R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Sunroof lovers only

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 01:24 PM
MeloR56
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If there is an interest in me doing this would be glad to do for the MINI... over on the C6 Corvette forum couple years ago (I also own 2 Vettes) there was a raging debate about the trans top vs solid top visa vie' UV and heat gain with trans (blue tint clear) top... being in the historic preservation field and using certain testing tools for UV monitoring (UV is know to give you a sunburn, but in my profession is equally know for damaging historic fabric/materials) I filed this report with the C6 forum:

There was a prior discussion about how much UV light wavelength was filtered (if any) by the transparent top. This question was put in the context of heat gain in the interior and to the 'sun burning' effects of those who are somewhat 'hair challenged' . First the issue of the effects of light (ranging from natural sunlight to incandescent light to fluorescent light) is very complex and can fill volumes. I have taught courses in museum (curatorial) studies dealing with control of light (lumens to UV and everything in-between) due the detrimental effects of light on museum collections (as in fading to total failure of material (like a simple term of ‘light induced rotting’) So my point…for all you science and google types… I am ONLY addressing the one question that came forth in the earlier post… ‘Does the transparent top filter out UV??

Control of ultraviolet light is relatively straightforward. The standard limit for UV for preservation is 75 µW/l Any light source with a higher UV emission must be filtered. Control of visible light is obviously more problematic. It is essential to understand that light damage is cumulative, and that lower levels of illumination will mean less damage over the long term. Here is the standard I am using (the optimal standard to conservation of historic collections…which are a hell of more fragile issue that modern car interiors and our heads): 75 microwatts or less…and of course pure darkness is best ). So here is the test

Testing device:
The weapon of choice for museums is the Crawford Type 760+ series UV monitor

Test conditions:
Cloudy Bright
Full Sun
Test outside car with meter at 90 deg to sky
Test inside car thru transparent top with meter 90 deg to sky

Test One
Cloudy Bright (no direct sun but filtered thru clouds…and to debunk a myth… cloudy sky has less UV effects (as in “sun” burn causative agents) than sunny sky…NO
Reading outside: 850 microwatts
Reading inside thru transparent top: 75 microwatts

Test Two
Full Sun
Reading outside: 850 microwatts
Reading inside thru transparent top: 75 microwatts

So yes the transparent top does an excellent ‘to museum standards’ of controlling UV penetration into the interior of the cabin. Heat gain?? That is another subject with another analysis to come…remember the original question was UV light source.

So my MINI brethern... any interest in my doing this testing?
Michael

Last edited by MeloR56; 07-18-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:03 PM
Bananas
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MeloR56
So my MINI brethern... any interest in my doing this testing?
Well sure, I'd be interested to know how much UV comes through the glass (without additional tint). That'd be great! It would be nice to know if I don't have to worry too much about using protectant on the seats and such.

As far as heat goes, I think blaming the sunroof for all of the extra heat in the summer is, well, a little silly - first of all, the car is a big thing made of metal sitting in the sun. Regardless of how many windows it has, it will get hot. And, the windshield and side windows let in heat and light too. The windshield is (in my opinion) worse than the sunroof, 'cuz the sunroof is tinted a bit whereas the windshield is not. And, you can get the sunroof tinted even more if you want, but generally you don't tint the windshield (isn't it illegal in most places?). If you want to do anything about the heat and light coming in through the windshield, you pretty much have to get a sunshade for it, which you can't leave in while driving. I remember I was on a road trip recently, in a different kind of car, and I was getting roasted by the sun coming in the windshield (no sunroof in that car). Nothing to do about it except turn up the A/C. For my side windows, I have ceramic tint which is supposed to block 99% of the UV and 61% of the solar energy. Helps a lot as far as the side windows go. But I didn't get the sunroof tinted with the ceramic, it just has whatever tint it had from the factory.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:06 PM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
Sure, by all means, do the test. Sounds like you have it planned perfectly.

CROC 411

Old 07-19-2008, 05:42 AM
xqb3b
3rd Gear
I think it's fantastic that a legitimate expert on the topic is not only available to the forum, but willing to use your professional skills to educate us all. Thanks.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:00 AM
bobj
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice analysis, yes, I would like to know. May I ask another Q you might know the answer to. Do you have any suggestions for the protection of the cars paint, and tires, from UV, other than parking it in the garage. Thanks

Old 07-19-2008, 07:12 AM
gababo
2nd Gear
Window tint really helps!!!

After picking up my new MINI, I tinted my windows (side with35% sunroof 5% with 3M Color-stable). I felt amazing difference in heat that I felt from the sun coming through my sunroof. Driving is much more comfortable (amazing difference). Since I have transitional lens eye-glasses, I tested whether UV comes through my newly tinted sunroof or not, I found out that my eye-glasses lens color never change, which means sunroof tint really block UV. I really regret that I didn't test before I tint my sunroof. I should've done it so that I can tell whether slight tint from the factory block any UV ray.
Anyone ever tested?
BTW, I love Sunroof. IMHO, sunroof is must for any MINI buyers. It gives your MINI new style and reduces heat accumulation during parking especially in the summer. Just love it!!!!

Old 07-19-2008, 07:47 AM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bobj
Nice analysis, yes, I would like to know. May I ask another Q you might know the answer to. Do you have any suggestions for the protection of the cars paint, and tires, from UV, other than parking it in the garage. Thanks
You can try a car cover, otherwise a good wax consistently applied is the best you'll do for paint (and usually more than adequate). Tons of products out there for vinyl and rubber, I recommend sonus total eclipse ( http://sonus-usa.com/son-700.html ).

You also might try a good sunblock, to protect you from the damage to your skin in your super cool convertible

Old 07-19-2008, 08:20 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Convertibles truly are "Super Cool" it took the fabulous Sunroof of the MINI Cooper Coupe to wean me off of forty years of rag-top's

It is a good idea to keep a stick, tube or spray of sunblock in the car for your (and your passenger's) protection.

Tires will usually wear out long before any UV damage can occur.

Car cover in any wind could do more harm than good, unless finish were absolutely dust-free.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:17 AM
DOT191
3rd Gear
We love the Sunroof on our Mini. Have it open as much as possible in
the Spring ,Summer & Fall here in New England.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:28 AM
MeloR56
3rd Gear
Hopefully I will do the UV and heat gain testing this coming week..lets see what we get
Michael

Old 07-20-2008, 04:55 AM
Anthony314
2nd Gear
I'm curious which is the better tint? 3M or Ceramic. I know nothing about tinting windows... I might tint my sunroof just to block UV rays, but I want to do it the best way possible.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:05 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sunroof is especially fun when you have a full roof graphic. People don't notice it and are surprised when the graphic actually moves.

Besides....

If you open both windows and the sunroof all the way, it almost feels like you're driving one of these...

Long Live The Sunroof !!!!

Old 07-20-2008, 05:36 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DOT191
We love the Sunroof on our Mini. Have it open as much as possible in
the Spring ,Summer & Fall here in New England.
How's it in the winter? BTW, I'm just a few minutes south of you.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:34 AM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Anthony314
I'm curious which is the better tint? 3M or Ceramic. I know nothing about tinting windows... I might tint my sunroof just to block UV rays, but I want to do it the best way possible.
Ceramic tint is much better, 3M is just a good brand of metallic tint along the lines but no better than Formula one, Solarguard, or Lumar. In-fact many would argue 3M is not quite as good those.

Ceramic tint is much thicker, and much more heat resistant than standard metallic or any other offering. It also costs more and is much harder to work with. As a result of it being harder to work with its much better to go with a certified installer (really with all tint, but especially with ceramic because of the difficulty). With all this in mind ceramic tint will usually cost twice as much as 3M or similar quality tints to have installed (figure at least $375-400 for a Mini).

Now there are two makers of ceramic tint that I know of Huper Optik and Formula One (pinnacle series), I've only seen Huper in person, but from what I hear it is the better of the two (and a bit thicker), but I dont think you will go wrong with either. Search either web site to find an authorized dealer.

I myself have had many kinds of tint including 3M, Lumar, Solarguard, and Huper. After going with ceramic tint, I will never waste my time with any metallic tint again, its just such a much nicer quality product. Not to mention it allows you the ability to go with a lighter tint and still get better protection from the sun and heat than much darker metallic. If your trying to reduce heat and sun go ceramic, the only reason I would go 3M or any other metallic would be if your main reason to get the tint is privacy.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:35 AM
scribbledpaper
the land of far, far away
I love my sunroof and use it a lot!!

Old 07-20-2008, 11:01 AM
amazonb
1st Gear
Originally Posted by richs10
I love the sunroof in my car. And, contrary to the opinion of some, I really like the versatility of the sun shade.

In other cars, the solid sun shade can only be used when the sunroof is closed. With the MINI shade, I can use the shade when I have the roof vented or even when it is completely open if the sun is too strong. IMO, it gives you more options and shades just right!
I feel like the biggest dope...haven't even tried that!!!!
Oh yeah, love, LOVE my sunroof...couldn't imagine the car without it honestly.
When I was configuring Penelope, the SA was in disbelief that aside from a manual transmission, that was the only absolute I had to have on the car...

Old 07-20-2008, 11:23 AM
Bananas
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
Sunroof is especially fun when you have a full roof graphic. People don't notice it and are surprised when the graphic actually moves.
I looove that roof graphic! Very nice!

Old 07-20-2008, 06:31 PM
CarolinaCooper
4th Gear
[quote=JudgeS;2374791]Ceramic tint is much better, 3M is just a good brand of metallic tint along the lines but no better than Formula one, Solarguard, or Lumar. In-fact many would argue 3M is not quite as good those.

Now there are two makers of ceramic tint that I know of Huper Optik and Formula One (pinnacle series), I've only seen Huper in person, but from what I hear it is the better of the two (and a bit thicker), but I dont think you will go wrong with either. Search either web site to find an authorized dealer .... quote]

Johnston and Madico also offer ceramic tint. Mine is Johnston--about $100 more for ceramic vs. metallic tint here where I live. Hot down here, and worth the extra $

Old 07-20-2008, 06:33 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bananas
I looove that roof graphic! Very nice!
Thanks ! Checkered roof would look great on Laser Blue, too !

Old 07-20-2008, 07:20 PM
dhoosee
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sunroof all the way! Doesn't stick, doesn't rattle, doesn't leak. NOT too hot!

This was a MUST-HAVE option for ol' Onslow!

Old 07-21-2008, 07:06 AM
Anthony314
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JudgeS
Ceramic tint is much better, 3M is just a good brand of metallic tint along the lines but no better than Formula one, Solarguard, or Lumar. In-fact many would argue 3M is not quite as good those.
thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

Old 07-21-2008, 07:34 AM
05Greenie
4th Gear
I love having not one sunroof, but 2 sinroofs...my kids absolutely love the rear sunroof. They check out cloud formations, birds flying by and when it rains they are mesmorized.
I recently applied union jack graphics that help cut down on sun penetration.

Attached Thumbnails Sunroof lovers only-dscn4450.jpg   Sunroof lovers only-dscn4453.jpg   Sunroof lovers only-dscn4452.jpg  
Old 07-23-2008, 08:16 AM
Spectral Glider
2nd Gear

That's pretty freakin cool. I almost ordered the sunroof checkerboard but when I saw it in person, I wasn't as thrilled cause I didn't think it looked as good as a whole roof graphic. Where'd you get that done?

Old 07-23-2008, 08:33 AM
deafbuzz
2nd Gear

Besides....

If you open both windows and the sunroof all the way, it almost feels like you're driving one of these...

d@mn it! i love how your garage, floor & wall match your mini and sunroof.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:34 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by deafbuzz
d@mn it! i love how your garage, floor & wall match your mini and sunroof.
Wow, Extension Cord and Wheelbarrow too

Defining NEAT!

Quick Reply: R56 Sunroof lovers only