R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 What information does the key fob contain?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 02:18 AM
ellinara
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What information does the key fob contain?

So what information is really contained in the fob???

Old 07-20-2008, 03:21 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Rumers are that it can show the SA your max speed/rpm. Can anyone verify this? Of course, we've heard this for some time (even on earlier models), and maybe it's just a threat they hold over us. Name:  rolleye0010-1.gif
Views: 33
Size:  1.7 KB

It DOES show what service bulletins are due for your particular VIN.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:31 AM
mysticturner
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
"Contained" is a tricky word. The fob has burned into it a security number that is unique to the fob. It also stores a copy of lots of data from the car. When you start the car, the key transmits it's number in, and the car says 'I know that key number, I'll let it start me up'. If you get a new key, there's a procedure to tell the car that there's a new key number to allow for.

As to the copy of the data from the car - it may take several posts to get all of the info, but here some that I'm pretty sure is in it.

VIN
Last stereo settings listened to by this driver.
Mileage
Mileage until service
I'm pretty sure any error codes are copied there as well

Old 07-20-2008, 03:32 AM
mysticturner
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Rumers are that it can show the SA your max speed/rpm. Can anyone verify this? Of course, we've heard this for some time (even on earlier models), and maybe it's just a threat they hold over us.

It DOES show what service bulletins are due for your particular VIN.
It doesn't show the TSB's, it just has the VIN and the SA's computer goes online to look up the TSB info.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:48 AM
SmokeM
5th Gear
I know it stores all your settings, from lights to locks. I spent the last day programming all the setting in one of my key fobs. Then I spend the other day doing the same thing to the other one.

Well, not really a whole day but you get the idea .

Oh, as far as flight data information, you better believe they store all sorts of stuff, maybe not so much in the fob but in the ECU. Its funny no dealer ever thought to personalize the fob. It would be cool to have the Car greet me then tell me the day, date and time when I fire up the car.

Last edited by SmokeM; 07-20-2008 at 03:54 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:58 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SmokeM
I know it stores all your settings, from lights to locks. I spent the last day programming all the setting in one of my key fobs. Then I spend the other day doing the same thing to the other one.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that indispensable capability! I also like the fact that chips make a car thief work a lot harder. Not that he can't drag it off, but I don't think you can even hot wire a chipped car, can you?

Old 07-20-2008, 04:15 AM
SmokeM
5th Gear
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that indispensable capability! I also like the fact that chips make a car thief work a lot harder. Not that he can't drag it off, but I don't think you can even hot wire a chipped car, can you?
If they want it, they will take it. The only thing you can do it make it harder for them.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:21 AM
Warped1966
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope it doesn't store the top speed! I'm well past break-in but um... My dealer might question my sanity!

Old 07-20-2008, 05:41 AM
ellinara
4th Gear
No you can't hot wire a car with a "chip" in it.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:38 AM
Sowellman
6th Gear
The fob also contains information on your last five drive-through purchases.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:00 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SmokeM
If they want it, they will take it. The only thing you can do it make it harder for them.
That's why I mentioned "drag it off." Can't beat a tow truck, BUT, it's just not as easy as it used to be. That, along with the high cost of a new fob, and the requirement that you provide proof of ownership before replacement (or so I've heard).

Every month Houston's police department releases a list of the 10 most stolen vehicles. I think June's list was solely populated by '90's cars and pickups. You can hot wire them, and parts are in demand = max risk.

The gas crunch might change the odds for MINIs, but I would expect the more common small cars would be more at risk.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:01 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Sowellman
The fob also contains information on your last five drive-through purchases.
Gee, will my SA deny warranty coverage because I parked at Wally World a couple of weeks ago???

Old 07-20-2008, 02:05 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Gee, will my SA deny warranty coverage because I parked at Wally World a couple of weeks ago???
It depends on whether you bought non-approved motor oil while you were there.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:15 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Nope, but their toothpaste is cheaper. And their vitamins, to which Hubby is addicted.

In my defense, twice I've parked next to or near another MINI. One was a dead ringer of mine, and I walked up to the owners of the other one. I caught them as they got out of the car--looked just like the folks who drive the battered pickups littering the lot. They turned out to be nice people, though--thoroughly enthusiastic and enjoying their mid-life crisis toy.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:00 PM
mslatter
4th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
My Lexus has a button to quickly filter the in-cabin air. I'm glad it doesn't track that, because if my service tech knew how I often I pushed it, he send me to get my colon checked.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:02 AM
matty125
5th Gear
so what about those who use comfort access? Does the car store info on last drive? I only use my fob on average once a month,so little in fact that the dealer has to go to the car to put it in just to get a recent idea, surely Id do this for him, I just forget. I too am curious about if it records speed....

Old 07-21-2008, 12:25 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by matty125
b I only use my fob on average once a month
Are you saying you only drive your car once a month? If you drive it more often, you ARE using the fob--you just don't have to hold it in your hand the way the rest of us do.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:06 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nope, but their toothpaste is cheaper. And their vitamins, to which Hubby is addicted.
Is that the Chinese toothpaste with special lead additives to give your teeth that pewter look? What you save at wally world you will pay in taxes for social services used by their underpaid employees.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:04 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Does the fob actually store the information in it or does the car just recognize the fob and retrieve all the settings (radio, lights, etc) from the cars onboard memory, having 2 different "saved" files for each fob it detects?

Old 07-21-2008, 08:31 AM
Noegel
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Is that the Chinese toothpaste with special lead additives to give your teeth that pewter look? What you save at wally world you will pay in taxes for social services used by their underpaid employees.
The Wal-Mart here the employees get paid between $8.50-$13.00 an hour starting....

Pretty damn good for an entry level "minimum wage" job. I got $6.50 at Chick-Fil-A.... but they have good sandwiches.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:43 AM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
Does the fob actually store the information in it or does the car just recognize the fob and retrieve all the settings (radio, lights, etc) from the cars onboard memory, having 2 different "saved" files for each fob it detects?
Both it seems. There's customisation between drivers (radio lights etc) which is just the car recognising which key is in use. But there's also the service information which the service advisor can get at. It tells them at least what the mileage is, probably the service indicators, and what else is up for speculation.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:54 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Not sure where I stand in "where is it stored" debate, but I do know that the dealers can access your service information -- the "medical history" of the car, not just last service/next service -- via the fob. Also the warranty info, and vehicle origination info.

One of my soldiers a few years back found an article for me on the specialized billboards in certain cities in the US -- the MINI billboards recognized / received a signal from the key in the car (or the car itself?) and flashed personalized greetings to the drivers. According to the article, the personal data was gathered (and approved by the owner) from the initial-purchase paperwork. The billboards said something like, "How's it cooking, Katie?" -- if Katie was a chef, etc. After that article, I never heard about the billboards again...Anybody else?

Old 07-21-2008, 09:10 AM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
The billboards said something like, "How's it cooking, Katie?" -- if Katie was a chef, etc. After that article, I never heard about the billboards again...Anybody else?
That was last year. Mini placed the billboards in Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco and some other larger cities for several months, but then decided against a larger rollout.

They probably got blamed for too many accidents as people were watching the billboards more than their driving. They were activated by a special fob that Mini sent select owners in those cities. They also had to supply some personal information about their job, their likes and such that could be used on the billboard.

The regular fob did not work for that.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:13 AM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
There was quite a discussion about this several months back. There was information that the fob also records information about driving style. If you're redlining your car or going beyond the limits, that information was thought to be recorded, as well.

Then if something breaks because of driver misconduct, the company could argue against warranty protection.

That's what we were told at the time, anyway.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:15 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
It's kind of funky to think of having that kind of "spy" in your pocket! I'd be in so much trouble....

Quick Reply: R56 What information does the key fob contain?