R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Which Lounge Leather and Top Color with Astro Black???

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 02:40 PM
jimatvs
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Lounge Leather and Top Color with Astro Black???

This is my first post and I am a new mini-enthusiast - and very excited about both (Grt Car and Grt Board)!

I am specing out my order for my 1st Mini and I have pretty much decided on Astro Black and Lounge Leather. I am also pretty sold on the Piano Black interior.

My dilemma is twofold:
1) Should I go white or balck on top?
2) Which color Lounge Leather (and would a white or black top affect this decision)?

I live in S. Cal, so I'm not too worried about the heat and the black top or black interior - except for maybe a month or so in the summer.

I've lurked enough on this Board to know that it will come down to what feels right. With that in mind, I'm hoping some pros/cons/experiences with the combos might help me make up my mind...

Any help would be much appreciated. I hope to put my order in in August for end of year delivery (if all goes well).

Thx!!

Old 07-28-2008, 02:47 PM
roaduscarnivorous
5th Gear
lounge leather, is that the ribbed surface one w/ piping? if so, i prefer the reddish-brown one. i've seen in a few times and it looks SO good. and i'd get the contrast top color. i rarely see black ones and occasionally when i see a black/white one it looks superb

Old 07-28-2008, 02:51 PM
Dark Knight
3rd Gear
Go with black top and black interior. That is what I have, The Redwood Lounge is nice also. I saw it recently. I am going to have the windows tinted to keep the heat down.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:51 PM
jimatvs
2nd Gear
Road - wow that was a fast response - thx for your input. It is the one with piping.

Any thoughts/observations on whether the white top would make the Astro Black look more blue vs. black?

Old 07-28-2008, 02:54 PM
jimatvs
2nd Gear
Dark Knight - appreciate the input - nice pics! The blk/blk does look sharp. I'd want the windows tinted as well (more for the overall look). Did you go Gray on the interior door handles? Also, how do you like the anthracite headliner?

Old 07-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Eric (Plug Guy)
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went with Punch, which has a nice look to it, no real issues with interior vs exterior colors for top, white top and mirrors:

Old 07-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Another vote for Redwood Lounge Leather. Now wish I had ordered it.

I'd go for either a white roof, or body color. Depends whether you want the classic MINI look, or a more sinister look.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:42 PM
NSX JR
3rd Gear
I got astro black with body color everything, piano black, and punch carbon leather. I much prefer perforated leather, but that's just me!

I'd say pick what YOU like the best since it's your car, not ours

Old 07-28-2008, 06:45 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Black cars look drop dead gorgeous with red interiors, I'd go redwood without question. And its lounge leather or nothing, punch wasn't any better than leatherette IMHO.

Last edited by JudgeS; 07-29-2008 at 06:27 AM.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:32 PM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear
i think the white top makes this car look cheap. black all the way

Old 07-28-2008, 07:37 PM
Doc Cooper
3rd Gear
If you are gonna get Lounge Leather, I would get Redwood color. But that's just personal preference.

I couldnt fork up extra $1000 for the leather so i got Rooster red/cloth fake wanna be leather seats. heheheh Its good enough for me. ALways wanted red seats or accents in my car... I've had leather seats on all my cars before. They are great!! Wanted to try something different...

Old 07-28-2008, 08:19 PM
roaduscarnivorous
5th Gear
astro black does look a bit blue-ish 'cuz of the metallic bits, but i don't think the roof color will make it more or less so. plus, it only looks blue-ish under the sun

Old 07-29-2008, 06:18 AM
Noegel
5th Gear
White does not make the car look "cheap." Maybe not "badass," but it certainly does not look cheap.

I, of course, got the black roof. I loved it on the lot, and I'm sure I'll love it when it arrives.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:29 AM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have to get a different color roof, same color roofs are lame IMHO, so unmini. Can't understand why someone would say they look cheap, without it looks like every other car.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Eric5273
2nd Gear
I'd say you should go with one of the following combinations:

All black (including roof) and the red lounge leather with the black piping. (you may also want to think about the chrome package for both the interior and exterior if you go with this color combo)

OR

Black with white top/mirrors/wheels and the carbon black lounge leather with the white piping.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:54 PM
jimatvs
2nd Gear
Thx

Thx everybody for their input - it is definately valued and I really appreciate it!

Old 07-29-2008, 01:33 PM
dhoosee
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Eric5273
I'd say you should go with one of the following combinations:

All black (including roof) and the red lounge leather with the black piping. (you may also want to think about the chrome package for both the interior and exterior if you go with this color combo)

OR

Black with white top/mirrors/wheels and the carbon black lounge leather with the white piping.

Excellent combo's Eric. They both make sense and really would go together well.

IMHO, if you're going for a "classier" look, go with black/black and the Redwood lounge leather (also consider the matching redwood leather steering wheel and shift ****/boot for $465). Finally, have you considered English oak trim in lieu of the piano black trim?

If you're going for a "sportier" look, definitely go black/white roof /white mirrors with the black lounge leather & white piping (as stated by Eric).

The anthracite headliner makes the interior awfully dark, so if you like the sun and an airy-er feeling in the cabin, stick with the stock light-gray headliner. Try and see if your dealer has one on the lot with Anthracite. I sat in one and it convinced me to stick with stock.

I'm kinda kicking myself for not going with the Lounge Leather option. It wasn't a matter of $$$$, but I chose to go with the standard vinyl seats and am somewhat regretting it. They look nice and are GREAT to clean up with a damp cloth, but in the summer you WILL sweat in and stick to them if you are prone to sweat at all. In hindsight, I would probably have gone with the Redwood Lounge. It looks classy and sporty at the same time.

You can check my gallery for a few pics of the black/white combo with 16" wheels to see if you like the look.

Good luck with your decision. Whatever you go with, you wont regret it, as you will still be motoring in the coolest car on the road!

Old 07-29-2008, 01:45 PM
wandrur
Ordered my Astro Black with a black roof, too.

As for interior, I've never seen the red, though I think it would go well. I think the interior should remain rather subdued with the darker exterior color. Just my opinion. As far of a contrast as I was willing to go was a gray/black design. Good luck!

Old 07-29-2008, 02:53 PM
getting grey
2nd Gear
The Redwood red is a tough color to photograph, I have several shots in my gallery and none of them show the color just right. Spending what you will for it it would be worth finding one to sit in. Some people really love the color (me), others despise it. I have the matching shift boot and e-brake as well as english oak. Next to black on black this would look pretty dramatic. I also think that the world has way too many cars with black interiors.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:26 PM
jimatvs
2nd Gear
Eric - I think you put on paper what my thoughts have been converging towards - thx!

1) With the white roof - Not sure if I'd go white wheels (at $750 and a rougher ride from run flats), but I like the theme of Black and White carried throughout the car if I go with a white top. I'd also get the white turn signals and checkered flag side scuttle. I've thought about Sport Stripes, but not sure if I want to go down that path. I'm leaning towards chrome interior, but not exterior as I don't want to then pay for a fog light in the back, which I think you need if you have that package as it frames the area in chrome. I'm also not keen on the chrome mirrors with a white roof and the lower chrome on the front. In fact, I really like the blacked out look of the front top grill on the S.

2) With a black roof - I still like the white turn signals at $100. Maybe the redwooed red e-brake handle, although with an armrest, which I want, not sure if you'd even see it. I also would be getting an Auto (wife needs to be able to drive the car) so I can't tie in the redwood red shift boot. I wish they had a redwood red arm rest and door arm rest/lower dash color. As with a white roof, probably just the chrome interior.

Anyway, these are my latest thoughts...I'm sure tomorrow I'll be thinking about a Chili Red/Red Rooster combo

Old 07-29-2008, 04:29 PM
jimatvs
2nd Gear
dhoosee - thx for your thoughts & great pics! I like the strips...I've been thinking about them and oscillating back and forth. I'm a little worried they might get old after awhile... How do you like them (I notice you're still in the honeymoon period )

I still need to see the redwood red and anthracite headliner in person, which I plan to do very soon.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:30 PM
sarafil
4th Gear
I've seen all the combos and I think they all look great! Black/Black/Black, Black/Black/White, Black/Red/Black, and Black/Red/White (ext/int/roof).

A friend has Black/Red/Black and it looks great. I've also seen Black/Black/White with White Stripes, and the Creme color line inside, and it also looks phenomenal... has a great black & white theme going on.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:57 PM
jimatvs
2nd Gear
Sarafil - That's the problem - they all look great!

Originally Posted by sarafil
I've also seen Black/Black/White with White Stripes, and the Creme color line inside, and it also looks phenomenal... has a great black & white theme going on.
How closely does the Creme color line inside match the white stripes on the black/white leather. Here's a pic of the combo (with blue ext), but it is a little hard to tell the match off a pic anyway.

Last edited by jimatvs; 07-29-2008 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Insert image
Old 07-29-2008, 08:52 PM
Eric5273
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jimatvs
How closely does the Creme color line inside match the white stripes on the black/white leather.
They match exactly.

My car is PW/PW with the carbon lounge leather, but I decided to go with the dark grey color line as I think the cream armrests would get dirty very easily. I also got the chrome option as well. And the Mini Cosmopolitan floor mats also match very well as they have white piping as well.

Here is a pic of mine:

Old 07-29-2008, 09:19 PM
jimatvs
2nd Gear
Eric - Great pic! Thx for posting.

Good point on the creme armrests. Love the Mats!! Is your dash wood or piano black - a bit hard to tell from the pic on my computer.

Quick Reply: R56 Which Lounge Leather and Top Color with Astro Black???