R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Front Plate?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 03:01 PM
thejokell
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually don't have to worry too much about the Chesapeake city cops. The company I work for does a lot for the local force, and I have a personal relationship with the precinct Captains and the Chief. One phone call and that no front plate ticket goes away.

Outside of Chesapeake is another matter, though.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:39 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by eR1c

...what happened to your plate? looks like it was run over several times then mounted to your car. It's all creased and dented???
The plate became intimately aquainted with a dirt bank. It was crumpled up like aluminum foil. The body shop straightened it, but it looked horrible. I Photoshoped the plate to hide the number. Since that photo, I've been to the DMV and have new plates.

I had made the mistake of braking while entering a decreasing radius S curve a bit too fast. Rear came around quicker than a Chevy Corvair. I corrected, it came around the other way, ran out of room and hit a dirt bank. There was still momentum in the car and it tipped over on the driver's side.

It is just back after two months of insurance company screwups -- they sent it to a salvage yard, even though it wasn't totaled, and it was difficult to get released. Then onto a body shop that MINI of Mountain View uses and recommends. They did a superb job. It now looks as good as new, if not better.

Except for the intercooler, and a plastic brace for the radiator, the damage was all cosmetic, but covered many panels. Needed a new front bumper, air dam, wheel arches, windshield, door, intercooler, side mirror, and two wheels. The front, bonnet, driver's side, and roof had to be repainted.

How it looks now:

Old 07-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Noegel
5th Gear
Can't even tell! Nice job, they did!

Old 10-24-2008, 01:28 PM
22CooperS
4th Gear
I live in Ohio and haven't had a front plate in 3 years on either of the cars I own. Had one cop give me a problem with it. Gave him a sob story- it worked. And this was a Statey!

"Sorry officer, I've been between work and school lately so much, I just haven't had time to put it on!"

"Just my luck! I actually have a front plate holder on order... what a time to get pulled over, right Officer? I'll put the plate on just as soon as the plate holder comes in!"

"The dealership didn't put one on... I don't know how to put one on!"

I guess if the dealership doesn't put one on, you can tell the cop that and get out of it... I work at a dealership and that's what I've been told! It's the dealership's fault, I guess, not the customers!

Don't drill into your bumper, please!

Old 10-24-2008, 03:02 PM
revray
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My state requires front plates, but so far, so good ... see below.

_

Old 10-27-2008, 02:56 AM
mattsenpai
4th Gear
I live in Texas where it is required to have a front license plate, but i notice that some people put their plate in the corner of the windshield on the dashboard.
Is that considered legal?

Old 10-27-2008, 04:47 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mattsenpai
I live in Texas where it is required to have a front license plate, but i notice that some people put their plate in the corner of the windshield on the dashboard.
Is that considered legal?
Whether or not it's legal, it is extremely dangerous. Anyone who puts a plate on the dash is a complete fool. In an accident it becomes a fast moving cutting edge. I would not get in a car that has a plate on the dash -- I don't want to be the one that gets decapitated.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:10 AM
mattsenpai
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RaceTripper
Whether or not it's legal, it is extremely dangerous. Anyone who puts a plate on the dash is a complete fool. In an accident it becomes a fast moving cutting edge. I would not get in a car that has a plate on the dash -- I don't want to be the one that gets decapitated.
Good point, and i'm one of those people who hate having loose articles in my car. I just hate the sound of stuff moving around in my car, OCD maybe?

Old 10-28-2008, 01:07 AM
jeremyjcw
1st Gear
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to run without a front plate in Utah, but I have been plateless on my last 5 cars.

Stupid Toyota service department installed a front plate on my FJ even though I told the salesman I did not want it on there. Doesn't look as bad on a truck, but still...

Old 10-28-2008, 01:18 PM
andcbii
1st Gear
I live Illinois and by law i should have a front plate but i think they make the car look like crap. I've had my car for a year now, with no front plate, and have yet to get a ticket. I have no plans on getting a front plate.

That being said i do know some one with a GTP that gets a lot of speeding tickets and every once in a while the cop will give him a no front plate ticket. When this happens he just goes to court with a photo shopped pix of his car with a plate on it and the judge throws out the ticket.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:33 PM
maacodale
4th Gear
Capt BJ is correct! Cops in SE VA will most assuredly pull you for a missing front plate. I had a state trooper make a U turn on the interstate one time to "warn" me to put the plate back on. I think the worst part was I put the bolts back in the holes. Kinda gave that away.

On my 07 MCS I have the GoMINI holder. Anyone have any experience with one from Moss Motors?

Old 10-28-2008, 06:29 PM
thejokell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by maacodale
Capt BJ is correct! Cops in SE VA will most assuredly pull you for a missing front plate. I had a state trooper make a U turn on the interstate one time to "warn" me to put the plate back on. I think the worst part was I put the bolts back in the holes. Kinda gave that away.

On my 07 MCS I have the GoMINI holder. Anyone have any experience with one from Moss Motors?
Haven't had an issue so far.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:39 PM
SkinnyMINI
2nd Gear
California requires it and I was going to get the front plate holder installed and even asked them to do it. But when I went to pick up my car, I realized they hadnt installed the front (only the back) and thought it looked cool so I didnt remind them to do it.

Ive had my car since the 4th of July weekend and havent had a single issue with it. Maybe the cops are busy catching real criminals....

I must admit, when a cop is coming towards me, i do get a little nervous. But nothing has come of it thus far..