R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 '08 MCS week in review...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 01:56 PM
melman8r
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 MCS week in review...

I picked up my MCS last Friday, here's my initial thoughts:
1. The HIFI stereo isn't worth the $$.
2. The backseat is worthless, save the expense and extra weight-eliminate it.
3. The shift **** is too big.
4. I wish I got navigation.
5. Handling is phenomenal, better than my Shine Real Street VW GTI setup.
6. My suspension mods will consist of eliminating the minimal body roll and lean by installing a rear sway bar and powerflex bushings. I might replace springs with JCW springs if they are in fact linear.
7. The runflats are too damn noisy, engine is loud too. Direct injection certainly has it ups and down.
8. Gas mileage is fantastic- KMA OPEC. MINI has the answer to high oil prices. The USA should sell grain to the Sandbox countries for the price of a barrel of oil. After all, grain is in short suppply, the floods in the Midwest and production of ethanol certainly should have the market price on the upswing.
9. Lastly, the car is a BLAST and plan fun to drive. I would recommend one to anyone that should ask.
10. Oh yeah, the Xpel is worth the price, no chips, dings or paint inperfections on my CoopaH.
11. Rubber floormats squirm around more than a nightcrawler on the end of a fish hook. Poor design.
No, I didn't take pictures and I haven't named it either.

Last edited by melman8r; 07-22-2008 at 05:31 PM. Reason: added item
Old 07-22-2008, 02:35 PM
geekswrath
5th Gear
1. The HIFI stereo isn't worth the $$.

Agree, but you get tweeter locations and all you really need to do is upgrade the speakers

2. The backseat is worthless, save the expense and extra weight-eliminate it.

Yep, you have to lay across it if you're an adult, but it does give me a place to store my laptop bag and other motoring necessities.

3. The shift **** is too big.

Maybe not too big as the material just feels cheap, fixed by going Whalen!

4. I wish I got navigation.

Me too, but not for the price, got a Garmin and a Kuda for mine.

5. Handling is phenomenal, better than my Shine Real Street VW GTI setup.
6. My suspension mods will consist of eliminating the minimal body roll and lean by installing a rear sway bar and powerflex bushings. I might replace springs with JCW springs if they are in fact linear.
7. The runflats are too damn noisy, engine is loud too. Direct injection certainly has it ups and down.

As soon as I kill the tires I'm going aftermarket wheels and non-runflat tires. I like the engine sound, needs a better intake though.

8. Gas mileage is fantastic- KMA OPEC. MINI has the answer to high oil prices. The USA should sell grain to the Sandbox countries for the price of a barrel of oil. After all, grain is in short suppply, the floods in the Midwest and production of ethanol certainly should have the market price on the upswing.

Amen!

9. Lastly, the car is a BLAST and plan fun to drive. I would recommend one to anyone that should ask.

Yes, and I do!

10. Oh yeah, the Xpel is worth the price, no chips, dings or paint inperfections on my CoopaH.

Glad to hear you are enjoying, happy motoring!

Old 07-22-2008, 02:36 PM
greystone
3rd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Comments:

#2 how do you save expense by eliminating the rear seat? You're going to drve it with no seat or cover for the trunk, and the uncarpeted unibody exposed?

#4 I kind of agree, then I remember it was $2k.

#8 Gas mileage is good, but it's not incredible. I'm seeing low 30's combined, we need better averages than this to address fuel consumption issues.

Congrats on the car.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:39 PM
scruffylooking
3rd Gear
2: I disagree. I use my backseat all the time with kids and adults. Granted, we're all under six feet tall. So if you're tall, then, I can see that being less useful.

3: I like it. Fits in my big hands.

4: Me too, but it was so expensive!

9: Me too. I should go on commission with MINI USA. I've already sold someone on one in the two months I've been an owner.