R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 What you dislike about your MINI but it's still awesome thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 02:40 PM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bgdc
What I dislike about my 2007 Mini Cooper S:

1. FWD
2. Pizza-dish speedo - worthless and gimmicky
3. Lack of temp and oil gauge
4. Frameless door glass
5. Slow power windows
6. HVAC sucks - totally powerless
7. Cheap interior fit and finish
8. Sport button will not default to on
9. Exhaust sticks out too far, easy to scuff pants or burn yourself
10. Doors lack detents, will not stay open
11. Plastic door handles in the interior
12. Paint coming off HVAC controls after only 17 months
13. RFTs
14. Lack of dealers - there isn't one in San Diego and that's super annoying for a city this size
15. CEL comes on once a month for a few days
16. No rain gutters on sides of car - if you crack open windows after a rainy day, interior gets sopped.
17. Short ratio on 6th gear that has engine turning high RPMs at highway speeds
18. Silly hoops surrounding toggles

It's a fun car to drive but it's got a fair number of design issues. Many of these problems could be fixed pretty easily by Mini with some decent R&D.
Wow. I guess you really don't like this car. I do think at least one doesn't count. The first one about the FWD.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:11 AM
investigator
4th Gear

1. FWD
4. Frameless door glass
5. Slow power windows
13. RFTs
14. Lack of dealers - there isn't one in San Diego and that's super annoying for a city this size
16. No rain gutters on sides of car - if you crack open windows after a rainy day, interior gets sopped.

It's a fun car to drive but it's got a fair number of design issues. Many of these problems could be fixed pretty easily by Mini with some decent R&D.
Seems to me if you bought a car knowing all these "I don't likes" that you have more money than (fill in the blank). Why in heavens name anyone would buy a front wheel drive car when you don't like front wheel drive cars is sure a mystery. Surely you knew it was front wheel drive before you bought it. I have never been a fan of FWD cars until I owned a VW GTI in the '90s. Loved it. I've driven US built FWD cars and hated them. The Mini is as good as the GTI if not better. Sell your Mini and buy a BMW.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:32 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also... why not have the tailpipe fix applied to your car? The exhaust on your 2007 S was recalled by MINI. So the next time you take it in for service, unless you specifically ask them not to (and they will NOT ask you, you must say something to them) they will replace your tail pipes with shorter ones that do not stick out past the edge of the bumper.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:08 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts

1. FWD
4. Frameless door glass
5. Slow power windows
13. RFTs

Interesting. But the MINI is still awesome.

What I dislike or like about my 2003 Mini Cooper S: (sorry not a 2007 MINI)

1. FWD- Better to be AWD but that would add to weight and expense. When I am out on the track or at performance driving events, the MINI is one of the very fastest FWD cars out there. Keeps up with many RWD sporty cars.
2. Pizza-dish speedo - Framed with chrome ring, a highlight of the dash.
3. Lack of temp and oil gauge- easily fixed with Scangauge II via OBDII.
4. Frameless door glass- A wonderful look and a standard on modern cars.
5. Slow power windows- As long as the windows work I'm happy.
6. HVAC ? - I always leave my AC off, only on for passengers
7. Cheap interior fit and finish- Repainted my silver door pulls, painted speaker grills black and added chrome rings, Blue Lapis two tone leather looks great after 6 years and my dash is custom painted wood finish. The main reason I could never sell the car- simply one of a kind and easy to do with a MINI.
8. DSC/Sport button will not default to on/off- I only drive in sport mode DSC off at the track, otherwise DSC on always.
9. Exhaust sticks out too far- Tips when hot stick out a bit more, aftermarket exhaust looks and works great
10. Doors lack detents- I time my entry and exit to take advantage of auto door movements.
11. Plastic door handles in the interior- did scratch and scuff, so I painted them with metallic bright silver with clear coat and also did the speaker rings. Now really nice looking. Dark Anthracite much better than plain silver finish from factory.
12. Paint coming off HVAC controls- never happened to me, my controls are in good shape.
13. RFTs- sold to another owner, had 6 to 8 sets of wheels and tires all non runflats since. I customize the ride quality and handling for the outing.
14. Lack of dealers - Could be limited, I have worked very well with our local dealer. All you need is one good dealer.
15. CEL comes on once a month- possible but easily fixed with OBDII code reader. It's fun to read and remove codes but I might get a code only twice a year if that much now.
16. No rain gutters on sides of car - I get in and drive first to remove the excess water then if needed open the window. Most times I leave the windows closed.
17. Short ratio on gears that has engine turning high RPMs- Comes in very handy during performance driving at very high revs up to redline and sounds great- I get comments at the track about how much people like to watch the MINI.
18. Hoops surrounding toggles- Each now covered with chrome to match chrome rings on speakers and dials. Give it a great dressy look esp at night.

Well after 6 years and 56,000 miles it's been an adventure and I can't wait for my son to go off to college so I can drive the MINI daily once again. My neighbors tell me they can tell when I drive by vs my son.

Last edited by minihune; 08-22-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:44 PM
RockyR
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate the radio, dash computer and left stalk "programming" feature.
They needed someone from marketing to design that crap and not some computer geek. It should be as elegant as my iPhone.

I dislike the headrests that are too far forward.
I love everything else and have no regrets buying this car.
09 - Had it a year - 10K - no problems.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:57 PM
AkFarina
Banned

1. FWD
4. Frameless door glass
5. Slow power windows
13. RFTs

Hahahah Wow someone has OCS (only child syndrome)!!!

What i dont like about mini is that it causes people like you to Cry about stupid stuff.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:22 PM
()()==
2nd Gear
I'm sure I've got way more than 18 complaints if I plumb the depths of everything I'm at least mildly upset about. I still love the car. We list them because we care.

After 15K, my single biggest design/quality gripe is the crappy, loose gearshift linkage. I've mashed my synchros several times (and rev limited at least once) because of the vague linkage. It really is out of character in a car with such great suspension, tight steering, fantastic brakes, and gobs of torque. And it is getting worse with mileage. (But I'd still choose the manual over auto.)

Of things that are within the control of the buyer, I'd recommend against the LSD. Tramlining under power can be quite nasty on an LSD car, especially when it's wet. Perhaps counterintuitively, I think LSD hurts snow traction, or at least predictability. IMO, the traction control is plenty good unless you track your car and seriously lift your inside tire.

I would probably include the ideosyncratic ticks, clunks, pops, and whines as complaints, but like a comfortable relationship, I now find them charming.

Within easy control of distribution policy, I am annoyed that my nearby BMW dealer is not authorized to do maintenance and warranty repairs. I am too embarrassed to post my maintenance status. C'mon, BMW. Cross-licensing and cross-training would probably result in net increase in service business because drivers will use a local dealer rather than put off work or seek other options. With such a sparse MINI dealer network, this is a major pain. I would recommend against buying a MINI to Idaho and Alaska residents or Washington residents who don't live within a comfortable drive from Tacoma. You pay too much for the included maintenance that is too much of a pain to use.

That's about all that rises to a level sufficient to post. It's a pretty nice car, overall.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:25 PM
investigator
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ()()==
I'm sure I've got way more than 18 complaints if I plumb the depths of everything I'm at least mildly upset about. I still love the car. We list them because we care.

After 15K, my single biggest design/quality gripe is the crappy, loose gearshift linkage. I've mashed my synchros several times (and rev limited at least once) because of the vague linkage. It really is out of character in a car with such great suspension, tight steering, fantastic brakes, and gobs of torque. And it is getting worse with mileage. (But I'd still choose the manual over auto.)

Of things that are within the control of the buyer, I'd recommend against the LSD. Tramlining under power can be quite nasty on an LSD car, especially when it's wet. Perhaps counterintuitively, I think LSD hurts snow traction, or at least predictability. IMO, the traction control is plenty good unless you track your car and seriously lift your inside tire.

I would probably include the ideosyncratic ticks, clunks, pops, and whines as complaints, but like a comfortable relationship, I now find them charming.

Within easy control of distribution policy, I am annoyed that my nearby BMW dealer is not authorized to do maintenance and warranty repairs. I am too embarrassed to post my maintenance status. C'mon, BMW. Cross-licensing and cross-training would probably result in net increase in service business because drivers will use a local dealer rather than put off work or seek other options. With such a sparse MINI dealer network, this is a major pain. I would recommend against buying a MINI to Idaho and Alaska residents or Washington residents who don't live within a comfortable drive from Tacoma. You pay too much for the included maintenance that is too much of a pain to use.

That's about all that rises to a level sufficient to post. It's a pretty nice car, overall.
Loose linkage? Mine is as tight and accurate as any manual gearbox I've ever driven and that includes a few BMW 3 series over the years. You should get to your dealer and have it corrected.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:08 PM
()()==
2nd Gear
Really? I was wondering why I wasn't reading tons of bitter complaints about the linkage...

I'll make sure this gets on my service list -- for the possible day that I make the trek to the dealer for service.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:16 PM
zarote
2nd Gear
Wow, there are several things that bother me:
1 - the power window operation what a PITA
2 - the torque steering is brutal - even in sport mode
3 - this will be the third time into service for the IPod connection
4 - the rattles I have had to fix myself because of the dealers inability to fix
5 - yes, the run flats suck, but without a spare, options are few
6 - drivetrain noise; I had a '73 Pinto that was quieter
7 - engine noise -- see above
8 - radio controls suck

honestly I don't know that I would buy another Mini.