R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 I think my hoodscoop melted

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 02:47 PM
fronjoni
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
if you read the TSB texts on lots of them, they say only do something if the customer complains. This would be a perfect solution here. also, the $80 offset delta may be a way to keep customers happy.

As for the dealer stepping up to make the customer happy, remember they bill Mini USA for all the plastic scoops they replace under warranty (For the labor too) and eat the upgrade cost themselves if they do it for free. So the money comes from a different pocketbook! Remember, the dealers aren't owned my MINIUSA....

Matt
at the very least then, the dealer should offset the cost, and that is something i would be comfortable accepting...i can understand, especially for universal mini which has a small markup over msrp to absorb such a cost....BUT, what i wont accept is another plastic replacement

the thing of it is....this dealership REALLY gives off a vibe that the CUSTOMER is the guilty one...before you even get a chance to explain what has happened, they just make you feel uncomfortable being there or even asking for something....ive been to tons of different dealerships and none of them have ever been so stingy discouraging

Old 09-02-2008, 03:48 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Oh, I agree with you. The dealers probably don't mind the extra warranty work. I was aiming at MINI itself. If they have to replace enough of them, I think they will do something.

Heck, I'd be satisfied if MINI would just tell me whether I can use the aftermarket turbo wrap. I might even pay for it myself just to not have to worry about the issue anymore. I'm easy!

Old 09-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Dead Ringer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by richs10
Heck, I'd be satisfied if MINI would just tell me whether I can use the aftermarket turbo wrap. I might even pay for it myself just to not have to worry about the issue anymore. I'm easy!
I just found myself looking at my scoop yesterday and noticed a small dip. 10 minutes later I had the WMW turbo wrap on order. I will take the clubman in this week to see what the dealer (BMW of North Scottsdale) will do to either replace it or credit me some money for the upgraded CF scoop (or throw in the CF scoop ). Not to sure I want the CF, since I am not trying to change the look that much, but I dont want to worry about it melting anymore. I think the wrap will take care of it, and also keep the hot side of the turbo "hot" which helps the turbo be more efficient.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:29 PM
pillar
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the regular oem hoodscoops comes into the dealer unpainted. im sure you could ask them to paint it chili red to look as stock as possible...

Old 09-29-2008, 09:16 PM
kasaky
1st Gear
Hey guys. I just got mine replaced. It might be a load of crap but the guy at the dealership´s repair shop told me that the hood scoop came screwed in way too tightly from the factory which along with the heat caused the deformation. so, a fix so cheap and easy it might be worth trying: try to unscrew the hood scoop a little.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:13 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Any updates? I'm still waiting to get mine replaced, at least until I need to go in for service. Anyone have any luck getting a discount for the CF scoop?

Old 10-06-2008, 04:34 PM
MakoBimmer
4th Gear
I now have hoodscoop paranoia thanks to this thread. Im checking it after each drive now... HELP!

Mine gets REAL hot but has not melted yet. It has had plenty of opportunities to melt seeing that I drove a few days for 8 to 10 hours @ a time with few breaks.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:16 PM
CLAG
3rd Gear
mine has started melting ... kinda wavy along the top.

planning a talk with the dealer during the first service.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:35 PM
FlyingZ06
3rd Gear
no problems here on either mini

Old 10-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by MakoBimmer
I now have hoodscoop paranoia thanks to this thread. Im checking it after each drive now... HELP!

Mine gets REAL hot but has not melted yet. It has had plenty of opportunities to melt seeing that I drove a few days for 8 to 10 hours @ a time with few breaks.
Driving continuously is not the problem, it's when you stop and there's no airflow. The heat seems to build up right under the scoop. I put a self-adhesive heat blanket under the scoop area and am waiting for my M-7 Heat Shield to get there this week. I shouldn't have any melting after that, not that I have any now...

Old 10-21-2008, 07:54 AM
chad1140
3rd Gear
I just hope mini gets to the bottom or top of things....sorry couldn't resist

Old 10-21-2008, 04:00 PM
MrTIer
3rd Gear
okay OOOOOOOOOOKAKY, THATS IT!....while getting some work done to my car this weekend, i noticed that after only a few weeks, my scoop has ONCE again DIPPED!

ao;sidjtg;.kahbewfghba.kgljunharesqtg
Exactly the reason I bought the M7 heatshield. Yes, mini should fix it. Will they, probably not! Doing so admits fault and costs money. I don't want to go to the dealer and deal with this issue at all.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:47 PM
rwwilsonjr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RVExotics
Just checked my scoop after reading this thread and sure enough, there's a slight droop offset from the middle. It's definitely not supposed to be there since it isn't symmetrical. I'm honestly not sure when this developed as I've had my car since January and have driven it about 15,500 mi+ since, so it could've been recently or within the first few weeks. I'll be curious to keep an eye on it and see if it gets any worse. I had already been considering replacing it with the cf scoop and this may give me the impetus to do so. The only problem is the same to which fron alluded - once you start, it might be hard to stop! Scoop, mirrors, boot lid, door handles...etc.
I've had my MCS for approximately six months and the scoop warped within two months of my taking delivery. It hasn't deformed any further.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:36 PM
georgia7377
2nd Gear
mine is 2 months old and there is a small dip in the center. dealer said they can replace but it will most likely happen again. he said to call periodically to see if they have found a resolution, or a recall. I will take it in when it gets worse. Such a waste of time going down there.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:51 PM
Ken G.
4th Gear
Bought the M7 shield and noticed that the two "empty" holes that M7 said would be there are now filled with two of the three bolts that are holding the stock heatshield in place. I don't feel like removing 2/3's of the bolts holding that in place, so I'm going to see if there enough threads on the M7 bolt to allow me to place a nut on it, so I can tighten the nut down on the stock shield when the M7 bolt is holding down the M7 shield.

BTW: got my own scoop replaced and all is well. No warping yet, and now with slightly cooler weather, I don't expect any warping until next summer. From my experience, the scoop is only slightly too sensitive to heat and it takes an excessively hot day AND a hot engine to get the scoop to warp.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:22 AM
rwwilsonjr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by georgia7377
mine is 2 months old and there is a small dip in the center. dealer said they can replace but it will most likely happen again. he said to call periodically to see if they have found a resolution, or a recall. I will take it in when it gets worse. Such a waste of time going down there.
Yep...I've got to get mine into the dealer as well. Been putting that headache off. I've been tryin to ignore the warped hood scoop by not looking at it too much.