R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 To Sun Roof or NOT to Sun Roof, THAT is the question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 08:46 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 265 Likes on 211 Posts
I did nto want a sunroof, wife insisted on it

I still hate it, adds lots of heat & weight, wish I did not have it, it does scare me a little when it's covered with water, and you shut the door you can see the glass lift up a little bit from the pressure

Old 09-09-2008, 04:50 PM
mattsenpai
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JCR1960
..and honestly if the factory shades weren't so poorly designed reason is there are 2 sunroofs so not a solid cover could be made other then the retractable mesh type I would not have had to purchase the pop in sunroof screens...
Well that is no valid reason, because the Scion tC has sort of the same style sunroof with 2 glass panes.. And both have a retractable non-mesh material.
So this shows that the 'mesh' isn't the only design MINI could have used.

Both of the retractable materials come from the center as a THIN but solid-entirely-sun-blocking shade, i find this opaque material to be a niftier idea than the mesh shade.
I hope MINI adopts this idea from the tC.. ..and other vehicles that have a dual-paned (& opaque retractable) sunroof
more people would opt for it

Last edited by mattsenpai; 09-09-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Jenanhill
3rd Gear
I'm completely thrilled with my sunroof on my MC 04. On hot days it lets the heat out quickly before you turn on the A/C, in winter it lets in radiant heat, and on spring and fall days, it's the next best thing to having a Cabrio (which wasn't available when I purchased Mouse.

Jen

Old 09-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Peprwhte
1st Gear
Love my sun roof. Had ceramic tint (15%) put on it, and I stay cool, and there is little, if any glare. The ceramic tint keeps the heat out, but lets the light in.

Get the roof and tint it....but use ceramic.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:42 PM
Doc Mini
1st Gear
I have two MINIs, one with a sunroof and one without.

My '02 MCS has a sunroof and frequently gets a rattle originating from the panel containing the sunroof toggle switch. It occurs depending on the temperature or seemingly without reason. Music will partially drown it out, but I find it quite annoying at times. I think there are no positives to the sunroof unless it is OPEN.

My '06 GP has no sunroof and the entire car is solid as a rock. No extra noises anywhere. Plus, no sunroof means more headroom and lighter weight on top. Much nicer IMO.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:56 PM
TonyRockyTiger
Neutral
I love my sunroof and had it in my previous car which was an E36 M3. I live in LA, and yes, it gets hot, but there's nothing like having it open during the nice warm summer nights with the windows down and my favorite music blasting! I also like doing this when it's colder (winter) when I have the heat turned all of the way up... it makes me feel like i'm in a hottub outdoors

Old 09-10-2008, 01:07 PM
CaptainCradicles
2nd Gear
I wished I had a sunroof but the cost was more than I was willing to pay.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:21 PM
jluckyfish
2nd Gear
I've had em in every car I've owned until this one, In Phoenix it is really kinda ridiculous and the acousitics when open always drove me nuts!
More of a personal choice I guess. Good luck!

Old 09-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Oakland Raiders Mini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm used to the sunroof now but I'd cut off a third of my left pinky to make it go away.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Dwell
4th Gear
There is a huuuge thread on this that helped me choose NOT to have a sunroof as I was configuring my car. I never used the ones I previously had and in California, the sun beating into your eyes while you're driving is not fun. That's just me tho. Everyone is different.

Sit in one with and one without. That's a good way to figure it out.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Apple
6th Gear
To search or not Search. that is the answer, tons of threads on this....

Old 09-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Apple
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mattsenpai
Well that is no valid reason, because the Scion tC has sort of the same style sunroof with 2 glass panes.. And both have a retractable non-mesh material.

Both of the retractable materials come from the center as a THIN but solid-entirely-sun-blocking shade, i find this opaque material to be a niftier idea than the mesh shade.
I hope MINI adopts this idea from the tC.. ..and other vehicles that have a dual-paned (& opaque retractable) sunroof

Just hope it dosent EXPLODE likr the TC... Total Crap

Old 09-10-2008, 04:33 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mattsenpai

There's no reason a person couldn't swap out the mesh for something else. It would take a little time since you need to pull the sun roof off to get access to the rollers, but not impossible.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:36 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
There's no reason a person couldn't swap out the mesh for something else. It would take a little time since you need to pull the sun roof off to get access to the rollers, but not impossible.
I agree. I've had this on my list to try, but I want to do it when I replace the headliner, and that's going to be awhile.

To answer the OP, I couldn't be without the sunroof. I'd feel claustrophobic without it, I think. My screen is closed 90% of the time, but I still like the car better with it.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:59 PM
FlyingZ06
3rd Gear
not this again do people search? how can people not decide for themselves??

Old 09-10-2008, 08:04 PM
jjp007
4th Gear
I LOVE my sunroof love love love it! The screen is perfect for blocking out the light when it's extra bright out. I only close it when moms in the car other then that I have my sunglasses on anyways. I love it. I've had no problems with the shade of the sunroof :D ***knocks on wood***

Old 09-10-2008, 09:03 PM
mattsenpai
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Cybergypsy
Just hope it dosent EXPLODE likr the TC... Total Crap
explode???

Oh, there's always the choice of custom fit removable shades

Old 09-11-2008, 05:25 PM
jgarner53
4th Gear
Just 2 weeks old, and I love my sunroof, in spite of the occasionally required tap to get it to open. Love the extra light, love the warmth on cold, foggy SF days, love opening it or just tilting it to vent a bit, love getting sun on my shifting arm as well as my non-shifting arm when windows and sunroof are open.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:04 PM
jjp007
4th Gear
I finally got a good test to see if my sunroof would open after sitting outside in the 95 degree heat all morning and all afternoon. Sunroof opened right up with no problems. The only I have noticed when driving with it open at night is that there is a slight oily smell. Nothing to terribly bad but it's noticeable. I'm not complaining because my sunroof seems to be working flawlessly :D LOVE IT!

Old 09-11-2008, 06:20 PM
eurotrash01
3rd Gear
Question:

Any drivers here over 6'3" tall who don't like a sun roof? The MINI's dimensions pretty much require taller drivers to look through a sun roof to see stop lights when first in line. The steep pitch of the windshield and the long roof line PLUS the seat in the way back position make seeing higher items (like a traffic light) pretty much impossible without squirming forward in an uncomfortable way.

So any of you down in the Southern regions of the US of A who are tall, please speak up. Any of you say "no sun roof?"

Just curious.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:26 PM
blackdelight
2nd Gear
I love my sunroof and felt that it was a necessity in a car the size of a MINI. I've had no issues with rattles or leaking (yet -- don't want to jinx myself) however I have had a couple of occasions when it needed a bit of assistance on an especially hot day.

The only time I've noticed an issue with the glare is when I'm driving around noon to 1:00 and the sun is directly over my head -- it's a bit "sunny" in the car, but still very worth it!

I'm sure you'll be happy with your decision.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:31 PM
MinnieMama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DuongR56
I'm used to the sunroof now but I'd cut off a third of my left pinky to make it go away.
Second that. I had a sunroof in my last car and I almost never used it. Too much light and heat. But the worst was that it leaked whenever it rained. Had it fixed twice and each time it started leaking again within a year.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:13 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the reasons I got a Mini was I could finally get a car without that damn sunroof. No more Sun blasting away at my head and preventing me from cooling down! WOOT!

The added head room (a sunroof costs 1.75 inches of headroom) is also nice, with me being 6'3" tall. Then there is the added weight to the car in the worst possible place. Without the sunroof the car is also quieter on the road.

Personally, I cannot find a positive reason to have a sunroof.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:22 AM
Hubs
4th Gear
I have a 2008 chili red / black roof with sunroof . It is awesome, no rattles , no squeaks opens without a problem . I live in northern NJ . I open it every time I get in the car. No problem with noise or wind . I am glad I got the sunroof and did not listen to the nay sayers.
It looks good too from inside and out , especially in the just cracked open position.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:44 AM
Tygo
3rd Gear
Anyone who has had their sunroof done in Ceramic tint: Do they have to remove the sunroof to put the tint on or do they go wheaseling around the interior trying to get it up there? I'm not sure i'm crazy about either but how did you guys feel about it? Removing the sunroof seems like it opens up room for the risk of re-installation that isn't quite as good as from the factory, and having shop guys climbing around the inside to get it right has me worried about the redwood red... how do they do it???

Quick Reply: R56 To Sun Roof or NOT to Sun Roof, THAT is the question...