R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Most Annoying Feature

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 03:32 PM
pintofhooky
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pillar
no drinks in my car! unless its bottled water...

i think the most annoying feature is that silly toggle switch for the windows. i know its more of a glitch/stock issue but still
Definately the window toggles, no matter how much I try, I cannot open the window just one inch, biggest pain in the a** windows I've ever seen.
Pint

Old 08-08-2008, 03:38 PM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
I dislike how the seatbelt buckle wedges itself between the seat and the door. I have the belt holders that sit under the headrest, but....grrr...

OH, yeah...and when i put something heavy on the front passenger seat (like when I get lazy and put the single bag of groceries in the front), it registers like a small human and the seat belt reminder WILL NOT STOP DINGING!!! I usually give up and just buckle the stupid bag in like a kid. Sigh....

I'll ditto this one! Very very annoying!

edit: oops, I meant I'll ditto the front passenger seat thing. I mean, my purse weighs at least as much as a small child but that shouldn't mean I have to buckle it in!

Last edited by MINIchaser; 08-08-2008 at 03:41 PM. Reason: lack of specificity
Old 08-08-2008, 03:58 PM
zach999
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the most annoying feature for my MINI was having to hit the dang sport button every time you started the car. It really got my goat when I would pull out of a parking lot trying to merge with flowing traffic only to realize that I was in non-sport mode and I would have to mash the throttle and mutter a few choice words as I pushed the button.
Luckily there is a mod that addresses this issue. I installed the auto-sport button mod on my MINI and it is now 'fixed' and I am happy as a clam
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...=103258&page=2

Old 08-08-2008, 03:59 PM
DanF
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BludyL
My most annoying feature has to do with Comfort Access System. On several occasions, I've been running errands with a passenger. The passenger will get out, pick up something, while I idle the car.

The problem is the passenger has difficulty popping the trunk and claims that they can't open the trunk. If the key fob is not in the charger slot (in my pocket, for example), I can't press Truck Release and it open. I have to open the door or open a window hold the fob outside of the car, then hit Trunk Release.

If the key fob is in the charger slot, I have to stop the car, pop the key out of the charger slot, then open a door/window, hold fob outside of the car and hit Trunk Release.

If the car is not in motion, there should be trunk release button that works. Yes, I understand that I could possibly be stopped at a stop light, hit this trunk release button and drive off with the trunk open. But seriously, if I did, I deserve the consequences of it. Honestly, engineers need to stop erring on the side of safety to avoid the risk of stupid people doing stupid things.
Doesn't your latch on boot (trunk) work? You should be able to open the boot with the doors unlocked by the latch on the boot door, no need to use the remote.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:04 PM
DanF
5th Gear
Originally Posted by pintofhooky
Definately the window toggles, no matter how much I try, I cannot open the window just one inch, biggest pain in the a** windows I've ever seen.
Pint
No problem opening the windows an inch here. Push the switch down then push down again quickly. The switches work both ways, you don't need to pull up on the switch to stop the window.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:39 PM
pintofhooky
1st Gear
Thanks DanF, I'm still getting used to Tim (from Monty Python and the Holy Grail) I've only had him 2 weeks! I'll try it on my way home tonight.
Pint

Old 08-08-2008, 05:10 PM
tag
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ecupip
I think I have found the most annoying feature of the car. The rubber grips in the cup holders. When you have a Styrofoam Cup you cant get it out of the holder. I am worried that one time I am gonna wiggle the cup out and it is going to tear it open all over the car. I think I am going to cut them out has anyone else done so?
Dang people just pull on the rubber tabs and they will come right off.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:42 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
1. Sport button. - why did they make it so that I have to push it on every time I start the car?????
2. Seatbelt ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ....

Old 08-08-2008, 06:25 PM
ipeverywhere
4th Gear
The problem is the passenger has difficulty popping the trunk and claims that they can't open the trunk. If the key fob is not in the charger slot (in my pocket, for example), I can't press Truck Release and it open. I have to open the door or open a window hold the fob outside of the car, then hit Trunk Release.
I thought my carpool passenger was just inept because he could never get the boot open. Then I realized what was happened. Get in car, drive away, doors lock, stop car, open doors, walk to boot, boot is still locked. If the key is actually in the car then the boot won't unlock. The MINI is smart enough to know the key is in the car so you can't possibly be wanting to open the boot right? The simple fix? Unlock the doors. Just a quick flick up of the door lock toggle on the console will unlock the boot and your passenger can open it while you sit comfortably in the car and keyfob in your pocket.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:10 PM
futuremini
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ipeverywhere
I thought my carpool passenger was just inept because he could never get the boot open. Then I realized what was happened. Get in car, drive away, doors lock, stop car, open doors, walk to boot, boot is still locked. If the key is actually in the car then the boot won't unlock. The MINI is smart enough to know the key is in the car so you can't possibly be wanting to open the boot right? The simple fix? Unlock the doors. Just a quick flick up of the door lock toggle on the console will unlock the boot and your passenger can open it while you sit comfortably in the car and keyfob in your pocket.

ip,
Check your owners manual for door lock programming. You can set the car to have different locking/unlocking characteristics. If it is a 2007-8 start reading pages 15 through 25.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:42 AM
jjp007
4th Gear
My most annoying feature has to do with Comfort Access System. On several occasions, I've been running errands with a passenger. The passenger will get out, pick up something, while I idle the car.

If the key fob is in the charger slot, I have to stop the car, pop the key out of the charger slot, then open a door/window, hold fob outside of the car and hit Trunk Release.

If the car is not in motion, there should be trunk release button that works. Yes, I understand that I could possibly be stopped at a stop light, hit this trunk release button and drive off with the trunk open. But seriously, if I did, I deserve the consequences of it. Honestly, engineers need to stop erring on the side of safety to avoid the risk of stupid people doing stupid things.

So far in my almost 3 weeks of Mini ownership I have come across the two most annoying things in this thread.
I was hoping there was a boot latch somewhere in the car. When I pick up my mom with the car idling, she always has something to put in the boot and I have to end up turning off the car, getting out and walking to the boot to press the button. NOT CONVIENENT AT ALL!!!

*edit** ok thanks I didn't finish reading this thread before replying. I knew there had to be a way!! I will finish reading my manual. I didn't get to that part yet. Oppps

Also when my pup rides for short trips in the passenger seat, yes the annoying seatbelt gong that goes off constantly is sooo annoying.

My passenger side cup holder rubber grippy things came off on their own and now I can't get them back in properly. Annoying.

otherwise i love my car!!

Last edited by jjp007; 08-09-2008 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:20 AM
rippymcs
4th Gear
+1 on the seatbelt buckle getting wedged between the door and the seat.
+0.5 on the rubber tabs in the cup holder (I don't use it often).
The one thing that annoys me the most is boot unlatch botton on the fob, it always takes me couple of tries before it opens.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:29 AM
SmokeM
5th Gear

LOL too many stupid people. I'm not a leader but at times, I'm a follower

I wonder if you can hit the unlock button in the center stack to unlock the trunk from inside?

I think comfort access has to be one of the most useful options. I'm befuddled when I hop into my old grand cherokee, first I look for the start button, then I realize I need a key, fish the key out of my pocket...it feels like an antique in terms of technology in the car.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:12 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Calmante
Umm... Maybe I'm reading this wrong, BludyL, but the center toggle (the one that unlocks the doors) is also the boot release. At least, that's what it says in the manual! Is it wrong?
Yeah, THEORETICALLY. When you have the car running, the boot won't open/unlock. You have to turn the car off to open it. Not sure what the rationale behind that is, but...pain in the butt.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:16 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIchaser
edit: oops, I meant I'll ditto the front passenger seat thing. I mean, my purse weighs at least as much as a small child but that shouldn't mean I have to buckle it in!

Yeah - makes me feel guilty and I end up cleaning out my purse more often. I also get the "what the heck do you have IN that bag!?" when the ding ding ding ding ding won't stop!

Old 08-09-2008, 08:16 AM
ClubDal
3rd Gear

Have you tried hitting the unlock toggle in the center console? I have a Clubman so it could be different, but that works for me when my husband can't get the boot doors open while I have the car idling and the key in my purse!

edit: I didn't read the whole thread either before responding...didn't realize there was a second page! Sorry for being repetitive.

Last edited by ClubDal; 08-09-2008 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:57 AM
minimizevt
1st Gear
When I put a large cup in my cup holder, sometimes it bumps the button for the heated seats. Suddenly my bum is on fire...not so good in July!

Old 08-09-2008, 09:17 AM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mellotron
I often find myself wanting to sit in the car with the driver door open, with the key in so that I can operate the windows, stereo, etc. For whatever reason - cleaning the interior & windows, hanging out w/ friends and want to play a song, etc.

But noooo...I can't do that without constant dinging and a key icon showing on the tach. It is seriously annoying and won't shut up unless I close the door or take the key out. Is it trying to warn me that I might walk off & leave the key in the car, or paranoid that I might drive off with my door open? It would be awesome if this feature can be disabled.
Mello, the Comfort Access option solves this problem. I can just leave the key on the seat and hit the start button and listen to the radio while I clean the car. No annoying dinging. But that leads to another problem. The radio will only play for about 5 minutes and then the ignition shuts off. Does this happen with cars that don't have the Comfort Access?

I wish there was a way to override the shutoff or make it stay on longer.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:24 AM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
I dislike how the seatbelt buckle wedges itself between the seat and the door. I have the belt holders that sit under the headrest, but....grrr...
There was another thread that discussed the seatbelt getting jammed between the seat and the door. I had this happen to me when I first got the car.

Then I figured out that if I slid that little sliding gimzo on the belt up to the buckle when I was belted, it keeps the buckle latch up against the door pillar when you take it off. The buckle latch actually fits into the slot in the door pillar. No problem with this since. Give this a try and see if it solves the problem.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:10 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Only major gripe is with the in-accuracy of the Speedometer, if your gonna make it so huge and prominent (and that's Ok with me)
have it work right

Minor gripe is that the "Door Open" or whatever warning chime just gets louder when you increase HiFi volume
(which was why you left the door open in the first place).

Old 08-09-2008, 04:08 PM
popelofe
2nd Gear
my last car didint have functioning cup holders. i had to buy the aftermarket ones from wallgreens that are mounted in the window sill. i have no complaints as of now with the minis cup holders.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:37 PM
MiniBella
4th Gear
For me it's the location of the stops when opening the door. The first one isn't wide enough and the second which is totally wide open is often too far. I'd really like one somewhere in between.

Anyone else having this problem? Am I missing something?

Old 08-09-2008, 06:05 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
Originally Posted by richs10
There was another thread that discussed the seatbelt getting jammed between the seat and the door. I had this happen to me when I first got the car.

Then I figured out that if I slid that little sliding gimzo on the belt up to the buckle when I was belted, it keeps the buckle latch up against the door pillar when you take it off. The buckle latch actually fits into the slot in the door pillar. No problem with this since. Give this a try and see if it solves the problem.
Ooooh, that works perfectly. No more stuck seat belt, thanks!

Old 08-09-2008, 06:10 PM
zach999
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by richs10
Mello, the Comfort Access option solves this problem. I can just leave the key on the seat and hit the start button and listen to the radio while I clean the car. No annoying dinging. But that leads to another problem. The radio will only play for about 5 minutes and then the ignition shuts off. Does this happen with cars that don't have the Comfort Access?

I wish there was a way to override the shutoff or make it stay on longer.
yes. simply press/click the volume **** in while the ignition is completely off and it will fire up the full functions of the stereo for 30 minutes without burning too much of the battery on the ignition processes
It is rather annoying to have to click it again 30 minutes later, but then it gives you some sense of time, how you have been there if you get somewhere really early and sit your mini like me lol

Old 08-09-2008, 06:46 PM
jgarner53
4th Gear
Most annoying feature for me is that my car is still on a boat!

Quick Reply: R56 Most Annoying Feature