R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 NO Sunroof :) and Happy Club!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 06:45 AM
Apple
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NO Sunroof :) and Happy Club!

I must say living in florida and having this sunroof is crazy, I drive alot and the sunroof makes the car so hot it is unbearable, Apple my new Mini has no sunroof and Gosh I love it you don't even know its missing,,,, Really and stays soooo much cooler, If i lived North I would get it but as far as Florida or TX goes never... this is on choice I am happy with!

Any others hate the sunroof as much as i do, who live in a hot area or anyone who ordered without one and loves it

Old 07-17-2008, 06:55 AM
leicaguy
4th Gear
+1

For me a sunroof means unwanted sunlight, heat, expense, weight, and the potential for water leaks, wind noise, jamming, and rattles. Just my opinion.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:15 AM
netsatwork
1st Gear
My main consideration was the weight and the fact that the cover is just mesh. If I want sun beating down on me, then I'd rather have a convertible.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:23 AM
Mozza
5th Gear
I couldn't do without for those gorgeous non humid days when you want the breeze circulating through the car. Of course nobody likes to have the hot sun beating down on them through the glass but there's an easy solution to that, get it tinted! Windows and sunroof tinted and clear bra installed will be one of the first things I do.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:41 AM
Pretzel Logic
3rd Gear
I don't like sunroofs. Add weight at the top of the car, and inevitably they all end up rattling or making noise down the road...

Old 07-17-2008, 07:44 AM
Bananas
2nd Gear
LOL. Sunroof vs. No Sunroof is like the Mac vs. PC debate for Mini Cooper owners.

I have the sunroof and I live in Texas and yes, it's really hot here in the summer, but I bought sunshades to deal with that. And I have to say that when the sunshades are in, it makes it much darker inside (I have an all-black interior, except for the cream white color line) and I end up missing the sunroof. The shades are just for the hot days of summer. On a cold and dreary day having the sunroof brightens things up a lot, and on a cool and beautiful day it's absolutely wonderful.

But if you don't like it, I fully support your decision not to get one.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:52 AM
Apple
6th Gear
Funny mine were tinted and did no good here, oh and I am a Mac Addict!

Old 07-17-2008, 07:54 AM
NSX JR
3rd Gear
I also decided against the sunroof. I have had many cars with them in the past and simply never used it. I really did not like the fact that it only had the mesh screen cover, even with tinting the sunlight from above annoyed me. I know there are lots of people who love to open the sunroof and for those people I'm sure it is a great thing to have. I used to think they were nice because you could tilt them open in the summer to release the heat. But, my real life experience has told me that I never tilted mine open because of the frequency of sudden thunderstorms in my area.

I really just love the fact that you can customize your mini with specifically what you want. Most cars I have purchased in the past have only a few "packages" to choose from, so I ended up with a sunroof because I really wanted the other things offered in that particular package. Or even worse, there are many cars made with a sunroof standard like my old RSX. It is so nice to have my MINI with everything I want to have and nothing I don't want!

Old 07-17-2008, 07:56 AM
Kyran
2nd Gear
No sunroof and having a white roof makes a big difference down here in South Africa.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:26 AM
msduncan
4th Gear
No sunroof here, and I'm glad I went this way.

I had a cost choice to make -- Sunroof or the Rooster Red interior. Both were 1000 bucks. I went with interior and am happy.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Anthony314
2nd Gear
who cares. Some people like the sunroof and some don't. I'm getting a sunroof and I'm a mac addict. It's all personal opinion. I wouldn't buy a convertible, but some people love them. To each his own.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:24 AM
Apple
6th Gear
I love sunroofs, but these were not designed well at all my benz had the double sunroofs but Had a shade that did thejob with a touch of the button

Old 07-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Shellbell
5th Gear
I agree with Anthony 314!!! Tint the sunroof with limo tint & there's no problem. Personally I'm very claustrophobic without a sunroof in a MINI!

Old 07-17-2008, 11:44 AM
masterd78
MANIAC
I usually get sunroofs but on the MINI nope! I am a squeak freak, and it just seems to me that with a sunroof and lowering the car, I always get squeaks. Not now! And I don't miss the light or the squeaks. No sunroof club member and very happy!

Old 07-17-2008, 11:45 AM
booklady
2nd Gear
I'm getting a full-roof non-perforated graphic on my sunroofed mini, as soon as it arrives. (He's awaiting transport right now.) I understand having a non-perforated one will minimize the heat. I use the sunroof on my Golf a LOT, cos I don't like to use my AC.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:57 AM
thulewx
4th Gear
I got mine without because I keep reading stories on NAM from folks whose sunroofs won't open or leak or jam, plus the lack of a proper shade... not to mention the money saved...

Old 07-17-2008, 12:10 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The prospect of parking at a hot park-and-ride in Texas (which I do all summer) and, when not parked, having the hot sun relentlessly radiating into my car (even w/ the sunshade) meant the sunroof was not a good choice for me. Really, it's a personal thermostat thing. I have had loaners with sunroofs and they worked fine....but again it's presence was as much an annoyance (sun blaring in) as it was a delight (j/k...it was always annoying). On some level I really want to be a sunroof guy...but alas, I am not. Do not even get me started on the cabrio!!!!

For me the perfect sunroof would have an opaque cover and would remain closed.......................oh my, I guess that's a roof!!!!!

Old 07-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Apple
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
The prospect of parking at a hot park-and-ride in Texas (which I do all summer) and, when not parked, having the hot sun relentlessly radiating into my car (even w/ the sunshade) meant the sunroof was not a good choice for me. Really, it's a personal thermostat thing. I have had loaners with sunroofs and they worked fine....but again it's presence was as much an annoyance (sun blaring in) as it was a delight (j/k...it was always annoying). On some level I really want to be a sunroof guy...but alas, I am not. Do not even get me started on the cabrio!!!!

For me the perfect sunroof would have an opaque cover and would remain closed.......................oh my, I guess that's a roof!!!!!
I just think the design is wrong for that car:(

Old 07-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm very happy to have a tin topped MINI. I test drove a MC40 with sunroof on a hot sunny day. 20 minutes of that & I was sure I didn't want one. Me I don't miss it & don't regret not buying it.

For you folks that have & love them I'm glad you are enjoying them. Different strokes as they say.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:00 PM
markjenn
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had a bunch of cars with sunroofs and I notice that I never open them up. That told me I was not a "sunroof guy".

- Mark

Old 07-17-2008, 02:23 PM
b werner
2nd Gear
Our last 2 cars have had sun roofs and we never used them. Seems to be standard thing on pre-ordered cars! So, it was never even on our list when we ordered the Mini and we are very happy. Las Vegas is so sunny and hot but I've noticed that alot of Minis here have a SR. Can't imagine wanting one again unless we move to a milder climate.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:50 PM
Baraka
2nd Gear
no sun roof and happy - that's me (too)

6 foot 6 inches on Recaro sport seats in the MINI ... there's simply more headroom for my without the sun roof.

Additionally there is less weight (good for those track days) and more safety (in case I ever roll over) and best of all: there's no wind noise because of the darn thing.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:54 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sunroofs or targa tops on all past and present cars.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:00 PM
futuremini
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep no sunroof either. No leaks, rattles, extra heat and the bonus of more headroom!

Old 07-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Bhatch
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
60lbs saved here too

and i got a white roof for the summer heat.......nice and cool no matter what the temp

Quick Reply: R56 NO Sunroof :) and Happy Club!