windshields with the auto rain sensor are a lot more expensive than those without. About 5 years ago I was quoted $650 for windshield on a BMW E39 530i with sensor.
Very true, but your local glass company will do it for far less. They will in Houston, anyway. I've heard that the dealer just farms it out anyway.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:53 PM
DiggyDog
3rd Gear
I was going to get the sunroof until my boss showed me his and I realized that there is no real - just a mesh thing the still lets in the sun so I saved $1,500.00!

If they would only make a real shade for it...

Old 08-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Pinky Demon
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sunroofs actually cut down on head room by an inch or so. I've had cars where a sunroof was a make or break factor for me.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:19 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
How tall are you? My hubby's 6'2" and can wear his ten gallon hat in my MINI; also a helmet for autocrossing. (No, smart a$$, not at the same time.)

Old 08-03-2008, 05:33 AM
vaper
2nd Gear
the sunroof was the one option that I was on the fence about when ordering my '06 MCS. after it was added to my order I had second thoughts (for the twentieth time) and attempted to cancel it but it was too late in the build process to make any changes. I purchased a set of sunroof shades from stratmosphere.com and kept them in place almost all of the time.

when it was time to order my clubman it was a no-brainer for me. no sunroof. no regrets.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:41 AM
DiggyDog
3rd Gear
If it were like the Mac/PC debate there wouldn't be a debate at all!

Everyone would know which one was better and the others would make excuses for why they didn't get sunroofs.

You know..."No sunroof is what I am used to."

"There is just not enough software available for the sunroof."

"I'm not that interested in style or functionality, etc."

"No sunroof is cheaper and it's what I have at work."

"I realize that the sunroof is Y2K compliant but I am happy to install a bunch of patches on my roof. It gives me somethign to do instead of working..."

LOL. I don't mean to ruffle any feathers. I'm just trying to be funny.

I currently use a PC and I have no sunroof and I make excuses for both.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Pinky Demon
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
How tall are you? My hubby's 6'2" and can wear his ten gallon hat in my MINI; also a helmet for autocrossing. (No, smart a$$, not at the same time.)
6' 8", I have some room, but I would prefer not to have one. On the Cobalt SSes that I was previously considering buying, I was looking for models specifically with no sunroof.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:01 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Only competition for my MINI money was the Volvo S30, which with the Costco Deal and nice rebate,
was the same cost and a LOCAL Dealer to boot.

As soon as I saw that I could not have a Sunroof, my money went to MINI, never even went to see that S-30.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:09 PM
DiggyDog
3rd Gear
I also looked at the Volvo but I went with the MINI.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:35 AM
miniobx
2nd Gear
To Sun Roof or NOT to Sun Roof, THAT is the question...

OK, NAM...I am relatively new to this great community. We're about to order, probably, a JustaCooper, Chili Red or Pepper White with black roof. The option possibilities do make you crazy, but so does this Sun Roof thread. Is there any real documentation ANYWHERE on this site by someone who has actually owned a MC or MCS with a Sun Roof who actually had noise, rattle and leak problems? There are lots of references to postings about problems on NAM, but I see NONE.
Of course there are heat issues with a huge window over your head, D'Oh. But, there seem to be fixes for this:
1. Tint
2. Ceramic tint
3. Shades
4. Decals
5. Clouds
6. Total solar eclipse
No one has mentioned anything about the heat GAIN in the winter months - is that not a plus on a cold winter day?
So, I ask NAM to point me to owners who have ACTUAL experience with a squeaky, rattly, and leaky Mini Sun Roof. Please.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Engender
3rd Gear
Okay, I ordered a sunroof on my forthcoming 09 MCS. I had too - even though you can't really close them off. That is admittedly annoying...

Can you just tape/adhere something to the existing sunshade to make it darker? like tape some white paper up there or something? Has anyone tried that? If so, what did you find that worked?

Old 08-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Bananas
2nd Gear
I have a sunroof and have NOT had any squeaking, rattling, or leaking from the sunroof. And yeah, the heat gain in the winter months is a plus!

Old 08-06-2008, 09:45 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry, but the search function here sucks...

but trust me, there are tons of comments about rattles, bad seals, bad drain tubes and on and on just like you would find for any other system on the car. Complexity = increased fault rate. No getting around this.

But it comes down to if you want one, get it, as the problem rate isn't really that bad. If you don't want one, don't get it, and you save the weight and the cost.

Matt

Old 08-06-2008, 09:46 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniobx
No one has mentioned anything about the heat GAIN in the winter months - is that not a plus on a cold winter day?
I have two words for that: heated seats

Old 08-06-2008, 09:51 AM
stan11003
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by miniobx
OK, NAM...I am relatively new to this great community. We're about to order, probably, a JustaCooper, Chili Red or Pepper White with black roof. The option possibilities do make you crazy, but so does this Sun Roof thread. Is there any real documentation ANYWHERE on this site by someone who has actually owned a MC or MCS with a Sun Roof who actually had noise, rattle and leak problems? There are lots of references to postings about problems on NAM, but I see NONE.
Of course there are heat issues with a huge window over your head, D'Oh. But, there seem to be fixes for this:
1. Tint
2. Ceramic tint
3. Shades
4. Decals
5. Clouds
6. Total solar eclipse
So, I ask NAM to point me to owners who have ACTUAL experience with a squeaky, rattly, and leaky Mini Sun Roof. Please.
For issue see the stock issues forum, forewarned it may scare you from buying a Mini. But don't loose heart. The downside in the winter is that a glass panel doesn't insulate all that well, most car manufactures over come this by having a insulated sliding screen. All we get is some mesh between us the glass and the 2 inches of snow above our heads.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:38 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
The early R56s (about the first 6 months of '07) did have terrible problems with noise on SOME cars (not mine). Eventually it was linked to a misalignment of the glass, not the seals as everyone thought at the time. I haven't heard of recent trouble. I never had a sunroof rattle or leak on any car, and after 24,000 miles in the MINI, I still haven't. I don't know what all the fuss is about, frankly. The only thing I ever get is a hum in a direct crosswind when I'm going about 70, or a similar hum at 90, regardless of wind. Makes a good speed warning!

There are those who need an extra amount of rigidity that a sunroof compromises. And others object to the added weight which is in a bad location, although it's not nearly as many pounds as some have stated (I checked with the engineers in Munich!). Those are the people on the tracks and autocross courses--will you be one of them?

The NBA players among us point out a small loss of headroom, but that's an individual thing, not a defect of the car.

You're right, there are fixes for the heat problems. And the double sunroof in vent position keeps your car cooler when it is parked. That black roof you are considering is every bit a problem as an untinted sunroof!

From the standpoint of resale, I say get one. Many people consider it an essential part of the motoring experience, regardless of marque. And if you ever get a nice mild sunny blue-sky day, as even we get in Houston, you'll be glad you did. A transendent experience on the twisties!

A word about boards like NAM--if you have a problem you'll post. If you don't you probably won't. Given that, it's hard to get a feel for how common a problem is. I didn't have 90% of the problems others reported, and I have a week 3 build.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:07 AM
kpwright
1st Gear
trade volvo for mini

Originally Posted by pilotart
Only competition for my MINI money was the Volvo S30, which with the Costco Deal and nice rebate,
was the same cost and a LOCAL Dealer to boot.

As soon as I saw that I could not have a Sunroof, my money went to MINI, never even went to see that S-30.
I just sold my 2nd volvo (have owned '97 960 and '88 740) and ordered a Clubman. The volvo experience was mechanically excellent, however I began to notice that mini owners were attracting significant female attention, whereas my volvo elicited comments like "oh, that must be really safe".

Last edited by kpwright; 08-07-2008 at 08:08 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-07-2008, 08:36 AM
kpwright
1st Gear
No sunroof

I just ordered a Clubman and was non-sunroof all the way.
I live in Milwaukee; we have no sunroofs open for 6 months/yr. Then in July/August it's too hot 80% of the time. In May, June, Sept, and Oct they are nice to have...but not worth the cost or hassle to me.
Here's all the reasons;

1980 camero, adopted in '88, had aftermarket sunroof that leaked
1988 volvo, adopted in '94, moonroof paint bubbled at edge from water
1990 daytona (wife's) - sunroof leaked and rattled
1997 land rover discovery - both sunroofs rattled; replaced under warranty
1997 volvo - sunroof edge rubber peeled up, required resealing. Headliner reduces head clearance by almost 2 inches (seems like 3 inches in the backseat)
2005 caravan - NO SUNROOF. works great, no problems.
2008 clubman test drive at dealer, 1pm in afternoon on sunny day... sun shone directly in my eyes through the closed sunroof. Even with the shade closed I was squinting. That tipped the decision.
2008 clubman ordered with BRG/BRG... if I'm paying $500 for metallic paint, I want all the BRG I can get... like a giant glowing emerald frog.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:58 AM
calong
1st Gear
I have the sunroof on my 2008 and love it - I live in Ohio and as often as I can that sunroof will be opened Spring, Summer and Fall! And the ocassional Winter day with the heat on! HA! I have had sunroofs in most cars I have owned (and I have owned quite a few) without a leak or a rattle...

Old 08-07-2008, 09:17 AM
OWG
5th Gear
While the Clubman is in the shop, we have been graced with a Copper Auto with a sunroof.

It's a nice car, but driving it confirms two of our purchase decisions, the manual transmission and omitting the sunroof.

No sunroof - happy!

Quick Reply: R56 NO Sunroof :) and Happy Club!