R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 To Sun Roof or NOT to Sun Roof, THAT is the question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 09:43 AM
miniobx
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Sun Roof or NOT to Sun Roof, THAT is the question...

OK, NAM...I am relatively new to this great community. We're about to order, probably, a JustaCooper, Chili Red or Pepper White with black roof. The option possibilities do make you crazy, but so does this Sun Roof topic. Is there any real documentation ANYWHERE on this site by someone who has actually owned a MC or MCS with a Sun Roof who actually had noise, rattle and leak problems? There are lots of references to postings about such problems on NAM, but I see NONE.
Of course there are heat issues with a huge window over your head, D'Oh. But, there seem to be fixes for this:
1. Tint
2. Ceramic tint
3. Shades
4. Decals
5. Clouds
6. Total solar eclipse
No one has mentioned anything about the heat GAIN in the winter months - is that not a plus on a cold winter day?
So, I ask NAM to point me to owners who have ACTUAL experience with a squeaky, rattly, and leaky Mini Sun Roof. Please.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:53 AM
sk8erguyzach
4th Gear
no sun roof on ziggy but it doesnt bother me i enjoy the privacy over other cars looking down at you through the sun roof winter months dont bother me either but i live in florida so it never gets any colder than 60degrees but it is definatly nice 2 get that little more pepieness in the winter...MINIs love the cooler weather

Old 08-06-2008, 10:02 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
I have, er I mean had, a sunroof on mine and liked it since I had the anthracite headliner. It made it much less cave-like. You'll hear six reasons for and half a dozen reason against it. Go with you gut.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:08 AM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
I agree with Callahan00 - what do YOU want? I've read a lot of discussion in NAM both pro and con the sunroof. I think it comes down to whether you like having one or not. Some people have had problems with them, but lots of folks have had no problem. There are "fixes" or workarounds for most of the minor problems. I happen to love having a sunroof and I use it often in my current car. I have a MINI on order and the sunroof was probably the first option that I added - and then never questioned. I hope it works perfectly, but I feel confident that even if not perfect, it won't be a disaster. I love having the roof open and the air flowing into the car. But others feel very differently. Go with what you really want!

Old 08-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
Perhaps you could test drive one with a sunroof, and open it, and one without a sunroof? Depending on what the dealer has left by now of course. There have been some other threads on sunroof vs no sunroof in NAM.

I use mine all the time, weather permitting, and love it more than I originally thought I would.

CROC 411

Old 08-06-2008, 10:22 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
This is one option I really struggled with, so much so - I called and cancelled the Mini I had on order (with sunroof). *if* it was able to completely close, I would have purchased it. I currently have a sunroof and never use it, but decided to open it up and see how I like the sun shining on me and the heat. It's a small sunroof - and I was hot, and didn't like the glare. Then I went to a local dealership which had a 2007 on the lot, with a sunroof - and I sat in it for a while. I like the sunroof, but the glare and heat was too much. I just couldn't see spending the money on it and then spending more money on it to cover it up and "fix" it. Still.. I was undecided and called a few Mini dealers and asked their opinion... most said it's 50/50 (safe answer) and one said she didn't like the glare, and that's why she didn't have a sunroof. I reordered without one. With all that said.. there are people who wouldn't buy a Mini without one! You really need to decide how much you love the sun... here in SW FL - I love it, just not that much!

Old 08-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Eric (Plug Guy)
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very happy I did not order sunroof. Astro Black, white roof. Temps today around mid 90's. Sat outside at lunch (car did), and when we came out (black leather, expecting fire hot), the car was more than comfortable inside, and I attribute that to the white roof and NO sunroof.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:37 AM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
Even with the sunroof on Siva, I've never had an overly hot MINI, and within 30 seconds of turning on the A/C, the car is more than comfortable.

Personally I love it. The sun does annoy me when it's high in the sky, but otherwise, I'm quite happy. I haven't even gotten it tinted.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:10 AM
FlyingZ06
3rd Gear
Get the roof!

Old 08-06-2008, 11:13 AM
OPC
RATTUS Deserticus
Originally Posted by miniobx
OK, NAM...I am relatively new to this great community. We're about to order, probably, a JustaCooper, Chili Red or Pepper White with black roof. The option possibilities do make you crazy, but so does this Sun Roof topic. Is there any real documentation ANYWHERE on this site by someone who has actually owned a MC or MCS with a Sun Roof who actually had noise, rattle and leak problems? There are lots of references to postings about such problems on NAM, but I see NONE.
Of course there are heat issues with a huge window over your head, D'Oh. But, there seem to be fixes for this:
1. Tint
2. Ceramic tint
3. Shades
4. Decals
5. Clouds
6. Total solar eclipse
No one has mentioned anything about the heat GAIN in the winter months - is that not a plus on a cold winter day?
So, I ask NAM to point me to owners who have ACTUAL experience with a squeaky, rattly, and leaky Mini Sun Roof. Please.
I love my sunroof; I would not give it up.

I have had some hesitation in opening on hot days, but nothing major. There have been some reports of rattles and leaks over on the "Stock Problems/Issues" forum if you haven't already done a search there. In toto, those problems seem to be few and far between.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:13 AM
WYSIWYG
2nd Gear
We originally ordered a convertible, but missed the '08 order deadline and didn't want to wait until March '09, so we settled for the sunroof. When we were in the demo at 1 pm in July, the sun was not an issue with the roof open or closed. I personally have much more trouble with the sun when it's low near dawn or dusk. There really is no reason to get it or not get it other than your own preference.

-C

Old 08-06-2008, 11:55 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Click the very similar title below to open a recent, 100 post thread >>>:
To sunroof or not to sunroof: that is my question?

and another more recent thread:

Sunroof lovers only

with 95 posts. Love'm or Hate'm, glad we have a choice

Good luck with your decision

Old 08-06-2008, 12:05 PM
OWG
5th Gear
Add to that list the NO Sunroof and Happy Club! thread at 120 posts.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:05 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
customizing your Mini is totally up to you. I think some options are must haves for many people, yet I don't think the sun roof is one of those. I think you'll find equal amount of people on both sides of the fence on the sun-roof or not to sun-roof issue.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:10 PM
NeuroticRobot
2nd Gear
Im dealing with the same issue too! Southern California is hot hot hot in the Spring and Summer! My VW GLI has a moonroof with a fully covered shade but Im worried about the Mini mesh shade.

Can anyone post an interior picture of their sunroof/mesh shade in the closed position? Thanks.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:13 PM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I test drove an MCS with a sunroof, and did not like the amount of light. I purchased an MCS without one, and am very happy with my choice.

My other two cars have sunroofs, but they are smaller.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Euseys
3rd Gear
I chose not to, because even if there's a small chance of needing a fix or work-around, I dont want to risk it-- but after San Diego, my family is going to end up in Southern Canada--which is covered in snow 1/2 the year.
Where do you live? Rainy land? Snowy Canuck? Sunny South? That makes a difference too.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:01 PM
das
Neutral
As others have touched on, I think a lot depends on where you live. I'm here in Northern CA, and on most summer days I ride around with the windows open and/or sun roof back. If it's too hot for that in your area, dont get the sunroof. I grew up in Phoenix, and although I love my sunroof here in California, I would not have opted for it if I still lived in the Phoenix area.

- Dave -

Old 08-06-2008, 01:40 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Notice my location is South Florida, but the Sunroof would still be a 'must-have' for me in Alaska!

Originally Posted by OWG
Add to that list the NO Sunroof and Happy Club! thread at 120 posts.
Did not mean to prejudice the topic, but OP had already posted on that thread.
__________________________________________________ ___________________

Here is the 300+ post thread from Stock Problems/Issues Board:

Sunroof Does Not Open When Its Warm Out

I have been able to duplicate this issue exactly twice in three months, so I may have it on a warranty fix list for next years service visit in May.

Originally Posted by NeuroticRobot
Im dealing with the same issue too! Southern California is hot hot hot in the Spring and Summer! My VW GLI has a moonroof with a fully covered shade but Im worried about the Mini mesh shade.

Can anyone post an interior picture of their sunroof/mesh shade in the closed position? Thanks.
This Photo shows sunroof closed with shade/screen half closed:

Sunroof open w/shade half open below:

These were taken at 2:30 and 2:31 PM in full South Florida Sunshine and I have never felt any need for more shade or tint:

But then my MINI came with an Air Conditioner that is up to the job and cools the car with the sunroofs open.
__________________________________________________ ________

From what is seen on NAM; it looks like close to 50%/50% on Sunroof or No-Sunroof.

I would never have bought the Coupe without it,
but if you are 'on-the-fence', might as well save yourself $500-$1,000 (depending on other options) and order without it.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Augie05
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personal choice.... some like it, some don't. You decide.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:48 PM
miniobx
2nd Gear
Thank you all!

As a newbie, I guess I don't know how to "search" effectively. When I put "Sun Roof" into the search option, I came up with only 1 thread and I didn't know about the "Stock problems/Issues" area. So, what can I say but 'Thanks' to all of you wonderful MiniMutts for the info. I am now officially an expert on the Sun Roof option! And, after reading all that has been written, I am officially on board with lettin' the sun shine in, with some added protection in the form of ceramic tint or a graphic or both. Can you do both?

So, MiniMutts, get out there and practice "Safe Sun Roofing", especially at night when it's open and your practicing something else safely. We'll all be watching....

Wait, can you actually do that in a Mini?
Oh, so that's what the sun roof is for.

Thanks again my Minifriends...gotta get this configurating done!

Old 08-06-2008, 10:03 PM
jjp007
4th Gear
So far I am loving my sunroof in my 2 week and 3 day old Mini. No problems opening it on a hot hot day (thermometer in the car said it was 111 one day, ouch) and the sunroof opened right up. The shade is very nice and does block out quit a bit of the sun and I use it if I'm driving in the mid day texas heat but love the fact I can open it at night and see the sky. I can't wait for the cooler weather and I can open the sunroof all the way. It's just to darn hot right now but I don't find that the sunroof makes the car unbearably hot and yes, as stated the AC cools it off asap!

No regrets here.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:52 AM
JCR1960
5th Gear
I live in South Florida and I have the sunroof option on Scrappy and honestly if the factory shades weren't so poorly designed reason is there are 2 sunroofs so not a solid cover could be made other then the retractable mesh type I would not have had to purchase the pop in sunroof screens.I rarely use the sunroof unless the car sat in the sun for long periods of time and need to open the windows and tilt the sunroofs with the remote to let the heat escape before entering.At night not a problem though weather permitting of course.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:21 AM
ColinMc
4th Gear
I'm in upstate NY. I struggled big time trying to decide whether to get the sunroof or not. What made my decision was I just got the Premium Package, which had other stuff I wanted PLUS the sunroof. I love my sunroof, ever since my last two cars that had them I wouldn't get a car without one. I almost ALWAYS have my sunroof at least tilted up, even in winter. I got a black Union Jack flag from Aesthetic Creations and put it over my sunroof(s) and that just made it even better for not much investment(got it discounted since it had a green tint to it lol). The only possible downside to the sunroof I can think of, is if you plan on making your Mini as lightweight as possible. That glass way up high is extra weight in your car, and high up in your car lol.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:42 AM
tennis_man
3rd Gear
If you any interested in racing, I wouldn't get it. The sunroof adds 52 pounds up high.

Quick Reply: R56 To Sun Roof or NOT to Sun Roof, THAT is the question...