R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 My R56: The Assassin

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 11:29 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My R56: The Assassin

Coming up on 4 months in my R56 and just did the first tire rotation. I love the car. The one thing I hate is the constant cleaning I have to perform on the windshield to get the assasinated bugs off.

Venting over. We now return to your regularly schedule program...

Old 07-29-2008, 11:54 AM
NashvilleMiniStan
5th Gear
Next time you at the gas station laugh at the other guy filling his SUV up and cleaning his windshield. Because you will be spending less and cleaning less because you have a MINI.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:09 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know about you guys, but I have less problems with the assasinated bugs on the windshield than I have with REALLY WEIRD and often HUGE bugs in strange places...like wedged into the fog light area....or in a corner of the sunroof....W*E*I*R*D!

They make windshield fluid specifically to eradicate the bodies of bugs assassinated...It really does help.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:14 PM
callahan00
5th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
I don't know about you guys, but I have less problems with the assasinated bugs on the windshield than I have with REALLY WEIRD and often HUGE bugs in strange places...like wedged into the fog light area....or in a corner of the sunroof....W*E*I*R*D!

They make windshield fluid specifically to eradicate the bodies of bugs assassinated...It really does help.
Oh you should have been in Cincinati the last time we had a Cicada infestation. I spent many an evening picking out the dead carcases from the hood scoop. And they said it was non-funtional.

I am just glad I don't have a convertible! when i drive I look like this:

It is hell picking wings, severed heads, legs and mangled bug-body parts out of your teeth!

Old 07-29-2008, 12:22 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Too true! Also why I don't have a cabrio! My parents live near Springboro (halfway between Dayton & Cinci), and I've been there for the "17-year cycle" of cicada. I HATED THAT TIME!!!! They called it a plague in the Bible for a reason!

Old 07-29-2008, 01:19 PM
claytonl
2nd Gear
I drive before the sun comes up every morning and I have found the Xenon headlights attract all sort of insects. Bright green bug guts really stand out on Astro Black.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:23 PM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
down here in south florida the dragon flies seem to get as big as birds. they sound like rocks hitting your car.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:27 PM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear
use rain-x washer fluid. the bugs won't stick has hard.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:04 PM
callahan00
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ENGINE 58
down here in south florida the dragon flies seem to get as big as birds. they sound like rocks hitting your car.
I used to live in Orlando and Clearwater. I remember how much fun the love bugs were in September and May...

Old 07-29-2008, 03:45 PM
tinker_06
4th Gear
oh the love bugs.. awful!!!!! They have to be the worst.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:46 PM
pillar
5th Gear
assassin bugs? the ones i meet are all kamakazi bugs!

Old 07-30-2008, 12:04 AM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
Originally Posted by ENGINE 58
That's just nasty! I'm glad to be in the Northwest.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:31 AM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Yeah down in South Florida there isn't a day that goes by without getting bug guts splattered all over the windshield.Has to be the more upright position of the windshield that makes it so vulnerable.
Those damn bugs are always trying to hitch a ride.

I never had such a bad problem with my former '06 Mustang GT.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:04 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
I had a june bug fly in the driverside window at about 75 mph. My first thought was I had been shot with a pellet rifle... or bigger. I had a nice welt on my cheeck for a few days.
Scared the beejeebees out of me.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:08 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 4xAAA
I had a june bug fly in the driverside window at about 75 mph. My first thought was I had been shot with a pellet rifle... or bigger. I had a nice welt on my cheeck for a few days.
Scared the beejeebees out of me.
Sorry...that's funny, ONLY because it's happened to me, too! OH, and hanging one's arm out the window (between shifting, of course)...only attracts the BIG ones! I got hit THREE times with bugs bigger than my thumbnail in a 30 minute period!! Scared the crap outta me!

Old 07-30-2008, 09:17 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
+1 for RainX. I use it on the windows and it makes it easier to remove bug guts. I swear, if I drive to the end of the driveway in reverse, the MINI windshield will have a couple of gnats commit suicide on it.

This is how Viola became my pale and tragic emo girl, that and having her random shuffle on the CD deck get stuck on Radiohead's "Ok Computer" for fully half of the six hour drive home...

Old 07-30-2008, 10:03 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
RandomGemini - aren't you and Viola the ones constantly planning to take over the world? If so, can you guys PLEASE do something about the kamikaze bugs?????

Old 07-30-2008, 10:43 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't have much trouble with bugs, but I came close to running down a mountain lion on my driveway awhile back.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:56 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
I don't have much trouble with bugs, but I came close to running down a mountain lion on my driveway awhile back.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:10 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
RandomGemini - aren't you and Viola the ones constantly planning to take over the world? If so, can you guys PLEASE do something about the kamikaze bugs?????
I'll talk to Viola and see if she can develop an electrical signal that will transmit feelings of love and devotion to bugs when ever they see a MINI. It will likely require the installation of a small device in your MINI, and of course, you'll have to sign over your entire life's savings to pay for it, which will, of course, go into Viola's fund for World Domination through MINI Motoring Love.

However, there will be no guarantees associated with said device because we cannot be sure that it won't inspire a sense of unrequited love, in which case, the suicide rates for insects that connect with MINI Cooper windshields might just increase, but I'm sure that playing the odds on this one will end in our favor.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RandomGemini
I'll talk to Viola and see if she can develop an electrical signal that will transmit feelings of love and devotion to bugs when ever they see a MINI.
That may already be the problem. Their enthusiasm for the MINI might be what is causing them to flock to it. You should develop some sort of long distance repellent. Hard to do with a MINI, I know, but if you are serious about world domination you should be able to manage.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:16 PM
krim
5th Gear
Not sure what I hit this morning, but it was large and blackish. Could've been a large june beetle or some kind of bumble bee. I saw it out of the corner of my eye and I thought it would miss my car like it would in my acura, but nope. Smacked right into my windshield with a sickening crack, tumbled on the roof once and was gone into the twilight.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:07 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
That may already be the problem. Their enthusiasm for the MINI might be what is causing them to flock to it. You should develop some sort of long distance repellent. Hard to do with a MINI, I know, but if you are serious about world domination you should be able to manage.
Ahhh... a fellow pure silver motorer... and you think like one too!

Perhaps the "through MINI Motoring Love" part of our plan is flawed. You see, initially, Viola had planned to have MINIs take over the world by showing everyone how much better they were than every other form of conveyance, but after those incidents with the bug guts, and then the bird... I'm thinking you may be on to something here. We'll just have to make sure the signal doesn't cross over to human beings... else the evil in our scheme might be exposed...

Old 07-30-2008, 05:17 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
you'll have to sign over your entire life's savings to pay for it, which will, of course, go into Viola's fund for World Domination through MINI Motoring Love.
Darn inflation!

I used to have these problems with swallows on my ride to and from work in Germany. Thought they could outrace me! A few lost...

Old 07-30-2008, 07:07 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
you'll have to sign over your entire life's savings to pay for it, which will, of course, go into Viola's fund for World Domination through MINI Motoring Love.
Or, a tank of gas.

Darn inflation!

I used to have these problems with swallows on my ride to and from work in Germany. Thought they could outrace me! A few lost...
Daredevil swallows are nothing to Kamikaze quail. I've seen them rush to throw themselves at the front of my Acura. They watch from the side of the road, and then run full speed into the road as I approach. Pressed Quail, anyone? Haven't had them come at the MINI, yet.

Quick Reply: R56 My R56: The Assassin