R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Most Annoying Feature

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 08:12 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniBella
For me it's the location of the stops when opening the door. The first one isn't wide enough <...>
Someone else was complaining that they had NO Door 'hold-open' stop at all.
Mine works fine and intermediate stop is at 22" perfect for parking two feet from someone you trust

Originally Posted by RandomGemini
Most annoying feature... well if you mean a feature then I'm gonna have to go with that stupid arm rest. It is not anchored in such a way that a short person could actually rest their arm on it while sitting in the driver's seat. It also blocks access to the rear cup holder, so that when you have a passenger in the rear, or an extra drink, you really can't get to it to stow any thing in it. Also, it blocks access to the seat back adjustment lever.

I'm hard pressed to call the armrest a feature. It's more appropriate to call it a bother. And I probably wouldn't bother to add this to a car if I were custom ordering. I really don't like it.
to not adding on order. makes it a lot cheaper and easier to add MINI's European (Larger w/Latching flip-top) Armrest,
comfortable for two elbows and does not affect use of rear cupholder or seatback adjustment lever.
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
<...>OH, yeah...and when i put something heavy on the front passenger seat (like when I get lazy and put the single bag of groceries in the front), it registers like a small human and the seat belt reminder WILL NOT STOP DINGING!!! I usually give up and just buckle the stupid bag in like a kid. Sigh....
On mine, any light package on seat will activate the "Air Bag Off" advisory, but it has not activated the seat belt reminder.
Originally Posted by tag
Dang people just pull on the rubber tabs and they will come right off.
The whole inner ring with the rubber tabs can be completely removed, stored and replaced if you want later.
Without that extra ring, it perfectly holds (tight) a typical coffee mug or can in a kuzi.
(Needs tight; the way that auto sails around corners.)
Originally Posted by popelofe
my last car didint have functioning cup holders. i had to buy the aftermarket ones from wallgreens that are mounted in the window sill. i have no complaints as of now with the minis cup holders.
Great that MINI cupholders suit you and for others, there are a great many 'aftermarket' cupholding solutions.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:42 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrewN
Ooooh, that works perfectly. No more stuck seat belt, thanks!
It seems so simple after you figure it out, doesn't it! But as you saw, it really works! Glad to help!

Old 08-09-2008, 08:48 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by zach999
yes. simply press/click the volume **** in while the ignition is completely off and it will fire up the full functions of the stereo for 30 minutes without burning too much of the battery on the ignition processes
It is rather annoying to have to click it again 30 minutes later, but then it gives you some sense of time, how you have been there if you get somewhere really early and sit your mini like me lol
Zach! How did you figure that out? I looked and looked in the manual and didn't see that! Much better than having to push the start button every 5 minutes!! Thanks!!

Old 08-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Robophobia
2nd Gear
[quote=x uh oh x;2413362]I dislike how the seatbelt buckle wedges itself between the seat and the door. I have the belt holders that sit under the headrest, but....grrr...

Yeah, and it leaves an indent in both the seat and door. I try and remember to put the seatbelt behind the seat everytime I get out.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:07 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
I dislike how the seatbelt buckle wedges itself between the seat and the door. I have the belt holders that sit under the headrest, but....grrr...

Yeah, and it leaves an indent in both the seat and door. I try and remember to put the seatbelt behind the seat everytime I get out.
did you try this solution from post #44 above? It also prevents 'buckle rattles' if you get them set right.
Originally Posted by richs10
There was another thread that discussed the seatbelt getting jammed between the seat and the door. I had this happen to me when I first got the car.

Then I figured out that if I slid that little sliding gimzo on the belt up to the buckle when I was belted, it keeps the buckle latch up against the door pillar when you take it off. The buckle latch actually fits into the slot in the door pillar. No problem with this since. Give this a try and see if it solves the problem.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:03 AM
rippymcs
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jgarner53
Most annoying feature for me is that my car is still on a boat!
That's not a feature, that's a defect!! Have your MA fix it ASAP!!

Old 08-10-2008, 06:23 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pilotart
On mine, any light package on seat will activate the "Air Bag Off" advisory, but it has not activated the seat belt reminder.
That could be because your bags are JUST LIGHT enough! Try a heavy purse or heavy bag of groceries...Whew. My little airbag light comes on too, but evidently I can really pack not only my car, but my bags, too. I weigh-out before I cube-out!

Old 08-10-2008, 07:05 AM
mellotron
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by zach999
yes. simply press/click the volume **** in while the ignition is completely off and it will fire up the full functions of the stereo for 30 minutes without burning too much of the battery on the ignition processes
It is rather annoying to have to click it again 30 minutes later, but then it gives you some sense of time, how you have been there if you get somewhere really early and sit your mini like me lol
I don't have Comfort Access. Mine will do this though, but it doesn't turn on the aux-in, which I mainly use for my iPod. It only works for CD or radio which I hardly ever listen to anyway. (I didn't get the USB/iPod feature because I read that it doesn't work well with very large music libraries/playlists.)

In general, dinging for no good reason is still my most annoying feature. Luckily, I've been able to put bags in my passenger seat without triggering seatbelt dinging, but a friend who has a 2007 MCS has that problem.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:33 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
That could be because your bags are JUST LIGHT enough! Try a heavy purse or heavy bag of groceries...Whew. My little airbag light comes on too, but evidently I can really pack not only my car, but my bags, too. I weigh-out before I cube-out!
You could be right, I would have been sure to 'belt' any HEAVY item placed in seat, hate picking up spills from the floor

Originally Posted by mellotron
I don't have Comfort Access. Mine will do this though, but it doesn't turn on the aux-in, which I mainly use for my iPod. It only works for CD or radio which I hardly ever listen to anyway. (I didn't get the USB/iPod feature because I read that it doesn't work well with very large music libraries/playlists.)
My MA had told me about ability to turn HiFi on after all other power is off, did not know of the increase to thirty minutes and just saw that the "Door Open" Chime is inactive after 'Manual' HiFi turn-on

I use AUX for XM-Radio, but its power comes from front cig liter plug, wonder which buss fuse might be on that "thirty-minute" circuit?

In general, dinging for no good reason is still my most annoying feature. Luckily, I've been able to put bags in my passenger seat without triggering seatbelt dinging, but a friend who has a 2007 MCS has that problem.
So, perhaps that seatbelt warning 'weight-trigger' could be adjusted or could be one of those rare '07-'08 changes.

You can adjust the volume level for the warning dinging, one setting covers all but then the 'ding' volume increases when you increase HiFi Volume

Suffered a PT Cruiser Rental, if turn signal failed to cancel; you would not believe the horn that goes off-- you will only need to experience it once.

Another Rental (that I was glad I did not buy) was a Sebring, it had a nice Turn Signal, just like the MINI's

Old 08-10-2008, 08:38 AM
DrewN
6th Gear
The super sensitive weight sensor on the passenger side is pretty annoying, even the passenger airbag light, it irks me when I see it light up.

I'm also starting to dislike the gong. It was cute 3 months ago, not anymore.

I've complained enough about the wiper and signal stalks. If a passenger asks "why do you keep putting the signal in the wrong direction?" (happens every once in awhile) I just mumble under my breath now.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:43 AM
thulewx
4th Gear
The thing that annoys me is the door auto-close feature - the one that, when you open the door and start to get out, it WON'T stay open, no matter what position you open it to .

Old 08-10-2008, 08:51 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Think that the first turn signal I ever saw was on a pre-war English Automobile (Austin??).

It had a Railroad Style Semaphore that extended from the side at top and was orange lighted as well.

The control for it was in center of steering wheel and was intuitive in that you toggled it left or right to agree with way you wanted to turn.

It was not 'self-canceling' though

Old 08-10-2008, 08:55 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by thulewx
The thing that annoys me is the door auto-close feature - the one that, when you open the door and start to get out, it WON'T stay open, no matter what position you open it to .
That should be fixed under warranty.

My '08 Cooper Coupe's doors have a definite 'detent' that holds securely at twenty-two inches open and another 'hold' for full open.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:00 AM
thulewx
4th Gear
Oh, the detent is there, just weak... maybe I'm always parking on an incline & don't know it?

Old 08-10-2008, 10:44 AM
chknlil
2nd Gear
Richs10: VERY GOOD!!! The most annoying thing abut my mini....has now been resolved. Went out and latched up. Moved that deal... now I'm good! Thanks!

There was another thread that discussed the seatbelt getting jammed between the seat and the door. I had this happen to me when I first got the car.

Then I figured out that if I slid that little sliding gimzo on the belt up to the buckle when I was belted, it keeps the buckle latch up against the door pillar when you take it off. The buckle latch actually fits into the slot in the door pillar. No problem with this since. Give this a try and see if it solves the problem.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:27 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by chknlil
Richs10: VERY GOOD!!! The most annoying thing abut my mini....has now been resolved. Went out and latched up. Moved that deal... now I'm good! Thanks!

I'm seriously thinking about going through threads like this and make up a list of things that people on the website have discovered about their MINIs. Then print it out and give it to my MA to give to his customers as a "MINI CHEAT SHEET" He probably did tell me some of these things at the time of delivery, but I was so excited to get the car I didn't remember most of them. There are so many things like this that you only find out about here.

So Far:
- You can turn on the radio for 30 minute segments without the key in the ignition and won't have a door bong.
- Use the slidey thing on your seat belt to avoid having your seat belt jam between the door and seat.
- Gently "flip" the window controls for auto-up and auto-down; Hold them completely down or up to stop them part way.
- Opening, Venting and Closing the Sunroofs, however, involve a completely different theory of operation than the window controls. In order the 'vent' the sunroofs, gently pull the switch only 1/2 way back. To completely open the sunroof, pull and hold the switch all the way back. To close push and hold the switch.
- The unique (and distinct) methods of opening and closing the windows and sunroofs with, and without, the comfort access, the button on the door handles and the buttons on the remote......(I gonna let someone else work up the recap on that bit of English/German logic)
- The volume control is not on the radio. It's located on the lower part of the dash and has markings that look like the button makes the speakers larger or smaller.
- The driver's floor mat is supposed to come with hooks or velcro fasteners to make sure it doesn't ride up under the pedals. Make sure your MA installed these.
- MINI has a list of approved phones but only two or three of them are still being made. They also have phone cradles for the armrest, but almost none of them fit the available phones. (This was a lot of fun for me!)
- If you pay the $500.00 for the USB/iPod option, you may not get the unique and proprietary "iPod/Aux cord" but your dealer may sell it to you for an extra $120.00. And the cord is too short to allow you to hide your iPod in the secret compartment. I guess your suppossed to leave your iPod out to help the thieves see it.
- Someone else has to explain the Auto Wiper controls......and the turn signals.....

I better stop....I think I'm getting a little bitter as I go further with this! Sorry.

I really, really, do love this car. I just don't think it will ever have a future as a popular rental car with Avis or Hertz. Its design is not very intuitive!

Last edited by richs10; 08-10-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:14 PM
DanF
5th Gear
You wouldn't want this car to be available for rental. Once a car is put in the rental fleet resale values plummet because there are too many used models available on the market.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:18 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DanF
You wouldn't want this car to be available for rental. Once a car is put in the rental fleet resale values plummet because there are too many used models available on the market.
I don't think there is much danger of that. The bigger problem would be that rental customers probably couldn't figure out how to start it.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:23 PM
DanF
5th Gear
I don't think there is much danger of that. The bigger problem would be that rental customers probably couldn't figure out how to start it.
I don't think there would be a problem there. I was at the supermarket one day and a husband and wife pulled in next to me. The husband came over and asked about the car while the wife went in to shop. I talking awhile then I showed him the key and start button. He wasn't the least bit impressed because his 2 year Hyundia he parked next to me had the same system. Round key and start button and it was a cheapo lower model.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:30 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Since we get a lot of rain down here in South Florida during this time of year I think one of the most annoying features on the Mini is the speed sensitive wipers.It began to rain today so I turned on the wipers to position 1 the normal mode after getting inside and they moved very slowly while at idle then increased as I began to drive.Come to a complete stop at a stop light and the wipers default to the intermittent mode and I couldn't even see out of the windshield through the pouring rain unless I put it in position 2 the fast mode which is the slow mode when at a stop.Drive and the wipers speed up again.Stop and they default to intermittent and so on.Very frustrating!!

I guess this one of the many little quirks that BMW/Mini has decided to engineer in to the car just for the sake of being different.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:01 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mellotron
I often find myself wanting to sit in the car with the driver door open, with the key in so that I can operate the windows, stereo, etc. For whatever reason - cleaning the interior & windows, hanging out w/ friends and want to play a song, etc.

But noooo...I can't do that without constant dinging and a key icon showing on the tach. It is seriously annoying and won't shut up unless I close the door or take the key out. Is it trying to warn me that I might walk off & leave the key in the car, or paranoid that I might drive off with my door open? It would be awesome if this feature can be disabled.
Mellotron,

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but if you push your key fob in and push the start button WITHOUT pressing the brake pedal, the ignition will come on without the dinging and you can play your music.

I don't have my car in front of me otherwise I'd confirm it but I'm pretty sure that's what I've done before.... maybe I'm mistaken.

Mark

Old 10-16-2008, 03:42 AM
SmokeM
5th Gear
Originally Posted by thulewx
Oh, the detent is there, just weak... maybe I'm always parking on an incline & don't know it?
+1, this is the MOST annoying feature for me. The detent are weak, the part is plastic. I wonder how long this part will last. My car is on level ground it is still a pain to hold the door open every time I get out.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:36 PM
Miniriffic
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Coopdy
Just say no to styrofoam and bring your own travel mug.
Couldn't you cut a small portion of a paper cup to fit the holder so the rubber doesn't contact the styrofoam?

Personally I think the dashboard cup holder (next to the glovebox) is useless unless you put a small Shipley's donut coffee mug into it to hold a larger cup.... sunglasses.... iphone.... etc. No normal cup fits into it right. British engineering sometimes ain't so hot.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:44 PM
Miniriffic
2nd Gear
Yeah, THEORETICALLY. When you have the car running, the boot won't open/unlock. You have to turn the car off to open it. Not sure what the rationale behind that is, but...pain in the butt.
I usually unlock the boot from the center toggle when I get out and want to open it. Are there different setup configurations for the boot unlock that the dealer can set for you? I'd like it to open whenever the driver's door is unlocked and open. It is irritating to open the door with the handle (2X-arrgggh), walk back, and then realize the boot is still locked.