R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Until when can I cancel my order?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008 | 06:31 PM
orhanz33
|
1st Gear
Until when can I cancel my order?

My dealer told me I can cancel my order at any point up until the car goes into production when I placed my deposit. They also told me they had 2 allocation spots available, one of which they would give to me, I would have the car within 4-5 weeks.

It has now been 4 1/2 weeks and I just found out my car is not even in production yet. I called ASK MINI and they told me it's scheduled for production the second week of August (week 32). As much as I love the MINI, unfortunately I can't afford to wait another 4-5 weeks and am in need of a car. I don't know if I am willing to trust what the dealer will tell me when I go in to cancel my order so I'd like to ask your opinions. Can I cancel my order now and get my refund back?

Old 07-29-2008 | 07:34 PM
GaryCooper
1st Gear
deposit

I guess this depends on the dealership. I was thinking about cancelling my order at one point. Scheduled for week 33. I put down 1K, and called the dealership. I had already received a build number, but they told me that I would lose 1/2 of my deposit with a month to go before production. After July 18th, the last day to make changes, I would lose my entire deposit. As the time grows closer to production, I'm happy I stayed with it. You have to weigh the pro's and cons.

Old 07-29-2008 | 08:17 PM
dparaho
3rd Gear
cancel order

It's my understanding that you can cancel your order if the car is not yet in production however the status that the Owners Lounge gives you is not always entirely accurate. I ended up placing an order and then decided that it did not have some options I wanted so the dealer took the original car and sold as part of their allocation. I then ordered a second car which I'm picking up Thursday. Your MA should be able to give you specifics however. Have you talked to the dealer?

Old 07-29-2008 | 08:54 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
What state are you in? Some states have laws that require a full refund of your deposit if you cancel before you take delivery. California is one of them. Here you can inspect the car when it is ready for you to pick up, and reject it without losing your deposit.

Old 07-29-2008 | 09:00 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
full refund of your deposit if you cancel before you take delivery. California is one of them.
-yup, this is true.

For the other states, you can always cancel and lose your deposit ...my deposit was only $500. Sucks to lose, yet if you really don't want the car losing $500 is a lot better than buying a $30k car you don't want.

Old 07-29-2008 | 10:50 PM
orhanz33
|
1st Gear
i live in new jersey. i will call the dealer in the morning, but i just don't trust what they'll say. i e-mailed my "motoring advisor" last week for an update on my order but havn't recieved a response yet (didn't mention canceling in any way). i specifically went out of my way to the 3rd closest MINI dealer to me because these guys told me they had two allocation spots and i would have the car in about 4-5 weeks. they obviously did not have allocation, or at least no intent of giving me one of those spots. i guess i overlooked the fact that no matter how down to earth the "motoring advisors" seem, at the end of the day they are still car salesman trying to make a sale.

i don't mean to sound naive, i'm no newbie, didn't expect the car in 4-5 weeks, but this sounded like a good estimate to me. finding out that nearly 5 weeks after i ordered the car hasn't even made it to production is upsetting. i'm pretty dissapointed, was really looking forward to this MINI but unfortunately i can't afford to wait another 4, 5, 6 weeks.

Old 07-30-2008 | 03:34 AM
leicaguy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by orhanz33
My dealer told me I can cancel my order at any point up until the car goes into production when I placed my deposit. They also told me they had 2 allocation spots available, one of which they would give to me, I would have the car within 4-5 weeks.

It has now been 4 1/2 weeks and I just found out my car is not even in production yet. I called ASK MINI and they told me it's scheduled for production the second week of August (week 32). As much as I love the MINI, unfortunately I can't afford to wait another 4-5 weeks and am in need of a car. I don't know if I am willing to trust what the dealer will tell me when I go in to cancel my order so I'd like to ask your opinions. Can I cancel my order now and get my refund back?
Really try to hang in there. Find a way to make it work. It will be worth the wait!

Old 07-30-2008 | 04:11 AM
greystone
3rd Gear
Every state I've dealt with is required to refund deposits. Worst case you could refuse delivery based on concerns or "mistakes" in the order, but I can't see it needing to come to that. With the lack of Mini's available they should be able to sell your car to someone else very easily.

I will say that being in NJ you will get the car bout as fast as anyone in the US: 7 or 8 days to build and ship to Southampton, 7 days on a boat, a day or two at the dock and then at your dealer.

Old 07-31-2008 | 04:23 PM
inimini2007
6th Gear
What dealership?

I was in Morristown MINI and they had a 08 Mellow Yellow w/ White Top MCS, Red 09 JCW, and three 2005 certified MINIs (2 MCSs and 1 Cooper) about a week ago.

Someone walked out on the Mellow Yellow MCS.

Call the Sales Manager, ED.

Old 07-31-2008 | 04:31 PM
valthun
4th Gear
Regarding deposits and getting the amount back, check with your state if you choose to cancel. Since some states (CA) do not allow non-refundable deposits, if you choose to cancel an order where a deposit was placed the full amount will be refunded. States do vary so check with your state to determine what you can expect.

Old 07-31-2008 | 05:42 PM
JGS
3rd Gear
Depends on what you signed when you left your deposit, dosen't it?

...not what people tell you on here.

Old 09-24-2008 | 01:21 PM
mike and his mini
3rd Gear
Anyone know about the state of Florida. Currently my car is on the boat to the states and there may be a small chance I may have to cancel the order (I'm very sad, but life happens ). I put a 1000 dollar deposit down and wouldn't want to lose it over some timing issues at the moment, which I didn't see happening when I placed the order. Any help would be appreciate!

Old 09-25-2008 | 05:24 AM
swflaboy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mike and his mini
Anyone know about the state of Forida.........
While I do not know the law in Florida, the vehicle deposit form I signed at Ferman states that it is non-refundable. I asked that they amend the form to make the deposit refundable should they not be able to deliver the car by a certain date. They had no problem with that but said nobody had ever asked that before. The comments from my MA led me to believe that they would most likely refund the deposit if something were to arise. So you might just want to ask.

Old 09-25-2008 | 05:48 AM
Apple
6th Gear
Anyone know about the state of Florida. Currently my car is on the boat to the states and there may be a small chance I may have to cancel the order (I'm very sad, but life happens ). I put a 1000 dollar deposit down and wouldn't want to lose it over some timing issues at the moment, which I didn't see happening when I placed the order. Any help would be appreciate!
It's non refundable bought at downdown MINI

Old 09-25-2008 | 05:57 AM
zonedguy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by orhanz33
i live in new jersey.
When I ordered with Prestige their paperwork and verbal statements both verified that the deposit was fully refundable. I too was in need of a quick delivery and was insistent on my car coming in when they said it would (5-6 weeks). Thankfully it did.

Old 09-25-2008 | 06:11 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Cybergypsy
It's non refundable bought at downdown MINI
I live in Florida and my MA told me that I could have a full refund up to the time of delivery. As a matter of fact they didnt cash the check until I signed the final papers.

Old 09-26-2008 | 10:22 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
I see why they try to discourage anyone from cancelling. The last thing most of these dealers need is people coming in, spec'ing a car and pulling out at the last minute. I think if pushed, most would give back the deposit where state law does not require it. Cincinnati MINI clearly stated several times that the 1K deposit was non-refundable and I had to sign not only the build sheet but the statement in the order contract. Again, i think it is good business sense.

If you have to cancel beccause of financial reasons, I understnad. But if you have to canel just because you do not want to wait, then since you knew there was a long wait going in, I judge on the side of the dealer.

As far as waiting goes, mine was exactly 5 weeks. I spent my time reading everything I could find on NAM. It was shortly after my first time on NAM that I started having OCD fits because of not ordering rear fogs. After electro-shock treatments and many months of group therapy, i have learned to live with my car's disability.

Old 09-26-2008 | 12:14 PM
mike and his mini
3rd Gear
Well as of now, mine would be financial reasons. There has been a huge cutback in funding for Orange County where I work for the education system. This unfortunately cut back my hours and I ordered the car before the school year started. As of now I could get back up to full time or stay part time, it's up in the air. I just don't want to lose my 1000 if I no longer afford the car.

I ordered from downtown mini and I believe they are refundable (from what I remember they told me verbally). Overall though I hope things just work out and I don't have to. I"ll keep it posted...

Old 09-26-2008 | 12:30 PM
callahan00
5th Gear
Well as of now, mine would be financial reasons. There has been a huge cutback in funding for Orange County where I work for the education system. This unfortunately cut back my hours and I ordered the car before the school year started. As of now I could get back up to full time or stay part time, it's up in the air. I just don't want to lose my 1000 if I no longer afford the car.

I ordered from downtown mini and I believe they are refundable (from what I remember they told me verbally). Overall though I hope things just work out and I don't have to. I"ll keep it posted...
Well good luck. I think right now with the current state of the economy things are going to be getting tougher and tougher.

I used to live in Oviedo. I left about 8 years ago. As is always the case for me, I sold my house just before the big housing boom and the person I sold it to realized a 95,000 dollar profit in just three years. I was down this past summer and i can't get over the changes to the Orlando metro area. I did not even recognize where I used to live [out 419 across from the old Seminole Flying Ranch] Seems like growth is out of control down thre.

I hope everything goes well for you and you do not have to end up cancelling

Old 09-26-2008 | 12:33 PM
mike and his mini
3rd Gear
Oviedo! I just moved from there closer to UCF so I'm back in Orlando. Yep the growth here has been tremendous over the past few 10 years, and it's not showing signs of letting up.

Thank you so much, I just hope the county gets this worked out.

Old 09-26-2008 | 01:51 PM
callahan00
5th Gear
Oviedo! I just moved from there closer to UCF so I'm back in Orlando. Yep the growth here has been tremendous over the past few 10 years, and it's not showing signs of letting up.

Thank you so much, I just hope the county gets this worked out.

when I built my house in 1992, 419 was still two lanes and there was nothing around. When I was there in June, Aloma was completely different and 419 is four lanes!!! I'm sure that Orange County will get their act together. florida is still drowing like a weed. I still get calls from headhunters all the time [I'm in software] fro positions in Maitland and OC and Seminole.

Old 10-09-2008 | 08:11 AM
mike and his mini
3rd Gear
Problem solved, no need to cancel for me. I'll be picking up my car tomorrow around 1pm : )

Old 10-09-2008 | 08:33 AM
swflaboy
4th Gear
Problem solved, no need to cancel for me. I'll be picking up my car tomorrow around 1pm : )

Congrats! You must be excited! Glad it all worked out.

My MINI is sitting on the dock in Southampton booked on a ship and scheduled to leave tomorrow. I am ecstatic!

Old 10-09-2008 | 08:54 AM
mike and his mini
3rd Gear
Thank you! I'm so excited lol, I'm a teacher and I keep telling all my kids about it! They think I"m crazy...

Old 10-09-2008 | 11:41 AM
TravisNJ
2nd Gear
Thank you! I'm so excited lol, I'm a teacher and I keep telling all my kids about it! They think I"m crazy...
Did your car come with the Anthracite? Or was it affected by the shortage?

Quick Reply: R56 Until when can I cancel my order?