R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Most Annoying Feature

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 06:36 AM
ecupip
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most Annoying Feature

I think I have found the most annoying feature of the car. The rubber grips in the cup holders. When you have a Styrofoam Cup you cant get it out of the holder. I am worried that one time I am gonna wiggle the cup out and it is going to tear it open all over the car. I think I am going to cut them out has anyone else done so?

Old 08-08-2008, 06:40 AM
grey
I'd Rather Be Driving
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read someplace else that people put a full can or something in there for a week or two to force the little rubber grips to be a little looser. Haven't done that myself, I never put anything in those, I just use the one at the driver's hip.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:40 AM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
Originally Posted by ecupip
I think I have found the most annoying feature of the car. The rubber grips in the cup holders. When you have a Styrofoam Cup you cant get it out of the holder. I am worried that one time I am gonna wiggle the cup out and it is going to tear it open all over the car. I think I am going to cut them out has anyone else done so?
Eh.. mine has to be the arm rest. The top slides opens too easily, the interior can't really be used for storage as there are little nooks and crannies at the back where the connector for the antenna is, and the place it's attached pretty much makes the rear cup holder useless.

Haven't used styrofoam cups in my MINI though, so I don't know your pain thankfully.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:45 AM
Nightsky
2nd Gear
Don't cut them off. You can carefully remove the plastic retainer ring and they come right out. There was a thread about this a few months ago.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:53 AM
ecupip
3rd Gear
Oh gotcha I will have to look into that. Because until Chick-fil-A and Cookout my two favorite places change their cups I am forced to remove the rubber pieces, lol.

Luckily the armrest I have never had slide open I even have to push it back really hard to get mine to slide back. Maybe if I use it alot more it will get looser but I hope not.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:54 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes I agree they are very annoying. I had a smoothie in it one day and when the gf took it out, the rubber grips ripped some holes into the cup. The driver side one is fine tho because the astray cup thing (I use it for coins) has been in there all the time and has pushed the gripes down, but they still hold in a cup. I guess I could move it over to the passenger side one and work on those gripes

Old 08-08-2008, 07:39 AM
RadishAttack
2nd Gear

Last edited by RadishAttack; 08-14-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:53 AM
whoapower
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RadishAttack
I adore my new Mini but the one thing I quickly learned to loathe was the steering wheel paddle shifters. I usually have two paws on the wheel and I often like to place one hand where the right paddle shifter is located. I must relocate that hand now.
This is hilarious. I'd love to see a video of those paws dropping a gear!

Old 08-08-2008, 08:57 AM
pillar
5th Gear
no drinks in my car! unless its bottled water...

i use that cup holder as my cell phone holder.... i think the most annoying feature is that silly toggle switch for the windows. i know its more of a glitch/stock issue but still

Old 08-08-2008, 09:22 AM
phxsteele
4th Gear
The trick I have found with styrofoam cups is to twist them about a quarter of a turn while pulling them up. It seems to help it slide eaiser.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:22 AM
phxsteele
4th Gear
Originally Posted by wbarnhill
Eh.. mine has to be the arm rest. The top slides opens too easily, the interior can't really be used for storage as there are little nooks and crannies at the back where the connector for the antenna is, and the place it's attached pretty much makes the rear cup holder useless.

Haven't used styrofoam cups in my MINI though, so I don't know your pain thankfully.

+1 my armrest slides way to easy.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Apple
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wbarnhill

Mine is super hard to slide open.......

Old 08-08-2008, 09:28 AM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I thought the car payments were the Most Annoying Feature!

Old 08-08-2008, 09:32 AM
phxsteele
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rockridge
Guess I will find out on Monday.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:32 AM
LaserSpeeder
1st Gear
OK I have one - the little tiny access door on the rear bumper, the one to access the tow hook area, does not stay in place. I am tempted to glue it in there. Anyone else have this problem?

Old 08-08-2008, 09:57 AM
mellotron
3rd Gear
I often find myself wanting to sit in the car with the driver door open, with the key in so that I can operate the windows, stereo, etc. For whatever reason - cleaning the interior & windows, hanging out w/ friends and want to play a song, etc.

But noooo...I can't do that without constant dinging and a key icon showing on the tach. It is seriously annoying and won't shut up unless I close the door or take the key out. Is it trying to warn me that I might walk off & leave the key in the car, or paranoid that I might drive off with my door open? It would be awesome if this feature can be disabled.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:06 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
I dislike how the seatbelt buckle wedges itself between the seat and the door. I have the belt holders that sit under the headrest, but....grrr...

OH, yeah...and when i put something heavy on the front passenger seat (like when I get lazy and put the single bag of groceries in the front), it registers like a small human and the seat belt reminder WILL NOT STOP DINGING!!! I usually give up and just buckle the stupid bag in like a kid. Sigh....

Old 08-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Coopdy
4th Gear
Just say no to styrofoam and bring your own travel mug.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Oakland Raiders Mini
5th Gear
Withdrawal symptoms.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:16 PM
jw34
6th Gear
I wish that fresh air would be available without having a fan on.

And for all those who hate the rubber cup holder rings, just pull them out!

Old 08-08-2008, 01:19 PM
grey
I'd Rather Be Driving
Originally Posted by rockridge
+1 on this one!

Old 08-08-2008, 01:31 PM
BludyL
3rd Gear
My most annoying feature has to do with Comfort Access System. On several occasions, I've been running errands with a passenger. The passenger will get out, pick up something, while I idle the car.

The problem is the passenger has difficulty popping the trunk and claims that they can't open the trunk. If the key fob is not in the charger slot (in my pocket, for example), I can't press Truck Release and it open. I have to open the door or open a window hold the fob outside of the car, then hit Trunk Release.

If the key fob is in the charger slot, I have to stop the car, pop the key out of the charger slot, then open a door/window, hold fob outside of the car and hit Trunk Release.

If the car is not in motion, there should be trunk release button that works. Yes, I understand that I could possibly be stopped at a stop light, hit this trunk release button and drive off with the trunk open. But seriously, if I did, I deserve the consequences of it. Honestly, engineers need to stop erring on the side of safety to avoid the risk of stupid people doing stupid things.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:26 PM
xqb3b
3rd Gear
LaserSpeeder.......I had the same problem when my MCS was brand new....a few days later I happened to be driving near the dealer and just stopped in......the service writer had a bunch of the covers in his desk, he rummaged through them until he found my color. Took him less than 2 minutes to put the new one on, didn't even write it up. Problem solved. Before I stopped at the dealer I had planned to just spot epoxy it in place, figuring I could break it loose if I ever actually needed it.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Calmante
3rd Gear
Umm... Maybe I'm reading this wrong, BludyL, but the center toggle (the one that unlocks the doors) is also the boot release. At least, that's what it says in the manual! Is it wrong?

Old 08-08-2008, 02:35 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Most annoying feature... well if you mean a feature then I'm gonna have to go with that stupid arm rest. It is not anchored in such a way that a short person could actually rest their arm on it while sitting in the driver's seat. It also blocks access to the rear cup holder, so that when you have a passenger in the rear, or an extra drink, you really can't get to it to stow any thing in it. Also, it blocks access to the seat back adjustment lever.

I'm hard pressed to call the armrest a feature. It's more appropriate to call it a bother. And I probably wouldn't bother to add this to a car if I were custom ordering. I really don't like it.

Quick Reply: R56 Most Annoying Feature