R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 FIRST POST! Placed Order Saturday - error on order and too late to change...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 03:04 PM
cosmosmpower
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a problem, glad to help. Looking forward to being part of the community. If it gives you any assurance, I'm used to this as far as performance goes and when I test drove the non sport package car I miss-took it for a sport package car, I couldn't even tell. It's 100% the run flat tires not the actual suspension.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:58 PM
tinker_06
4th Gear
Thanks - I feel better! (much better)

Reprobate, yep - Fermen it is. You have the same color mini PW/B and same interior. Do you have any photo's of the interior from the door open looking in? I'd love to see it!

Reprobate vbmenu_register("postmenu_2377806", true);
1st Gear

Old 07-21-2008, 04:15 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If this was posted, I missed it, sorry. But what was the color of MINI on your original order ??

Just curious.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Reprobate
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tinker_06
Thanks - I feel better! (much better)

Reprobate, yep - Fermen it is. You have the same color mini PW/B and same interior. Do you have any photo's of the interior from the door open looking in? I'd love to see it!
No, not yet. I don't expect deliver until the end of July, give or take a few days. Saw the interior on a floor model they had, but in a different exterior color. Saw the exterior on a Clubman they had on the lot, and put the two together in my imagination. I have never actually seen the combination in person.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:04 PM
tinker_06
4th Gear
CR&PW, I struggled with the car color! I placed the original order in the DS/DS, but kept thinking about the PW/B and the redwood leather.

Reprobate - how exciting! I saw the redwood in a black car there on Sat. People who bought it was picking it up. I KNEW I wanted the redwood leather and I think it is going to look fantastic with the PW!

Old 07-21-2008, 06:17 PM
swflaboy
4th Gear
Robin, I am in FL and I signed a Non-Refundable paper that clearly states my $1000 is non-refundable....
SW Florida? Me too...Sarasota. Was wondering if you were at Ferman Mini of Tampa Bay? I was there on Sat to see some options in person before I finalized my order. I had a very uncomfortable 1 1/2hrs with a sales person there and the 4 big reasons I will not be buying from them:

1. $598 Dealer Prep fee.....complete BS
2. $1000 non-refund. security deposit (repeated 4 times during my 1 1/2hrs)
3. Horibble experience with sales person (deserves it's own post)
4. All the bad comments on these forums -vs- all the good ones about Downtown Mini in Orlando.

I have no issue with the security deposit, really. If I put $$ down on a car and know that I will wait for it to be built....then I am buying it when it comes in. However, I know I have read here that at many other dealerships you are not obligated to take delivery.

My other issue was....I was on the fence about waiting for an '09. He told me no, only taking orders for '08 (build week 32). I said fair enough I need to sleep on it. When he thought he was losing the sale...he then said...well, you might get "lucky" and get an '09. What is that? Either you have slots left for '08 and know nothing about '09 orders (that's what he initially said) or you don't. I left at that point deciding this was not a dealership I wanted to do biz with.

Best of luck to you. Seems to me they would not hold you to the $1000 non-refund deposit if you buy another car from them but.....??

Eric

Old 07-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Robin, I am in FL and I signed a Non-Refundable paper that clearly states my $1000 is non-refundable. The dealer has already let me change the previous order that quickly went into production. (I ordered 1st order on Friday and Sat. it was locked). I thought that they were pulling me a fast one saying they couldn't change it, but I was right there and he was showing me the dealer screen where the order was locked by Mini, and could not be modified. They are receiving the car I first ordered, and I placed a new order and somehow - the suspension got on it. Again, this order moved immediately into production! I even called ask mini and it says it is "in production with no date yet".

So really - I either keep it, and change out the tires or lose the $1000 and reorder a new one (which would be a 2009 now and a longer wait since the dealer is out of MCS). so that's where I am at now....
I'm sorry, I didn't realize that this would be the second one you refused. Now I understand the situation. You're right, you really should stick with this one.

Get it, drive it and see what you think. If you find the ride too harsh, you have some options. There are several things that will be contributing to the harshness.
1. Runflat tires have a stiffer sidewall than standard tires.
2. The 17" wheels have a shorter sidewall to absorb bumps.
3. Stiffer swaybars will make the ride harsher.
4. Heavy wheels have more inertia than lighter wheels. The greater inertia tends to transfer force more through the suspension, affecting the ride.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:30 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
CR&PW, I struggled with the car color! I placed the original order in the DS/DS, but kept thinking about the PW/B and the redwood leather.
I like your choice. Classic color and that interior will be stunning !

And you called me by my old name.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:44 PM
tinker_06
4th Gear
SWflaboy, I am in Venice and yes - we went with Ferman's in St. Pete. I suppose we could have traveled further.. but looking online through MiniUSA - Ferman had the most inventory. We were there Saturday too.... LONG WAIT just to make the color change, but the salesman did spend a lot of time with us the first day we went and looked (I think it was Wednesday) No hard pressure, and after reading the this forum and contacting a dealer in Ft Lauderdale, it's apparent that they were not going to budge on any price and Ft. Lauderdale said that they usually charge a $1500 fee on top of MSRP. I just checked my paperwork because I didn't recall a "Dealer Prep. Fee".. it's not there. There is a Document fee (normal if I recall) sales tx and title, plus the car. They threw in carpet floor mats and a lic. frame I wanted. So did you end up going to Orlando? Did they have much inventory on the lot - because from the website - it looked like they only had a few.

Robin, yes - as you can see - I put myself into a bind by NOT double checking things. I was so focused on the color - I didn't realize the suspension got ordered. All and all I did get the sunroof, tires and suspension for just $700 more then my original order without those items. I may never notice the "feel" and if I do, at least I know I have options and the first thing I will try is reg. tires.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:46 PM
tinker_06
4th Gear
so sorry CR&PW&JB!!

Old 07-21-2008, 07:18 PM
tinker_06
4th Gear
Oh one other "possible mistake" I may have made (as I read this forum)...

when I placed the first order for car #1, and then cancelled it - the salesman told me that his manager didn't really want to to this because it didn't have a sunroof in it. (I can't recall seeing a sunroof on the cars in the lot). I didn't want a sunroof, because I have one in my current car, and NEVER use it. He said for resale, it makes a big difference. So, thinking ahead for resale - I added it. Now reading about the sunroof I think I will be very HOT here in Fl with the way it is constructed. I never realized it is only a mesh screen that covers it and that it actually doesn't close. Oh boy....

Old 07-21-2008, 08:16 PM
swflaboy
4th Gear
All in all it sounds to me like you had a pretty good experience with Ferman. I wish I had some wisdom to share with you but I don't. I can't imagine that the sport suspension would be a deal breaker for me but yes, those run flats can be a bit firm. Given the smooth, flat roads were have here, I think it should be ok.

The sun roof was one of the options that I went to look at. I have to say it's the nicest one I have encountered but will not be choosing it for the same reasons you didn't on the first order. I was set to order it but after driving one I decided it was too much glass and too little control of all that light coming in.

Now I am just waiting to place an order for an '09.

added: No did not drive to Orlando. Waiting to order '09. Don't really care if it is Orlando or one of the Miami/Lauderdale dealerships. Just want it for MSRP. Have to be out of state for 3 weeks so will wait or do via email/fax.

Last edited by swflaboy; 07-21-2008 at 08:25 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 07-21-2008, 08:58 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
<...>when I placed the first order for car #1, and then cancelled it - the salesman told me that his manager didn't really want to to this because it didn't have a sunroof in it. (I can't recall seeing a sunroof on the cars in the lot). I didn't want a sunroof, because I have one in my current car, and NEVER use it. He said for resale, it makes a big difference. So, thinking ahead for resale - I added it. Now reading about the sunroof I think I will be very HOT here in Fl with the way it is constructed. I never realized it is only a mesh screen that covers it and that it actually doesn't close. Oh boy....
No doubt because they had all been sold...

Don't think I would ever add an option just for resale purpose,
considering that 'options' typically depreciate at twice the level of the basic car.

I was lucky that when I telephoned Furman, Oliver Morris answered and after a three hour drive
he was there to give the best 'auto-buying' experience that I have had yet.

As a long-time Florida 'West-Coaster', we have learned to be careful with the Florida 'East-Coast' Auto Dealers
(think they invented "Low-Balling").

I use and love that Sunroof and found that the factory tint and roll screens give plenty of sun protection,
I run it open and the A/C keeps the car cold.

As you know from here, there are many options for you to further protect if you should feel the need.

It looks like you have one very fine automobile to look forward to, buyers remorse is a very common ailment,
but you should be cured long before you hit that Skyway Bridge.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Calmante
3rd Gear
Oh one other "possible mistake" I may have made (as I read this forum)...

when I placed the first order for car #1, and then cancelled it - the salesman told me that his manager didn't really want to to this because it didn't have a sunroof in it. (I can't recall seeing a sunroof on the cars in the lot). I didn't want a sunroof, because I have one in my current car, and NEVER use it. He said for resale, it makes a big difference. So, thinking ahead for resale - I added it. Now reading about the sunroof I think I will be very HOT here in Fl with the way it is constructed. I never realized it is only a mesh screen that covers it and that it actually doesn't close. Oh boy....
Tinker, after reading your posts... Next time you fall in love with a car, maybe this is stuff you probably should discuss before actually ordering it?

Last edited by Calmante; 07-21-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:49 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
Pilotart, that's good to hear about the sunroof.

Calmante, of course it would have made more sense for me to research more before hand in retrospect, but as I mentioned, I am typically not a car person - could have cared one way or another, just as long as it looked somewhat "nice" and drove somewhat nice. Saw, drove and wanted a Mini right then and there! I got overexcited, purchased and THEN found this site and started reading. I feel I KNOW the Mini much more today then I did 5 days ago.... and I really didn't think that I wouldn't even have less then 24 hours to change something. So it is what it is... or I cancel and lose the $1000 and start again.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:01 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
so sorry CR&PW&JB!!
No worries, I thought it was funny, especially given you weren't even on the board when I used that name.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:19 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
I just canceled the order. I did the math and I can order the 2009 without the sports suspension and 17" wheels and sunroof for $2000 less. I am not sure if my dealer will take the new order and not charge me the $1000 or not. We'll see...

However, swflboy, I also called Orlando and they require a $1000 deposit which IS REFUNDABLE. Wish I knew that as it would have been worth the extra time driving there.

We'll see...

Old 07-22-2008, 08:58 AM
Calmante
3rd Gear
It's important that you're happy with your order, but since you're ordering an 09 now, why don't you give it a little time to sit. You won't get it any faster, so you can take your time to think about all of these options before you move ahead.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:09 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
Calmante, I plan to do exactly that! I was just thinking about all my previous cars... I just never cared and this car seems very important to me! I want to get it right.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:49 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
UPDATE: Dealer is willing to allow me to re-order a 2008 and I feel comfortable with a 2008 since they are only taking 2009 orders with no build or delivery dates yet.

Anyway, I have it down pat... removing the sunroof, sports suspension and 17" tires. Should be perfect.

Here she is:

• PW/B
• Convenience Pkg
• white turn signals
• DSC
• Front/back fog lamps
• Xenon Headlamps
• 16" Bridge Spoke Wheels
• Automatic AC
• Lounge Leather Redwood
• Anthracite Headliner
• Leather Sports Wheel w/multifunction
• Rear Park Distance Control
• Navigation System

This is final.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:08 PM
Calmante
3rd Gear
It sounds gorgeous, Tinker... Now, for the love of John, "Let it Be!"

Old 07-23-2008, 12:27 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Calmante
It sounds gorgeous, Tinker... Now, for the love of John, "Let it Be!"
You're telling a tinker to "let it be"?

Old 07-23-2008, 04:04 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
LOL. done.. really I am! (but should I have added HiFi??!! LOL)

Old 07-23-2008, 04:32 AM
swflaboy
4th Gear
LOL. done.. really I am! (but should I have added HiFi??!! LOL)
So happy you got it all worked out. Love the PW/B. That's how I am going to order my lil tatertot. Regarding the Hi-FI, after hearing both and researching here, I have decided that I would rather save the $500 and do an aftermarket upgrade.

Will let you know how it goes with Orlando.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:26 AM
Scoopmama
6th Gear
Glad you were able to re-order and get exactly what you want! It sounds wonderful!

Quick Reply: R56 FIRST POST! Placed Order Saturday - error on order and too late to change...