R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Disrespecting the MINI: He finds the MINI "annoying"

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 02:37 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
He makes some valid points, and I do not doubt that he encounters MINI drivers who are exactly what he describes. Many people (not on NAM of course ) do buy a MINI only as a lifestyle and fashion statement.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Noegel
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He is a fine writer, indeed, but his ideas are grossly misinformed.

I bet he's never ridden in one. He has the mindset I had before I know what an EVO was... I thought they were ricer crapboxes with loud exhausts...

Boy, was I wrong!

Old 08-08-2008, 04:39 PM
pillar
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my bike will beat his bike!

haha sike!

Old 08-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Defcon888
2nd Gear
Oh he'll be the one laughing when an SUV that fails to swerve away or brake in time crushes his bike!

Old 08-09-2008, 06:08 AM
PepperSClubman
2nd Gear
Green is so 2-years ago. Now it's all about fuel economy. Screw the environment. And screw "fun-tarded" cyclists who scream at cars with high "car-fun" footprints for driving at the same excessive speeds as minivans and SUVs. Can't you just smell the jealousy (or is that sweat)? I don't care because I leave the AC on "max" with the windows open.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:27 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
*most* bikers Ive known have been smug, self-absorbed douchebags, and this one is no different. he probably talks with his eyes closed, and loves to smell his own farts.

Smug alert! Smug alert! (thanks TP and MS)

Old 08-09-2008, 07:25 AM
PepperSClubman
2nd Gear
Forgive me for flaming militant enviro-cyclists.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:30 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by irieman
My take- He spelled the name right didn't he? (lol) The thing about blogs/independent media these days is that they are much like political talk shows- the people listening, or in this case, reading, are pretty much "on board" to the views already, and need no convincing, so its not like the writer is changing anyone's opinion (if you look at the comments of that entry, its clear we have nothing to worry about! lol) In many respects we, the MINI community are the same way (example: SUVs) and even at times just as critical and harsh. So what's a little disparate opinion now and then?! Plus, it gives us all something/someone to laugh at. No seriously- did you read the comments?!

I got this negative review/eval in my InBox today, and again, the writer was humorous, and spelled the name right. I should probably link back to it on my own blog. You know- for funsies.
I MOSTLY agree with you, even though my initial reaction was "Grrrr..." I don't think we'd have as much fun grousing if everybody agreed with each other on everything.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Coopdy
4th Gear
I got this negative review/eval in my InBox today, and again, the writer was humorous, and spelled the name right. I should probably link back to it on my own blog. You know- for funsies.
Thanks for the link, amusing article and tactfully written. He makes some valid points. The MINI is not for everyone, thankfully, I have a long enough wait for mine as it is!

Old 08-09-2008, 10:18 AM
NeuroticRobot
2nd Gear
He is probably mistaking our Mini pride for pretentiousness.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:27 PM
healgama
1st Gear
Well this guy wanted to drive an average or common car, the MINI was, is, and will be, a different car allways.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:46 AM
Ed.A
3rd Gear
I'm not so easliy offended, I actually thought it to be kinda funny. The fact that he doesn't get it is his loss, not mine. When we go on MINI runs we consistently see people stop in their tracks and with big smiles just wave at us. Yesterday an on coming truck began tooting his horn at us...that is a first for me, although I must say the funniest was watching a guy almost drive right into an Oak tree on his lawn tractor while staring at us all.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Ed.A
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by NeuroticRobot
He is probably mistaking our Mini pride for pretentiousness.
I do believe you nailed it. +1

Old 08-10-2008, 09:11 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
A card carrying member from the "Anti-car intelligentsia". These nutsos would have everyone riding bikes and remove every automobile from the face of the earth.

Don't pay attention to these locos.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:20 AM
roscoenj
2nd Gear
HEY!

Lets not become bike haters. (I ride my bike when I"m not driveing my Mini and driving my Mini when I'm not riding my bike). I view the Mini as the 4 wheel equivalent of a sleek and fast road bike. On both you "feel the road" and are more a part of your evrironment (as apposed to the environment) than on other vehicles. And please, let the cyclist have a small piece of the road. Don't be like the cell phone talking SUV driver that tries to see how close she can buzz the cyclist without hitting them.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:24 AM
ChiliXer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by schmoopy
"...The Mini Cooper is the Felt Curbside of automobiles in that it's a neutered version of something that was once authentic, it evokes racing for people who will never race, and it's "cute" in a completely derivative and studied way.
I dont know about the MINI's he lives around, but I just got back from track day at Mid-Ohio. I race mine , and averaged 11 mpg (which is good for racing)

Old 08-10-2008, 11:30 AM
schmoopy
2nd Gear
Yes. I agree 100%. No, see the problem with this scenario is that we (the posters) are saying: "OK he's one of those serious bike riders...ergo let's vent against the bike riders!" I'm not sure if that is the way to go here
Originally Posted by roscoenj
HEY!

Lets not become bike haters. (I ride my bike when I"m not driveing my Mini and driving my Mini when I'm not riding my bike). I view the Mini as the 4 wheel equivalent of a sleek and fast road bike. On both you "feel the road" and are more a part of your evrironment (as apposed to the environment) than on other vehicles. And please, let the cyclist have a small piece of the road. Don't be like the cell phone talking SUV driver that tries to see how close she can buzz the cyclist without hitting them.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:46 AM
DrewN
6th Gear
that was a great read. I've also wondered why the hell my key fob looks like the starship Enterprise, and that it serves no purpose design wise other than looking different.

Especially that part about depressing the brake to start the car - priceless

Old 08-10-2008, 11:56 AM
matty125
5th Gear
He's mad the bank turned him down for financing, got dumped by a girlfriend who owns a MINI, probably lost his house in the crunch and got an STD during college having his own Homo experience. After all, seen those tight nut hugger spandex shorts they flash all over town.
So what type of wine do you recommend for Seafood alfredo with a dash of Garlic?

Old 08-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Ed.A
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by matty125
He's mad the bank turned him down for financing, got dumped by a girlfriend who owns a MINI, probably lost his house in the crunch and got an STD during college having his own Homo experience. After all, seen those tight nut hugger spandex shorts they flash all over town.
So what type of wine do you recommend for Seafood alfredo with a dash of Garlic?
Holy $h&t! Now that was funny

Old 08-11-2008, 05:21 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
The only thing "green" about his article is the envy and/or jealousy he has over the Mini. Poor chump..

Old 08-11-2008, 05:36 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Sounds like this author experimented with graphiti and homo thingy while majoring in liberal arts...BTW, what's "texting"?
Originally Posted by schmoopy
Came across this little "opinion" posted on this site:
http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/

"...The Mini Cooper is the Felt Curbside of automobiles in that it's a neutered version of something that was once authentic, it evokes racing for people who will never race, and it's "cute" in a completely derivative and studied way. As a cyclist, I find Minis particularly annoying, because the trendier neighborhoods of Brooklyn are filled with them, and they're generally driven by the sorts of people who text their friends to ask them what kind of wine they should pick up for the party as they roll through stopsigns into busy intersections. It's only fitting then that these rolling graduation presents would be sold as a way to " go green." The people "going green" these days are the same people who did graffiti or experimented with homosexuality at their liberal arts college--they enjoy flirting with a lifestyle they don't understand in an environment where it's looked upon favorably, but as soon as it becomes difficult, unsafe or embarrassing they conveniently abandon it. Fortunately for them, you don't have to give up your car to "go green." Instead, you just need to buy a new one with marginally better gas mileage. And fortunately, "going green" also allows you to measure just how pretentious you are by calculating your "carbon footprint." Or, in the case of the Mini, your "carfun footprint." Hey, if people want to "go green" by buying a car, or they want to go vegan by ordering a hamburger instead of a cheeseburger, who am I to complain? But I still think a much better ad would have been: "Mini: It's Fun-tarded."

Old 08-11-2008, 07:11 AM
OWG
5th Gear
Originally Posted by roscoenj
HEY!

+2

I generally make my daily commute by bicycle, so I am definitely not feeling the love in this thread. Let's not get as far over the top as the BIKESNOB.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:40 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Sounds like this author experimented with graphiti and homo thingy while majoring in liberal arts...BTW, what's "texting"?
Um...you ARE kidding about the "texting" thing, right?

Old 08-11-2008, 07:42 AM
Wolfeee
6th Gear
BLAH BLAH BLAH.........

Quick Reply: R56 Disrespecting the MINI: He finds the MINI "annoying"