R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 I got a ding!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 11:11 AM
navicaph
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a ding!

So I parked at the local Whole Foods parking lot. I come out and my heart shatters. Only 2 1/2 weeks old and then this .

Attached Thumbnails I got a ding!-dsc_0221.jpg  

Last edited by navicaph; 08-13-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:14 AM
eR1c
5th Gear
****, I am so sorry.
That fn' sucks big time.

I am sure it's fixable, ...yet you'll have to pay some $$ to get it fixed. Sucks... I feel your pain.

My Mini is only 6 weeks old and I have a small rock chip on the hood. I've ordered a paint repair kit (dr color chip which I've used w/ success in the past) to repair the chip myself. Unfortunately a ding is more involved and will probably require an expert to fix.

It is fixable if that helps you w/ your pain at all.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:38 AM
hdvato
3rd Gear
Oh that blows! Inconsiderate rat bastages

Old 08-13-2008, 11:45 AM
mwedge
3rd Gear
I feel for you. I got a ding exactly as yours. Same location and about the same size. When to a PDR guy that was recommended by fellow MINI owners and he got the ding out. You can not even tell it was ever there. Took him about 45 minutes and cost $60.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:47 AM
eR1c
5th Gear
Took him about 45 minutes and cost $60.
That is great!

Old 08-13-2008, 12:16 PM
jw34
6th Gear
That's decent size ding. Someone must have opened a door with some force.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Apple
6th Gear
I found a scuff on my black fender.....hope black wow works

Old 08-13-2008, 12:32 PM
05Greenie
4th Gear
That bites big time

I wonder if it would be worth seeing if the market has a camera, wouldn't it be awesome if the accident was captured.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:38 PM
minimalistic
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
potty mouth

Old 08-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Same place, opposite side.
The first one feels like a knife in the heart... followed immediatly by a strong desire for revenge.
I had a dream the night after it happened. Comfortably nestled down on the roof of the supermarket, my ghilie suit making me all but invisible, I tracked across the parking lot, my whole world contained within the circle of the Unertl MST-100 10x fixed day scope mounted on the M40A3 sniper rifle that was pressed into the socket of my shoulder. Waiting... patiently waiting...
It was a dream, OK? Don't yell at me.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:48 PM
annasassy86
2nd Gear
this isn't quite the same thing because i've had my mini since may, but i have a bodykit on it and i came into the driveway too quickly and scuffed the bottom of the kit on the raised portion that is on each side of a driveway. but i hated myself for a day straight. i'm not sure if it's worse to self-inflict damage on your mini or have someone else do it.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:50 PM
TECENG
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Ancient Mariner
The first one feels like a knife in the heart... followed immediatly by a strong desire for revenge.
I had a dream the night after it happened. Comfortably nestled down on the roof of the supermarket, my ghilie suit making me all but invisible, I tracked across the parking lot, my whole world contained within the circle of the Unertl MST-100 10x fixed day scope mounted on the M40A3 sniper rifle that was pressed into the socket of my shoulder. Waiting... patiently waiting...
I had that same dream!!!!!!

Old 08-13-2008, 01:06 PM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TECENG
I had that same dream!!!!!!
Yeah, but did you sqeeeeeeze the trigger?

Old 08-13-2008, 01:12 PM
Parkerton
4th Gear
Alright, c'mon guys...back on track.

Let me ask you this...how would you handle it if you had been in the car at the time?

It's too small to report to insurance and exchange info. But it's kindof a big enough deal that it would be tough to let go. I'd be conflicted, but ultimately I would just shake my head and move on. Guess I'm just low key that way...how would you handle it?

Old 08-13-2008, 01:16 PM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
I was sitting in a restaurant looking out the window. I saw a big SUV pull in beside my precious MINI. And then I saw a man walk around to the passenger side second door, swing it open to extricate his snot-nosed whiney child from its carseat, and BAM, dinged my MINI in the exact same place as yours (opposite side).

PDR Pro $75

Old 08-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
Well, don't leave us hanging! Did you go out to confront said man and snot-nosed whiney child? And did he pay the $75?

Old 08-13-2008, 01:39 PM
thejokell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Parkerton
Alright, c'mon guys...back on track.

Let me ask you this...how would you handle it if you had been in the car at the time?

It's too small to report to insurance and exchange info. But it's kindof a big enough deal that it would be tough to let go. I'd be conflicted, but ultimately I would just shake my head and move on. Guess I'm just low key that way...how would you handle it?
If I saw it happen? Get information and have the owner pay for the dent repair. And if they refused, put an equal size dent in their car when they walked away.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That looks like a perfect candidate for this.Worked for me.Ten bucks at Walmart.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:41 PM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
Tops of supermarkets don't tend to look like vegetation... You sure you were all but invisible?

My dreams would probably involve leaving an improvised spike strip under each of the 4 tires of the offending vehicle.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:42 PM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
Well, don't leave us hanging! Did you go out to confront said man and snot-nosed whiney child? And did he pay the $75?
Yes, I did. And he denied it. I started laughing. I said...would you mind opening your door just a tad so we can compare ding to door jam?

While holding his little darling he told me to "F*%k off, B!tch...you got no witnesses".

Rather than be arrested for assault, I let it go. I knew how much the PDR would cost me, and he wasn't worth bail money.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:45 PM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
Originally Posted by tigwantstoplay
Yes, I did. And he denied it. I started laughing. I said...would you mind opening your door just a tad so we can compare ding to door jam?

While holding his little darling he told me to "F*%k off, B!tch...you got no witnesses".

Rather than be arrested for assault, I let it go. I knew how much the PDR would cost me, and he wasn't worth bail money.
Yeah... I would've let him go on in, then when he came back out to his vehicle mysteriously dented and tires slashed...

"Oh my, I must've gotten here right after the culprits finished! It's a shame there were no witnesses! Oh well, have a nice day!"

(Ok, maybe I wouldn't have... but the urge would definitely be there.)

Old 08-13-2008, 01:45 PM
DanF
5th Gear
To most people a car is an appliance and thinks everyone is the same. Park away from other cars or only park next to clean sports cars or don't park at all if the lot is too full. I have seen people back into cars in parking lots and just continue on like nothing happened. Most people don't care about other people property unfortunetely especially automobiles.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:50 PM
navicaph
1st Gear
ME TOO! Only I was day dreaming at my desk at work.

I contacted a couple paintless dent removal places, hope I can get it fixed before the weekend. I haven't even told the wife yet, I think she would flip.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DanF
To most people a car is an appliance and thinks everyone is the same. Park away from other cars or only park next to clean sports cars or don't park at all if the lot is too full. I have seen people back into cars in parking lots and just continue on like nothing happened. Most people don't care about other people property unfortunetely especially automobiles.
Gotta agree somewhat with that, but being a thoughtless twit is no justification for those actions.
(?... where did I lay that rifle...?)

Old 08-13-2008, 02:07 PM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
People just have no respect for others property anymore

Quick Reply: R56 I got a ding!