R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Sunroof lovers only

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 08:01 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Love my sunroof!!! I've noticed some sticking, but nothing the slightest push up on the glass doesn't cure. My wife still doesn't understand why I drive home with sunroof open and windows down even on these hot days of summer.

bobj - nice Weimeraner!

Old 07-17-2008, 08:09 PM
andrewholmes
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sunroof with graphic and LOVE IT

Old 07-17-2008, 08:14 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
LOVE MY SUNROOF!!! Always told Hubby that MY next car had to have a Sunroof!!

Old 07-17-2008, 08:37 PM
catguy
2nd Gear
Now gypsy Apple dont come into the roofy's room and stir the apple moths up.. geeeesh.... We all know you have ur Non roofy and love it... so be it... Wht do you just wave out you glass to the other roofys when you pass by them... We roofys stick our thumbs up right our the top and WOW do ppl love it..... plus roofys are the ones that can go outside with no open collar shirts no starch... we even love the weigh... and view... My vote if for the ROOFY'S...

Old 07-17-2008, 08:40 PM
pokie1313
Neutral
I'm a sucker for a sunroof! Fresh air! Sunlight! Fun! Joy! I own 6 cars and 4 of them have sunroofs. But I'm an outside dog!
Pop it when you park it for venting hot air.
Shade it during the summer; there are so many options (tint, graphic, removable custom built, homemade with newspaper, colorful poster board or an old yoga mat -- whatever you have!).
Don't shade it in the winter for warmth and SAD light therapy.
Just remember to close it before a heavy rain.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:52 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
The sunroof is a nuisance in the Texas summer.
The other two seasons it'll be a nice addition.
We don't have winter up here.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:54 PM
dwf137
5th Gear
Love my sunroof, but I've only had the car for one full day.

It's actually pretty quiet at speed compared to the sunroofs in other cars I've driven in.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:23 PM
danielo
4th Gear
I love my panoramic roof.

But has anyone noticed it lets in soot (we have a lot of diesels here) and that lands on my cream leathers. PIA to clean up.

Also i have 2 questions...:

1) Will rain enter the car if you drive in light rain?
2) With the sunroof on the 'tilt' position, will rain enter the car while parked?

Old 07-17-2008, 10:53 PM
DangerMan
1st Gear
The first time I sat in a Mini on a hot June day with the sun beating down on me the lack of an opaque sun shade turned me off. I actually started looking for a MCS without a sunroof. Low and behold, they are nearly impossible to find since they come with the popular Premium Package. In the end I bought my Mini with the Premium Package and sunroof-- and now I'm happy I did! I put some thin, black spongy material between the shade and the glass roof and used velcro to keep it attached. This blocks all the light when the shade is closed, and allows me to roll the shade about 3/4 of the way open when I want to. The only problem is the spongy material comes unglued in the breeze with the sunroof open so I need to find a better way to attach it. Regardless, having a sunroof is better than not having one for resale if for nothing else.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:07 AM
OVREZY
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
sunroof

My sunroof seems to have a nice dark tint applied - we didn't order that way but with a black roof they may apply a tint. No heat problems whatever.

Wouldn't buy another Mini without the sunroof

Old 07-18-2008, 06:53 AM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
Wasn't keen on the idea of a sunroof, but dealer threw in free checkerboard graphics for sunroof and mirrors so I bought the floor model which was the color I wanted. Came to love it within a day of motoring. Gives a feeling of space to an already spacious cockpit.

CROC 411

Old 07-18-2008, 08:00 AM
SteelersFan
5th Gear
Love my sunroof! I open it every chance I get.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:12 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
I think this thread has convinced me to get it in mine.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:16 AM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
I LOVE my sunroof and I haven't even taken delivery yet.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:35 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Would never have considered a MINI Coupe, if it had not had that Sunroof available.

No doubt the BEST designed Sunroof I have seen and I use it All the time.

Mention above about "Black Roof" and possible tint difference.

I have the Black Roof, live in South Florida and the tint and roller screens are all that I need.

Airconditioner does a fine job in mine with the Sunroof in Vent position as well.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:42 AM
Bananas
2nd Gear
I love my sunroof too!

I never cared about sunroofs until this one, it's the best. It really opens up the interior and to me having all of that extra light feels luxurious. I'm also one of the ones that likes the mesh sunshade - if it's a little too sunny, the mesh will lessen the sun a bit without me having to close it up entirely and will still allow air to flow through too. I guess that's probably why they chose mesh. It's more versatile. If I end up leaving it parked in the sun on a really hot day, I have opaque sunshades that match my windshield sunshade and they block all of the sun. But I keep taking them out once I'm back in the car, even when it's super hot, 'cuz the extra light from the sunroof makes me happy. I would not get another Mini without a sunroof.

To those who don't like the sunroof: it's a non-issue. It's your car, and if it's a Mini, as far as I'm concerned it's fantastic either way!

Old 07-18-2008, 10:06 AM
CarolinaCooper
4th Gear
Definitely a fan of the sunroof! Hot down here in summer, so I got ceramic tint. Even better!

Danielo, can't answer your questions as I have not driven with it open in rain with it open or left it tilted open in the rain ... Will let you know if that ever happens.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Spectral Glider
2nd Gear
Love mine too. But you know what's really the best? Opening that baby all the way on a warm summer night. There's nothing cooler than a breeze and the stars at once.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:26 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by danielo
I love my panoramic roof.

But has anyone noticed it lets in soot (we have a lot of diesels here) and that lands on my cream leathers. PIA to clean up.

Also i have 2 questions...:

1) Will rain enter the car if you drive in light rain?
2) With the sunroof on the 'tilt' position, will rain enter the car while parked?
I haven't noticed the soot thing, but then again my whole interior is so dark...

And to answer your two questions, if the roof is OPEN in the rain, um...YEAH, it's going to let rain in. But tilted, rain doesn't come in while you're driving, nor usually when you're parked. Unless, of course, it's a "noreaster" and the rain is driving down SIDEWAYS. Usually, I'll tilt it ALMOST closed when i think it might rain, and it's no problem, but still lets the air in while I'm away.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:00 AM
matty125
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Dubaian
yeah i have and love it... its hot over here in California... but i dont regret getting it.. i have a sunroof graphic! looks pefect

very unique graphic, nicely done
I too LOVE my roof glass. without it you will not see german traffic signals...not that everyone has that problem. Its simply wonderful, woman dig it too.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Anthony314
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BlackS
I love my sunroof as well. In fact, I did not realize that I would get so many questions about the sunroof when it is just "popped' open as both the front and back pop up. Then the back one drops down if the front one is completely opened. Look in my gallery for pics with them "popped" it is very cool. I think I like them better both opened a little. heheheh
Thanks for letting me look in your gallery. I'm getting an Astro Black as well.. should get it any day now! I love that color!

Old 07-18-2008, 11:39 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Next to the nagrivation system, the sunroof is my favorite option.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:09 PM
Puma|Mini
3rd Gear
I LOVE my sunroof. Here in SoCal it's wonderful to just drop the windows, roll back the roof, and voila! Instant cabrio! Well, almost...

Old 07-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Anthony314
2nd Gear
crazy request, but does anybody have photos of the sunroof in all it's positions? open , closed, half closed, screen, whatever.. haha

Old 07-18-2008, 12:31 PM
deafbuzz
2nd Gear
weight

i don't understand why some people complain how sunroof put some heavy weight.

from my experience, i owned the 1998 toyota corolla that was redesigned to be lighter than 1997 model. of course, being lighter can save a little bit gasoline. guess what, i can feel the big truck passed my lighter toyota to scare me out of *****. again in snow, i had to put the sand bags in the trunk to keep weight down for better traction between tires and snow on road.

this sunroof added weight on my mcs is blessed for me to drive and to feel more control in right balance.

Quick Reply: R56 Sunroof lovers only